Remembering those who died on torpedoed ship

The maritime charity Sailors’ Society recently commemorated the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the cargo ship SS Belgian Prince, in which 38 people, including a Barbadian man, died.

In commemoration of the centenary, Sailors’ Society’s chief executive officer Stuart Rivers placed a wreath at the Portsmouth Naval Memorial, where one of the lost crew is remembered.

Sailors’ Society’s CEO Stuart Rivers lays a wreath at the Portsmouth Naval Memorial in England. 

The SS Belgian Prince had been travelling from Liverpool with a load of blue clay, bound for Newport News, Virginia in the United States, when it was torpedoed by a German U-boat in the Atlantic Ocean 100 years ago.

That night, 38 men drowned, including the 27-year-old Barbadian and trimmer, whose name was given only as N Clarke. The ship’s captain, Harry Hassan, was taken below deck on the U-boat, never to be seen again.

Only three men, who were cared for by Sailors’ Society, survived to tell the story.

Chief Engineer Thomas Bowman’s account of the night’s events tells of the horror that unfolded.

“About 7:50 p.m. on July 31, I was on the after deck of the ship on watch. I was taking a stroll and having a smoke. Suddenly, I heard a shout, ‘here’s a torpedo coming,’ and I looked and saw the wake of what I took to be a torpedo coming towards the ship on the port side. I shouted a warning, but had hardly got the words out of my mouth when the torpedo struck us.”

Bowman was thrown on the deck. When he got up, he found his ship was taking on water; they were about 175 miles from Irish soil.

Like many of the crew, he took to a lifeboat.

As the men clambered on board the lifeboats, the submarine fired at the Belgian Prince, disabling its communication equipment.

Two of the Belgian Prince survivors who were helped by maritime charity Sailors’ Society.

The Germans ordered the lifeboats over, taking Captain Hassan below deck.

“The rest of us were ordered on board and lined up on her deck,” said Bowman.

The Belgian Prince’s crew was ordered to take their lifebelts and overcoats off and lay them on the submarine’s deck.

“Then the sailors came along searching us, and deliberately kicked the majority of the lifebelts overboard,” said Bowman.

Under the command of Wilhelm Werner, the German crew then destroyed the lifeboats with axes.

“The small boat was left intact, and five German sailors got into her and went towards the ship. When they reached the Belgian Prince, they signaled with a flash lamp to the submarine.”

What happened next was the height of brutality.

“The submarine moved ahead about two and a half miles, then stopped, and after a moment or two I heard a rushing sound, like water rushing into the sinking tanks of the submarine, and I shouted ‘Look out – she is sinking!’”

The submarine descended into the Atlantic, dragging the Belgian Prince’s crew into the cold water. A few of the men had managed to keep their lifejackets from the Germans but the majority stood no chance.

Bowman tried to jump into the sea but was carried down with the submarine.

“When I came to the surface I could
only see about a dozen of the crew left, including one boy who was shouting for help. I swam towards him. He had a lifebelt on, but was about paralyzed, and I held him up during the night. He became unconscious, and eventually died while I was holding him up.

“When day broke, I saw the Belgian Prince still afloat. I began to swim towards her, and when I had gone a short distance I saw her blow up.”

After the ship sank, Bowman managed to stay afloat long enough to be saved by a British patrol boat.

Able seaman George Silessi also survived the night, having swum towards his stricken vessel.

“I got on board, and about half an hour afterwards a German submarine came alongside. I got into the water. Two shells were fired at the Belgian Prince, which sank in two or three minutes,” he said.

“I saw a small boat, which I swam to and got into – the same boat the Germans took away the previous evening – and about half an hour afterwards I was picked up by a British patrol boat.”

In his statement, the third survivor, American Willie Snell, the ship’s second cook, said: “I concealed a lifebelt which I had picked up, which the German commander failed to notice when he was kicking the lifebelts overboard.”

Snell put his lifejacket on and when the submarine disappeared into the water, swam towards the doomed Belgian Prince.

“At about 5 a.m., I was about one mile off the vessel when she broke in two. Immediately afterwards, I saw a submarine come up. I turned and swam away as quickly as I could.”

Snell was also rescued by a British patrol boat and taken to Londonderry.

The survivors were supported in Londonderry by maritime charity the British and Foreign Sailors’ Society, which had opened a Sailors’ Rest in the city in February 1917.

The CEO of the charity, now called Sailors’ Society, said: “This horrific event is one of the many examples of merchant seafarers paying the ultimate sacrifice to keep supply chains open during times of conflict. A century on, Sailors’ Society is still supporting the world’s merchant seafarers through crises such as piracy, kidnapping and abandonment.”

After the war ended, the Allies demanded Werner’s extradition as a war criminal.

The German commander had committed similar atrocities and was accused of murdering the crew of the SS Torrington in alarmingly similar circumstances to the ill-fated Belgian Prince crew.

Before reaching trial, Werner fled to Brazil under a false name.

He returned to Germany in 1924. Proceedings against him were dropped two years later, enabling him to climb the ranks of the Nazi party where at one point he belonged to Heinrich Himmler’s personal staff.

Werner died in May 1945, having never faced justice for his crimes.

Wilhelm Werner taken circa 1933.

Captain Harry Hassan was declared legally dead in a court in June 1919.

The body of the Belgian Prince’s chief officer, Neil McDougall Morton, washed ashore at Cuan Ferry on September 23, 1917.

Source: (Sailors’ Society)

7 Responses to Remembering those who died on torpedoed ship

  1. Ossie Moore August 4, 2017 at 10:32 am

    I never knew that ! . . . . . very sad , RIP.

  2. Ossie Moore August 4, 2017 at 10:32 am

    I never knew that ! . . . . . very sad , RIP.

  3. Tee White August 4, 2017 at 12:16 pm

    This has zero to do with Barbados, really. Should we have a memorial for every incident in which a Bajan lost their life. This was a war between two criminal, white supremacist empires.

    • Hewers of wood August 4, 2017 at 7:53 pm

      @Tee White – Well said. And not one black person should have fought in any of their nation induced mess either. Then some Filthy, simple minded people (blacks too) would tell you to forget about the black HOLOCAUST aka slavery.

  4. Belfast August 4, 2017 at 6:47 pm

    Weren’t these members of the British (civilian) Merchant Navy, who risked life and limb to supply us with food and other necessities during such troubled times? Lest we forget!

    • Hewers of wood August 4, 2017 at 7:58 pm

      @Belfast – They are all the same people/nation who created this well ORCHESTRATED mess. Usual plot is to create the problem and then give the solution = WAR – and in most cases it is usually against the indigenous people of the lands. Be HONEST and LOOK, forget about race commitment.

  5. Tony Waterman August 8, 2017 at 5:48 pm

    The TRUTH shall set us all free, the exception would be those of us who can’t stand the TRUTH.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *