‘Stun gun’ shot and killed on his birthday

The bloodstained mud in front of Soaliom Bar at Parish Land, Christ Church was the lingering remnant of a birthday celebration, which turned deadly in the wee hours of Friday morning.

The sombre faces of a few friends who sat together in the quiet community hours later, told the sad tale of the island’s 20th murder.

Thirty-four-year-old Colston Robinson, known to his friends as Stunna or Stun Gun, had earlier been toasting to another year of life with his loved ones at a karaoke lime, which was disrupted by a noisy dispute.

According to eyewitnesses, the deceased had intervened to stop the altercation and was threatened by one of the men involved.

No one expected what happened moments later.

“He [the alleged shooter] looked at me, then he looked at Stun Gun several times.  He left and he came back, but I didn’t know he went home for a gun. When he came back he shot Stunna. I was right beside Stunna,” a man who said he was Colston’s friend told reporters without giving his name.

Residents claim the deceased and the shooter had been at odds for years. In fact, it was said that they were involved in a vicious feud.

Yet no one expected Friday morning’s sad turn of events with residents explaining that even though Robinson had had various run ins with the law, he had sought in recent times to turn his life around by starting a family and settling down.

Stunna had he problems but all of us have problem. At least he made an effort to change. He had his girlfriend here and he was trying to make a family for her and his little daughter. He was trying to help his family and he [the alleged shooter] hurt it. He brek it up man,” one upset neighbour said.

Meantime, the owner of the bar, who did not want to give his name, said he was caught off guard by Friday morning’s incident outside his establishment.

“I heard a bang and I thought that it was that someone had thrown a bottle. I didn’t know someone had been shot till I heard the screaming.”

Robinson’s grieving mother Marcia Franklin never expected that she would lose her third born on his birthday.

“Somebody call me early Friday morning and tell me that Colston dead. I say, ‘how yuh mean that Colston dead?’ The say, ‘I tell yuh he dead, dead, dead’.  When I went down there, de boy did pun de ground there laying down. He did still warm. If he did get to the hospital quick enough he would have probably still make it,” she said recounting the incident.

Noting that police had called the ambulance, she said “when it arrived, one of the ambulance men said that they had a pulse . . . but given the time it tek to get he down there, the doctor said he couldn’t make it because he had the bullet right in his forehead,” she said, pleading at the same time for the authorities to address the gun crime that has been gripping the island.

The distraught Franklin, who said she was barely “hanging in”, added that her main concern now was her two-year-old granddaughter who Robinson has left behind.

“I here now worried bout that little child that he now gone long there and left. . . .  A little child gine two years in October.  I gotta be father and mother for that little child now.  The only child that he got,” the grieving mother said.

ryangilkes@barbadostoday.bb

6 Responses to ‘Stun gun’ shot and killed on his birthday

1. jrsmith July 29, 2017 at 4:25 am

Well another one , what is written in this case exposes a bigger fact , that family and friends knows a lot more about the gun culture ………. You have an argument go find a gun come back kill some one …. that simple ………… this is worse than the jungle…. frightening, very frightening ………….

2. Alex Alleyne July 29, 2017 at 5:31 am

Clear out of a “BUGS BUNNY and YOSEMITE SAM Cartoon”.
    Fellers smoking too much weed, can’t think straight for one minute. In the end , one will wind up on a cold slab in the morgue.

3. Don Keyote July 29, 2017 at 6:06 am

This case is a clear opportunity for the state to make a statement against wanton gun crime and the seemingly casual taking of lives that is taking place.

If, as reported, there is irrefutable evidence as to the identity and circumstances of the killing from eyewitnesses, a capable police force and Public Prosecutor’s office must to be able to prepare and bring a case against the perpetrator within three months.

Once a safe guilty verdict is obtained and the death sentence pronounced, appeals (if any) should be facilitated and the offender hanged within a year. No ifs and no buts.

Execution of a convicted murderer in independent Barbados must be seen as a punishment and not as a deterrent. If, as a result of quick and sure justice, others so inclined think twice before taking another’s life, so much the better.

Any dilatoriness on the state’s part will be seen as a dereliction of its duty to maintain law and order and protect its citizens from a now growing and frightening lawlessness.

4. jeffrey Durant July 29, 2017 at 8:00 am

I shop owner get on tv defending his shop stating clearly the incident didnt happen at his shop. but if he was selling people that drunk alcohol he should be charge too.

5. Sherlock Holmes. July 29, 2017 at 9:03 am

Why was the photo in the inset of the blood and gore necessary Barbados Today? Do you know of the term viewer discretion advised? Sometime in an effort to get the so called scoop you can definitely go too far. Please be mindful that it may deemed as offensive to some.Another thing the deceased has an actual name why the alias to headline this story? Is it for a desired effect? I do not find that amusing at all,just like the way you headline stories with a known criminal who goes by the monicker Lord evil which in my opinion gives credence to a miscreant who deserves no mention at all he has name that is known.His actual christian name should be headline followed by the stupid alias affixed to him.

6. Milli Watt July 29, 2017 at 9:30 am

I want my license to carry COP………I want my license to carry. If the criminals carrying illegally I want to carry legally.