Barbadians commemorate Emancipation Day with Bongani Festival

Barbadians from all walks of life have begun celebrations to mark Emancipation Day today with a Bongani Festival.

The day’s events got started at the Emancipation Statue at the JTC Ramsay Roundabout, Haggatt Hall, St Michael with libations and ceremonial ancestral reverence.

The group, which consists of Pan African organizations, Government officials and diplomats, then embarked on the Freedom Walk.

To the rhythmic beat of drums, the participants walked through communities in The Ivy and My Lord’s Hill.

The walk culminates at the Blenheim Playing Field for the official ceremony.

Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office, Senator Patrick Todd, other Government and diplomatic officials, and representatives of Pan-African organizations will deliver messages at that ceremony.

8 Responses to Barbadians commemorate Emancipation Day with Bongani Festival

1. Sheron Inniss August 1, 2017 at 11:39 am

It seems to me that my definition of emancipation is different to others, so I don’t walk ’bout too much. At “Ifill’s Beach” there was a thriving rental beach umbrella trade. It was not my relative’s and the property is hers! The same thing on my grand’s property! When I start selling on the beach none of then NCH wardens better don’t approach me; furthermore lay a finger on me. Steupse

Indeed I am thankful but all of these shams; give me a break.

2. Sheron Inniss August 1, 2017 at 11:39 am

It seems to me that my definition of emancipation is different to others, so I don’t walk ’bout too much. At “Ifill’s Beach” there was a thriving rental beach umbrella trade. It was not my relative’s and the property is hers! The same thing on my grand’s property! When I start selling on the beach none of them NCH wardens better don’t approach me; furthermore lay a finger on me. Steupse

Indeed I am thankful but all of these shams; give me a break.

3. jrsmith August 1, 2017 at 1:14 pm

@,Sheron I, hail, hail, your your (11:39) this proves we are still under lock down……

4. Saga Boy August 1, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Some familiar faces. Sorry I could not attend. Some who usually walk are now in the great beyond. Happy Emancipation Day. Ain’t seeing white corporate Barbados celebrating. I wonder why?

5. Ann August 1, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I thought that all beaches were public property

6. Hewers of wood August 1, 2017 at 1:39 pm

@Sheron – I bet your definition is the same as mine. This was yet another yearly fun walk and wallowing in the sun among other things…………………..

7. Ossie Moore August 2, 2017 at 9:08 am

Emancipation Day ? . . . and yet the 5 % non Emancipators are still in charge ? What a big joke ! ! !

8. Bajan August 2, 2017 at 10:37 am

Can any one explain to me, please, what is a Bogani Festival? I searched google but did not find any information. Thanks.