A mother’s cry

My sons, how long will you ignore my cries from the pain in my gut, wailing night and day when I sit in the courthouse, or stand in its yard watching the guard take you away to be shut behind the bars of the prison which hides you away from your freedom in society.

How long will the pangs of grief linger when I watch you being lowered in the grave not from sickness, or accident or natural death, but from your own demise, engaging yourself in the life of guns against your own brother whether biological or not.

My sons, have I not chosen to bring you into this world rather than abort you, have I not carried you for nine months and at the end of that time brought you forth with pain that placed me in a position of life or death?  Did I not nurture you from the breast and made sure you were well nourished?  Did I not pray day and night to the Lord God Almighty for your safety all the day long?  Did I not take you to the house of God to be nourished in the things of God which laid a firm foundation for life?  Did you not receive a firm education and the teachings of right and wrong.

How be it now that you have chosen a path that leads to destruction, killing your own brother, neighbour, friend or foe.  Did I not alert you from the Word of God that if you live by the sword you will die by the sword?

My sons, you have allowed those who should be your keeper to sway you from the truth and facts of life for good and honest living which you were taught, so that they can become rich. Were you not taught that the love of money is the root of all evil?

Am I, your mother dead, or your father, or your siblings, or your children or your extended families?  Do you not care about the pain and the anguish you put us through when you allow your greed to direct your path?

Alas, my sons, you have turned from your upbringing, turned away from the morals and values you were taught,  you have allowed the greedy to use you as their footstool.  Now you have been caught.  Will those who used you be any help now in your time of trouble?  Certainly not! They will just find another victim to carry on their hunger for money and power.

And now my sons, I can only ask and humbly so, that you desist from being used by the greedy who because of your actions, live like kings and lords, while you have to watch your back and do evil to carry on.  They live in castles and kingdoms, while you run from one place to another having no rest.  You labour day and night for your survival, earning very little in the end while those who engage you in crime eat the fatted calf, can rest their head comfortably at night, wear the finest and live.  You are the one doing their dirty dishes.

My plea to you, put down the guns, any weapon that is used on your intended victim, fall to your knees as you were taught and cry out to God who is able to turn your life around, who is able to clean you up, who is able to protect and guide you and who is able to help you to walk away from a life of crime.

I am tired of crying, I am tired of going through locked doors to speak to you and cannot touch you.  I am tired of your children asking, when will you come home. I am tired of the stares of those who know you and what you have done.  I am not tired of praying.

This is time to stop and think.  Where will your life end?  When your rivals or your masters of crime cannot get you because you fouled up their plans, then they will look for your family.  Have you become so selfish that you put your very own family in danger?

I pray God will open your blinded eyes to the understanding that you are weak and that you need help, that is, divine help.  If you are willing to accept and confess that you need help, then God certainly will help you.  Please sons, don’t continue in this mess, come out.

Now my sons, the Lord is your light and salvation, turn to Him now, the Lord is the strength of your life, turn to Him now, the Lord is your deliverer and keeper, turn to Him now,  the Lord is your provider, turn to Him now.

Please, my sons, walk away from a life of doom while you can. Jesus Christ our Saviour and mediator will ask of our Heavenly Father on your behalf, and our Heavenly Father who created us all, and who love us with an unconditional love will have mercy, pardon you of all your sinful ways and cleanse you from all unrighteousness.  You must be willing to repent and turn away from a life of crime and eventually your own destruction.

I am, your mother.

26 Responses to A mother’s cry

1. Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose August 11, 2017 at 10:18 am

Were is the stop the violence movement on BIM quit crying!no offense and turn pain into action’s people the scourge is real gun deaths and maiming are real.
    Where is that BAJAN PRIDE and can do attitude why are you all ceding the ground to a few cretins, stone them, burn their houses down, i dont mean in a literal sence but abstractly! by exposing them lost their pictures on eanted posters, fight like they do with no mercy.
    Come on BIM rise up

2. Janelle Wickham
    Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 10:21 am

This is so touching and true.

3. Michael Crichlow
    Michael Crichlow August 11, 2017 at 10:24 am

As a father and parent ..i do not wish such pain even on my enemies

4. Allison Miller-coombes
    Allison Miller-coombes August 11, 2017 at 10:55 am

Wow very powerful

5. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks August 11, 2017 at 10:57 am

Very well written

6. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner August 11, 2017 at 11:25 am

Very good very true let’s hope they listening.

7. Gladys Collymore
    Gladys Collymore August 11, 2017 at 11:33 am

A very nice heart wrenching cry, but will any of these young followers read this? I hope so and do the right thing.

8. Janelle Wickham
    Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 11:51 am

This hits home for.me.I have a brother whom I love dearly, who is currently behind bars for stealing, I sat and wrote every piece of this letter,with tears in my eyes.Who feels it knows it,nobody knows what you go through as a mother or family member of someone who is involved in crime.But only God knows and has the power to change them.

9. Pat BB
    Pat BB August 11, 2017 at 12:39 pm

They r so ungrateful, they play tough in their so-called friends eyes, not realizing the pain they put their decent Mothers through, it is the worse pain u can ever go through but u have to b strong enough to fight it, harden ur heart from the pain to safeguard ur health….not easy but u have to try, it gets easier as the days go by.

• Janelle Wickham
      Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 1:01 pm

True Pat BB,some are very ungrateful and don’t want to listen to nothing that those who care dearly for them have to say.But would rather listen to tgeir so called friends.No one knows the shame and pain as a family member you go through.But I urge young women to open their eyes and don’t try to grow up too fast, go to school and get a proper education,and try to choose your friends wisely.Because a lot of this mess starts from the choices we make as females in choosing partners.Every person that will have sex with you is not father material.And when we go blinded and get pregnant for the wrong types of males these problems will be the end result.We need more females in society coming forward and bekng mentors to young women, teaching them about decision making and even sharing some of they own personal life experiences, to help shape and mold them.We here in Barbados should set up a mentorship programme for young women and men.Where at least 60 adults male and female will have a child to mentor for about a year.And as the programme grows, more people get on board. Involved in the programme can be a psychologists, nurse, counselor, mentor,a true believer in god, someone who has lived a wayward life and now on the path on turning their life around.We have to do something and speak life into our youth.Because all of them or not fortunate enough to have someone to geniunely show they love them.

• Pat BB
      Pat BB August 11, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Janelle Wickham girl, ur correct but alotta the young have the mindset that if their Parents don’t have a problem with what they r doing nobody else can’t tell them anything, the ones that have decent Parents who did it all and yet gone astray, r just longing to experience another way of life, all we can do is put them in God’s hands

• Janelle Wickham
      Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Yes its true,but quite obciuosly we are not going to be able to change all of their thinkings and behaviours,some will listen,some will not.But the ones who dont heed warning at the same time still need to know that there is some place to go when there are ready.Im a young person and I urge you,dont give up on the youth in our society all is not lost.If we give up society gets no better, whenever u can,talk positively too the youth,do it from your heart,it may seem to you like they are not listening but trust me you will change at least one life for the better. All will not listen, but u can make a difference in at least one life.I dont know u personally but I hear mr.bowen shout u out on mornings on the radio,you are older than myself but we must be the change we want to see.People will say to why u have anything to say to people hard ears children for, but please dont let that be a detterent.Dont give up on the youth,let us go back to a people of looking out for one another.A mother cant do it alone.May god bless u Pat BB

• Pat BB
      Pat BB August 11, 2017 at 1:56 pm

If u knew me u wouldn’t b telling me so, instead u would b telling me I’m a good person and continue talking and doing for the young ppl, my daughter is always telling me she don’t know how I does get it do, that she does see children cussing ppl when they try talking to them, it’s the way u talk to them..
      Unfortunately my son has gone astray now that he has become an adult but my daughter’s head is very much still on and made me very proud, no two r the same

• Pat BB
      Pat BB August 11, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Blessings to u as well thanks, have a fabulous Friday and wonderful weekend

• Janelle Wickham
      Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm

This is the same with my brother and I.My brother has choosen a path of stealing and that tears me apart,the shame and pain I feel as a sister.But I love him,I know society will judge him and I know many will speak negative things.But I always say to people put yourself in another man shoes.You no what I often smile at, when someone commits a crime and the first thing u hear society say is pop their necks,lock them up and throw away the key.But if it was their child would they say the same thing?Dont get me wrong as long as a person is guilty of a crime they should be held accoutable for there actions,but I dislike when people try to put all the blame on parents,yes some of the blame goes towards parents.But u can take a horse to water but u cant make it drink.Many of these people that shout hard and say do this and do that to someone that has committed a crime would sit with their tails between their legs if it was their child or family member.Who feels it knows it.And our only judge is the almighty god.As it relates to youth every action is a change reaction. If u approach a person in a hostile manner,what do u expect would be the outcome? When the youth become disrespectful too adult,most of the its because of the approach of the adult.You cant expect to disrespect someone and demand respect, no matter the age.Dont be blinded Pat BB many adults speak about the behaviours of the youth,but they never say to themselves, the behaviours the youth exhibit or what they see in front them daily or all learnt behaviours.

• Pat BB
      Pat BB August 11, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Well a woman told me a man said that I’m proof that it isn’t always the Mother’s fault so I will continue to hold my head high and ignore ppl coz a brek down merchant don’t care who break down

• Janelle Wickham
      Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Hmm people will always judge you,without knowing what u go through.Any right thinking parent would send their child to steal or take someones life,every mother would want the best for their child.Every mother would want a child who makes them proud, but unfortunately all won’t turn out that way.

10. Bonita Weekes
    Bonita Weekes August 11, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Janelle sorry for your pain but the sad thing is that the people who should read that letter will never read it. How can one go right and the other choose wrong, sure you were both raised the same. Any mention if God is often met with disgusting comments but just as God is real Satan is also real. His job is to destroy and he knows that in order to destroy the society you have to first destroy the man, when he gets him then it’s easy to get the family, with the family in shambles there is nothing left. I can only hope that this experience will bring about change in your brother’s life.

• Janelle Wickham
      Janelle Wickham August 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm

When I said I wrote the letter, I meant re-wrote it.Not the person who posted it,I re wrote the letter on paper because all of it is what I feel. So I can relate too it, my bad how I put it seemed like I wrote the letter.Yes I pray for him, I cry daily that god changes his thinking. I no god can change him.

11. Samud Ali
    Samud Ali August 11, 2017 at 3:05 pm

and all over Barbados, those sons who have gone astray are reading this and changing their lives

• Peter Lowe
      Peter Lowe August 11, 2017 at 4:48 pm

No way… these fellows don’t even listen to the news

12. Pamela Ince-Taylor
    Pamela Ince-Taylor August 11, 2017 at 4:44 pm

This brought tears to your eyes.

13. Shari Ramsay
    Shari Ramsay August 11, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Not a mother but I feel the pain. So many young men out there are lost and have no sense of purpose. Young men you have value there is a purpose for your life do not become the next statistic. Live your purpose.

14. Petra August 12, 2017 at 6:12 am

too many parents spoil their children from small. let them do as they like. no discipline. how they expe to pull them back now. bend the tree from small. they cussing out parents. mine did not mess with this crazy woman

15. Maria August 12, 2017 at 10:45 am

This is the behavior of a lot of young black males here in thr US