Another DLP fiasco

So Prime Minister Freundel Stuart is at a loss over the uproar triggered by Government’s decision to purchase a spanking new top-of-the-line Mercedes-Benz for his use in these tough economic times? As he put it to reporters earlier this week when questioned on the matter, “I don’t know what the fuss is about”.

If ever there was a statement that conveyed the image of a prime minister disconnected from the reality of the very people he supposedly leads, it certainly would have to be this one. It shouldn’t be surprising, therefore, that Mr Stuart has difficulty understanding what’s the fuss about. The reason, however, is pretty clear and simple.

It relates specifically to quite a few inconsistencies and contradictions between what the incumbent Democratic Labour Party (DLP) regime has been telling Barbadians they have to do and what the Government, on the other hand, is actually doing. The inconsistencies and contradictions are quite apparent to the average Barbadian, whose characteristic docility should not be mistaken for stupidity.

Barbadians can clearly see, in this particular instance, what appears to be a case of one rule for them and another for the political class. To justify the last four years of harrowing austerity, the Stuart government has repeatedly suggested to Barbadians that they have been living beyond their means and sacrifices through belt-tightening were necessary in the national interest. Such thinking clearly informed the proposals in the 2017 Budget which last week imposed what is arguably the largest tax take in living memory.

When the full impact of these new measures hits home in another month, the struggle by the average Barbadian to make ends meet will become a lot harder as less disposable income will now be available. Buying food, for example, to enjoy a decent meal will become an even bigger challenge for many especially the poor and elderly. It is already a sad spectacle in supermarkets to witness some Barbadians having to leave items at the check-out counter because their meagre budgets cannot stretch any further. With the hefty tax impositions announced in the Budget, more will have to do so unless some good Samaritan comes to their rescue and pays the difference.

The painful truth is that it is not the average Barbadian who has placed the country in the current economic mess. It is poor management at the policy-making level by politicians. Yet it seems to the average Barbadian that while what amounts to incompetence in some cases is rewarded with handsome salaries followed by generous pensions on retirement, they are always the ones called upon to pay the heavy price of these costly mistakes by politicians.

If the DLP is telling Barbadians they must tighten their belts, then prudence dictates that DLP politicians should be leading by example. But, as the Budget clearly demonstrated, what we have essentially is a tax-and-spend government which has a seemingly voracious appetite for extracting the last tax dollar from citizens instead of engaging in belt-tightening through trimming expenditure. It is therefore understandable why Barbadians would be upset about Stuart’s new ride delivered, ironically, days after more fiscal brutality was inflicted on their backs.

The decision to purchase the vehicle at this time not only reflected poor timing but also conveyed a lack of sensitivity. It reinforced a picture of sharp contrasts in which the population faces the prospect of further pauperization by a supposedly broke government which chooses, nevertheless, a vehicle that is a symbol of opulence and luxury for the prime minister. Stuart’s feeble explanation was that it was a government decision, not his.

But you know what? Stuart certainly did not have to go along with the decision. At least he could have asked for the purchase to be put on hold given the country’s circumstances. Were Errol Barrow the prime minister of Barbados today, he would have done exactly that in a demonstration of solidarity with the suffering of Barbadians. Though he was a patrician or aristocrat in the Barbadian social context, Barrow did not care about having such trappings of luxury and opulence at his disposal in public office.

Indeed, Barbadians who are old enough will easily recall that when Barrow  began his second coming as prime minister after the 1986 general election, he contemptuously turned his back on the green Mercedes used by his predecessors and settled instead for a lowly Toyota Crown. Though members of the same DLP, it seems, from a philosophical standpoint, that Stuart is definitely not cut from the same political cloth as Barrow.

But there is an even greater underlying reason why Barbadians are upset with Stuart over the new Mercedes. And it goes way beyond the fact that he has admitted receiving not one but two new official vehicles for his use in a matter of months — the other being the SUV M50. Marketed by the DLP as the most authentic working class prime minister Barbados has had, most Barbadians with the same socio-economic background generally thought that Stuart would have demonstrated more compassion and understanding of their plight.

The verdict, sadly, is that he has let them down. After assuring Barbadians that there would be no change in policy, Stuart still presided over the dismantling of free education introduced by Errol Barrow and Cameron Tudor to allow the sons and daughters of the working class to attend university. Stuart also went along with the controversial restoration of the 10 per cent pay cut for the political class in an economic environment where most Barbadians have not had a decent pay increase in almost 10 years.

Politics is largely about perception and success at the leadership level hinges heavily on the effective management of perception which has been repeatedly lacking or weak in Stuart’s case. Whoever is advising him — if there is indeed such a person — is clearly a novice given the many blunders.

Stuart did not have to find himself in a pickle over changing MP2. As he explained to reporters, the vehicle was giving problems and maintenance costs were high and rising. However, such happens when a government comes across as indifferent, insensitive and does not understand that at the heart of politics is a permanent battle of communication to win over hearts and minds.

Instead of ending up as another DLP public relations fiasco, replacing MP2 without controversy was entirely possible but it would have required what I will describe as careful preparation of the wicket beforehand. The skillful execution of such would be through specific strategic communication interventions where a compelling case would have been presented that delivered public consent.

This latest gaffe, coming on the heels of last week’s punishing budget, the restoration of the 10 per cent, and the millions spent on the 50th Independence anniversary celebrations, is just another self-driven nail in the political coffin of the DLP, months before a general election.

In their arrogance and contempt for the intelligence of the average Barbadian, the Dems somehow believe that morality is their sure passport to a third term. But here are some questions. Will morality provide Barbadians with jobs, pay their mortgages or children’s university fees, or lower the cost of living which was the DLP’s no.1, no.2 and no.3 job back in 2008?

If morality was indeed the solution to all of our problems, I would not dispute that the Dems are worthy of re-election. That, however, is not the case. The silence of Barbadians does not mean acquiescence; Barbadians are simply waiting patiently for the election bell to ring so that they can perform the last rites on the DLP in the ballot box and lay its tortured soul to rest without the hope of a political resurrection any time soon.

(Reudon Eversley is a Carleton University-trained political strategist, strategic communication specialist and longstanding journalist.
Email: reudon@gmx.com)

105 Responses to Another DLP fiasco

1. Santini More
    Santini More June 10, 2017 at 11:37 am

Perfectly written.

2. Dave Holder
    Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 11:55 am

what got me is that the car belong to the govt of barbados not the pm personally. but let me sip this tea and keep it moving.

• Doreen Waithe
      Doreen Waithe June 10, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Lol I like that one

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith June 10, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Dave I don’t think that is the problem here,the problem is the timing of purchasing the car,you meaning you going to come out and put Bajans in a stranglehold,with the most devastating budget,where persons are already feeling the pressure,and the next day you as PM bringing out a $350,000 car with no remorse for the public and behind it saying you don’t know what the fuss is about.
      That is taxpayers money though,they have the right to question the timing and cost of the purchase.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 12:39 pm

If he did it next month would the impact be any different? I am not here to defend the government, the budget nor the “stranglehold”. He answered the concern and to me I feel its one more thing to jump on. The budget sucks. Yes. It has for a while. Yes. What you have to do now is to think outside the box and find creative ways as a nation and community to make your resources work for you, manage to suite. Personally I think bajans can grow there own food, veggies, and hold off of some of the partying and $5K crop-over outfits. Alot of you need to go outside Bim and see life and how other people living and then come back home and re-assess and learn.

• J Harold Chapman June 11, 2017 at 6:53 am

You are very right David . Should our leader drive a car that is alwas breaking down. How wouldit look that dignateries come to Barbados and drive in a 11 year old car? Thjat is not a problem. We need to accept thereality that the size of governmentis too big and if the innocent people workingin government , someof them are to keep their jobs then this may have to happen. Also the people that owe nearly $1 billian in taxes in totsl need to pay up, who can , I know some of them can

• john H Chapman June 11, 2017 at 6:54 am

• hcalndre June 11, 2017 at 8:38 am

Dave Holder tell the people how the people are living outside and what it has to with the people in Barbados. When you say outside, outside where? The vehicles that these people get should only be used to do the people`s work and nothing else so they have all right to say something. Bajans like using the words that its the government money, where do the government work to get the money?

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Its a sad situation. What are you going to do about it. If the tea hot blow on it and sip slowly. Re-evaluate and make a plan. My gran tell me boy if you making a dollar live on 80cents. When you make $2 live on 85cents. Live on less and trust no one. Keep your money close and dont try to live outside your means. I get it. Some are back against the wall and I empathize. I truly do but with the millions and billions in debt. $350K on a car for the Barbados government maybe lavish to some. I get it. When he out of power and the next person up will we have this same convo when the car change hands. Don’t single out one man. Single out the whole government and there decisions.

• hcalndre June 11, 2017 at 8:45 am

Dave, why should the next PM used the vehicle that the outgoing PM had? is it Air Force One that is provided for the Presidents of the US?

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:09 pm

I not going to sit here and trade insults. That is petty and some seem to think that is what social media is for. I can assure you if we all came together and made a conscious effort to boycott spending there is no way to collect taxes when you dont spend money. You cant stop it all together but you can slow down spending. But when people always looking over the shoulder of the giant trying to see further than the giant you will never be satisfied and keeping up with trends = spends. But no one want cut them face and spoil them features.

• Maureen Fields
      Maureen Fields June 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Dave Holder, I’m getting D impression from what you typewrite…( Don’t think you’re speaking to the Indo nor caucasian) that we Negros should go backwards to accommodate those in brackets above, the PM + his bandits.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Dave, you are wrong on every count.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I visit home last year and modestly roll through the island and what I saw encourage me. I seen so much entrepreneurs people thinking outside the box to supplement incomes. So much outside the box thinking it made me proud in spite of the economic situation. Barbados will rise again. Bajans smart. Just the motivation has to be there.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I would explain if you are wiling to hold an objective mindset.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:17 pm

See what I mean about social media and insults. That is hurt talking not logic. Skin colour you focus on. You feel skin colour going make your argument stronger. Show me how much more petty you can become. I will continue to sip.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:21 pm

This is a dialogue. Everyone have an opinion Willz RD. I am open to share in the thought process. I not here to be insulting and condescending. The problem is there is no confidence that we will be able to resolve the debt. Like when bajans take out big debt from lenders like courts in December and by March in trouble to watch face. Wunna can’t trick me, no needles and pins with me.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:26 pm

You have missed the fundamental point of the budget. The auditor general reported over 900 million dollars given away by the DLP in loans to various private entities…..to this date no money has been repaid……..The DLP is asking for 537 million to plug a deficit when over 900 million was paid out in unenforced loans, some as low as 2% interest on payback. I have the AG report here if you want. So i feel really insulted when you tell me and others to cut back etc.

Why should i be forced to cut back drastically when the reason i am asked to pay additional taxes is due to the DLP giving way my money?

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:35 pm

He is not even from Barbados, Maureen Fields?

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:35 pm

He is not even from Barbados, Maureen Fields?

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Was the money loaned to business Willz RD ? Maureen Fields If you dont want to pay taxes on supplemental income you need to know how you will get that work out. You seem to want cash. Nothing wrong with that. ALL Small business should pay tax what is your point.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD June 10, 2017 at 1:39 pm

The money was given to businesses. And don’t tell me it helped these businesses provide work because if these loans made them more profitable…..then they could pay back. If they were profitable, then our economy would have been way better.

So where did 900 million get spent ? Where?

• Deva-Alexandra DeBeauvois
      Deva-Alexandra DeBeauvois June 10, 2017 at 1:46 pm

There are no creative thinkers in this current government. Secondly, people choose how they want to enjoy themselves and relief stress.some go overseas on a vacation., Some go the Whorehouse ,some the rum shop , some jump for kadooment then others do all of the above.

• Maureen Fields
      Maureen Fields June 10, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I don’t want to respond to Dave Holder anymore, now that I realize that he lives overseas…therefore, he is systemize…to me, he won’t have no empathy for the Bajans who are suffering under Strout’s regime.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 1:58 pm

90% of small businesses fail within the first years. Some dont make it to a years. Alot of risk is involve in this and they are no guarantees. I aint mad at you feeling a ways that the money should not have to come out of your pocket. The gov’t leverage time in the equation and seems to be failing. An Andex chart show over time things level out. Things are not going to level out in a hurry. Believe that. There is alot of careless spending I 1000% agree. I not disputing that no matter how you insult me. I know I check myself long time and wise up to this system and the divide start. The conquer next. The elimination of some of the middle class. There is the Wealthy, Upper Middle Class, Middle Class and Lower Middle Class, then there is the Poor.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Everyone in the Middle is going to feel it. The Poor already been feeling it, nothing new and the Wealthy trying not to drop status. Its a dog fight and I dont think there is foresight other than taxing to help the situation. I agree with alot of your points on irresponsible spending. I am not going to insult a fella. That dont add value to my life or my paper. Collectively I believe we will get out of the mess. I do.

• Dave Holder
      Dave Holder June 10, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Deva-Alexandra DeBeauvois I here you. Mental resilience is definitely important. I I guess take cheaper vacations. drink cheaper rum and find cheaper whorehouses ? I know its a sensitive topic and I think everyone want someone to jump on. I see them jumping on me already so if it make you feel better your welcome.

3. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd June 10, 2017 at 11:57 am

THE FROON WAS AT A LOST FOR THE WHOLE 9YRS WHOLE 9YDS YARDS

• Elle Tee
      Elle Tee June 10, 2017 at 12:09 pm
    • Advent Divers
      Advent Divers June 10, 2017 at 3:39 pm

It bothers me,, when some of us , who can barely spell our names,, look at highly educated,,,well structured individuals,, and call them derogatory names.,,so tell me Lilian,If the P.M is a Froon as you stated,what would you call a name calling, insulting ,individual who at 26 years old, has seven illegitimate children,,

• Lilian Lloyd
      Lilian Lloyd June 10, 2017 at 3:56 pm

ADVENT DIVERS THANKS SOOOO MUCH FOR READIND MY COMMENTS BYE THE WAY I SPELL YOUR NAME RIGHT

• Lilian Lloyd
      Lilian Lloyd June 10, 2017 at 3:59 pm

ADVENT FRUNDEL FUMBLE FROON GET USED TO THAT HOPE IT BOTHER YOU AGAIN

4. Sonia Romain
    Sonia Romain June 10, 2017 at 11:58 am

They should’ve think about the well-being of the people of Barbados first ( if for just once ) and ordered more transport board busses instead of an expensive vehicle…

• Wayne June 12, 2017 at 11:03 am

The buses that’s on the road are always empty.

5. Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose June 10, 2017 at 11:59 am

Stupeeeees.

6. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor June 10, 2017 at 12:03 pm

This is a good article accurate and right on point !

7. Macmood Tata
    Macmood Tata June 10, 2017 at 12:04 pm

F WHA FUMBLE SAY BOUT D OLD CAR DAT IT BREKKING DOWN ALL OVER D PLACE, DEN F I WAS SIMPSON MOTORS I WOULD FEEL BAD DAT HE GEEING ME BAD ADVERTISING, TO GOT A BIG ABLE BENZ DAT ONLY 9 YEARS OLD N IT ENT WORKING, DEN DAT WOULD NOT ENCOURAGE ME TO GO N BUY 1. LIKE F I COULD AFFORD 1 WID DES DEMS. ALSO F HE SAY DAT IT HATTA GET CHANGE B CAUSE IT OLD N BREKKING DOWN WELL HE TUH. SO WE CHANGING HE TO MIA N D BLP

8. Icil Phillips
    Icil Phillips June 10, 2017 at 12:14 pm

fodder for the opposition and the kaisonians……

9. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry June 10, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Elections please

• Advent Divers
      Advent Divers June 10, 2017 at 3:32 pm

The opposition still have another ?????? Years as opposition…that is ,,if they dont throw in the towel,,,they are going to get a message sent to them that they didnt openly expect,,,,,lies ,,deceit,,,undermining,or badmouthing,,are not traits that one should display ,when you put yourself up for public office

• Anfaani Henry
      Anfaani Henry June 10, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Advent Divers elections please

10. Tedford Grimes
    Tedford Grimes June 10, 2017 at 12:43 pm

It’s not the opposition it’s we the people you nut

11. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt June 10, 2017 at 12:45 pm

9 years ago you all was complaining about BLP. Now DLP. Time for a new party. Just my opinion.

12. Samantha Sealy
    Samantha Sealy June 10, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I tell wunna already but wunna won’t listen…. he ain’t care nutten bout wunna! Wunna deaf!?!

13. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe June 10, 2017 at 1:10 pm

The worse Government by far that ever run this country

14. Fitz Dee
    Fitz Dee June 10, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Let me have a say on this. To my mind it is a load of crap. The car used by the PM is a state car. My concern is not about the car driven but the job done. He cannot take it home. Let me ask a question. Which one of you would suggest that Ms. Mottley sells it if she becomes PM. I used to used the Station Hill Road when Errol Walton Barrow said if he wins the election he wants all of those BLP cared used non-essentially delivered to District A. You should have seen the number of cars that driven by all and Sundry at the people’s expense. It is a sad non-issue

15. Joan Worrell June 10, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Can’t take these people seriously at all in Barbados. They write one thing today and hope that you forget what they wrote a year later. The author should be attacking both DLP and BLP for the gaffes over the past two weeks. Has he forgotten Mia’s response to the budget speech and Marsha Caddle’s pit-toilet comment in Hall’s Road, South Central. Is this a different BLP from the one which Carson Cadogan said, meant you harm? Is the purchase of the car more scandalous than your buddy’s (David Thompson”) CLICO scandal? Man, guh way . Nuhbody wants to hear from you. I am calling on the young people to get to the polls early on election morning and vote for anybody apart from BLP and DLP candidates. Let’s get a hung parliament like the one in Britain. I also hope that Owen has his ears to the ground and would change his mind about retirement. Word on the street is that the BEEES are planning to switch Santhia who won by 20 votes , from the Pine to the St. Peter safe seat if he retires.

16. Barry Jordan
    Barry Jordan June 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Unbelievable indifference. I guess on one hand there people who are born to lead and on the other, people who just thrive as a result of leading. So sad…

17. The Rock June 10, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Joan hush yuh mouth doo. Stupid woman. Stupse

18. Advent Divers
    Advent Divers June 10, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Ok Dems,,,Don’t be distracted by these small minded opportunistic red devils…. stay focused;;;When they go low,,we continue to raise the political bar

19. Marilyn C Fields
    Marilyn C Fields June 10, 2017 at 1:57 pm

All I’m hoping is that he pass by the bus stop where I have to catch the bus ..so that I could bum a lift from him…

20. Catherine Jones
    Catherine Jones June 10, 2017 at 2:02 pm

What next

21. Wayne P Hoyte
    Wayne P Hoyte June 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm

In these tough times bajans still buying cars, houses, alcohol, cigarettes, flights, costumes etc……peopje dont stop luving…..the long and short of these things is to know your own reality.

• Cheryl Onita
      Cheryl Onita June 10, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Not all Bajans so don’t paint everyone with the same brush

22. Lorenzo June 10, 2017 at 2:14 pm

The Rock, Joan Worrell gone past stupid she is a brain dead Dem.I was wondering when she would voice an opinion on this new vehicle topic.She was probably waiting to see the reaction and then come with some frivolous reason to justify the purchase.These Dems have no conscience,cares nothing about peoples suffering it is all about party survival.There is no justification anyone can bring to me for such a purchase at this time.If this was an article on Ms Mottley these Dems like Joan Worrell ,Ricci Khan,Ras,Saga Boy,Sticks and Stones ,Zeua ,CCC,Coralita,GreenGiant and Sherlock holmes would be all over thi blog condemning her.This is their modus operandi.

23. joan Worrell June 10, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Lorenza

By now the whole world knows that our disagreement has nothing to do with politics. I hate same sex relationships and you love them. Go your dirty way and leff out me. By the way here is the Gospel according to St. Reudon which you can get someone to read for you as you come across as being illiterate .

EVIL AS HELL THE LOT OF THEM

Reudon Eversley

The full story of how I was treated by the Barbados Labour Party has not been told but I will do so one day and Barbadians will see what an authoritarian government we had. How we were on the brink of dictatorship because when the press is attacked and bullied into submission, freedom is always in danger.

Some ill-informed Barbadians said I was too big for my boots when I reported Owen Arthur to the World Press Freedom Committee. If you do not stand up for yourself, no one else will. If they only knew what was happening to me, they would have been in full agreement. The media in Barbados were afraid of carrying the story. They apparently did not want to experience the wrath of the BLP.

Let me say that the then CEO of the Advocate Mr Metzgen was a decent man who recognized what was going on and tried to defend me. I cannot say the same for certain members of the then Board who seemed more eager to please the BLP than to defend their employee – see supporting documents submitted by Reudon Eversley.

Why would I want to eat from the BLP ? Their yardfowls used to leave the most foul messages on my voicemail, telling me they are going to get my … you know what .. out of the Advocate because I am a Dem. They could have easily poisoned me had I eaten their food and I certainly was not going to expose myself to that risk. I have my children to live for.

The BLP wanted someone else to be editor of the Advocate. I never asked why the person in question did not get the job. I knew I was chosen on the basis of my professional track record, qualifications and vision. Systems Caribbean Ltd., after interviewing a short list, recommended me for the job. And, let me say this, without blowing my trumpet, the Advocate made a dramatic turn-around under my leadership. The record is there.

I have a copy of a letter which Owen Arthur personally wrote to my chairman. I have kept it so that my grandchildren one day will see how this man tried to take bread out of my mouth. And I had done nothing wrong. He called my office one morning hopping mad. I told him I had just come in for the day and had neither pen nor paper in my hand to take notes of what he was saying. His letter, claiming I was disrespectful, said I told him I was taking no note of what he had to say. Different meaning!

When all the crap was happening, I spoke to a certain well-connected BLP person and he told me they would have a problem with me because David Thompson is my friend. Imagine that? In fact, he even went as far as to tell me that I was on the phone in my office talking to David Thompson two days before, which was true. Talking to David Thompson was obviously a sin in the BLP’s books. Now, the person could have only found out this information from two sources: either the BLP had someone in the Advocate’s newsroom who was spying on me and reporting back to them or they had my telephone bugged.

I will have more to say later and it will make uncomfortable reading or listening for Owen Arthur. I will relate an experience which convinced me beyond the shadow of a doubt that Barbadians had made a grave mistake in choosing Arthur as their leader. He should know what I am talking about if he remembers a certain phone call he made to the Advocate one day.

The BLP is now demanding the justice they denied others. But they are getting a good deal. A well-known BLP person was recently appointed to a senior post at a statutory corporation which the BLP had refused to give that person. That would have never happened with a Dem under a BLP government. But I will say this: David Thompson is a gentleman – has always been. He has treated them all with decency and fairness which they did not show to Dems when they were in power.

My respect for David Thompson grew immensely during this period. You know why? He showed me his human side. He would call me quite regularly – not to discuss politics – but to enquire how I was doing. That meant a lot to me because you know who your real friends are, not when you are up, but when you are perceived as being down. This is the quality person who today is the prime minister of Barbados. It gave me great pleasure to work for him in the DLP election campaign in January as Communications Director and to have played a role in rescuing Barbados from the clutches of the BLP.

Further, I knew the God I serve would not have allowed it. God is good! God is great! I thank my greatgrandmother for my Christian upbringing. During those dark BLP days, it served me in good stead. It gave me the assurance that with patience this too would have passed, that the BLP would not be in power forever and that they would eventually fall in humiliation. Secondly, my Christian upbringing assured me of my ability to survive once I believed it was possible. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

I expect certain BLPites on this blog will respond in their usual nasty way by going into the gutter because they can never face the truth. The truth always hurts. Going down in the gutter is not for me. The gutter is home to centipedes, slugs, cockroaches and other types of vermin and I am not at their level. Others however are free to make that choice through their behaviour.

24. Lorenzo June 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Joan Worrell my disagreement with you is political because you do not know squat about me yardfowl so you could call me me what you like does not faze me .I called you out ass a DLP ass licker and asi told you any time I see you on here defending foolishness I will come after you,believe that.As far as Mr Eversley is concern all it shows is that unlike you he has left your party and is calling it as he now sees it which shows some common sense unlike you.

25. F.A. Rudder June 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I f the purchase of a new vehicle with green technology would be more economical for the chief public servant on the island whom ever s party it may be then it an act in good faith! We as a nation have to maintain good economic practices and principals least not fall behind in technology for today!

26. Philip Irie Clement
    Philip Irie Clement June 10, 2017 at 3:03 pm

One comment stated , don’t be distracted by these small minded opportunistic Red Devils.. Stay focus.. What a dumb response ,, but then again you are so misguided, brain washed and out of focus to see its not about a “party” it’s about the survival of its people

27. Lola De Palma
    Lola De Palma June 10, 2017 at 3:04 pm

It’s a car the Bajan ppl money paid for, not his personal money. He doesn’t care, never did.

28. Miguel Griffith
    Miguel Griffith June 10, 2017 at 3:04 pm

How many articles is this media house planning to do on this topic. Stupse

29. Sunshine Sunny Shine June 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm

You jack azz. What the man wrote is the basically the same sentiments that bajans, except for you and the other DLP lapdog jackazzes, are uttering also. Stupid pooch licking DLP rat. Stuuuuuupse

30. Menace II Babylon June 10, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Damn they stopped my comment…. as usual

BBtoday allow me nah….

Wha wanna ah deal with….

Pretty Please!

31. Menace II Babylon June 10, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Bajans suffer from that dreaded disease. It is highly contagious and carries a certain pathogen that proves it is not air or blood transmitted. It spreads only amongst the black population and was proven to have a proven link to genetics and is hereditary. It only relates to when your grand parents/parents are aligned to particular political parties where automatically you fall in line. It is even worse when speaking about unjustness or dare to mention slavery in relation to your ancestors who were lynched repeatedly on many a tree and not a cross.

Fortunately the only known cure is a blistering slap in public, the shame seems to have astounding effects.

32. Dan Louis
    Dan Louis June 10, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Where is Tom Adams when you need him??

• Katrina Sealy
      Katrina Sealy June 10, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Longggggg gone and rolling in his grave with Mr. Skipper

33. joan Worrell June 10, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Lorenza

There is no difference between you and a black belly sheep tied to a stake on a pasture.

Once again I beg you, get someone to read the above post and tell me what you think of the author’s criticisms of your Beloved Labour Party. Here are the sections I want you to listen for since you can’t read.

(1)The long dark night of the BLP has come to an end. May Barbados never see the likes of it again. By the way, I want to encourage other Barbadians who were similarly targetted by the BLP because they were Dems or were otherwise affiliated, to tell their story. Barbadians must get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It must no longer be kept under the carpet. So Mia Mottley is calling for justice for BLP supporters. Why didn’t she call for justice for me, when I was editor of the Advocate and was being persecuted almost on a daily basis by the BLP?

(2)How many Barbadians know, for example, that the BLP complained to the Advocate’s management because I refused to eat their food at a media luncheon to launch their 1999 general election campaign? As a result, I was threatened with dismissal. Well, I sought legal advice and was prepared to sue the Advocate for breach of my human rights so they backed off.

(3) After I was forced to leave the Advocate, I could not find work in Barbados. I had to go overseas to earn a living to feed my children. I applied for a job at a government institution for which I was perfectly suited. I was invited to an interview but I was warned it was just a sham. My source told me that a certain person said I would never work in Barbados as long as the BLP was in power. I called up the HR person at the organization in question, told him to withdraw my name and keep the job because I didn’t need it as I had a better one overseas. A BLP yardfowl even saw me at a public event overseas and remarked, in front of everyone present, that the BLP had made a “refugee”. Incredible but true.

(4)I have told half of the story. The best is yet to come. You do not have to like me personally but, on the basis of what I have shared with you: Wasn’t I denied justice by the BLP? I am a citizen of Barbados – certain foreigners were treated better than some Barbadians by the BLP – and the Constitution of Barbados gives me the right of freedom of association. By associating with the DLP, I broke no law but the BLP government targetted me.

(5)But you see, the BLP always believes they are entitled to special treatment. Other people, however, can be treated like doormats. I wish them well, personally, but may they remain in the political wilderness for a long, long time to reflect on the evil things they have done and to repent for their sins. Perhaps the BLP was hoping I would have buckled and come to them on bended knee, like how some persons did, to beg them for a pick. If they were, they would have waited in vain. I would have preferred to die with my dignity than to debase myself by doing such.

34. Mark My Word June 10, 2017 at 4:20 pm

This is the same man here writing this article that said those words
    Reudon “Turncoat””Grass Hopper” Eversley

Dementia – a chronic or persistent disorder of the mental processes caused by brain disease or injury and marked by memory disorders, personality changes, and impaired reasoning.
    synonyms: mental illness, madness, insanity, derangement, lunacy

35. Maaz A Love
    Maaz A Love June 10, 2017 at 4:25 pm

There was once the poor people party….

36. Katrina P Lewis
    Katrina P Lewis June 10, 2017 at 4:28 pm

What has me puzzled is how a nine year old car breaks down so much, Simpson motors is that car fake

37. Troy June 10, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Why de PM can’t drive a Toyota Laxio or a Swift Sports. If we have to tighten our belts don’t You think he should set an example and be the first to make those adjustments. He’s just out touch with reality. Real DoDo bird

38. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore June 10, 2017 at 5:11 pm

It stands to reason, therefore, that he’ll also be at a loss after he loses his parliamentary seat, & ultimately, the general election.

39. Mark Gill
    Mark Gill June 10, 2017 at 5:25 pm

If Blp win they will used the same car they not going to sell it and get a Toyota . The previous car the blp had ordered but they did not win back the election.

40. joan Worrell June 10, 2017 at 5:30 pm

No one can defend the indefensible. The cost of the car is prohibitive. However, at least we know where the the money came from and how it was spent. What puzzles me though, is that from the time we had Ministerial Government, Ministers enter politics driving cars that stall over the place before they are elected to Parliament and within a few months of their holding office, they own the most expensive cars, their wives or women and children drive big rides. Where does this money come from all of a sudden? It is time we stop this pendulum voting from BBB to DDD and back from DDDD to BBBB over and over again.. Let us vote for some candidates from other Parties even if we end up with a similar result to the one in Britain. Otherwise we will continue to hear from Opposition members, when Governments are changed, that the incumbent Government members are crooks and deserve to be locked up.

41. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce June 10, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Why wunna entertaining Freundel? The man is as useless as one cent. Out of Circulation.

42. Hugh Roberta Ferguson
    Hugh Roberta Ferguson June 10, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Yhe WEALTHEST Country in the WPORLDi s the USA…All the President ride in a Cadillac, built in the USA….1/3rd the price of the German car,…Check it out as Simpson Motors sells them……What has GERMANY ever done for Barbados…??? The US has given Barbados MILLIONS o& tremendous support ver the last 100 yrs.!!! The SHAME is compounded…

43. Carrington June 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm

The excuse given by the PM for the purchase of the new vehicle is that it was in the previous estimates. It is clear that the PM has forgotten that the rest of Barbados has being going through a period of austerity for 8 years while his government has reinstated their full salary and have traveled the world first class.

This government should have taken a lesson from the Italian government after the financial crisis – they sold all their high end government vehicles – not because it would make any financial difference to the economy but as a symbol made by the government that they are all in the same boat. Not in Barbados – never.

Our politicians are disconnected from the reality of s many Barbadians. The constitution should be changed so MPs must live in the constituency they represent.

44. Macmood Tata
    Macmood Tata June 10, 2017 at 6:45 pm

A dead Tom worth more Dan d entire dems

• Ras June 10, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Macmood your slip is showing you in an open relationship
      waiting to get your business legalized
      Have to tell the young Jockeys becarefull with you.

45. fedup June 10, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Since Dave Holder does not know the difference between ‘they’ and ‘there’ I shall be ignoring any comments he makes in the future.

46. Sandra basc June 10, 2017 at 8:31 pm

It is a well written article and points taken. We are at the point of strangling ourselves with the tightened belts and our politicians have no sympathy for our survival. Their solution is to put more hardship on us so they can enjoy a life of luxury.

The writing was on the wall when they reinstated THEIR 10% salary,

Election day will surely show if bajans indeed have short memories.

47. Greengiant June 10, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Reudon Eversley, when I was growing up my father who was much knowledgeable politically, and my uncle who was a leading politician gave me a full description of educated political opportunists. This was during the 1976 campaign when the slogan ‘ no more tricks in 76 ‘ was about.

I entered B C C in 1981 and met yourself and some now politically prominent Barbadians. During several pleasant encounters with yourself who was a college senior to me. I identified you as one with the potential to fill the role my uncle and father described for me earlier in 1976. You had the educational capacity, the desire for success, and the will to sell oneself to acquire that success.

Almost 36 years on and you have not disappointed me as I always expected you to achieve the status as ‘ an educated political opportunist ‘. Welcome my friend, you’ve made it to the top of the class.

You have also joined others, educated by the contributions of the masses in using your training to please political parties rather than serve the very people who paid your way. In you case I can only repeat the words of the rock group Queen, ” another one bites the dust “.

48. Orlando June 10, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Hey I’m not one to get to involve in politics, but we have the heads of this country that don’t have a clue, and their only solution is to tax tax tax and tax the citizen of this country, long gone are the days of getting anything to improve your living standards from the budget, I just sit and wait to see what next burden will this administration impose on barbadians. I think it is a shame where we are now and what we have accepted, and generally we are not patriotic people, we talk amongst our self and even when someone stands up we don’t support them and we give a negative response to that person. I will admit that like most households you grow up in homes that support one or the other party and this current party was guardians one and I always uses to think it would be so hard to vote for the other party, but each passing, year, day budget, with a government that is so out of touch with the average Barbarian, I’m fed up and can’t support this. While our dollar remains to hold it won on the international scene, the lower class citizens gets no value for his money with everything so high and continues to go up. We pay the most for gas in the region and it’s going up, pay the most on imports and that’s going up, food, cars, you name it, you name it. A burden society that is just getting pile on and pile on, their is no stimulus for growth, not from the government, they just weight down ah economy looking for sunlight and water for growth and they have no ideas. Under the every sector has had increases they pretty much left no stone unturned. Road tax went up, water rates, tuition across the board sjp, uwi and more, funding for schools have been cut have to fend for themselves, government fees have increased like town and country planning and others, you get Nothing now really from filing for taxes unless you have children and the one thing that worked the N.I.S they borrowed money from their and handicap the fund. So maybe I’m partly venting but yes in times like these you have to tighten your belt make cuts but can you say we are in a better position almost two terms in that we have to keep taking these massive hits as a society and I’m sure it will be much of the same given another term as they keep dumping on our economic environment. As an average bajan my dollar is devalued because my spending power is reduce and handcuffed by the policies of the administration. We have the power of vote but only with God’s help and change will things turn around because we are going down a dark dark hole.

49. Orlando June 10, 2017 at 8:51 pm

50. Rumboy June 10, 2017 at 9:16 pm

People like the Dems because of Prime Minister Barrow and free education so they vote Dems. With the Same sex Marriage thing in the air, it is hoped that the churches will rise up and condemn and the DLP will slip through.

51. Big Man June 10, 2017 at 9:56 pm

No same sex marriage in Barbados
    No Sodomites
    Keep in the closet where you belong

52. Big Man June 10, 2017 at 10:33 pm

The killer bees and BLP yard ducks like dem in sure Mama Mia gine drive bout in this first class Mercedes next year
    So dem stinging everybody

53. DE June 10, 2017 at 11:38 pm

The Prime Minister is so dumb and he adores in being dumb. You could imagine the car dealer advised his that he should only keep the car for three year and he proceed to purchase the Mercedes for $350.000 DF at the advise of the dealer. He has to be a Johnny Walker Whiskey Bottle. After hearing The Prime Minister talking about the numerous amount of problems that the previous car experience and the problems that the new could experience after three year, you really think he care about the country when he went ahead with that purchase. I wonder who is going to get the troublesome one.

54. sunshinecanada June 11, 2017 at 4:34 am

dave holder, go back to sleep, u songs like a badword

55. Andrew Simpson June 11, 2017 at 7:29 am

It appears to me that raw human nature can no longer be trusted.
    Whether B, C or D, N,U or Z, all seem to fall for the same reason. Selfish greed can be overcome by the spirit of love. Citizens must unite in having designed and developed a system of governance which empowers people, on a digital platform. A direct participatory democracy, with voters aware and engaged, ongoing, online, would more effectively and efficiently manage the various affairs of our island. A lesser number of highly qualified and experienced professionals, selected to fill economic, environmental and social sector posts, to operate under annual review would act in a transparent and accountable manner, with integrity, or else. How long will we rely on the Westminster system, flawed from the outset, by the tendency of empty promises, to lure votes from constituents, only to be governed by political partisanship for long uncontrollable spells?

56. Gate Keeper June 11, 2017 at 9:05 am

It is easy to see why things are the way they are in Barbados. Don’t blame the politicians, blame ourselves. We’re busy cussing each other and the man will still ride pass us in the car that we bought, and we’ll never get to sit in it. Go after the smart people who continually put us against each other for their benefit. BLP or DLP will not make a difference, as long as we remain divided.

57. Delia Rose June 11, 2017 at 10:04 am

This is a perfect example of the total disregard the ruling party has for the people of Barbados. Knowing that they no longer have as long as they had they raised their salaries, which increases their pensions, and the day after elections they will be lined up like rodents cashing in the pensions – thousands of dollars!!!. Then the head rodent sees nothing wrong with purchasing a $700,000 car. Seriously!!!! They should all do jail time. And ALL their bank accounts frozen and examined to find where the money went – and I mean their accounts, the wife’s and husband’s accounts, the children’s accounts, the outside man and woman’s accounts, the aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, half sister twice removed cousin, brother outside child – you get the picture. And the accounts held in other countries. They are criminals. And EVERY SINGLE person performing in the next election campaign, who wants access to the unlimited dollar bills for which there seems to be no accountability MUST declare their assets as soon as they put forward their names to represent the people of this island. Because as it is, the only people they aim to represent is themselves. This government has done NOTHING for the salaries they have been paid since they were elected and with the budget and Fooldells new stunt they are not only laughing at the people but rubbing their noses in the ‘you know what’. Disgraceful people, every one of them.

58. Carson C Cadogan June 11, 2017 at 10:48 am

I am noticing that Barbados Today is removing all comments which are not complimentary to the crooked Barbados Labour Party.

It seems that Barbados Today is now endorsing a policy of, if you comment here it has to be complimentary to the BLP or nasty to the Democratic Labour Party or your comment will be removed.

59. David G. Brooks June 11, 2017 at 1:38 pm

We have a South Coast Boardwalk that was designed to allow people, especially the handicapped and wheelchair bond, to have full lateral access to the scenery and free air but for over a month we can’t get the NCC or whomever to clear the sand in two areas. Could only be because of lack of funds. I was at KFC Hastings that other evening to see nurse pushing a a person in a wheelchair back and forth over a 100 or so yards because the sand boxed them in. This has been highlighted in articles on the news.

We also have an important Weather Doppler Radar, located at Castle Grant in St. Joseph, that has been down since last November and in March this year they change the status message from “The radar is being calibrated” to the following:

Latest Status 2017-06-11 Time: 17:06 UTC

Radar operation: Offline. Awaiting critical component from manufacturer. Estimated down time until September of 2017.

See for yourself and keep checking it …

Hurricane season just started and August/September is out peak time around here and we know that this down time may get extended.

Two years a similar thing happen when it was down in December 2014 and remained down until Aug/Sept 2015 – the reason we found out at the time was the need for another (or many same) critical part costing $20,000 – that is all when you compare it the value of the whole system – the Radar is a GIFT from the European Union costing between 3-4M Euro back 10 years ago or so.

There are plenty other examples.

Its all about Priorities or lack thereof.

60. David G. Brooks June 11, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Carson C Cadogan … facts are facts, you cannot escape the ones I have outlined above. But I’ve heard people (Dems) say that it was during the it was during the last BLP admin that both the Radar and the Boardwalk was put in so its all their fault. if you think that is fair and that ANY Govt does not has a duty to maintain these facilities then that says a lot about you.

61. Thunder June 11, 2017 at 7:25 pm

The article was well written,a leader must be sensitive to the cries of his people,there is no comparison to him and the late Errol Walton Barrow,who would not have done this,the main reason why he cannot see what the fuss is about is because,he lives in the clouds.
    Our Prime minister needs to take off his suit,and go into the ghetto,go on the block,go in the supermarket and watch poor people shop,go on the buses and listen to the conversation,go outside the schools and listen to the cries of your people.
    You don’t have to care while your driving in your fancy car,the masses are suffering,while your driving in your fancy car,people can’t pay their bills,and while you are in your fancy car,people struggling to feed their kids,that should bother you..

62. JEDI June 12, 2017 at 12:44 am

The purchase of the car made by the govermment of Barbados quantifies and i hope this is the right term what i have been saying about politicians all along. which is that politicians do not generally care abut the people in the country other than their family and close friends. Despite the fact that sometimes it makes more economical sense to purchase a new car rather than maintain an older one i cannot at this time see how a government with any semblence of a heart could have made such a purchase.
    With thousands of persons having been made redundant, with so many people not being afforded the opportunity to a full weeks work, with the country on the verge of a financial meltdown and yet the government can find it feasible to spend $350,000 on one car, so that the prime minister can exude an aura of prestige and continue to experience a high level of comfort. Situations such as this really shows leaders for what they are really worth.
    I cannot fathom that a car of the quality of a mercedes after only nine years, receiving the correct care and maintenanace i presume it would have along with a relatively light workload, could not have been utilized for a few more years. We have been made to believe that the previous car were prone to constant breakdowns, well show us the proof. I honestly believe if this was the case something of this nature would have been plastered all over the social media.
    This is something that a true leader such as the likes of Mangofuli, and i hope his name is spelt right would have never done. Rather than buy a new car he probably would have sold the existing one along with the others and bought cheaper ones. I am of the opinion the the DLP government are aware that their time in control are coming to an end and they are just about enjoying their final benefits. Such is the case where they restored the ten percent they had given up so that their pensions would be calculated at the highest level.
    In closing i want to note that situations such as the case with the
    car will always prevail in Barbados because bajans are generally a passive people and will not go to the full extent such as the case in Venezuela. The politicians are well aware of this and will therefore continue to exploit the people and this goes for both the DLP and the BLP.

63. Mack June 13, 2017 at 12:46 pm

It seem that it is necessary for the PM to get a new ride. I think we should get him his own plane to go along with it. He only think about himself!!!

64. F.A.Rudder June 15, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Being prejudice about what car the Prime Minister drives for official government business is not quite a brilliance since the extendable durable time and shelf life of bolt on and cosmetic parts is a decade. If car manufacturers continued to manufacture a particular make for more than five years they would be out of business today. After seven years of duty an official duty automobile should be replaced and if at executive class only the best designed performance package for green economic value should be purchased. It’s the transportation afforded to the Chief executive officer of the Nation whom ever they be.

65. Buun June 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm

The DLPs have a mental disease call EXCUSITIS!