A party in a quarry

Every year, it gets bigger and bigger and this year was no exception.

It was a sea of people in Searles Quarry for Puff of Colour. Official estimates put the number at over 6,000.

The annual Puff of Colour (POC), put on by the Chelsea Boyz, is unlike any other party on the Crop Over calendar.

Patrons party to top Crop Over hits played by top local DJs, with plenty paint, powder and water. And here’s the kicker . . . . the night time action takes place in the open air, in the middle of a quarry.

DJs Frog and Lil Rick
One of the DJs from Vibe Nation

Puff of Colour has grown from strength to strength from back in the days of the Harbour Master, down to when we were at Carlisle House and to here where we are right now in Searles Quarry in Christ Church,” said Kirk Phillips, a member of the organizing team.

“There are a lot of people asking us ‘can you top this?’ Of course! Yes, we can top this!  Every year we have [topped it]. Look out for POC 10. That is going to be the big one,” Phillips told Bajan Vibes.

As he spoke in the wee hours of last Sunday morning, thousands of patrons crammed the venue to hear the likes of Lil Rick and Frog, RocFresh – the deejaying duo of Scott LeRoc and Mali Fresh –– Infamous & Lil Paul, Salt & Don, Vibe Nation and Jon Deesy

Each DJ was each given a one hour set and it went down well with the massive crowd. The only downside was that some DJs played the same songs as those who performed  before them.

Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Stephen Lashley, was among the party-goers, estimated to be in the region of over 6,000. For him, it was an incredible experience.

Minister of Culture, Stephen Lashley thoroughly enjoyed his first Puff of Colour.

“I have been in the crowd and have been a part of the crowd. I want to really congratulate the organizers for coming up with what I believe is a very excellent brand. I did not envisage this kind of scene. I’ve heard a lot about Puff of Colour and this is my first year of being here in a quarry,” Lashley said.

He went on: “I believe that this is a world brand. I don’t believe that you can find in any part of the world where you can have such a sizeable party in a quarry. I think this is a phenomenal thing. I think that for the Barbadian entrepreneur to come up with this brand is indicative of what the cultural industries is all about.”

As the sun rose slowly in the East over Searles Plantation and its rays shone into the quarry, it was a sea of pink,blue and purple as the partying continued. When asked what was missing from the experience for them in 2017, one patron said it was the rain. Another said it was more powder.

However, the one thing on which patrons were in broad agreement is that Puff of Colour 2017 was simply epic.

29 Responses to A party in a quarry

1. Joey St
    Joey St July 13, 2017 at 11:10 am

What is this world coming to? When people can pay between $70 and $300 to party in a quarry…smh

• Smith Amanda
      Smith Amanda July 13, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I know if somebody the give u a ticket u would have go and for the record paint powder and water let’s keep it at ur house next time and see how u would be able to clean it

• Joey St
      Joey St July 13, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Seems as though u know me very well…I would not be caught dead at a party in a quarry even if u give me a free ticket

• Smith Amanda
      Smith Amanda July 13, 2017 at 12:35 pm

But ya cnt tell ppl how to spend them money r were to party

• Chrissy Pantoja
      Chrissy Pantoja July 13, 2017 at 2:10 pm

To accommodate the amount of patrons isn’t cheap. If it’s not your thing, so be it. The crowd has grown, so it would seem they needed adequate space. Some people scalp tickets so that’s an issue that needs to be addressed. The price of a good party with adequate security, organization, and entertainment shouldn’t be overlooked. I’ve wanted to go for years but I haven’t scheduled holiday time to be in Barbados that early. I would personally pay more to ensure my safety and happiness than a cheap one. It’s rather miserable to complain about how others enjoy their time if it isn’t affecting your own decision-making.

• Yvonne Sealy
      Yvonne Sealy July 13, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Joey St….to each his own…I’m sure that there are things that you would do that others won’t dare….so live, love, laff…….even if it’s in a Quarry

2. Andrena Ceasar
    Andrena Ceasar July 13, 2017 at 11:50 am

What is wrong with it

3. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens July 13, 2017 at 11:52 am

MURDAHHHH looka people like flies and bees that brek and them say country in a crisis, not when ya got a crop over and a good party talk chalk

4. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens July 13, 2017 at 12:16 pm

yea right cause he gonna say we aint all brek n poor

5. Hugh Roberta Ferguson
    Hugh Roberta Ferguson July 13, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Head Tax coming..

6. Julian Reifer
    Julian Reifer July 13, 2017 at 1:14 pm

At those prices, i must ask, WTF ya all get the money from? I hear people can`t eat and the whole place suffering.

7. Wendy Clarke
    Wendy Clarke July 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Lol

8. Wendell Kirton
    Wendell Kirton July 13, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Alistair Stuart Damian Boyce men let us buy a quarry money men money

9. Noelle Slinky
    Noelle Slinky July 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm

No one has asked how many of these people budgeted for this. The assumption is that hard times = no enjoyment. All the more reason your enjoyment should be selective.

Better to work and enjoy something, even if it’s one thing or event. Everyone’s enjoyment is different, this is theirs.

10. Risa Ndm Rouse
    Risa Ndm Rouse July 13, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I may not know my country as well as I should but where else should they hold the biggest fete that they don’t need to wash away the paint and let go fireworks all night long?

11. Saga Boy July 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm

And they say things hard and the impact of governance by the DLP is according to Caswell Framklyn worst than a whirlwind. This Gov is trying to keep you employee so you can have many many more puffs.

12. Realist July 13, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I bet you cannot ask one of these idiots who patronize this even to go into a quarry and buy a tonne of marle during the day but the same night that person would get dress and go in the quarry to jump around in the dark…talk about slavery revisited. Cannot keep from smelling up the white people *sses. These are the same people that don’t have money to buy decent food and falling down in the road from all sort of ailments.

13. Realist July 13, 2017 at 3:14 pm

The word should be “event”…first line.

14. Yvonne Sealy
    Yvonne Sealy July 13, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Life is meant to b lived….glad u had a grand time

15. Yvonne Sealy
    Yvonne Sealy July 13, 2017 at 3:57 pm

And NO violence…..must b commended…let d youngsters enjoy life……I did

16. Yvonne Sealy
    Yvonne Sealy July 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Love to see d youngsters having a good time not shooting n killing their own…..
    Wish I cud too

17. Shonelle R Johnson
    Shonelle R Johnson July 13, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Actual I’m not that young and I was there and saw some wayyyyy older than me

18. Wayne Dixon
    Wayne Dixon July 13, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Don’t let GENTRIFICATION take over

19. straight talk July 13, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Thee quarry is thee place for them, bring more taxes sinkler

20. Linda Fenty
    Linda Fenty July 13, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Some people take drugs , drink themselves in oblivion while others pay good money to go party and have fun to forget their troubles. Nothing wrong with that . To each his own. At least they weren’t robbing and shooting each other.

21. Carlisle Norville July 13, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Realiest, you hit de nail pun de head, when i was young i loved to party, i mean party i had de money so i lived the life, now i am much older & my consciousness has expanded. I most certainly have a different perspective about life ( young people need to find out about themselves ,so they identify with just about everything ,the problem is that they are being led into behaviours that will mess them up later on in life, when you young, you think you can do Anything, when you get older you suffer the consequences of the mistakes you made ( to late then)we learn one way or the other( let them PARTY)!

22. Inclusive Resorts Barbados July 14, 2017 at 2:33 am

Wow looks like a wonderful vibe going on and everybody having a fantastic time 🙂