Jordan finally gets bail

Amal Sudheer Jordan was finally granted his freedom Wednesday after several bail applications and four months on remand, but not without some stringent conditions.

His release came after several hard fought battles between his lawyer Romario Straker and the police prosecutor in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court.

Jordan, who was recorded as having no fixed place of abode, has been on remand at HMP Dodds since early March, accused of stealing more than $7,500 in items and cash from tourists earlier this year.

The 22-year-old is alleged to have robbed Max Kessel of a digital camera, a camera bag, a haversack and BDS$180 in cash, as well as an iPhone, a bag, a speaker, a pair of pants, a pencil eraser and book belonging to Constantijn William, valued at a total $2,438.10, on February 12.

He is also charged with stealing a bag, a cellular phone, a pair of sunglasses, a wallet and US$200 belonging to Sam Corbin, as well as a bag, two cellular phones, a wallet and money belonging to Predrag Vojvodic, on January 29. Those items had a combined value of $4,890.07.

Jordan has denied all the charges.

However, he was remanded to the St Philip penal institution after the prosecutor explained to Magistrate Douglas Frederick the gravity of the alleged crime, which the Crown said, could have a detrimental impact on the island’s vital tourism industry. They also argued that Jordan’s arrest was a major breakthrough in police investigations into a spate of robberies.

His remand continued despite arguments by Jordan’s lawyer that his client was a first time offender, had a strong family unit, and, despite what was recorded on the charge sheet, had a fixed address.

At the last court sitting, Magistrate Frederick had informed the prosecutor that the grounds against bail could only hold for so long, and urged them to have disclosure ready by Wednesday’s court date.

However, that was not forthcoming, and Jordan was allowed to go after his $10,000 surety met the criteria of the court.

But his freedom came with some strict conditions. The accused man must now report to Central Police Station every Monday and Thursday before 10 a.m., with valid identification, as well as adhere to a daily 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. He must also reside with his father.

Jordan returns to court on
September 13.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *