Mother and son recount harrowing police incident

A St Michael mother is demanding answers from the Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) after her 17-year-old son was today detained for allegedly refusing to give his name and address to lawmen.

Serena Browne, of #70, Apartment B, Clapham said her son, Dre, was attending summer camp at the Luther Thorne Memorial School when the incident occurred.

She explained that one of Dre’s friends had telephoned her at work and informed her that the teenager had been taken into lawful custody.

“My husband and I, we didn’t know where he was. We had to call around to try and figure out which station he was at and what was going on because the friend he was with just told us that the police had him,” she told Barbados TODAY. “After calling around, my husband found out that he was at Worthing [Police Station] and he said that he would deal with it, and he went to get him,” she explained.

The teenager also explained in recounting the incident that there was an altercation involving some other campers and police were called in.

However, Dre said, as he and a group were leaving the Wildey, St Michael camp just after 4 p.m., one of his friends asked him what he would do if he were a police officer and someone had a gun in his face and his partner was nearby.

An upset Serena Browne checks her son Dre’s neck for bruises after today’s run-in with lawmen.

“I said that I would’ve told them, pass the gun,” he said, explaining that the private conversation was overheard by one of the investigating officers.

“So, the police like they didn’t hear that part; they only heard the part about the gun and the female officer approached and proceeded to talk to me,” Dre recounted.

The 17-year-old said she told him that his comment about the gun was not “something good to say”.

“The next officer came from around the back, in an aggressive manner, as the female officer was asking my name. I was not paying attention to her, because I was minding the officer that had the attitude and he started to curse and fling up my shirt and was touching me, wanting to know if he could search me.

“The lady asked, ‘where do you live?’, and as soon as I was going to tell her where I lived, a third officer came up behind me and said I was not responding to the question that I was asked.”

It was then that the teenager said that the “aggressive” male officer told him that there was somewhere that he could take him, after which he was taken into custody.

“He pulled my hand, locked off my neck and put me in the van.

A close-up of Dre Browne’s bruised neck.

“On our way down to the station, he rested his hand on my chest because he didn’t want me to move; all this time the other officer continued to hold my hand. When we got to the station, he got out, pulled me out of the van by my shirt, had my hand behind my head and held me by my neck.  I could not breath so I was struggling a bit

“He took me into a back room and from there they roughed me up, head locking me and pulling up my shirt and asked me more questions,” the teenager further alleged.

“They were calling me names and using a lot of negative language towards me.

“One of the officers even told me that if it was up to he, I would be six feet under and he would tell the people that I ran away from them.”

The reported ordeal lasted for more than an hour before Dre’s father arrived at the station, spoke to the officers and was allowed to leave with his son.

Based on both her son and husband’s accounts of the situation, Dre’s mother was very angry when spoke to Barbados TODAY. In fact, she deemed the police’s handling of the situation as downright disrespectful.

“One of them said, ‘see what I tell you? De parent black-garish, that’s why he so’, the mother reported, adding that while she fully understood that police have a job to do, “there is a right way and there is a proper way of doing things.

“Dre is a minor and I as a mother cannot fathom the idea of policemen locking off my 17 year old son’s neck and then got the nerve to threaten my child and tell my child that if he had been the one to pick him up, he would be six feet down and he would have said that my child run way from them. I have problem with that.  Who is going to protect us from the police?” she queried.

“If they find my child was disrespectful, I understand.  Put him in his place, but do not treat my child like a common criminal. He is far from that. Any human being would be upset if anybody approached them in that manner,” said the mother of the young man who was once dubbed a hero after he rescued a tourist who encountered difficulties at Browne’s Beach earlier in the year.

When contacted this evening, Public Relations Officer of the Royal Barbados Police Force, Acting Inspector Roland Cobbler confirmed the incident, saying officers attached to the Worthing Police Station responded to a report at the camp and during their investigations, had reason to speak to the young man.

Cobbler also said the 17-year-old was warned of intended prosecution for the alleged offence and released into the custody of his parents.

“The youngster was aggressive but the police still tried to deal with him in a manner which is civil,” the police spokesman said, adding that “if the parents have any complaints about the action or if they feel the police’s conduct was unprofessional they have the right to go to the Police Office of Professional Responsibility and file a complaint”.

However, he cautioned that “failing to give your name and address is an arrestable offence.

“If the police are carrying out an investigation and ask your name and address based on any suspicion, you are supposed to give your name and address,” Cobbler stressed.

However, in response, Dre’s mother asked: “When I complain for the police to the police, what is going to happen there? I am not comfortable with the way they have handled the matter, they have lied about the things they have done.  I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that they threatened my child.

“I am fearful for his life, in the event something happens, or they wanna retaliate,” she also said, while further questioning: “Who is going to deal with them, because I know all the police are not bad, . . . but who is going to deal with this bad batch to set them straight?”

ryangilkes@barbadostoday.bb

45 Responses to Mother and son recount harrowing police incident

1. Demetri Gill
    Demetri Gill July 26, 2017 at 12:49 am

Stop waste time Andrew pligram stop waste time

2. Boyce Jr Angus
    Boyce Jr Angus July 26, 2017 at 1:06 am

This is the height of indiscipline…. I doubt very much that their reason was a valid reason for taking him in,even so you are telling me there isn’t any other way ta take a man into custody except grabbing him up…..resisting my ass……a child with no history of police contact all of a sudden decide ta be a badman….police need to do their hob but do it properly……. PS I never yet hear nothing come from a complaint of misconduct against the cops to the cops….smh

• Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
      Lady-Stylez Pilgrim July 26, 2017 at 6:09 am

She has a right to file the complaint once done through the right channels it can be investigated.

3. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor July 26, 2017 at 1:47 am

Look…. Teach wunna children to respect d police….

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor July 26, 2017 at 4:34 am

First and foremost…. Respect is lacking in this little island… So teach wunna children to respect everyone…. D police need to respect ppl rights yes… But when d police ask wunna sons their name and address give it! Don’t act suspicious, don’t play bad in front your friends, just give up d information and don’t let a molehile become a mountain!

• Coombs Soyini
      Coombs Soyini July 26, 2017 at 5:59 am

Seem like them want to deal with everything like American officers

• Justin Moore
      Justin Moore July 26, 2017 at 6:34 am

Were you reading a different article, Sharon?

4. Puppa Weekes July 26, 2017 at 5:35 am

I have many concerns about the general conduct of the police where there is an attitude of aggression first. This definitely will not gain them many “friends”.

However almost everything about this situation could have been avoided, firstly the silly gun conversation would have me very concerned as a parent.

Considering the atmosphere in regards to gun crime, casually speaking about a gun “Pass the gun” is off the table, actually I think that you are definitely playing Russian Roulette with your life..

He also claimed that when the female officer was asking him his name he didn’t answer right away because he was distracted by the police officer behind him.

Then he claimed that he stopped listening to the male officer because the female officer was asking questions.

And the explanations goes on……..

My advice to any young persons would be to avoid all police contact where possible, if there is contact ignore friends and be respectful and cooperative which is not very fashionable with young persons.

5. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim July 26, 2017 at 5:49 am

Learn the laws of the island. Very accessible.

6. Bajan July 26, 2017 at 5:51 am

To the RBPF. My black Police brothers. I understand your frustrations in trying to guide our misguided young black brothers in a positive and productive path. I am suggesting, however, that had you asked the young man to step aside and engaged him in a stern, yet positive and honest adult conversation would have been far more effective than trying to scare the daylights out of him. Next time you encounter a wayward young man take a deep breath, relax and imagine for that few minutes that he is your brother or son. Look our young brother in the eye with respect and speak words of life and strength unto him. I assure you that even if he appears to ignore your words, that he will ponder on them in private and maybe one day months or years from then he will thank God that a Police Officer, a complete stranger, took time out to care about him and to plant seeds of hope in his life.

7. Boyce Jr Angus
    Boyce Jr Angus July 26, 2017 at 6:01 am

I see nuff bajans still got de yes sir no sir yes maam no maam mentality even when they’re being disrespected& demeaned…..the boy said he was giving information ta the female officer becaus she approached him but its his wors against the police& ya know what …..police don’t lie….unless they are white & the suspect is black……

8. Mark Rosmar July 26, 2017 at 6:03 am

What really intrigues me in this story is why both parents didn’t attend the police station to deal with the situation. Is this the norm for the family?

9. Donna Haynes
    Donna Haynes July 26, 2017 at 6:04 am

He doesn’t sound disrespectful to me if the story is correct but I guess I would have to be there because body language and facial expressions says a lot

10. Patrick July 26, 2017 at 6:22 am

I was not there but something in the youngter’s statement does not make sense or the police mad

11. Mandy July 26, 2017 at 6:26 am

America comin to bim

12. Joy July 26, 2017 at 6:44 am

5 young black TEENAGERS have been charged with murder in the last week. One victim was at an ATM getting her own money. The police had to be called in at a summer camp for CHILDREN. Why aren’t the parents concerned about the behavior of their children? What sense would it make to say pass the gun in the presence of the police? If there was a gun it would pose a danger to the police and the other people present including children. The fault lies with parenting, not policing.

Better parenting equals less need for policing!

• boujwali July 26, 2017 at 11:54 am

I agree fully with your sentiments…plus who says this story told to Barbados Today is fully accurate ? The youngsters have no respect for law and order. Point blank. As you said CHILDREN killed a whole woman. The law says as 16 You are no minor.

13. fedup July 26, 2017 at 7:37 am

He knew why he did not want to give his name. Next!!

14. Sherlock Holmes. July 26, 2017 at 7:37 am

The judges rules and the administrative directives pertaining to the operations of the police state that the police has a right to question any person whether suspected or not from whom they believe any useful information can be obtained, also when one is asked his or her name by an investigating officer one is expected to answer failure to do so can result in detention on suspicion.It amazes me that some are quick to vilify the police, have you people seen the ages of those recently charged with heinous crimes like murder? Some of these parents know exactly how their children behave and some don’t as a lot of these youngsters behave at times to impress their peers or just simply to belong.Here we have a young man who spoke about a gun and was overheard by an officer of the law and was in my opinion rightfully questioned he then claimed that he was responding to a question asked by one of his friends and claimed he was responding to a scenario,i see nothing wrong with him being questioned and his failure to obviously cooperate in a proper manner led to him being detained. Quite recently it was claimed a youngster at a certain school took to school a firearm, then it was stated that it was just a magazine from a firearm,i am still awaiting the true facts on that incident, but i will say this any talk about guns must be taken seriously by the police and the citizenry. I know how the youth behave and i am certain that he was not a lamb in this situation as he is claiming the media and the fact that people like to run to them for justification in publishing stories for sensationalism is creating a problem in this society that will reap it’s desired effect, this anti police movement is going to eventually cause problems and the public will bear the brunt of it. You cannot expect to vilify the police at every turn and then expect them to serve and protect to their fullest they will become very conscious of how they are being perceived and will act accordingly. It is my opinion that this youngster acted aggressively and more than likely resisted his detention his parents has now chosen to place this matter in this medium giving the impression that he did absolutely nothing wrong,you must always be cognizant of the fact that children will tell you one thing when in reality it is sometimes not an accurate representation of the true events. Who would have thought that that gruesome murder in St..John involved a very young relative of the victim i say no more.

15. Greengiant July 26, 2017 at 8:03 am

Young citizens refusing to even give their names and address to the police when required is the beginning of becoming a criminal. It simply means there’s no respect for the police, and none for the law of the land.

Parents can get as emotional as they wish, the problem is that even from within the home too many negative comments are made about the police within the earshot of children. Every time something happens we want to castigate the very force we turn to in our time of need. Teach children to have respect for the police and the law, and we will have better citizens.

See how many of our hard working adults are falling at the hands of our youth recently? This is the beginning of the end. We who have worked hard will be robbed, bullied, and killed for our earnings and valuable property by these same young people some of us are protecting. We adults need to step up our game. We recently adopted an eleven year old who came with the practise of doing as he liked. We have been working hard with him, and will continue to do so. These kids need to be saved from themselves, but some adults seem to be paying attention to the issues of the day and not the children. They only seem to remember they’re children when they have issues with the police.

16. Sam Clarke July 26, 2017 at 8:12 am

There is a serious break down in relations with police and the community. But it is all a symptom of the top leadership, and by that i mean the inept leadership of the Prime Minister and his group.
    There is so much collusion with criminal elements within the police force, that it has become a quasi criminal enterprise.
    When they see that no one is help accountable, they will continue to do what they are doing.
    By and large, members of the police force are hard working law abiding officers, but it is a few , who are allowed to spoil the batch.

As long as this sort of behavior is accepted my the seniors and other leaders in the department, the distrust between the public and police will continue.
    Hence so much unsolved murders and crime.
    The public has rights. So if i don’t want to tell you my name and address, that is my human right.

• Sherlock Holmes. July 26, 2017 at 11:00 am

You are speaking UTTER RUBBISH! SAM CLARKE!

17. gsmiley July 26, 2017 at 9:18 am

According to the report this is the same young gentleman who saved a tourist at Brownes Beach after she encountered difficulties and was hailed as a hero by all.

Are we saying that he has a Jekyll and Hyde personality?

Barbados Today:-Dre Browne is a real life hero.
    While playing in the sand with his Barbados Youth Service (BYS) friends after a long day of community service on Saturday, the 17-year-old Clapham, St Michael resident came to the rescue of a female tourist who had nearly drowned at Browne’s Beach.
    The aspiring fireman was on his way home when he saw a panicked husband by the side of his unconscious wife who had swallowed a large amount of water while diving.
    Having been trained in water safety by the Barbados Coast Guard and the BYS, Browne’s instincts quickly kicked in, moving immediately to perform CPR on the woman.
    “I just saw her and the instinct just kicked in to help . . . I did what I knew, so I asked him [the husband] if she was okay and ‘can I assist you’, and he said, ‘yes you can’, so I proceeded [to perform] CPR.

18. gsmiley July 26, 2017 at 9:21 am

Sorry for the lengthy post but I am just trying to understand.

19. gsmiley July 26, 2017 at 9:26 am

“After that . . . one of my friends called the ambulance so I stood by her side until the ambulance came,” the BYS recruit recounted, adding that all the while he was trying to keep the woman calm.
    The former Princess Margaret Secondary School student received a hero’s welcome from his neighbours and his mother, Serena Browne, who said she was proud of her son for his unselfish and courageous act, especially as he used the skills he had been taught at the BYS.

Heroic teen Dre Browne and his mother Serena Browne.
    “When he came in last night with the look on his face alone, I saw that he was excited and he was proud of the act he had done yesterday . . .
    “I just thought he just did a random act of kindness which we all should do at some time,” the beaming mother said.
    BYS Community Project Officer Cecilia Nebblet-Murray was present to congratulate the dutiful recruit.

Community Service Co-ordinator for the Barbados Youth Service Cecilia Nebleft (right) poses with the ‘hero’ and some of his well-wishers.
    She praised the teenager for his act of bravery saying, “It is really good when a student can actually practice what we teach them in school every day and it is really good that students were there to actually him see do a good deed.”

20. gsmiley July 26, 2017 at 9:28 am

Sorry again but I had to post the rest.

Did he suddenly switch?

Hmmm

21. Donild Trimp July 26, 2017 at 11:02 am

Sensationalistic journalism.

Garbage reporting.

Congratulations to the RBPF for doing a good job.

22. Joy July 26, 2017 at 11:05 am

Clearly he switched. Why does he have a problem giving the police his name? Why do the adults at a summer camp have to cslkbfor police assistance at a summer camp for children? They can’t control the same children !!!!!

23. Milli Watt July 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

police get called to a camp for children and he use gun in a sentence in front police………..if he ain’t a bad man he is a piece a bad man in waiting. If he looking for trouble in this present environment he going find it. Do as I do give de po po a wide berth and I mean wide.

24. Bajan July 26, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I have a few questions and comments.
    (1) Duties and Responsibilities of Camp Directors
    Did the Camp contact the juvenile’s parents immediately and inform them that their son was arrested and was being taken to Worthing Police Station? Does the Camp understand that Parents expect them to look after the rights and interests of their children, whether camper or counsellor? The Camp Director should gather sufficient information from the Police to pass onto the parent. Information such as the arresting Officer’s name and number, the offence for which the juvenile was arrested, which Police Station they are taking the juvenile to etc. The Camp Director must also make a decision whether an adult staff member should accompany the juvenile to the Police station as an ‘appropriate adult’ and wait there until their parent or guardian arrives. This is what Barbadian parents expect of a Camp Director or a School Principal.

(2) What was the Offence?
    What offence did the young man commit at Camp that the Officers required his name and address? Police NEVER said what offence was committed. The Police PRO said, “They would have asked him for his name and address based on his behaviour. He failed to give his name and address, which is an arrestable offence, [so] he was taken to the station and his parents contacted.” He further said, “If the police are carrying out an investigation and ask your name and address based on any suspicion, you are supposed to give your name and address,” REALLY? Are you serious? Where that law came from?

WHAT BEHAVIOUR? Was he fighting? Was he littering in a public place? Was he engaged in conduct likely to cause a breach of the Queen’s peace?

(3) When is a Citizen required to Give Police Name and Address
    A citizen is only required to give Police their name and address if they have been told that they are suspected of committing an offence and it is required that they provide their name and address for reporting purposes. Therefore IT IS NOT an offence for a person refusing to give their name and address to the Police unless:
    (a) it is required by law for a particular purpose under the law
    (b) or if the person is a suspect of a crime or traffic offence.

(4) Minor Child or Juvenile?
    I don’t think that 17 is considered a minor under Barbados laws for the purposes of police detention. In the UK the law was amended raising the age of what is considered a juvenile in Police custody from 16 to 17. In other words, a person 17 yr old is now considered a juvenile once they are arrested and taken into Police custody in the UK. I am suggesting that a 17 yr old in Barbados is still a vulnerable person in Police custody and Police should extend to them in the name of fairness, justice, and transparency, the protection and rights of a minor in Police custody.

25. Tony Waterman July 26, 2017 at 3:26 pm

@Lady-Stylez Pilgrim!!!! Investigated by Whom, The Police, are you NUTS, Detective Gittens Murdered Mr.Knight, nearly Murdered his Son, have you heard anything more about that yet???? NO NO NO, asi have said in the Past, Barbados NEEDS an S.I.U. (SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT) similar to what we have in Ontario, and I.A (INTERNAL AFFAIRS) in New York, made up of persons outside of the Policing Fraternity, and that also means NO Former Police Officers, they are Enough Private Highly Educated Persons in Barbados to form a Unit for that purpose, having the Police investigate themselves, is lakin to having the FOX look after the CHICKEN COOP.

26. Tony Waterman July 26, 2017 at 3:44 pm

@Bajan!!!! Unfortunately, the Constitutional Rights of Bajans are being Trampled openly, and the Legal Fraternity in Barbados is saying NOTHING at all.

Barbados Constitution
    CHAPTER III

PROTECTION OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND FREEDOM
    OF THE INDIVIDUAL

17. Protection against “arbitrary” search or entry.
    17.1. Except with his own consent, no person shall be subjected to the search of his person or his property or the entry by others on his premises.

for the purposes of authorizing the entry upon any premises in pursuance of an order of a court for the purpose of enforcing the judgment or order of a court in any proceedings

These happens to be the penultimate LAWS of the Land, and MUST be adhered to at ALL times and by ALL Para Military Services, unless they aree LEGALLY SUSPENDED for any Specific Reason.

Collaring that young Man and Injuring him for refusing to give his Name/Address was ILLEGAL, and it was a VIOLATION of his CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

Where is PILGRIM and COMMISSONG on this one????

WHO is NEXT, and for WHAT, the C.O.P.(Ag.) has promised to detain people WITHOUT Reasonable and/or PROBABLE CAuse, according to The Constitution of Barbados That is ILLEGAL, so why does someone/Anyone bring that to his attention.
    at the first sign of this happening, i will ask the UN to investigate this Trampling of the Human Rights/Constitutional Rights of the People of Barbados, by this Para Military Force.

• Sherlock Holmes. July 26, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Mr Waterman please read the Judges rules and stop giving the impression that Police officers act willy nilly.

• Sherlock Holmes. July 26, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Most of you have never been victims of crime , i have seen this behavior and anti police sentiment coming from people like you who are more than often protected by various means but when you yourself is faced with serious criminality your views quickly change about the police i have seen it first hand. It is amazing when the criminal element reaches those who are anti police if you hear the things that they then want you to do to the perpetrator it would blow your mind. You would never imagine that this was the same person that was so anti police i speak with 100% proof, i will not bury my head in the sand and propagate that all police men act as they should but this anti police stance coming from people who should know better is downright disgusting.

27. gsmiley July 26, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Donald Trimp the boy saved the woman. What sensational reporting are you talking about?

How many ‘bad boys’ you know could have or would have done what he did.

If he is a ‘bad boy’ he isn’t very good at pretending that he is.

You are so hell bent on painting all young men as delinquent that you are belittling the guy’s act.

To me this seems out of character for him and I tend to believe his account more so than that of the police at this time.

He doesn’t fit the profile.

He’s trained in water safety by The Coast Guard and BYS and is described by BYS spokesperson as a dutiful recruit.

Has he fooled all of us Donald?

28. Davwin July 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm

These heavy handed actions by some policemen must be condemned in the strongest terms. The recent increase in crime must not be used by rogue policemen to brutalize people. The whole system of investigating police wrong-doing needs to be revisited.

29. Limiko July 26, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I BELIEVE THE YOUNG MAN WAS INNOCENT. THE POLICE DOESNT EVEN GIVE YOU TIME TO ANSWER. IF THEY OR ONE OF THEM HAD KNEEW HIM PERSONALLY , IT WOULDN”T BE A PROBLEM.

30. Tony Waterman July 27, 2017 at 1:06 am

@Sherlock Holmes!!!!!
    Protection of right to personal liberty

13. 1. No person shall be deprived of his personal liberty save as may be authorized by law in any of the following cases, that is to say –
    e. upon reasonable suspicion of his having committed, or being about to commit, a criminal offense under the law of Barbados;

Protection of freedom of expression

20.1. Except with his own consent, no person shall be hindered in the enjoyment of his freedom of expression, and for the purposes of this section the said freedom includes the freedom to hold opinions without interference, freedom to receive ideas and information without interference, freedom to communicate ideas and information without interferences and freedom from interference with his correspondence or other means of communication.

Please note “Sherlock Holmes” this young man was NOT involved in the fracas with the Police.

Sherlock!!! She only hesrd the Word “GUN” she did NOT have the Full Context of the Conversation, and he was giving his friend an answer to a Hypothetical Question, This was all Handled High Handedly, just like you are handling it now, this way does NOT Help, it brings more enemies than friends.

I would also suggest that the Judge avail himself of the SUPREME LAWS of the Land AKA The constitution, and read it.

The Police MUST Have REASONABLE AND OR PROBABLE CAUSE TO DETAIN/QUESTION ANYONE.And that will stand up in any Court even in Barbados.It is NOT yet a Police State in Barbados.

“All this time, the female officer was asking my name [so] I stopped listening to him and I gave her my name. She then asked my age and I told her I was 17. He was Complying with the Female Officers Requests.

“He then said, ‘so you’re 17? So you’re a bad boy?’ I continued listening to him and he proceeded to get more aggressive and was touching me up and saying things.This is ROGUE Behaviour, by that Policeman.

31. Sherlock Holmes. July 27, 2017 at 4:42 am

So the boy’s version is gospel, Mr Waterman please you have only heard one side of the story and you have taken it as gospel. Now that is truly amazing, by the way there is nothing you can point out to me concerning the law that i am not aware of as i said read the Judges rules and administrative directives that govern how the police should conduct any investigation in most circumstances as a means of being guided.

32. Donild Trimp July 27, 2017 at 10:01 am

@gsmiley –
    In your opinion, going by the known facts, are the following statements rational or logical given the particular situation?

“Dre said, as he and a group were leaving the Wildey, St Michael camp just after 4 p.m., one of his friends asked him what he would do if he were a police officer and someone had a gun in his face and his partner was nearby”.

“I said that I would’ve told them, pass the gun,”

The young people in Barbados are anti-establishment and they do not respect authority or the law.

If a Policeman in uniform or a Policeman in civilian clothes who identifies himself/herself as a Police Officer ask you for your name and address where you are a person of interest, you are obligated to give your name and address to the investigating officer. If you refuse, you can be arrested on suspicion and taken to the Police station.

I am more inclined to believe the following statement from the Police spokes-person:

This imported culture in Barbados of disrespect for the Police and the law must be eradicated.

Full support to the members of the RBPF for doing an excellent job.

Keep up the good work in stamping out the lawlessness.

33. Native Barbadian July 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm

where was the camp director or supervisors at this point of time? they are the ones responsible for all minors within that compound and police or the highest ranking police constable should have brought the above mentioned personnel to attention of the matter in their presence !

34. Jack Soleti July 28, 2017 at 4:03 am

In not knowing all the facts and based on the account given – the police are to blame in this case – at least the male officer. His words aggravated an already tensed situation. In conflict resolution your words are your first weapon. He could have allowed the female officer who was already getting the information to continue to speak to the young man but by him interjecting and then becoming physically aggressive made it more tense. The police need to learn how to diffuse situations instead of igniting them.

The failure to give a name is an arrestable offence however that only pertains to the investigation of a crime. Was the young man (Dre) being arrested and if so what crime did he commit?
    Having a conversation about an “imaginary gun” isn’t an arrestable offence.
    @sherlock Holmes – just because citizens call the police in times of crisis that doesn’t mean that society should condone or excuse any errant actions they commit. The police are there to protect and serve the country. That is the vow they took when they signed up. Actions need to be accounted for, so many of your comments are wrong.

An American psychologist noted in a study that the black skin has been reduced to a criminal marker – in other words ppl are more likely to see others who don’t fit their ” view” as being criminals. My point is – not every teenage male is a criminal. If this young mans account is accurate even if only by a small percentage – he was compliant and the male police officer (through emotions, ignorance /lack of knowledge or ego) enraged the situation instead of pacifying the situation.
    Ppl call the police in times of difficulty. The police and other emergency services need the training to deal with such cases instead of making it worse

I know many may not agree with what I’ve said and that’s ok. I don’t have any connection to Barbados law enforcement however I am part of outside security forces trained in counterterrorism so dealing with hostile situations and truly dangerous persons is a daily requirement

35. Jack soleti July 28, 2017 at 8:59 am

Jack Soleti
    July 28, 2017 at 4:03 am
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Having a conversation about an “imaginary gun” isn’t an arrestable offence.

36. elaine July 28, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I am not here to blame the police, but i must say they must conduct they investigations in a proper manner.many years ago the police wanted my neighbor for questioning in an investigation they were dealing with, they went to his parents house where he lived and was told he was not at home,i was told they was an exchange of words between his sister and the police and they said to her if he do not come to give them the information needed they would get him, that was a wednesday. in the wee hours of the following day,a bullet came through my where i had just passed and almost took my life from my small children.the task force came later in the morning and search until they found the bullet ,i had to ask if they had found the bullet after i saw them looking at me suspicious they also sent an officer to get a statement from me.when i gave them my statement they said maybe it was not meant for you maybe it is a stray bullet i never heard anything about that since. i am appealing to the police please conduct your business in a professional way and in turn you will gain all the respect you need!!!

37. May July 29, 2017 at 11:54 am

The police should have sought to find out the full details surrounding the boy’s statement first and foremost. The conversation was between a group of campers not just Dre alone, question the group and get the facts first. I see nothing wrong with the boy’s response.

He was posed with a hypothetical question about being in a police officer’s shoes faced with someone pointing a gun in his face what would he do in such a situation. Poor boy must’ve been confused as to what he did wrong when the police approached him alone. I see no fault of his