Sick out ordered

A sick out has been ordered by this island’s four major trade unions, amid a deepening row with Government over recent tax increases.

The unions notified their members by Whatsapp message last night that they were “upping de ting” with sick out action planned for Wednesday and Thursday in a bid to pressure the Freundel Stuart administration to grant immediate relief from the National Social Responsibility Levy, which was increased from two per cent to ten per cent on July 1.

This message was being circulated by shop stewards last night.

The stepped-up action comes after a 48-hour ultimatum to Government expired last Thursday without a response from the Prime Minister.

The unions led workers in a walk for relief to Parliament last week Tuesday.

Since then members of the Barbados Workers’ Union, the National Union of Public Workers, the Barbados Secondary Teachers’ Union and the Barbados Union of Teachers have been engaging in a work-to-rule and a go-slow, but to limited to effect.

Up to 8 a.m. Wednesday, Government operations, including the state-run Transport Board were up and running, even though officials said some workers had responded positively to the union’s latest call. The sick out has however forced some state departments to re-allocate personnel.

Just last night, private sector officials reported to Barbados TODAY that Stuart had agreed in principle to a meeting with members of the tripartite arrangement. However, President of the Barbados Public Sector Association Charles Herbert said the Prime Minister was yet to fix a firm date for those talks.

45 Responses to Sick out ordered

1. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt July 19, 2017 at 8:40 am

Those people just talking . And bare tricks and leading the workere down the wrong road.

2. Diana Cummins
    Diana Cummins July 19, 2017 at 8:47 am

I wonder how Barbados get money to pay workers, hardly producing anything, striking almost monthly, no growth,and we wonder about layoffs.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith July 19, 2017 at 10:06 am

Diana we get money to pay these same workers who are not producing,who are striking every week for what sometimes makes no sense,by borrowing and that is one of the major debts we have.
      That’s one of the reasons the government is taxing our asses off.

• Diana Cummins
      Diana Cummins July 19, 2017 at 10:31 am

Manny,wake up.i did not single out any one,tell me things already bad,what growth have you see since all the striking.

• hcalndre July 19, 2017 at 11:04 am

Ask dem fellas where their get the money.

• hcalndre July 19, 2017 at 11:10 am

Correction: I should have used the word “they” not their.

• hcalndre July 19, 2017 at 11:13 am

Accept my the correction please, the word should be “they’ and not “their.”

• Christopher Hill
      Christopher Hill July 19, 2017 at 11:50 am

dont blame the worker. blame the method in which sin clear pushes his taxation after taxation agenda.

• Christopher Hill
      Christopher Hill July 19, 2017 at 11:51 am

furthermore they were just printing money to pay the workers because somehow there is a hole in the government treasury.

3. Lionel Gittens
    Lionel Gittens July 19, 2017 at 9:15 am

Open up your third eye don’t be like a lizard without a head. The cat would love that.

4. Saga Boy July 19, 2017 at 9:23 am

Don’t worry I believe common sense will prevail. I doubt this will work. The average civil servant recognizes that this action has more to do with politics than with the levy. Any public servant who stays home is saying to the government that they should lay off workers instead of implementing the levy.

5. Marsha Gill
    Marsha Gill July 19, 2017 at 10:37 am

We have to stand up for something at some point and time

6. Marsha Gill
    Marsha Gill July 19, 2017 at 10:39 am

If our foreparents did not stand up we would not be where we are today, more needs to be done for workers in this country

7. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce July 19, 2017 at 10:45 am

Don’t be ridiculous, ridiculous advice! You should not be claiming to be sick when you’re NOT. It will be classed as gross misconduct, then one is fired, sacked, unemployed. #NationalStrike

8. Syruppy Kennedy
    Syruppy Kennedy July 19, 2017 at 10:48 am

I dont really like the sick out thing calling sickness on yourself just call n say u cant make it today

9. Milli Watt July 19, 2017 at 10:54 am

Esther going hit de roof when she see this sick out bill for NIS claims lolololololol……wonder if the doctors will come under scrutiny

10. Milli Watt July 19, 2017 at 10:56 am

people away from work and you can hardly notice

11. Mhizz Kelly P Forde
    Mhizz Kelly P Forde July 19, 2017 at 11:01 am

That $26 dollars does get me two whole chickens to feed my son when the time come. Got no time with this rshlery

• Mhizz Kelly P Forde
      Mhizz Kelly P Forde July 19, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Sweet heart plane ticket done bought for next month further more this action don’t ever work. Bring something else to the table . It’s repetitive and none productive

• Mhizz Kelly P Forde
      Mhizz Kelly P Forde July 19, 2017 at 1:29 pm

My money I can do wdf I want with it simple

• Judy Stanford
      Judy Stanford July 19, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Roshawn Devonish too late …it is already on self destruct!

• Mhizz Kelly P Forde
      Mhizz Kelly P Forde July 19, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Talk to he do cause he like he slow

12. Christopher Hill
    Christopher Hill July 19, 2017 at 11:49 am

YES YES YES UP DE TING. BRING THE ISLAND TO A STAND STILL. THE DLP BEEN KICKING OUR ASSES FOR TOO LONG.

13. Felicia Corbin
    Felicia Corbin July 19, 2017 at 11:52 am

Never call sickness on yourself I have loss all respect for unions that ask it members to lie on they health …when you call and say you can’t make it today it is taken out of your vacation

14. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt July 19, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I am not staying home because simply I am not sick. And mostly I need my money straight. I have 6 children my house my car and myself too look out for.

15. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt July 19, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Union never give me no job and I does pay them weekly

16. Randolph July 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I listened toMaureen Holder today and could not believe a so-called educated person could spew so much foolishness.Everybody knows where her political allegiance lies,but when she could shout out how great the economy under Sandiford’s leadership was , then I realize something is wrong with her brain.Why did Sandiford cut people’s salaries by 8% or else he would be sending home thousands.That was a time in Barbados when in some homes no one was working,parents could not send their children to school,many houses were reposssed by lending agencies,Wives,many of whom did some unspeakable things in order to support their families.I wonder where Maureen Holder was living during this time.During my sojourn at Mona a PS came on campus to visit Bajan students and he told us that Sandiford fooled the people.

17. lswiltshire July 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm

You morons that talking about calling sickness on one’s self obviously do not know that the most common illness is DEPRESSION.

I am happy that I no longer live at home and have no wealth or property in Barbados to be TAXED. I WOULD SURELY BE DEPRESSED. I AM DEPRESSED EVEN FROM THIS DISTANCE TO READ WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN BIM SINCE THE DEMS TOOK OVER

18. Patty July 19, 2017 at 1:06 pm

This country is in trouble…be careful what you ask for,…what goes around comes around…God help us all….I am not saying all is rosy with the government, there are many things wrong, but i seriously believe that we all will sink the country further, whose interests are these people really serving? Playing on emotions and using the masses..I tell you, be very, very careful what we ask for…The people rejected Jesus and said His blood be upon us…it came back to haunt them…be very, very careful what we do under the pretense of love for country and people….God is watching and reads motives..

19. Judy Stanford
    Judy Stanford July 19, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I assume no one will receive any pay then for this action???

20. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 19, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I WONDER HOW BIM GET MONEY? ASK DE MONGOOSE DICTATOR AN E GANG, 10 YEARS OF NO GROWTH, 23 DOWNGRADES, BAD INVESTMENTS, FREE CONCESSIONS, TEETHING FROM THE MASSES TO SUPPORT DEMSELVES & THE FABULOUS 5. STUPES

21. Patrick July 19, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Fire then, you should know and believe in what you are striking for.

22. Anna Bovell
    Anna Bovell July 19, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I’m waiting for all this to come to a head.

23. Patrick July 19, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Iswilshire, you all left here and working day and night, something you all would not do here, so don’t get on like Barbadians suffering
    I would bet you anything that they are thousands of Bajan living the times better than you are living.
    You don’t understand, stop posting foolishness, I doubt you are as comfortable as the average bajan

24. Patrick July 19, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Not tight pants giddy head boy ain t leading me

25. Patrick July 19, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Ali baba, where are you living, sounds like you have a personal problem, I live here and I have no problems

26. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray July 19, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Time for people with vehicles to let us park them along side the roads, we sick of the bad roads and high gas price.

27. Pat Edwards
    Pat Edwards July 19, 2017 at 9:09 pm

All those who call sickness on their bodies please remember this day when sickness does strike…always remember the story the boy who cried wolf….I am always reminded of Jim Jones Story how people followed a leader blindly and did not seek to learn the truth and committed suicide…when a leader can publicly issue a command to the masses to call out sick is a sad day. Stand up for rights do your protest if you want but please do not encourage people to lie blatantly on their bodies. Shame on you shame shame

28. lswiltshire July 19, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Patrick
    July 19, 2017 at 5:25 pm
    Iswilshire, you all left here and working day and night,

ACTUALLY I AM NOT WORKING AND HAVE NOT DONE SO FOR YEARS
    something you all would not do here, so don’t get on like Barbadians suffering
    I AM GLAD THAT YOUI ARE NOT SUFFERING BUT FROM WHAT I AM READING IN THE PRESS IT SEEMS THAT YOU ARE HAVING DELUSIONS

I SINCERLY HOPE THAT THEY ARE SIR

I AM SORRY TO INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE WRONG and i will repeat
    the most common illness is DEPRESSION.