Nursery school comes under scrutiny again

Local Child Care Board and labour officials are due to be brought up to speed on Monday on the situation at a local nursery, following reports of a sick out by ‘aunties’ last Tuesday over alleged bad treatment and working conditions, which led to their sacking on Friday.

Since then several pictures and unsavoury reports have been circulating on social media about Little Treasures Preschool in Clermont, St Michael, including calls for its immediate closure.

Barbados TODAY has tried unsuccessfully to contact the head of the school Janice Reid for comment on the situation.

However, one of the ten dismissed workers, who said she had been with the nursery for 13 years, alleged that children were being made to sleep on the floor and on tabletops and were being underfed.

This bagged portion of raw chicken is what aunties say constituted the daily allocation for 60 students.

The ‘aunty’ who did not want to be identified by name, also claimed that bleach water was used to bathe children on a number of occasions and that loud expletives were sometimes hurled within the earshot of the little ones.

One upset parent told Barbados TODAY that she received an urgent call from an upset ‘aunty’ last Friday advising her to collect her daughter immediately. She also said that she has since been bombarded with negative reports about the establishment.

“My daughter attended Little Treasures for over two years and now two years later I’m seeing pictures and videos of ill-treatment to those poor babies and not to mention to my own child,” the irate parent said, while alleging that her daughter had been placed in a cupboard for unknown reasons.

This picture has been circulating of a child in a cupboard, allegedly at Little Treasures.

“To my understanding it’s worse than I know it to be,” the mother said, while accusing the owner of disrespecting her staff and calling on parents to take action in the interest of their children.

Several other parents have also been venting their frustrations on the school’s Facebook page as well as Reid’s personal Facebook page, both of which have been deactivated since Saturday.

The nursery, which caters to over 60 children, has been in operation for 14 years. However, this is not the first time it has come under public scrutiny. Last year, the authorities stepped in after images of children sleeping in the patio were released.

However, the nursery has been allowed to remain open.

58 Responses to Nursery school comes under scrutiny again

1. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett July 2, 2017 at 2:41 pm

How do they expect people who entrusted their loved ones in their care to feel

2. Kim Gaskin
    Kim Gaskin July 2, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I am numb after read n this….
    After 14 yrs aunty talk n now she got fired?
    She needs a beat down as well as d owner
    Wicked ppl….

3. Jack Hanma
    Jack Hanma July 2, 2017 at 3:02 pm

So if they knew it was wrong why they still did it

4. Danny D Taken
    Danny D Taken July 2, 2017 at 3:09 pm

So it took y’all 13 years to speak up??? Smh

5. Kamila Burrowes
    Kamila Burrowes July 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

She now wait 14 years to speak out you guilty to as you took part in it all stupsez

6. Denise Edwards
    Denise Edwards July 2, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Smh and taking the people money every week

7. Ameko Edwards
    Ameko Edwards July 2, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Sophia Edwards

8. Denise Edwards
    Denise Edwards July 2, 2017 at 4:41 pm

They all want locking up

9. Sonia Seale
    Sonia Seale July 2, 2017 at 6:32 pm

However the Nursery was allowed to remain open after all that . What does this tell us? Your suspicions / thoughts are welcomed.

10. JoJo Clarke
    JoJo Clarke July 2, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Wanna gine suffer fa this…. got ppl children pon a cold ground sleeping… and this ent de first time … then de head aunty gine fire de rest because them talk !!!

11. JoJo Clarke
    JoJo Clarke July 2, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Omg…. a whole hundred fa that kinda treatment

12. Stacia Greaves
    Stacia Greaves July 2, 2017 at 8:11 pm

The staff is right about that place. The owner is a wicked b$!t@h. I worked there for 5 months and walked off that job with 3 children to feed and no job lined up, why, because i have a conscience and couldnt deal with it anymore and when child care board get call nothing is done. I even had to go to NIS to get she to pay the money for the time i was there and they even lied about that. I worked at other daycares but the owners of LITTLE TREASURES deserve investigating. I worked there years ago i can only imagine how it is now. The stories i could tell for the 5 months i was there is enough for u to ask how the hell them get away so long. I glad i see the day when Janice Reid get investigate. My only issue is the staff should have joined together and speak up every since

• T-Kay Pinx Simpson
      T-Kay Pinx Simpson July 2, 2017 at 9:33 pm

You should’ve said something I couldn’t ignore that if I were u..as a parent and a human being with a heart there is no way in hell I would allow those babies to get hurt.

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 2, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Many ppl pass thru there and called child care board with nothing coming out of it. I left there years ago. Any dealings there would have to be with the staff that stayed.

13. Stacia Greaves
    Stacia Greaves July 2, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I worked there ok not saying that what u are saying is wrong because of my conscience i had to walk of that job. The place is very clean, staff do not mistreat the children but its what the owner does that will frustrate you.

14. Stacia Greaves
    Stacia Greaves July 2, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I wish i could talk to u in person for u to understand better

15. Stacia Greaves
    Stacia Greaves July 2, 2017 at 8:31 pm

U have any idea how many ppl passed thru there and called child care board and nothing becomes of it. I can only speak about some of the issues i knew while i was there for that short time and i worked with those same ppl speaking up now. Only difference i walked off

16. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily July 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I don’t know how true this story is but what I know this parent pops in unannounced at various times of the day, week and term and uses her eyes and ears to observe her child’s nursery. And my mouth is never too lazy to object to anything that looks or sounds off. How parents weren’t aware of these insights before now?

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 5:54 am

Janice has a pretty smile and is very fake. Usually she is the one that hands over the children in the afternoon and she always tried to have the children quickly by the door so parents can take and move. The good thing about that daycare is it is very clean, never smells, and the staff do their job. It is what the staff have to put up with that would be
      frustrating. Child care board never takes the complaints of the staff serious. The only sad thing about this situation is that for years they have been trying to get child care board to intervene and now that they gone public they would just look like disgruntled workers.

17. T-Kay Pinx Simpson
    T-Kay Pinx Simpson July 2, 2017 at 9:35 pm

They should all be punished

18. T-Kay Pinx Simpson
    T-Kay Pinx Simpson July 2, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Lots of them want looking into I could tell u that had to keep moving my child am very observant n all they do is tell lies when ur child speak up as if everybdy foolish but them.

19. Scarfeeze Millan
    Scarfeeze Millan July 2, 2017 at 9:48 pm

This is some piece of work now you mean to tell me that for 14 years this day nursery has been operating and of all these children that goes to this nursery the parents have enrolled their children here not once on regular occasions of picking up and dropping off their kids don’t they let their preying eyes inspect the place for signs of abnormality when leaving you child in the care of others you have to be extremely cautious there are a lot of sick crazy people in this world and if I was to be taking my child and dropping them off at a nursery and I even see a mop bucket in the wrong place I’m either putting them on my back and taking them to work with me or I’m calling my work and telling them I’m not coming in today and I’m keeping my kid out of harms way and also to the workers of this nursery why even wait till this grows out of control when the parents are coming to pick up their kids id have to be wispering something to them as im handing the child to them or sneak them a piece of paper with my cell number on it and giving them the telephone sign okayyyyyy I hope miss Reid who ever she is has a big major fine to pay or face a minimal jail sentence of some sort cause this has been going on for a while and there is no excuse where you can’t close your doors even if it’s for a week and get your act together no excuses period that’s all and moving on

20. Mhizzjoan Moore
    Mhizzjoan Moore July 2, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Shut down the place before somebody lick she down fa the child

21. Itz Queen
    Itz Queen July 2, 2017 at 11:19 pm

What about Michelle’s in regency park?.somebody tell ma about she.

22. Philip Irie Clement
    Philip Irie Clement July 2, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Is this for real…. ?

23. Stacia Newsam
    Stacia Newsam July 3, 2017 at 1:02 am

Well maybe the public outcry will be enough the 2nd time around although 2late. My daughter went there for under 3 mths and I swiftly moved her to another nursery coz she had 3 ear and throat infections in that short space of time and used to bawl every morning when i got to the warrens, shwll swrvice station until a more mature aunty joined the nursery. I used to “barge” in occasionally to do a quick inspection of the area. But I had enough when I dropped her off good a Friday morning to return to a sick child the even and they denying she was good all day. Before I got from in front of the nursery child and car was drenched in vomit. I never regretted moving her to Copiae Day care.

24. Donna Haynes
    Donna Haynes July 3, 2017 at 4:58 am

All if them want a beat down Stupesssssss and some of these parents seems to be blind or don’t carish… I does notice things about my child in a heartbeat

25. Sunil Brome
    Sunil Brome July 3, 2017 at 7:10 am

If these alledged acts actually took place, then those who worked there prior are just as guilty, I don’t want to hear stories of you walking off because you had a conscience, if you did you would have walked straight to CCB. This is just disgusting what is being alledged. I hope CCB does not drag its feet on this matter. Either clear the operation of wrongdoing or pursue them if the allegations are substantiated. But if you worked there for so many years knowing this was going on ALL of you ought to be charged if true.

• Rashida Sealy
      Rashida Sealy July 3, 2017 at 7:37 am

Totally agree with you.

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 8:43 am

U have any idea the amount of times child care board has been called for that day care. NOTHING WAS EVER DONE. so its easy to say go to child care board. But what do they do. None of the complaints that was made was taken serious. I dont owe nobody no explanation i said what i said because i had my reasons. Children dying and CCB still cant get their act together. So dont assume the staff did not try. I can only speak of my experience and dont have to care about anybody opinion on it

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 8:46 am

When CCB step to hell up and actually do their job and investigate when staff make complaints ppl wouldnt be then able to blame the staff for doing nothing. Its only so much complaints that can be made.

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 8:47 am

And me personally when i was approaching 5 months i left because i couldnt deal with it anymore. There was no way i was staying there for years fighting them to do whats right

• Sunil Brome
      Sunil Brome July 3, 2017 at 9:25 am

How many time did you go to CCB, how many times did you go to the police, how many times did you go to the media? You went to work for five months a allegedly watch children being abused, while still collecting your pay.

• Donna September 18, 2017 at 1:11 pm

You sick. She just had to go once. Don’t blame her. The authoriyie9dhiuld have acted immediately.

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 9:37 am

I never said i saw children get abuse. Lets make that clear. I said the things that the owner does would frustrate the staff. The aunties did their jobs, its how the owners would do things

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves July 3, 2017 at 9:41 am

And mr sunil brome if u care for me to elaborate on some issues they have to enlighten u on the situation to give u a better understanding. Feel free to PM me.

• Sunil Brome
      Sunil Brome July 3, 2017 at 10:40 am

No thanks once it is that you never saw the abuse which is my issue.

26. Patrina Drakes
    Patrina Drakes July 3, 2017 at 7:31 am

The CCB needs to be investigated first because of what some of said above is true and they were called did nothing and ever few minutes playing adds about child abuse smh. The aunties and owners all the staff at this place want looking into and charging. Now I cannot believe this wicked person work and witnessed 13 years of wickness and only speak out after being fired. Anyone that mistreat children, elderly, animals or anything that is dependent on them are evil

27. Bernard Pinder
    Bernard Pinder July 3, 2017 at 7:46 am

Well if people had to get fire for this news to come out this remind me of the chefette girl wid de creepers in the chicken bajans only wanna hear something an always remember birds of.a feather flock together if de boss did doing wrong for 13:!years what difference between she an the workers .

28. Viveean Foster
    Viveean Foster July 3, 2017 at 8:13 am

Wow I know the owner personally. If she did this I would be quite lost by her actions. Hmmmmmmm

29. Viveean Foster
    Viveean Foster July 3, 2017 at 8:17 am

Exactly. Children talk. At some time you would catch your child lying on the floor and ask why. And they would say aunty make us do this. Hmmmmm

30. T-Kay Pinx Simpson
    T-Kay Pinx Simpson July 3, 2017 at 8:32 am

They dont

31. Sunil Brome
    Sunil Brome July 3, 2017 at 9:30 am

If Aunty had get a raise none of us would have heard about this. This whole story is sickening, I pray it is false.

32. Wendy Jemmott
    Wendy Jemmott July 3, 2017 at 9:54 am

Disgusting don’t you have an outside body that checks on schools there like Ee have ofsted in the UK

33. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner July 3, 2017 at 11:41 am

So why was this nursery school not throughly investigated the first time and is surprise health inspections not done by ministry of heath,oh forget it’s Barbados we talking about.

34. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch July 3, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Love to pop in unannounced at my children and now grandchildren nursery. This nanny mouth ain,t got much cover.

35. AniRo Burke
    AniRo Burke July 3, 2017 at 3:43 pm

So it only is a problem now wunna fired?! Money covers all sins nuh!

36. Curtis Greenidge
    Curtis Greenidge July 3, 2017 at 5:13 pm

What is wrong with Barbados is Everything in the country turning to rot

37. Cathy-ann Gill
    Cathy-ann Gill July 3, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Hope u didn’t think whanah children birthday cakes were cut up for sharing. GARBAGE it went. GO AND ASK her about that.

38. Bernard Pinder
    Bernard Pinder July 3, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Well I know bajans ignorant why this news only come out after these aunties get fired this story out of pure revenge.

39. watchful warrior July 3, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Child Care Board again…Again not caring…again not investigating…Again not giving a fart….The should open Pandora’s box about all the others…

40. Thunder July 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

It is so sad that these little flowers of God’s garden can be treated this way,this is totally unacceptable, but God doesn’t sleep,the story had to be told,the school should be close
    d,and she should be banned from working with kids.
    I applaud the Aunties for speaking out,I pray that this situation will be dealt with speedily,why would you put someone’s child in a cupboard? this is so wrong,so wrong!

41. Bim July 17, 2017 at 7:09 am