Cell phone thieves remanded

Two St Andrew men charged with stealing 18 cellular phones from Bhana & Sons store have claimed that hard times drove them to commit the criminal act.

Kadeen Vaughan of Belleplaine Road and Errol Nathaniel Boxhill of Coggins Hill pleaded guilty to the offence when they appeared before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant in the District ‘A’ Court Tuesday morning.

The men, who are jointly charged, are also accused of entering the store as trespassers on July 17, 2017 and stealing a speaker and a portable charger which when combined with the 18 cellular phones are valued at $9,399.

In outlining the facts of the case, Sergeant Cameron Gibbons told the court that on the day in question police received the call about the incident and later saw the two men on Magazine Lane. The suspects apparently ran off but were later apprehended with haversacks containing the stolen items.

In an attempt at explaining his actions, Vaughan who has a prior conviction for a similar offence, said he desperately needed the money.

Kadeen Vaughan

“I was home and Boxhill tell me that he have a scene to go on. I have no family and I thought it was going to be a good idea. I needed the money; I have nothing, not even a bed to sleep on. Even when the police took me to my house and see the condition I living in they start feeling for me, nobody in family helping me ma’am,” said Vaughan, who admitted to court that he had skills in tiling, but no money to buy tools.

However, the magistrate was not moved by Vaughan’s testimony. In fact, she told the accused man that “it seemed as if he was waiting on someone to give him something”.

As for Boxill who has no priors, Cuffy-Sargeant agreed to grant him bail.

Errol Nathaniel Boxhill

However, the 22-year-old could not come up with a surety after he had earlier told the court that he was also going through a rough financial patch, which was compounded by a child on the way.

“How are you going to support your child? You want your child to be supported from stolen goods?” the magistrate asked Boxill, adding that “the whole idea was a stupid one”.

Both men were remanded until August 16, 2017, at which time they would be sentenced.

  

One Response to Cell phone thieves remanded

  1. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins July 18, 2017 at 11:16 pm

    A baby on the way and you stealing. So you’ve shamed your unborn child already.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *