Don’t blame us!

Waiki promoter ‘gutted’ by unruly behaviour

One of the organizers of the popular Waiki beach party has condemned the “lawless” behaviour of those who disrupted the event at Pirate’s Cove, The City last Sunday, forcing it to come to an early end.

At the same time, promoter Nathan Mayers is seeking to distance the organizers from those who engaged in such rowdy behaviour outside the event that police had to be called in to restore order.

Nathan Mayers of Waiki

Mayers told Barbados TODAY in a brief telephone interview he was disappointed in the turn of events which saw patrons reportedly breaking down the fence in a mad scramble to get into the event.

“As a promoter I’m gutted to know that after the amount of work that we put into Waiki, what happened actually spoiled a good event. The behaviour was unacceptable outside,” he said.

He made it clear there was adequate security to protect patrons inside the venue, adding this was where the organizers’ responsibility lay.

“Really and truly our security is inside. You can’t expect our security to leave to take care of people outside the venue and leave people that actually paid and are inside the venue at a risk. That’s why the police were called,” he explained.

Mayers said the event had been running smoothly and everyone on the inside was having a good time, before things got out of control outside.

“Inside the venue nothing was happening . . . . The police were called to restore order outside the venue because of the masses and the lawlessness that was happening outside the venue.”

The Waiki team today also posted an apology on their Facebook and Instagram pages, which included a justification of their decision to bring the event to an
early end.

“The Waiki team apologizes to its loyal patrons for the rowdy behaviour by its fellow patrons outside the venue. Whilst ensuring the safety of our patrons the decision was made to bring the event to a premature end due to the potential hazards. It was a tough, but necessary one.

“We also want to thank the RBPF [Royal Barbados Police Force] who were very cooperative and helpful with the situation at hand. Currently the Waiki team is in the planning stages of our Waiki Duplex event to ensure that this does not recur,” the post stated.

Fellow promoter Jason Simmons, who along with his team held the successful Valhalla event last Saturday night, echoed Mayers’ sentiments about security for paying patrons.   

Shawn ‘Tanq’ King, founder of Waiki

“In a case like Waiki, that incident was outside the event. It may sound a bit harsh but that has nothing to do with the promoter or their security. The security is hired to protect patrons inside the event. Anything patrons do outside the event is at their own risk,’ Simmons said.

Several people were arrested during the fracas as police sought to bring the situation under control.

However, a video showing an officer kicking a man who was on the ground has gone viral and has become the symbol of the police intervention, reigniting debate on police brutality.

Simmons said the situation could have been handled differently.

“Unfortunately, it was not dealt with in a good manner. Something needs to be done because this is not the first time something like this would have happened. With me, I had an encounter with the [police] Task Force where they put their hands on me wrongfully and that is still being dealt with.”

Meantime, Simmons is urging patrons at events this Crop Over to be on their best behaviour.

“All patrons need to do is have fun in a respectful manner and wait patiently in the line, don’t get agitated because at the end of the day the promoters do their best to get patrons inside in a timely manner. If everyone just cooperate everything would be better,” he stressed.

davandrababb@barbadostoday.bb

4 Responses to Don’t blame us!

  1. Sam Pillie June 21, 2017 at 9:09 am

    If the Police are called to restore order at a party/fete and this is the way the organizers/promoters of these parties/fetes comment about the Police then they should NEVER be given permits to have parties/fetes again, or the Police should make some tough demands for a permit be given.

    It’s about time that these promoters have some respect for the law and I would say that these rude boys should be shot by the police (not killed) to send a clear message that fighting with the Police will not be tolerated.

    They just have NO respect for the Police so before it gets fully into Crop-over Celebrations the Commissioner and his staff needs to send a clear message that fighting with the Police is a NO NO.

    We want peaceful parties/fetes during our festival and the disrespectful promoters and rude-boys must be dealt with early.

    Reply
    • Kevin June 21, 2017 at 10:54 am

      Did you read the same article or you just hear to spew venom? Or maybe I should ask, can you read and comprehend? The promoters were on the police side and thanked them profusely.

      Reply
  2. nanci June 21, 2017 at 11:35 am

    they shouldve held the fete inside a building where people will have to pay to get inside, but holding it outside, there will be too many areas to safeguard, and people will not want to pay, so they will overstep the rules.

    Reply
  3. Milli Watt June 21, 2017 at 11:50 am

    gutted………..gutted and I got to be explain why I had to robustly kick a weapon from beneath an unruly patron stupse. Next time you go outside and restore order man

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *