Oh no, BGLAD!

School is not the place for sexuality to be on display, implicitly or explicitly.

That was the stern response issued Thursday by President of the National Council of Parent Teacher Associations Shone Gibbs to a call made by the Barbados Gays, Lesbians and All-Sexuals against Discrimination (B-GLAD) for educators to be tolerant of students who may be attracted to the same sex.

Arguing that these pupils should be allowed to express their attractions to each other as freely as their heterosexual counterparts, BGLAD’s President Donnya Piggott, in her contribution to Wednesday’s Global Shapers panel on national issues, said she was concerned that much to the detriment of many young people, schools in Barbados continued to mirror society’s discrimination of alternative lifestyles.

“I am not talking about having sex in school because this is wrong. But I am talking about being able to hold hands, having crushes,” Piggott explained.

However, Gibbs was adamant that school was no place for sexuality of any kind to be on show.

He also questioned the perceived need by BGLAD for educators to be more accommodating.

“There is no hassle involved, there is no difficulty in our system for persons to represent who they feel they are. So I don’t know what is more accommodating. What I will say is that schools are not for, or they don’t cater to, the open expressions of sexuality or sexual preferences, so to make accommodations for gays and lesbians is a no no. Sorry!

“We are dealing with education centres that have a purpose,” he added.

Gibbs also argued that Government had a responsibility to protect the vulnerable and the young.

“I see persons who are impressionable as persons who are also vulnerable. We must protect those young minds and make sure that they are fed based on societal norms and practices and the values that we as a Christian society hold dear. That is most important,” he stressed.

In response to Piggott’s claim that there were concerted efforts to ensure that no LGBT teachers were allowed in the classroom, Gibbs emphasized that professional teachers should never put their sexual preferences on display.

“. . . that should not be an issue. If a teacher is as professional as they should be, their sexual preferences or their choice of their life sexually should not be on display. So it should not be a problem,” Gibbs added.

11 Responses to Oh no, BGLAD!

1. Cynthia Bee
    Cynthia Bee June 29, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I just asked my Bajan Husband if straight School Children we allowed to hold hands as I know in the small islands children got suspended for anything of this nature ,, sad sad sad what else

2. Fuji Kidd
    Fuji Kidd June 29, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Check Loop Barbados for the correct report and not this sensationalized, out-of-context garbage from Barbados Today

3. Demetrius Garrett
    Demetrius Garrett June 29, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Expose young school children’s minds to what? Homosexuality is already “exposed” to young people. I’m getting sick and tired of the Christian faith in Barbados feeling the need to impose their beliefs on others. If you don’t agreed with homosexuality then ignore it. Furthermore we are not a Christian society. We are a multicultural faith base one, yet again y’all Christianity want to be supreme above all. Sickening to the core.

4. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward June 29, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Lol the attack is on strong…..I thought it ended but I see the response is on..

5. Patty June 29, 2017 at 10:32 pm

what is this world coming to? I suppose someone will be arguing next for people to be allowed to carry on relationships openly with animals..Is nothing right and wrong anymore? Wait, they say truth is relative…I guess anything goes now? It is a world where people do whatever they like! ,My, My My!
    I guess, if I say somethings are dead wrong I will be called a bigot and homophobic…well go ahead call me so

• Cajun Francois June 29, 2017 at 11:40 pm

An animal cannot consent to a relationship. With that being said, I deem your comment void of logic

6. Rishona Graham
    Rishona Graham June 29, 2017 at 10:34 pm

what???!!

7. fedup June 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

Wuh Piggott duz do fuh a living?

8. joan Worrell June 30, 2017 at 9:24 am

Why only BGLAD Pigott? Ask BLP Lorenzo too. lol

9. Watchman June 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm

It must be viewing to find an adult to mix and mingle with……now the people want your children. You see how the hunger grows and is never satisfied? Its not enough for consenting adults……but happiness doesn’t come until the whole world is BGLAD.

10. Peter July 23, 2017 at 8:45 am

School is where the next generation is taught how to exist and thrive in modern society, in all of its aspects.
    Ignoring, or suppressing, the social aspects of a child’s life in order to make it easier on the educators is wrong.
    Gone are the days of the school marm teaching reading, writing and ‘rithmatic! If you are not prepared to ready children for adulthood, you are not an educator.