Help me, please!

‘I suffering real bad’, cries elderly resident of St Michael North East

Ordene Forde cries herself to sleep at night when she thinks of her dire misfortune.

The elderly woman, who resides at Bibby’s Layne, St Michael, is currently living in a rat-infested, semi-dilapidated wooden home, with the ceiling to her roof almost non-existent.

Barbados TODAY stumbled upon Forde’s home Tuesday while traversing the area and was confronted with her dire circumstances.

Forde, whose home cannot be seen from the main road, still tries her best to keep up its appearances, but the pink coat of paint that covers the exterior frame belies the serious problems that lie within the four corners of the senior’s home.

Forde’s ceiling at her Bibby’s Lane home is in tatters.

All that is really left of her roof is the galvanize cover now that wood ants and rats have made a meal of her interior wooden ceiling.

Forde showed the Barbados TODAY team rat droppings on her congolian floor, and pointed to her shaky wooden panels, which she declared an accident waiting to happen.

Describing her home as a place of “horror”, the pensioner said she was at her wits end as she told a painstaking story of rats and other rodents overrunning the house at night as she is made to cry herself to sleep in the hope that she would somehow awaken to a better and brighter tomorrow.

However, hers has been a recurring nightmare over the past four years, with her hope turning to despair and utter frustration, as no help has been forthcoming to date.

“Right now, I am living in a state of horror, the rats and other things coming in here at night and it got me fed up,” she said.

Forde (whose face is partially hidden) painfully begged for assistance with repairing her home, saying she could not continue to live amid the vermin and biting insects.

She said she had contacted the Rural Development Commission years before her elderly mother died back in 2013, but to this day her cries for help remain unanswered.

“I called down at Rural and Urban Commission and got the run around and nobody ain’t look at me. I am suffering real bad, my ceiling dropping down and rat droppings coming from it. Sometimes I don’t pay it any mind. I do not know who to call for help because no one is helping me,” she said with unmistakable pain in her voice.

Forde painfully begged for assistance with repairing her home, saying she could not continue to live amid the vermin and biting insects.

“I need help real bad. At night I does cry and pray for morning to come and say, ‘praise God’, because, before I can lay my head [at] night I does hear the rats running through the house. I really need this house repaired,” she emphasized.

Wood ants and rats have made a meal of Forde’s interior wooden ceiling.

When Barbados TODAY contacted the Rural Development Commission Tuesday evening, a woman who identified herself as the secretary to Director Randolph Outram said the state agency “would have to check to verify that Miss Forde is a client of their organization”.

The elderly woman, who voted for Opposition Leader Mia Mottley in the last election, also told Barbados TODAY that in view of her grim circumstances she was undecided about what she would do in the upcoming election.

“I had previously voted for Mia Mottley, but right now I don’t know as I am living in a state of horror,” she said.

Source: (LG)

35 Responses to Help me, please!

1. Hamza Azul
    Hamza Azul June 13, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Where all the money you was working for when a tin of milk was 10c like my grandmother used to tell me

• Len White
      Len White June 13, 2017 at 11:59 pm

I trust that you never encounter hardship. Your statement is horribly insensitive.

• Anfaani Henry
      Anfaani Henry June 14, 2017 at 12:08 am

I hope she gets some help.

• Big Man June 14, 2017 at 12:52 am

All of what money you talking about when milk was 10c she was probably working for $30 dollars a week
      You think she could of save a million dollars

The lady is destitute, impoverished, poverty-stricken and needs help that is why she is painfully begging for assistance to repair her home
      I hope the Director of Rural Development Commission Mr.Randolph Outram can help her soon.

• Louise Annastasia Burton
      Louise Annastasia Burton June 14, 2017 at 3:49 am

What a ridiculous comment!

• straight talk June 14, 2017 at 5:31 am

Not a nice thing to say

• Rawle Spooner
      Rawle Spooner June 14, 2017 at 6:11 am

Are you trying to be a comedian because no one getting ya joke.

• Julia Robinson
      Julia Robinson June 14, 2017 at 6:24 am

Hamza, you’re a heartless ass.

2. Kevin June 13, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Why was it necessary to ask or print who the lady voted for? And who she planning to vote for.

3. Maryam pandor June 14, 2017 at 12:39 am

..family..friends..churchgoers..good for something youngsters? Please someone help this lady.

4. Rudy Griffith
    Rudy Griffith June 14, 2017 at 12:51 am

Hamza Azul, Life throws many curve balls and one can be the victim of circumstances. Your statement was not appropiate and showed a lack of compassion.
    You don’t know what happened in her life that put her in this situation .

• VoR June 14, 2017 at 2:05 am

That is so true. Persons can have some horrible setbacks in their life.

We can make the best plans for a better future and have them all come to nought.

• wayne June 14, 2017 at 10:00 am

sooooooo true!! I hope she gets the help she needs…Sad!

5. The Negrocrat June 14, 2017 at 12:52 am

Would a cat or two not help with the rat situation?

• VoR June 14, 2017 at 2:02 am

Oh gosh. This situation isn’t funny but this comment made me laugh.

I guess a cat would help until her living situation is improved.

6. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince June 14, 2017 at 3:00 am

Wth….does she have children ?

7. Serena Phillips
    Serena Phillips June 14, 2017 at 4:15 am

Just because you read an article you comment such an insensitive remark really goes to show what you are certainly not human

8. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor June 14, 2017 at 5:15 am

Everysingle person have a right to comment…. Hope she gets help…..

9. jrsmith June 14, 2017 at 5:58 am

You all bajans isn’t going to like this , but bajans is the cause of all the nation’s problems, you all sit back allow barbados to be run into the ground by our crooked corrupt politicians by just casting a party vote and calmly thinking thats democracy , our crooks at the sea and air port, who help the importation of drugs and guns and anything criminal , which all of you know about these are the same people who claim to be godly , Christians bible whackers….
    **************************************************
    You cannot call people evil when you yourself is committing evil acts, contributing to your life style and hurting the nation………
    Its alright for 1% of our nation and our politicians live the high life day after day and (our old people who work they fingers to the bone ) and help us to where we are , living in condition seems to be worst than past/present slavery and people could make cat jokes…….
    ***************************************************
    Who pay the penalty the hardworking low paid bajans , who really pay taxes the low paid working bajans… paying for the politicians failure……………………… Bajans accept a government who has completely destroyed our country , 900 millions dollars cannot be accounted for because our politicians , dont need to make themselves accountable to anyone , an opposition party who seems to also accept the governments behaviour without challenging……

Suppose this same government wins the up coming election , what the hell is going to happen…………………………..

10. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner June 14, 2017 at 6:13 am

Feel bad for her hope she get’s some kinda help, but question does she have kids or family just curious to know.

11. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson June 14, 2017 at 6:25 am

Why should we care about the circumstances or children, it is our duty to help those in need period.

12. Maria June 14, 2017 at 7:28 am

Tell the politicians to try to help the old people in this Barbados and stop helping the ambled bodied ones go into Waterford housing area and in the same street there are two houses just built for two families that are working a two bedroom and a three bedroom go to the top of that gap and there is an old lady that they started hers she did not get toilet and bath they said they ran out of money now that they have money to build these two spanking houses why can’t they go back and give this old lady that necessity so she don’t have to go in the yard at night why do we hate to take care of our seniors

13. Nita Holligan June 14, 2017 at 8:12 am

I understand her plight, but we have to learn to help ourselves as well, don’t throw your hands up in the air and give up or wait for someone to feel sorry for you. The thought that you voted for a person does not mean that they have to support you every need. An elected official is there to represent the interest of Barbados and its population…….our communities will need to do more for each other…if a ceiling can be fixed and the skill in the community is available then others can help to supply the material that is needed. No offense to anyone and I hope this lady and others in similar condition get assistance.

14. Biscuits June 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

My heart goes out to all who suffer in silence. In lieu of family, sometimes a helping hand from neighbours or the community would suffice until a more permanent solution is found. There are still a few areas where folks bandy together and help to look after their ‘own’ in some way.
    With an aging population, some of whom may not be in a position to help themselves, maybe a new geriatric hospital or additional facilities to support the present one, would be welcomed.
    The Pension cheques, however big or small, of these elderly persons, could go directly to the hospital to help with their upkeep.

15. Jea Alleyne June 14, 2017 at 10:11 am

I really dont get this system….Taxes are supposed to go back into the “environment” to improve situations. Can someone tell me why Senior citizens are living in unhealthy conditions when we have a social system to help those who cant help themselves.

Is it too much to house this lady elsewhere, there are thousands of tiny houses built by Government, surely she could have one !! Or does she have to prove who she is going to vote for first. I shake my head, I cant believe this is the 21st century…..

• Wake the hell up Bajans June 14, 2017 at 11:13 am

You all Bajans becoming a bunch of incompetent , lazy member of society. The lack of common sense in response to this article shows how ignorant some of the Bajan ppl becoming. Explains why the foreigners, the drug lords, and everybody running ramped in Barbados and doing as them like. Gain some common sense, education, drop the ignorance and challenge government to be held responsibile for the ppl by which they were elected to represent instead of government
      Own self interest and riches.

16. Milli Watt June 14, 2017 at 11:34 am

I count 20 replies at 500.00 a reply her problem solved at 10,000.00…….stop all de long talk boys and girls put up or shut up btw mottley ain’t got no solution to this mess all ah we contribute so go in the till and spend de ole cash wunnuh got on de bank doing nuttin @ 0.25%

17. Belfast June 14, 2017 at 11:47 am

Forde, whose home cannot be seen from the main road…………..

Stumble upon ,my eye. The following quote was the aim of the whole exercise.

18. Lawrence Shepherd June 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm

PLAIN AND SIMPLE ,THIS LADY NEEDS HELP. All of the negative should be discarded.We got to learn to have a heart.Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it is..I truly hope she gets the assistance that is NEEDED.

19. Leroy June 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Who are the constituency council members?

Can any one in the forum who knows where this lady lives inform the council and have them take the case to Urban Dev and welfare?
    Isnt that a function of the council?

20. jm June 14, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I’m coming down in either Aug or July of this year.I’ll check with this news media to find out how reach this woman and try my best to help her as much as I can.

21. Alex Alleyne June 14, 2017 at 2:54 pm

A CAUCASIAN was in the news not so long ago with housing problems and quick so , matters were fixed.
    I will be counting the days, months, years it is going to take to bring some relief to this “POOR BLACK LADY’.

22. bobby_V June 14, 2017 at 4:44 pm

This lady deserves ALL the help she needs. However, the question of children is very relevant. When the house is repaired, and she happens to pass away ‘in the future’. Guess who will shamelessly come out of the woodwork for the same house???

23. Walter June 14, 2017 at 8:29 pm

When a tin of milk was 10cent and a person was making $30 per week that person wasn’t doing bad. In 1969 I started to work for $80 per month and milk was a lot more than 10cents.

24. Vex June 14, 2017 at 11:14 pm

That’s a damn shame how the seniors in barbados are being treated nobody should be living in that dilapadated condition,where is the politician who is supposed to be representing that neighborhood and looking out for the seniors please do something for that lady