Honesty’s beef with cyclists

Motorcyclists who engage in reckless stunts on the nation’s roads, putting other road users at risk in the process, represent a major source of concern to calypsonian, Honesty.

So much so that the 22-year-old performer, whose real name is Charice Walrond, has made it the subject of a 2017 calypso called De Road Is Not De Place. It speaks about a personal life-threatening experience that changed her views about stunts being done on the road by these daredevil motorcyclists.

Honesty

Recounting the experience, Honesty said she and her daughter were on upper Broad Street by the stoplights. As they were proceeding along the pedestrian crossing, some cyclists rode up performing stunts and hurt a tourist who was also crossing the road.

Honesty and her three year old daughter were lucky to escape injury.

“There were about eight of them and basically two of them went right over the line and circle and wheeling around the tourist and I was telling myself ‘this is bear foolishness’.”

She went on: “I didn’t know what to do or think. While one of the guys was actually wheeling, he flopped it and the bike actually came at me and my daughter. We moved but I was very upset.”

She said she did not hide her displeasure but the biker responded “that people like me real foolish and that he should have killed me and my daughter, that we have no sense and we don’t know what the art of biking is”.

Honesty admitted that before this incident took place back earlier this year, she had been approached to do the song but was reluctant to sing it because she actually liked seeing the cyclists. However, after her ordeal,  she said the song would be a rallying call for the lawlessness to stop.

“I don’t mind these guys doing these stunts, but the road is a serious place to practice this thing. You are targetting other people of all age categories and as far as I am concerned, they are selfish, not studying other people. So my opinion is to stop it before the law has to come to a point where they have to implement other rules” she said.

Honesty said her experience added new meaning to the song and she would be singing it with vigour.  “I am telling you bikers straight to yuh face the dangerous wheelie and stunts bout there, the road is not the place, no way, no time, no day . . . ” the lyrics say.

9 Responses to Honesty’s beef with cyclists

1. Helicopter(8P) June 29, 2017 at 11:01 am

When the police commissioner gives the order to his subordinates to have confiscation of such involved motorcycles by record of their license plate registration the illiteracy will be brought to an end!

2. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor June 29, 2017 at 11:30 am

I hope that something is done soon those idiots almost give me a heart attack while driving near BNOC not long ago. Then we will hear it’s the driver’s​ fault

3. Menace II Babylon June 29, 2017 at 11:38 am

@ helicopter, License plate? My grandmother always said assumptions were reserved for …… They have no plates, road tax disc, insurance…. where do you live helicopter? You are legally certified as blind? As usual in our society it is only addressed when massa is hurt or in trouble.

Please don’t tarnish all bikers, we do pay road tax, insured comprehensively and ride appropriately obeying the road tax code.

MIIB

4. Menace II Babylon June 29, 2017 at 12:15 pm

A zillion things happening to us a people and as a race, everyday them made up recession casing poor man business to crumble, people laid off left right and centre, taxes killing we, private sector slashed, can’t get no work, bus service in meltdown, syndicate running things SOW, BALONEY AND BJERKOFF and poor man can’t sniff ah contract, people suffering, absolute poverty, prices matching UK in food, job security and attainment, economy and IMF looming, crime, firearms in abundance, highest cost of living in Caricom, cocaine shipment point but a tourist get run over and you write a song and want kudos….. You won’t find it here.

Stupppesss…. Are you for real…..? Sounds like she add some beef and curry to the story too. I ride bike and hard too, locally and internationally and I know majority of the cyclist even some of the illegal ones. I did not read it but I choose to. Thanks for highlighting the biggest menace in society to our livelihood.

Bandwagonist. No foward.

MIIB

5. elizabeth blunte June 29, 2017 at 1:39 pm

@ Menace II Babylon the lady said that one of the cyclist nearly hit her and her daughter and commented that he should of killed them. I think that is what really drove her to perform the song.

6. Bonita Weekes
    Bonita Weekes June 29, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Why would somebody feel that because pay taxes they can do as they like on the roads? I pay taxes too and I have a right to feel save on the road. Broad Street is no place for bikers to be doing stunts or what ever they do. Almost every Friday that foolishness happens, an accident could happen and several people get hurt or killed. It is dangerous, when something happens then what? Can’t they find some where else to do that? One day something will tragic will happen, almost every time something is wrong there are people who will still defend it. Guess common sense isn’t so common after all.

7. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva June 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Give these bikers the opportunity to show off their stunts. Give them permission to use busy park at certain times or build a track park for them. Spectators can go watch for free. Every Friday we use one of our race track facilities for bikers and car drives to have fun at no cost. Many people go to watch. This helps to get the need/urge out of their system to take part in illegal activity on the streets. It gives them a outlet to brag and show of, which is what they are doing on public streets. If these people had somewhere to go where they will not be bothered and can just let loose and have fun there would be less problems on the streets. Our police department came up with the idea and it has decreased problems of racing on the streets significantly. We also have offers who are into bike stunting and car racing who attend the events as participants not officers, you wouldn’t know they were offers unless you know them or they told you. They are there as one of the regular guys, it also builds a good relationships. It been an event for about 2 decades now and there has never been any problems whatsoever. There are venders selling food and drink. No alcohol is allowed. It attracts the young and not so young. There has been nothing but positives. Bajan young people need to have places provided where they can go to hangout that’s fun and safe.

8. John Strutton
    John Strutton June 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Barbados Today: Cyclists pedal. Motorcyclists ride motorcycles. Idiots perform stunts on the public highway. Sort your headlines out.

9. ChariceHONESTYwalrond June 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Hi guys. Honesty here. I agree with @Maria leclair dasliva and most importantly @elizabeth blunte totally correct for my reason for continuing to sing my song. Now i get to you @ Menace ll babylon you read my statment and took it from your point of view and not the one which was written. Your offened and HONESTLY speaking I DONT CARE IF YOU ARE but in all fearness you are correct about one thing not all bikers don’t pay road tax some do and i HONESTY hope you continue to do so.