Boost in visitor arrivals

Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy is reporting that the industry in Barbados remains buoyant, even in the face of global uncertainty.

In fact, he said the island had recorded a 17 per cent increase in visitor arrivals from the United States market for the year so far compared to the same period last year, and he attributed much of that to the partnership the island has with low-cost US-based carrier JetBlue.

Sealy made the comments as he addressed a media briefing at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Cenre, following a courtesy call on his office by officials of the airline.

With the island set to get a total of about 190,000 JetBlue seats this year, Sealy said the carrier continued to contribute significantly to the island’s tourism product and the partnership between Barbados and the airline was a very important one.

That relationship began about eight years ago, with just one flight a day out of New York. Today, there are as many as three flights daily.

“So, we are in a very good place and therefore this relationship, this partnership, I can say in all sincerity, is a meaningful one and would have fueled the growth that we are seeing, particularly out of the US market,” said Sealy.

“This growth that we are seeing from JetBlue is accruing in a point in time when airlines have been more about protecting their yields, which means they are just holding on to what they have and not venturing out into anything new, but JetBlue has been prepared to work with us,” he added.

The Tourism Minister also reported that the Canadian and Caribbean markets remained very strong. The United Kingdom market registered a moderate increase which Sealy said was “particularly encouraging” given “all the problems, politically and economically” in that country.

“So, overall, tourism is in a good place. The investment in the sector is strong and that has a lot to do again with our airlift situation,” he noted, adding that building out the accommodation sector also played an integral role in the performance of the industry.

Without giving details, Sealy said some “hardcore business” was discussed with the airline representatives during the courtesy call, as well as “realities” related to the routes and how some aspects of the business could be enhanced or tweaked.

Senior Vice President of Airline Planning at JetBlue, Scott Laurence told journalists the courtesy call came at this time because the airline was reviewing its performance in Barbados and wanted to optimize its service.

“I think there is opportunity for continued investment on our part, and I think that the brand that Barbados has developed in the US and the brand that JetBlue has developed really juxtapose very nicely.

“As we continue to look at the capacity increase, the first piece we are looking forward to is the restoration of daily flights to Fort Lauderdale, as well as optimization of our connections to points in the US,” said Laurence.

The flights out of Fort Lauderdale will resume in December, he added.

40 Responses to Boost in visitor arrivals

1. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 21, 2017 at 3:45 am

true star

2. Boyce Jr Angus
    Boyce Jr Angus July 21, 2017 at 5:32 am

Every few months come & tell we so……..#3 #idiotsatlarge #descriptionnotneeded

3. MArk Anthony
    MArk Anthony July 21, 2017 at 5:34 am

Very low end tourists. Barbadians beware these are the bus catching ,supermarket shopping, pick pocket /ATM hacking tourists we are getting in large numbers .

4. Pullhead Davis
    Pullhead Davis July 21, 2017 at 5:51 am

Boy stop counting arrivals of ships and intransit passengers a blind man would ask how visitor arrivals acording to you and visitor spend have dropped by a sizeable amount something wrong hete

5. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner July 21, 2017 at 6:33 am

Ok sounds all peaches and cream but are they spending any real money while here.

6. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray July 21, 2017 at 6:35 am

Show me the money or the monkey

7. Ras Small
    Ras Small July 21, 2017 at 7:44 am

Put part of NSRL on dem den.

8. Alex Alleyne July 21, 2017 at 7:46 am

What about DELTA out of ATLANTA ???????.
    When is LIAT coming back to BARBADOS ?????.

9. Dana Jemmott
    Dana Jemmott July 21, 2017 at 8:18 am

The visitors probably coming but are they spending money?

10. Ricardo Worrell
    Ricardo Worrell July 21, 2017 at 8:39 am

When i see this photo the only fitting caption is how large his head and guts have swollen

11. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd July 21, 2017 at 8:53 am
  12. Gail Agard Wallace
    Gail Agard Wallace July 21, 2017 at 9:03 am

Lilian Lloyd,are they spending? What do they eat while they are there? Where do they stay and sleep? How do they get around?

13. Gail Agard Wallace
    Gail Agard Wallace July 21, 2017 at 9:12 am

Real money? I work really really hard for mine. I spend almost three weeks there every October/November. I don’t see a way To go and NOT spend money. But I sure would like to know. From the time I’m hit Brantley Adams, my purse is open. Taxi, tips,groceries, buses, tours , everyday eating. Taxi back to the airport, more tips. And not compliant either . All these people are trying to make a living. All those things are keeping someone ,somewhere there in a job. What would you consider real money?

14. Gail Agard Wallace
    Gail Agard Wallace July 21, 2017 at 9:15 am

Not to be on a big rant or anything. But I’m a Bajan too. A lot of people other than us , read these web sites . I’m embarrassed on how demeaning some post sounds. We can’t afford to run what few tourist come to Barbados, off. We should really think before we post some things that are so insulting to others. I actually had to stop reading .

• Keisha Weekes
      Keisha Weekes July 21, 2017 at 11:10 am

Sometimes it is best to ignore half of these comments on the nation fb page some if these people are too political…

• Gail Agard Wallace
      Gail Agard Wallace July 21, 2017 at 11:21 am

And another thing I noticed. I doesn’t matter in someone stumped their toe……. governments fault!!!!! Every story.
      Sometimes their are things out of our control . And politics just happens to be one. We have to move on. Live life.

• Bernard Mccollin
      Bernard Mccollin July 21, 2017 at 6:42 pm

U r so right , I read these post & the things that are said are so ridiculous it disgust me as a Bajan

15. Errol Rayside
    Errol Rayside July 21, 2017 at 9:30 am

Tings good———————-fa me.

16. Errol Rayside
    Errol Rayside July 21, 2017 at 9:31 am

Home grown asshloe

17. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 21, 2017 at 10:13 am

ALL THE TOURIST TELLING WE, BARBADOS IS AH NICE PLACE TO LIVE, BUT TOO EXPENSIVE HUMMMMMM

18. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 21, 2017 at 10:21 am

WE USE TO TAKE TRANSPORT BOARD BUSES NEXT TO THE RUNWAY, THE PLANES WOULD LAND, TOURIST COME OFF STRAIGHT INTO THE BUSES, FROM THERE DOWN TO THE SHIPS WAITING, AND FROM THE SHIPS TO THE PLANES WAITING…….SO TELL ME WHERE IS ALL THESE ARRIVALS?, WHERE IS ALL DE FOREIGN EXCHANG? SHOW US FIGURES IN DETAIL………YA CLOWN

• Gail Agard Wallace
      Gail Agard Wallace July 21, 2017 at 11:15 am

I sit in a condo in the south coast for weeks. I watch plane after plane come I . Too numerous to count. They don’t all go to the ships. If so ,the condos or apts would not be surviving. And everyone knows tourist stay all over that island. I see it for myself. Not trying to argue. I’m just saying what I see. I stay in St. Phillips part of the time and of course when I’m there all I see is locals. The tourist are there. Thank the good Lord. We don’t need them to stop coming. This year when I go, I will be with 3 others, people that I tell about how wonderful Barbados is. Hopefully they don’t see A lot of this and know how people feel about tourist.

19. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley July 21, 2017 at 10:52 am

Correct! Very shady.

20. Keisha Weekes
    Keisha Weekes July 21, 2017 at 11:07 am

How he get the worst minister? Please explain.

21. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman July 21, 2017 at 12:04 pm

While the numbers might be up are they spending is the big question for me?

22. Diane Quinn
    Diane Quinn July 21, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Stop lying I want to know where the are

23. John Strutton
    John Strutton July 21, 2017 at 12:48 pm

It’s no use reporting the number of “tourist arrivals” that includes the number of all-inclusive cruise passengers. How many times must this buffoon be told this? He must think that the Bajan people are as thick as he is…

24. Robert July 21, 2017 at 12:58 pm

As a tourist who has been coming to Barbados since before Independence, I find the comment regarding spending “real money” demeaning. Yes, I use public transportation at times and yes, I buy groceries. However I also use taxis and eat at restaurants, I may not be staying at Sandy Lane but I do pay money for my accommodation. If my money is not “real ” enough for Barbados, perhaps some other location may consider it “real” enough.

25. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce July 21, 2017 at 2:27 pm

#ALLInclusive Keeping a tight rein on their holiday budget and quite right to.

26. Sue Donym July 21, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Hi, @Robert – Jul 21, 12:58. It’s good to know that Barbados has something that keeps you coming back. Thanks for your loyalty.

The seemingly demeaning comments aren’t directed at you, although I can see why you would feel offended.

Barbadians are increasingly frustrated by a government that offers few answers or credible explanations. People want to know how ministers can feel justified in patting themselves on the back at one moment and telling the country at another, how many sacrifices are needed to get things back on track.

Citizens want the truth, by numbers and percentages about how many of the passengers actually stay on the island for more than a few hours – as opposed to being intransit. They want figures on how many proceed directly to other flight or ships for onward journeys. They are curious about what happens to money for accommodation and services enjoyed here, but paid for elsewhere. They would like disclosure on what happens to profits or commissions and what products bought for visitors are sourced here.

Bajans know that deals are stuck with airlines, agents and hoteliers that could be far more beneficial to them than to the country. The fact is that Bajans need more facts – about concessions, about incentives and about what the industry and the country netts from the activity – not just raw numbers.

Most appreciate all the visitors that support, promote and value our country and look forward to seeing you here. Hope you enjoy your next visit.

27. Rainz Franklyn
    Rainz Franklyn July 21, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Ok. And what are they buying?

28. Anson Sobers
    Anson Sobers July 21, 2017 at 6:47 pm

How has the increased arrivals impacted tourist spend? What was the increase in earnings amd net contribution to the economy from these increased arrivals?..we are tired hearing of increased arrivals yet these increases have not had any real impact on the economy.

29. Basil Bradshaw
    Basil Bradshaw July 21, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Reduce the prices and put some love in the food