Lashley nosedives

Support for Christ Church West Central MP plunges

Minister of Culture, Sports and Youth Stephen Lashley knows he will have a difficult time retaining his Christ Church West Central seat when even those who say they are undecided also call for the back of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) Government.

The task seems even more daunting when it emerges that a large number of those voters have been long-standing DLP supporters.

“That is one question I can’t answer, but I believe whoever running for the Bees [Barbados Labour Party (BLP)] I would like them to come in [win]. That is true,” said a female resident of Vauxhall, the first stop by Barbados TODAY two weeks ago in a random check of the Pulse of the People.

Insisting there was a need for a change of Government, the woman, who did not give her name, added: “It does not make any difference to me [who wins], honestly, ‘cause all are the same. I vote before . . . I’m a strong Dee, but I’m not voting this election. And I asked my daughter not to vote either.”

Having won the seat in 2008 when he first entered Parliament, Lashley again triumphed in 2013, defeating the BLP’s Margo Durant-Callender by a reasonably comfortable margin of 828 votes, polling 2,940 votes to 2,112 by Durant-Callender.

However, as the most recent poll conducted by Caribbean Development Research Services (CADRES) found, overall support for the DLP is at an all-time low of 11 per cent, and Lashley has apparently been caught in the vortex.

Christ Church West Central’s constituency office.

In previous visits to other constituencies, few of the voters who had supported the DLP in the past, and who had declared they were undecided this time around, were rushing to the Mia Mottley-led BLP.

However, it appeared different in Christ Church West Central, where long-time Dems supporters were openly calling for their party to lose, or were stating they would vote for first-time BLP candidate, pharmacist Adrian Forde.

“As I tell somebody, I disenchanted. I don’t even know right now. When the day comes I will just make my decision. What I could tell you is that anytime that these people [DLP] in, I does be smelling s**t,” said a disgruntled Vauxhall voter who gave his name as Freddie.

“I am not going for the Dees again, though. Mia is so very intellectual and she is so fluent.  She looks like she might be able to help us . . . .Yeh, I going vote the Bees though,” pledged Yvonne Fenty of Warner’s Park, in a strong message to her husband Wayne, who had told Barbados TODAY he planned to stay home on voting day.

“I am fed up with this Government. Tell the truth. But six is half dozen of the other. The way I feel now, I don’t think I will vote,” Wayne said.

The recent CADRES poll found that 52 per cent of Barbadians would prefer Mottley as Prime Minister, a mammoth 44 per cent difference in support between the BLP leader and Prime Minister Freundel Stuart.

Among the potential Mottley supporters is a constituent who called himself The Man That Cares.

He, too, has been supporting the DLP for many years, but has had enough of this Government.

“She [Mottley] is my girl and I would feel good to know she get it [wins the Government]. If I have to vote, it would have to be Mia,” he said.

Of course, there were some Lashley supporters, such as Warner’s Park resident Jeffrey Clarke, who pledged to stick with their man.

Even then, there was some hesitation.

“I will stick with the incumbent [Lashley] until I see concrete . . . . I don’t know. I say that, but hesitantly, because you don’t know what the other party would do,” Clarke said, his sentiments were echoed by a Briar Hall Lashley supporter who wanted to be referred to as Concerned Bajan.

“I don’t know it matters which one [party] you get. Nothing ain’t feel like it going to change any time soon,” he said.

There was much firmer support for the incumbent from spritely 80-year-old grandmother Ellison Grannum, also of Briar Hall, who was selling mangoes at her front door.

Ellison Grannum

However, she was not certain that she would turn out to vote.

“From the time I know myself, the first person [party] I started to vote for was this party [DLP]. The last person I voted for was this party. My mind just turn from voting for any party,” Grannum said.

But after complaining vehemently that Lashley had failed to attend the funeral of her daughter, who had voted for him, the elderly mother of eight said she still intended to support the DLP if she decided to vote again.

“I am not giving Mia my vote,” she said.

Unlike the mood among Lashley supporters, long-time BLP backers such as Marcia Prescott of Vauxhall were enthusiastic about their party.

“I will be 64 years next month . . . . I was a BLP from the time I was 18 years. I will never leave them and all who ‘round me stick with the BLP too,” she declared proudly.

It was the same with a male voter, also of Vauxhall, who spoke on behalf of his three-member household.

“I voting for the Barbados Labour Party . . .  all we here,” he gleefully announced.

The mountain that Lashley must climb to retain the seat was put into perspective by a young female voter of Briar Hall, who did not give her name.

She appeared to have been a supporter of the incumbent, but like so many others, she said she simply had enough of the DLP.

“I am very dissatisfied with this administration. I am tired of being led by people that I think are less than intelligent,” the young woman told Barbados TODAY.

“I don’t think you can deny the damage that they have done. You cannot deny it. So they need to go.”

emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

26 Responses to Lashley nosedives

1. Frank Fowler
    Frank Fowler June 30, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Lashley too. This is going to be a bloodbath when the election bell is rung

2. Shawn Pablo
    Shawn Pablo July 1, 2017 at 12:00 am

CHRIST CHURCH MASSIVE YEAH THINGS DREAD WE VOTING RED . MRS FENTY I GINE SEE YOU AT THE

3. Breadfruit. July 1, 2017 at 12:23 am

@ joan

yuh gine say did article bias too?

Tek a poll from here and yuh gine see wha I telling yuh.

4. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce July 1, 2017 at 4:01 am

#LashHimOUT!

5. Patsy Yearwood
    Patsy Yearwood July 1, 2017 at 5:57 am

Run run lil hitler , run fàh cover

6. harry turnover July 1, 2017 at 6:22 am

Joan,…..people down by me say that Steve gine win with an increase majority….dah talk bias too ?
    Wonder how people like you and CCC especially gine handle it when the results start to roll in next year.
    Estwick big and bold and with the furiosity of a pit bull says that if Stuart don’t want to be PM anymore, he want to be…lord have mercy as if he doesn’t know Stuart by now.
    Estwick ,man you en even gine be the leader of the Opposition cause all a wunna gone through de eddoes and Mia through the goodness of her heart gine suggest that 5 members of the Business community should sit on the Opposition benches to offer alternatives to some measures.

7. Zeus July 1, 2017 at 7:19 am

Harry honestly what credentials miss mottley bringing to the table that got you convince she can lead barbados anywhere…you love responding to people …respond to me

8. Troy July 1, 2017 at 7:43 am

Adrian Forde got my vote. And my entire neighborhood. Lashley must go. It’s a waste of time he canvassing up here . De people don’t want to see he. Voting Red all the way

9. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 1, 2017 at 8:10 am

IF LIFE BE SPARED I WANT TO BE THE FIRST AT POLLING STATION OB1 FA DEM RASS…RUN FA COVER, NOT MY VOTE Dale Marshall

10. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba July 1, 2017 at 8:12 am

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, IN CASE ANYONE MISUNDERSTAND..NOT MY VOTE …FOR THE DLP

11. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 8:52 am

@ Harry

You have not been reading my responses properly. I recommended that the UPP put a good candidate in your constituency because Holder seems to be a lost cause. I also asked her to run in St. Michael East but she preferred to send one Forte to do the job. St. James Central was another constituency I asked a third party leader ( Grenville Phillips) to start canvassing immediately . Yes, I rubbished the poll that Sunday based on the bias previously shown by the trickster. It published two poll results within a week in 2013 . One was for truthful and and the other was imaginary. The original poll turned out to be the correct one. You have to know who are the fiction writers working for your party before you can say that these weekly reports are a true reflection of what is taking place in the various constituencies. Very strange Dale Marshall is worried about the number of people who not voting next time around and the writer of this article could find all the ones who voting for the BLP, not voting DLP , none who voted for an Owen led BLP but hate the guts of Mial, none who voting third party and only two or three who not voting. Yes, I rubbish this report also. By the way, I see Barbados Solutions show they mean business by nominating a candidate and telling Barbadians what they plan to do to turn around the economy. That is good news. All the BLP has done in the response to the Budget and subsequently , is to tell people make Barbados great again by voting for them. That worked for Trump in the American. It wouldn’t work for Mia in Barbados. The electorate wants to know whether she will continue to print money, go to the IMF or continue with Sinckler’s austere measures by a different name. I was not on the island for the 2008 election but I have been reliably informed that some of the masterminds working in the background for the BBBBB”S are the same ones who worked for David Thompson and their modus operandi is well known to Freundel.

@ Breadfruit

Eat yuh young breadfruits. I hear they are good for lowering blood pressure . Don’t let the 2018 results give you a stroke. Have a good day.

12. Donild Trimp July 1, 2017 at 8:59 am

Looks like BT blocked me.

13. Donild Trimp July 1, 2017 at 9:00 am

Oh, oh.

Maybe not.

14. Zeus July 1, 2017 at 9:02 am

Joan everybody got a plan to turn around the economy …what is so different to solutions Barbados …..A report earlier this week said no Caribbean country right now has investor status even Trinidad has been reduce to junk status and they have oil …..solutions Barbados is saying to remove taxes and ask business to pay 10%of their profits to government…..lol government can’t even get business to pay their water bill ….Mia mottley in times of plenty has nothing to show for it …edutech …the prison….the forensic science center and there is a small hotel along Worthing road ….what will she do in times of hardship

15. Donild Trimp July 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

SOLUTIONS BARBADOS is saying what they plan to do for Barbadians and for the country going forward.

This is how you win elections. Now I will be paying attention to this party.

The DLP is still leading the way with policies and ideas as is evident with the recent budget but as SOLUTIONS BARBADOS is showing, they plan to do things different from what the current Government is doing.

The BLP cannot say what they will do differently so who is going to vote for a party whose platform is criticize, criticize but no ideas going forward.

16. Carson C Cadogan July 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

Every news media poll in the USA had Hilary Clinton winning the US presidency.

What was the actual result again?

Let me quote our Prime Minister The Right Hon. Fruendel Stuart:

“The only poll that matters is polling day”

17. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 9:39 am

@Zeus

I am not a textbook economist. I want to hear what Jeremy Steven, Straughn, Mascoll, George Belle, Joseph, Don Marshall, Professor Michael Downes and the other hard seeds have to say about Solutions Barbados” proposals . In England I could turn to the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Gurardian etc. to get an alternative view from one of the respective economics correspondents when the ruling party or the opposition make proposals or
    counter-proposals. In Barbados that is not the case. Yes, they are biased as hell over there but at least you have alternatives which you can weigh in the scales and make decisions. So far all you have from the BLP is marching, rubbing shoulders, criticisms and ”blocking”.

18. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 9:55 am

Above should read Professor Andrew Downes and not Michael Downes.

19. Breadfruit. July 1, 2017 at 10:16 am

@ Groan

you on de young breadfruit now? If not yuh bettuh start now. yuh will get to like d taste by d time 2018 get here.

Yuh no d writtings on d wall and yuh begging fuh an opposition but d Ds will be de opposition dem third parties aint ready yet.

Seem d only article or poll you would accept as not being bias is one dat not in favor of the BLP.

De only Bs owen got is de ones in St Peter and you
    De divide in d BLP was in MP not in d general public.

Mia had d last election in de bag. Owen did know that de BS did gine win. He back raised she and de voter rejected he AGIN

duh aint reject mia yet.

20. Rumboy July 1, 2017 at 11:38 am

The DLP does not deserve a 3rd Term
    They have done nothing to indicate that they will get us out of the hole they dug in 1991 and return us to in 2008. They should not be given anymore time
    You people need to VOTE them out. Do not play around with your vote

21. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 11:54 am

Breadfruit

You better take off those blinkers. There are thousands of BBBB”s throughout Barbados that don’t want to hear the name Mia called. I told you that Dale Marshall is a worried man. You should be worried too. I already told you that it doesn’t matter me whether BBB, DDD or the others are in Government or Opposition. I will express my independent views whether they offend BBBB”S, DDD’S, OOOOOO”S , QQQQ’S or PPPP’S . I love the beautiful sunshine of Barbados where I was born but if push comes to squeeze, I can return to the country where I spent 2/3 of my working life. I don’t have to depend on young breadfruits for survival. I am a fully paid up member of the NHS of the U.K.

22. Zeus July 1, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Joan the names you mentioned were they living in Barbados in 2008 or the world for a matter of fact …..no pun intended but where are their solutions …..you just want to hear opinions ….by the way did you read in the daily mail about the queen summoning the top economists in England and ask them why did they not see this coming ….talking about the 2008 downturn of the world economy …..another thing don’t you want to hear Mia the economist

23. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Ha ha ha, Zeus. I called names. I want to hear what they have to say about Solution Barbados’ proposals. I don’t know if Mia is an economist. I would have to ask Dr. Lowe. lol

• Carson C Cadogan July 1, 2017 at 2:28 pm

“I don’t know if Mia is an economist”

Mia does not even have a LAW CERTIFICATE.

And we are yet to find out if she has an LLB. But, she was called to the Bar.

24. joan Worrell July 1, 2017 at 1:54 pm

By the way Zeus , as far as I can recall, she summoned them in 2009. She might have to summon them again since things getting back there with BREXIT. I laugh when I read the b.s that is coming from the three unions in Barbados who plan to destabilize the country. Young people with degrees , if they can get a job are working as security guards , clerks and check-out people at Primark, Pound Saver, Poundworld Poundland, Poundstretcher, Marks and spencer etc. etc.. It is rough in U.K but food is reasonably priced. Talking about credit cards, these people will not pay off their debt in their lifetime. Most of them don’t have a gratuitable job. They work on contract . God Help them when they reach retiring age.

25. Carson C Cadogan July 1, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Any one know if Jeremy Stephens has any qualifications in economics?