Cloud over abandoned match

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – A scheduled practice match between West Indies and a Trinidad and Tobago XI set for Tuesday seems to have been ruined because the choice of venue was not given the thumbs-up by players union, WIPA.

In a statement yesterday, the Trindad and Tobago Cricket Board said Cricket West Indies operations manager Roland Holder wrote TTCB chief executive Suruj Ragoonath to indicate the game could not proceed because of the choice of the National Cricket Centre as the venue instead of the previously agreed Brian Lara Cricket Academy.

“CWI is unable to approve the WI team playing at the NCC,” the TTCB said Holder wrote in his communication.

“The game was agreed on the basis of it being played at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy and that West Indies Players’ Association has not approved of our international team playing at the NCC.”

Bizarrely, the NCC is a regular host venue for matches in the Regional first class championship and Super50 tournament while the Brian Lara Stadium, only opened in March, is yet to host a regional match.

The TTCB said, however, that the Brian Lara Stadium was unavailable because of ongoing work on the pitch and outfield at the newly-completed facility.

“In the circumstances the match is being called off,” the TTCB statement said.

“The TTCB wishes to thank the players for making themselves available for the match in particular Sunil Narine, Samuel Badree, Lendl Simmons and Darren Bravo.”

Speculation was rife the game would have been abandoned regardless of venue, largely because of the involvement of exiled left-hander Bravo.

Media reports last weekend said CWI was upset over the 28-year-old’s inclusion since he was barred from national and international selection after being sent home ahead of last November’s Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe for labelling CWI president Dave Cameron “a big idiot”, on the social networking service Twitter.

CWI has demanded Bravo remove the offending tweet and tender an apology, neither of which he has done.

Prior to the game being cancelled, the TTCB said it had been trying earnestly to guarantee Bravo’s involvement.

“[While] the issue between Bravo and the Cricket West Indies remains unresolved the TTCB was making every effort to have Bravo participate in this game in an effort to help ease his return back into first class cricket,” the national board said.

It was unclear if West Indies would pursue other warm-up fixtures with the opening One-Day International against powerhouses India bowling off at Queen’s Park Oval here Friday.

Source: (CMC)

8 Responses to Cloud over abandoned match

  1. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn June 20, 2017 at 8:52 am

    What the government of the Caribbean should do Tell Dave Cameron .if Bravo is not playing no cricket can’t play in my country.

    Reply
  2. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn June 20, 2017 at 8:54 am

    It wants back some strong leaders in the Caribbean. To show this idiot who is boss.

    Reply
  3. Greengiant June 20, 2017 at 9:15 am

    How can T T C B expect to include Bravo in the team to play against the governing body who suspended him? The reason of their efforts to ease him back into first class cricket is a silly and self serving as any. T T C B should be telling Bravo to ” man up, take down the tweet, and apologize. Get your career back on track “.

    Yet again we see that these players who wants the support of the people in the region, is all about themselves and their egos.

    Reply
  4. Donild Trimp June 20, 2017 at 4:42 pm

    @Greengiant – Give me your best answer here.

    Let’s say you were driving your car and you ran a red light, a policeman stops you and gives you a ticket for the infraction.

    The fine can be from $120 to $2500.

    Would you be satisfied if the policeman demanded you pay $2500 immediately?

    Kindly respond.

    Reply
  5. Greengiant June 20, 2017 at 7:09 pm

    It’s an obvious answer mate. No. So what’s your point? I hope you can also respond. @ Donild Trimp

    Reply
  6. Donild Trimp June 20, 2017 at 8:38 pm

    @Greengiant – I see you did not get it so obviously you are mixing up two completely different issues and missing the point completely.

    Here is what all the confusion is about.

    Darren Bravo, according to Cameron was out of order with his tweet (granted) and therefore subject disciplinary action.

    The WICB (now CWI) however, put in place a set of rules and regulations that outlines the procedure its administrators must follow before any punishment can be meted out for a disciplinary infraction.

    Without going into a long drawn out explanation here, no administrator, not even the CEO or the President of the organization (just like the with the policeman above) can bypass those rules and regulations and arbitrarily impose a punishment on the alleged offender.

    Mr.Cameron did not follow his own organizations’s rules and regulations in dealing with the Darren Bravo matter. It is the same scenario with the Policeman.

    That is all there is to this simplistic matter.

    As you may have noticed in Mr.Cameron’s most recent interview, he is now prepared to refer the matter to the disciplinary committee, which he should have done in the first place but is a little too late now to avoid damages.

    Modern day managers use rational thought, logic and common sense in the decision making process and they follow their own rules and regulations.

    I hope this give you some understanding of what the big picture is.

    Reply
    • Logician June 20, 2017 at 11:31 pm

      Brilliant explanation.

      However, many of us have no confidence that the parties can resolve this on their own though. I’m suggesting arbitration for this matter and that it (resolution by arbitration) should also become a clause in CWI/player contracts, for these situations where regular suasion fails.

      Reply
  7. Donild Trimp June 22, 2017 at 10:47 am

    @Logician – Totally agree with you.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *