Gibbs: Charge promoter for boy wukkin’ up on stage

Prosecute them!

That was the call this evening from President of the National Council of Parent Teachers’ Associations (NCPTA) Shone Gibb in reaction to a video taken on stage at a recent event, showing a young boy gyrating on a woman believed to be several times his age.

The event, Water Xplosion – Party in the Tropics, was held on July 2 at Paradise Park on  Harbour Road, The City and featured performances from bashment soca king Stiffy, along with Mole, Hardware and Lady Essence, among others.

In the video, during a performance on stage of Fluffy Girl’s Anthem by Lady Essence, the boy, believed to be 16, can be seen lasciviously engaging one of the dancers as the artiste belts out her 2017 Crop Over release.

Gibbs told Barbados TODAY he hoped police and the Child Care Board would “investigate that matter thoroughly and make sure whoever is responsible or who was negligent, be charged accordingly.

“The video is repulsive at its best,” he said as he called for proof of the young boy’s age.

“Bring me the ID that the youngster is 16 because I can’t support that. Even if he is 16, what examples are we setting for our children when we promote this kind of behaviour? This brings into context the whole issue of, unfortunately, what we are promoting in Barbados in terms of the bashment music and the bashment soca.

“Unfortunately, what we are getting in terms of lyrics, maybe the [National Cultural Foundation] needs to relook the whole programme. The videos that are the vehicles for the music also do not do justice to what we want to portray in Barbados as our major festival, when we have a tourism product that is supposed to support and encourage family setting and such like. Is this what we want to be known for? I say no,” the NCPTA president said emphatically.

Stressing that ignorance of the law was no excuse, Gibbs said the promoter must be held accountable, insisting that promoters must have some degree of knowledge of the industry.

“If you look at what was demonstrated on the video, you knew what you wanted to do in terms of promoting the act. So, you should also understand the consequences with such activities.”

He made reference to the recent incident at The Lester Vaughn School where several students were recorded attacking a fellow pupil, and the subsequent charges laid against those involved in that attack.

Boyce said it was unfortunate that the students had to face charges, “but everybody felt that a message had to be sent.

“So let’s send a message to the adults that continue year after year, especially during Crop Over, to take advantage of young people being involved in lewd behaviour.  Send a message to them that his will not be tolerated,” he said.

Meantime, Minister of Culture, Sports and Youth Stephen Lashley said the incident did not reflect well on the country, while he called for a collaborative effort to prevent such incidents.

“It speaks to the role of parents and guardians and when a young person, a minor, is behaving in a manner that is not in keeping with good behaviour, it requires immediate address if not by parents and guardians, then by authorities.

“Persons can go to parties and other Crop Over events and they can enjoy themselves, but the excessiveness is really not necessary and I would hope as we get into the climax of the Crop Over season that we enjoy ourselves, but do so in moderation,” he said.

It was only yesterday that Minister of Education Ronald Jones revived his attack on adults, who he said liked to criticize the debauchery of young people, while they exhibit unsavoury and morally disreputable behaviour on the road during Grand Kadooment, suggesting that some revellers behaved as though they had been overtaken by evil spirits.

17 Responses to Gibbs: Charge promoter for boy wukkin’ up on stage

  1. Miguel Griffith
    Miguel Griffith July 5, 2017 at 11:36 pm

    Charge the parents, not the promoters. That like blaming a teacher for a student’s bad behavior.

    Reply
  2. Ryan R A Charles
    Ryan R A Charles July 6, 2017 at 12:30 am

    charge all of them. Lady Essance, The Promoter, the parents,and the security. He should not have been on that stage yet alone at the event

    Reply
  3. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry July 6, 2017 at 12:49 am

    Who allowed him to go? Charge them too

    Reply
  4. Curious July 6, 2017 at 1:45 am

    And where is the voice of the National Organization of Women?

    Reply
  5. Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
    Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa July 6, 2017 at 2:26 am

    The boy looked waaaaaaaaaaaay younger than 16…regardless they have been letting kids as young as 12 go to these events to behave bad.

    Reply
  6. Peter R Rock
    Peter R Rock July 6, 2017 at 4:02 am

    Why don’t you say charge the politicians for this mess they have us in

    Reply
  7. Vernon Harris
    Vernon Harris July 6, 2017 at 4:22 am

    Where is Minster Steve Blackett and the nuisance from St. John Mara Thompson? They are awfully quiet. When the young man was on a platform giving a speech the two of them wanted to report someone for child abuse but we now have this situation and not a word from Steve or Mara.

    Reply
  8. Tennyson Joseph
    Tennyson Joseph July 6, 2017 at 4:40 am

    Blame ..blame syndrome is the biggest problem facing bajans ..blame the government having dumped their elderly relatives at the QEH.never looking back but enjoying their pensions.ect.
    Blame the when they dump their household rubbish all over the country..
    Blame the government for their sick leave which is spent shopping in NYC ..Miami
    Blame the government for offering pisss poor customer service ..and the blame goes on and on..

    Reply
  9. jrsmith July 6, 2017 at 5:45 am

    Why dont you people stop falling into the stupidity trap, just ignoring the issues which is so important to the black people of our barbados and getting caught , in what the politicians is always setting the people up for , taking the heat from themselves…….
    Why dont you clowns worry about how crooked and corrupt our country has become , drugs and guns allowed to flow , thats what to worry about……not some dance …………………………….

    Reply
  10. Cheryll Lewis
    Cheryll Lewis July 6, 2017 at 6:08 am

    Tha woman should be locked up, if it was a man with a young girl would have noise, no respect

    Reply
  11. Andy Lashley
    Andy Lashley July 6, 2017 at 6:16 am

    If the event had an age restriction.
    Then it is solely the promoters and the event organises responsibility to ensure that all the partygoers in the event are within the age restriction.
    Parents are ultimately responsible for their kids yes, but who among you can say your parents or parent in some cases knew everything you got up to as a kid?
    There are single parents that work late evenings and nights trying to do the best for there kids.
    Should they be made to pay other peoples irresponsibility in making these events accessible to kids and encouraging the kids to be in these sort of events?
    When there are just trying their best to put food on the table????
    I know everyone is going to say there irresponsible parents, we do know there are irresponsible parents.
    There are also good parents, in bad positions should they pay?
    The promoters and event organisers are just interested in making money there don’t care who paid for the tickets,
    There should be made to care………

    Reply
  12. F.A.Rudder July 6, 2017 at 2:20 pm

    Every one’s blaming everyone else but the boy who is of age to know respect, decency and deportment as these are the things that maketh man! Parental leadership is number one in a child’s life. If there is none; then how can a child analyze what’s normal behavior or what’s abnormal?

    Reply
  13. Julia Robinson July 6, 2017 at 2:26 pm

    It sad that Lady Essence has to go to such lengths to prove she can wukup. Regardless, everything will shake on her, she does not have to work that hard.

    Reply
  14. Belfast July 6, 2017 at 6:46 pm

    Have you ever observed a litter of newly born piglets? The little boars among them, with part of their navel string still attached,proceed to to do like their daddy boar. Our boys are quickly becoming like those little boar hogs. Is it instinct or a learned process?

    Reply
  15. David Hall July 6, 2017 at 7:17 pm

    Set stricter guidelines to protect children from situations such as these; including keeping kids out of Adult entertainment events. Am hoping this was impromptu and the little guy just ended up on stage and that this was not part of any act put on by the organizers. Seems unlikely that promoters would do this.

    Reply
  16. Tony Waterman July 7, 2017 at 3:00 am

    Why are you all trying to close the Gate, when the Horse has lomg gone left the Barn?????

    Why was the Lester Vaughn Issue Raised her, they are two completely different Issues.

    also the recognized age of majority under the Education Act, as well as in terms of the country’s labour and juvenile justice laws.

    “You go right through all our legislation and you’ll find it more to be 16 than 18,” (Faith Marshall-Harris)

    the Constitution by implication suggests that you need a doctor or a guardian with you if you are charged [until] the age of 16.“What is implied there is that at 16 you are on your own.

    The Legal Age for SEXUAL CONSENT in Barbados is 16 Years of Age, so under what LAW are we going to Charge anyone, for WUKKING UP?????

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *