Chefette dismisses claim of maggots found in sandwich

Fast food restaurant Chefette is roundly dismissing a woman who alleged on social media that she found live worms in a sandwich bought at an unnamed branch of the outlet.

In fact, Managing Director Ryan Haloute today accused the woman of seeking attention, and said Chefette was ignoring her.

“We actually ignore it to be honest. If someone has an experience that they are not happy with at Chefette and their first point of contact is social media, then we deem that that person is seeking attention,” Haloute said soon after donating $125,000 to three charities – Young Women Christian Association, the Precious Touch Foundation and Variety The Children’s Charity – at the company’s corporate headquarters in Wildey, St Michael.

“Why would we reply to it, informing over 50,000 persons who are on our social media page, that ‘hey, this happened or didn’t happen?’ We try to promote positivity and give back to the community [instead of] responding to social media posts that are seeking attention,” he stressed.

In a three-minute 37-second expletive-laden video, the woman claimed to have bought the sandwich at a Chefette branch which she did not name, and to have started eating it when she discovered “worms crawling on the sandwich”.

Although she zoomed in on the sandwich in an attempt to give viewers a closer look, the image was not entirely clear.

Still, what appeared to be lavae could be seen wriggling in the video, which had been viewed over 11,200 times and shared 96 times at the time of publication.

The woman also claimed that once before she had a similar experience, having found “a worm” in a sandwich she had bought at the Charles Rowe Bridge outlet.

She said she had figured then that it had come from lettuce that had not been cleaned properly, therefore, when she placed the latest order she asked for tomatoes and extra mayonnaise, but no lettuce.

Some of the comments on the Facebook post were not very complimentary of the woman, with one poster, Janelle Bishop, writing “it happen before n she gone back? She want attention or she showing off she nails”.

However, many were equally critical of the fast food restaurant, some also using expletives in various degrees to drive home the point.

“This is some serious s**t,” someone with the moniker Shawn Pablo wrote.

“This is no laughing matter at all  . . . going back ten times for once that has nothing to do with those f*****g worms . . . imagine how many frozen worms wanna eat in dem rotis,” stated Punky C Brewster.

At the same time, several commenters said they did not plan to eat at Chefette again.

Haloute today defended his restaurant chain and the quality of the food they produce.

He was also thankful to those who stood behind the company on social media.

“It is good to hear that persons have been defending our brand; it speaks volumes for our brand and country and so on. We always focus on quality and we have been here a long time. We spend a lot of money on making sure we give excellent food, our sanitation is good, our cleanliness is very high, we have the Ministry of Health always using us as an example to help them raise their level. Our reputation speaks for itself,” he insisted.

91 Responses to Chefette dismisses claim of maggots found in sandwich

1. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry July 7, 2017 at 2:34 am

ewwwwwww

2. Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
    Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 5:20 am

I have always been proud of Chefette and it is the only fast food restaurant I will eat at. I pray to God the standards are held to the highest and the restaurants are kept clean. I never wanna hear about foreign chickens/ foreign produce that is why we kept Macdonalds off our streets. I expect this from KFC but not Chefette.

• Neelia Williamzz
      Neelia Williamzz July 7, 2017 at 5:58 am

Lol sweet girl expect it from anywhere as long as u eating out…. you are only sure of not eating maggots when u stay home and cook

• Skilnic Skyy
      Skilnic Skyy July 7, 2017 at 6:06 am

Chefette (and KFC) is pure garbage…our foreparents must be turning in their graves to see how Bajans line up to feed their children this garbage

• Wendy Clarke
      Wendy Clarke July 7, 2017 at 6:08 am

So true Neelia Williamzz

• Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
      Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 6:22 am

I prefer to cook my own food and buy produce from the markets but I don’t usually mind getting a snack from Chefette every few months or so.

Home cooking is always best

Nothing will ever beat cou cou and flying fish.

• Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
      Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 6:24 am

I only say what I say about KFC because I live in England and in England the KFC franchises and chicken shops are VERY different. Trust u much better of eating Chefette than these shops over in England. Fast Food is exceptional but if I have to choose… Is Chefette.

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward July 7, 2017 at 6:48 am

So true Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa nothing beats it lol

• Cassandra Gittens
      Cassandra Gittens July 7, 2017 at 6:58 am

Skilnic Skyyonce you eat out you are taking a chance

• Hyacinth Mayers
      Hyacinth Mayers July 7, 2017 at 7:47 am

Bajans must start cooking again at least you know what yr eating.

• Romeo Montague
      Romeo Montague July 7, 2017 at 8:14 am

I just finish washing cleaning then jerk seasoning 2 chickens ..i ain’t looking to eat out at ALL ..

3. Bobolee popo July 7, 2017 at 6:01 am

the devil finds work for idle hands to do..

4. Betty charles July 7, 2017 at 6:10 am

Truthfully sometimes the food is good and at other times its horrible

5. Andy Lashley
    Andy Lashley July 7, 2017 at 6:13 am

Liz Lashley

6. Andy Lashley
    Andy Lashley July 7, 2017 at 6:16 am

It is not the first time our son found maggots in the ribs he got from Chefette last year when we were on holiday in Barbados.
    We bin them.

• Liz Lashley
      Liz Lashley July 7, 2017 at 8:37 am

That is completely true !!! But as we had driven away we just chucked it in the garbage and got him something else to eat.

• GoodGirl GoneBad
      GoodGirl GoneBad July 7, 2017 at 12:13 pm

why didn’t you complain to corporate?

• Andy Lashley
      Andy Lashley July 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm

We were on holiday we didn’t had time to complain.
      To be honest we never even thought about it.

7. Anthony Williams
    Anthony Williams July 7, 2017 at 6:17 am

Chefette is owned by Trinidadians, is that not foreign?

• Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
      Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 6:28 am

Trinidad got Chefette…. Man I found out my ice cream sandwiches imported from Trinidad I now nearly cuss out my ice cream man when he tell me there was a problem with the ship that does deliver them. I was like… U mean to tell me ice cream sandwiches come from a boat too????? I cried.

• Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
      Cherylann Bourne-Hayes July 7, 2017 at 6:57 am

Thought it was Barbados owned and was only in Bim.

• George Hinkson
      George Hinkson July 7, 2017 at 7:00 am

It is Barbados owned, founded and only in Barbados

• Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
      Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 7:05 am

It better be.

8. James Amlighty
    James Amlighty July 7, 2017 at 6:18 am

You can look at the pic and see clearly it was a fabrication. Think a maggot can look like that minutes after coming out of boiling oil?.. chefette should be able to sue for defamation…

• Andrena Ceasar
      Andrena Ceasar July 7, 2017 at 8:39 am

Why couldn’t the fly land on the chicken in the restaurant

• James Amlighty
      James Amlighty July 7, 2017 at 8:43 am

It could but it also takes eight or more hours before maggots are formed / hatched…

• Lisa Moore
      Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 9:27 am

They were not maggots but eggs

• James Amlighty
      James Amlighty July 7, 2017 at 9:33 am

Was the pic taken at the restaurant or at the persons home?…

• Crystalene Alexander
      Crystalene Alexander July 7, 2017 at 10:35 am

THANK YOU NOLZ!!!…

• Andrena Ceasar
      Andrena Ceasar July 7, 2017 at 10:40 am

We are always ready to defend those that would never defend us give the girl the benefit it her words against them

• Hunte Omar
      Hunte Omar July 7, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Even a person with a mental illness can see that.

9. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward July 7, 2017 at 6:23 am

Maggots can’t live outside of heat, and once maggots are present they would be a foul smell before eating because the meat is spoilt or it would taste funny also. Maggots are present when something is dead. Smh.

• Jema Goodluck
      Jema Goodluck July 7, 2017 at 7:10 am

This person is looking for a quick $

• Ashanda Coward
      Ashanda Coward July 7, 2017 at 7:20 am

Smh I would never understand why people do these things if they arent true

• Joyce McIntosh
      Joyce McIntosh July 7, 2017 at 8:34 am

True maggots only go on something that is rotten and smell bad so it is still a puzzle to me.

• Jema Goodluck
      Jema Goodluck July 7, 2017 at 8:51 am

The love of money is the root of all evil….

10. Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
    Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 7, 2017 at 6:26 am

You know what… Forget Chefette…. Go Enterprise and get Mr Delicious Flying Fish Cutters…. Ooooooooooooooooweeeeee problem solve… Real cutters and supporting local business. Cheese on… I feel to get one just now….

11. Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan
    Wayne R. Pilgrim-Cadogan July 7, 2017 at 6:31 am

Expect that you would get a different answer from the company even if it was true! No business likes adverse publicity, especially if it can destroy the business.

12. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall July 7, 2017 at 6:35 am

Courgette have manager at the head office that don’t return calls when there’s a problem and you call to complain if a customer feel that the satisfaction from the branch manager don’t add up.

13. Pat BB
    Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 6:36 am

I never believed it in the first place….
    If maggots form on chicken, it wouldn’t look fresh and they can’t survive heat….just saying

• Pat BB
      Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 7:18 am

But it had to b at room temperature for a while for maggots to form

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor July 7, 2017 at 7:30 am

Go on Google and read up om fly larvae your selves…. We have all the information at our finger tips….

• Pat BB
      Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 7:33 am

Yes Mam

• Pat BB
      Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 10:50 am

But Sharon Taylor, Chefette does deep fry their chicken, maggots can’t survive that, even if the chicken is heated after they r on it they will still die,
      Those were put there after the fact….just saying

14. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall July 7, 2017 at 6:37 am

The health authorities need to be on these fast food establishment like hawks.

15. Cecily Jones
    Cecily Jones July 7, 2017 at 6:55 am

This is why I don’t do fast-food, or barely ever…I went into Chefette years ago and the smell made me feel ill…also I never patronise anywhere with open buffets where people can help themselves like the salad bar at Chefette – maybe things have changed for the better, but I prefer to see how my food is being prepared, handled and cooked and what goes into it…

• Ashanti Padilla
      Ashanti Padilla July 7, 2017 at 7:50 am

Please tell me where you go to eat and you’re able to see how your food is being prepared and handle besides in your house?

• Sabrina Brathwaite
      Sabrina Brathwaite July 7, 2017 at 8:08 am

Well then in his house is where it is. I don’t like eating out myself

• Andrena Ceasar
      Andrena Ceasar July 7, 2017 at 8:34 am

Lol in his mind

16. Crystalene Alexander
    Crystalene Alexander July 7, 2017 at 6:57 am

Man talking bout d sandwhich n yall going on about a chicken piece…
    Two completely different instances…stupse

• Pat BB
      Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 8:18 am

There is more than one video circulating hun

• Crystalene Alexander
      Crystalene Alexander July 7, 2017 at 8:40 am

Yh…the one he talking about is the girl with the sandwich not the chicken that had the eggs

17. Anthony Williams
    Anthony Williams July 7, 2017 at 7:07 am

Come on people maggots are germinate by heat.

18. Rosanne Brathwaite
    Rosanne Brathwaite July 7, 2017 at 7:23 am

Damn skippy, cause if they ain’t kill me yet they never will lolol

19. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

In all fairness those were eggs and could have been laid in cheffete once they are flies. Instead of defending just focus on trying to ensure proper food handling. It could have happened to anyone.

• Shida Mika Byer
      Shida Mika Byer July 7, 2017 at 9:33 am

That was not chefette chicken and the chicken was take home and use for the next day for child to take school happen at home not wid chefette

• Lisa Moore
      Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 9:38 am

Truth is I don’t care where it was from there’s no point in defending just practice proper food handling. Flies are found when there’s food. I’ve hand numerous encounters with chefette it doesn’t mean if push came to shove that I won’t go back.

20. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor July 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

The eggs could have been laid before cooking…. Fly larvae thrive in high temperatures…. The eggs hatch at 99 degrees…. Google it…..

21. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward July 7, 2017 at 7:54 am

I use to work there too and they are high in cleanseliness.

22. Julian Marshall
    Julian Marshall July 7, 2017 at 7:59 am

Only thing i wud eat from there is the chips and rotis…the chicken gives me acid reflux and i repeat it for hours after eating it.don’t get that problem with BK or KFC chicken.

• Pat BB
      Pat BB July 7, 2017 at 8:16 am

Ok then, chips and rotis nothing else….well ice cream and milk shakes of course

• Crystalene Alexander
      Crystalene Alexander July 7, 2017 at 10:38 am

Ok den…n d chicken does be suh basic. ..like um do home…

• Stella Banks
      Stella Banks July 7, 2017 at 2:40 pm

The garlic Julian Marshall

23. Greengiant July 7, 2017 at 8:33 am

We have so many real issues in this country, I can’t believe you all can find the time to discuss that lying stupid woman. She was once privately stupid, now she’s globally stupid. If I ever decide to use social media for public purposes I will become a paid journalist within the first week. We need to understand the value of social media in today’s world.

24. Tanzi M Brooks
    Tanzi M Brooks July 7, 2017 at 8:52 am

Ummm never believe the videos circulating….had a salad and piece of chicken yesterday…as per usual it was good.

25. Wayne P Hoyte
    Wayne P Hoyte July 7, 2017 at 9:11 am

The FB food scientists conference is in session …lol

26. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 9:29 am

Look I went to chefette with my sister, she bought wing dings and the amount of feathers that were in the chicken you would have thought the chicken was still alive. There things can happen stop defending and just ensure that moving forward, proper screening is in place.

27. P July 7, 2017 at 9:34 am

That chicken wherever it was purchase was left out for days. That how long it takes maggots to develop and get into a dead piece of meat. She’s a con artist. I’m glad the management decided not to fall for the scam.

28. Mark Rosmar July 7, 2017 at 9:43 am

I don’t know what was on her sandwich but she lacks credibility and that matters in this case. Her obscenity laden claims and non use of formal channels supports my assertions.

29. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward July 7, 2017 at 9:44 am

Lisa Moore fair is fair though, its not defending them without a cause, but people are wicked and I know of instances where people would put stuff in the food and come an claim they got it so, mind you they done eat half and want a whole one. And school children was good for that. The inspector for the Chefette I worked for he was a serious an strick inspector. Bajans to love jumping on a bandwagon without enough evidence and its becoming sickening they need to stop it. Thats like the incident with Nicholls too, the main with some animal teeth in the bread and nothing came out of it. I wont be naive an say things dont happen, but some people need to stop doing these things for real.

30. Belfast July 7, 2017 at 9:44 am

It is not just a matter of Chefette dismissing this woman’s claim whether it is genuine or not, but more so in restoring the confidence in its customers and potential customers.
    Some damage control is necessary. Since the report surrounding the Corned Beef matter, many Barbadians have removed this item from their food list, in spite of our MOH giving it the ok.

31. Keith Forde
    Keith Forde July 7, 2017 at 9:49 am

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS PATH PEOPLE GOING DOWN,CHEFETTE IS AN ESTABLISHED BRAND.CHEFETTE EMPLOYS MANY BAJANS,SO WHOEVER GOT A WITCHUNT AGAINST THEM,CAN BE SUED FOR DAMAGES..( BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ALL TROD).A WORD TO THE WISE.

32. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 9:49 am

People are wicked but supposed she’s right, I’ve had numerous issues over the years with both chefette and kfc. These things can happen, flies like food.

33. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore July 7, 2017 at 9:53 am

A year ago I bought a corn from kfc and it was hot, so I said I’ll let it cool first, as I was about to open the bag I notice this green sludge coming from the bag the corn was green, mind you I had only bought it 5 mins before. I took it back obviously and it was sorted out. My thing is just ensure proper food handling and stop shooting the messengers.

34. Michael Crichlow
    Michael Crichlow July 7, 2017 at 10:10 am

This is just a smear campaign based on jealousy and nationalism ..put up or shut if proof exist…this company has been on our shores for decades

35. Alison Bullen
    Alison Bullen July 7, 2017 at 10:16 am

Wtf that’s nasty

36. Ser Adelphel
    Ser Adelphel July 7, 2017 at 10:39 am

The only plausible way these maggots could have found their way onto this sandwich is if it was left exposed for an inordinate amount of time because it would take a while for those maggots to emerge after the fly has transferred their eggs onto the meat because 1, chicken is cooked in deep fryers 2, all fast food chicken is kept in heat ( which maggots cannot survive in and it’s unbelievably difficult to believe that the person in charge of meat and sandwich preparation would have overlooked those maggots emanating from the sandwich ) 3, albeit the chicken is deceased, maggots DO NOT feed on healthy meat tissue they feed on rotting or decomposing meat tissue.

So it is incredibly implausible that maggots would have been found on that sandwich with one of the above scenarios occurring.

37. Laura AV Ellis Bowen
    Laura AV Ellis Bowen July 7, 2017 at 11:28 am

I don’t know if this is true or not but the poor people defending a corporation is mind blowing! Let’s say this was true ; do you think they would admit it! As for her going directly to Social Media that’s what people do these days! To the woman who said they throw away food at the end of the day; that’s not about safety! It’s about not giving anything away for free! In some Countries left over food are given to pantries to feed the hungry!!

38. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore July 7, 2017 at 11:38 am

so what the the ice cream cone now

39. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore July 7, 2017 at 12:04 pm

my friend said she bought a pizza from them yesterday an it was awful, chefette starting to get pop down just now the employees gine start having sex in the back :p

40. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore July 7, 2017 at 12:09 pm

I have been to chefette in harbour in fontabelle for ice cream,went upstairs to eat an all I could see was dead flies in the glass pane an cow webs ,needless to say I was gross out

41. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens July 7, 2017 at 12:45 pm

smhhhhhhhhhhhhh things ppl do just for attention hoping that others will jump on the band waggon she should be charged

42. Rowena Small
    Rowena Small July 7, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Rotten chicken in the roti give my 5year old food poisoning early this year.

43. Marcia Jpaul
    Marcia Jpaul July 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm

It’s all a lie ..chefette is always clean ..giw can maggot survive after cooking …she just wants a pay day ….

44. Mark My Word July 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm

No maggots can survive hot oil and live

Fly lay eggs, These larvae hatch from the eggs, sometimes in as little as 24 hours.
    Within 24 hours of being laid, maggots emerge from the eggs. These maggots – or fly larvae – look like tiny, pale white worms.

Maggots do best in an environment of decay. Rotting animal or plant matter suit the larvae, especially if there is an element of fecal matter in the mix. Dead animal corpses make an excellent environment for larvae, which is why you’ll often see maggots ‟emerge” from a dead animal.
    No maggots can survive hot oil and live

45. Hunte Omar
    Hunte Omar July 7, 2017 at 5:42 pm

There are people with a hidden agenda that would seek to undermine successful institutions like Chefette. They often appeal to people emotions than their common sense. Keep the good work up in giving back. This is the key to success .

46. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe July 7, 2017 at 6:49 pm

All fast food places are careless with handling food from time to time especially when they have alot of customers waiting on them. You don’t even know what they does put in the food to make it taste good….so de best thing to do is stop eating out so regular cause de greasy salty things that these people are selling don’t even full yah and they surely is gonna make yah sick sooner or later

47. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe July 7, 2017 at 6:52 pm

All these people defending and they don’t even know it it’s true or not. Just goes to show people don’t even care about their health

48. Ailse Ogazi
    Ailse Ogazi July 7, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Courtney Small

49. Marcia Addison Gilkes August 24, 2017 at 7:25 am

My partner and i were on holiday in barbados,, bought chicken at the black Rock chefette, when my partner start to eat the chicken he showed me the chicken were not cook properly, it had blood in it, we are not spreading untruth, my partner is a chef and good one . He gave the chicken back to the lady at the counter, and we left.