Lynette’s Chance

St Philip West door still open for Eastmond

She was soundly beaten on the last three occasions she dared to take on ruling Democratic Labour Party’s (DLP) nationally-proclaimed “pit bull” Dr David Estwick in St Philip West.

However, based on the current sentiments being expressed by some of those same constituents, Lynette Eastmond, who has since quit the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) and recently formed her own political party, the United Progressive Party (UPP), could be in with more than a fighting chance this time around — that’s if she is not too afraid of being caught between Estwick’s violent bark and the untested political bite of the BLP’s newcomer John King.

John King, Lynette Eastmond and David Estwick

The latter is best known nationally for his singing ability, especially in the calypso arena. However, it would seem, based on the responses given by constituents to the Pulse of the People team yesterday, that both he and Estwick will have a tough time convincing residents, who are already singing the blues, to give either of them their support this time around.

The general sense we got was that the harsh economic realities of the day were weighing heavily on the minds of this group of rural constituents, who are simply sick and tired of hearing the same old, same old tune coming from DLP and BLP politicians alike.

This is why Eastmond, a former Minister of Commerce, Consumer Affairs and Business Development in a previous BLP Cabinet, is even a consideration at this time.

With the UPP leader yet to announce her political riding, her pathetic political record of three successive loses against Estwick in 2003, 2008 and 2013, could actually give her the edge in St Philip West on this occasion with  residents currently clamouring for representational change.

With that said, Estwick, who soundly defeated Eastmond in 2013 by capturing 3,718 votes to her 2,305, thus securing a comfortable margin of victory of 1,413 votes, is certainly no walk over, even though it appears as though he has suddenly run into a stubborn and politically-debilitating headwind.

It was at Six Roads, St Philip yesterday that the team met up a woman, who asked us to refer to her only as June, as she waited to collect her granddaughter from school before heading off to Brereton.

Asked ‘who would you want to represent you at the next election?’ the woman stated point blank: “None of the two!” in reference to both the Government and the Opposition.

“To me, all of them are the same thing. I used to vote, but I am not voting this time around . . . I used to vote for the BLP,” she declared.

In Marchfield, another woman, Michelle, who also wanted to be referred on a first name basis only, echoed June’s sentiments. “None of them!” she said, adding that “we [in St Philip West] are between a rock and a hard place.

“We don’t have a choice,” she stressed.

While neither woman intends to vote in the next general election, one Marchfield resident, who wanted to be identified as “Mr Anonymous” was still interested in voting, but simply has not made up his mind on where to place his ‘X’.

“I voted for the DLP the last time, but now I am undecided,” he said.

Another Marchfield resident, Randolph, said he voted for Estwick in 2013, but this time around he is yet to make up his mind.

“I am undecided about both parties. They are all the same,” he said while expressing his general disappointment over the recent budgetary measures announced by the Freundel Stuart Government.

Ironically, this year’s budget could prove to be one of Estwick’s unpinning in the constituency, even though Estwick, who is the Minister of Water Resource Management had all but rubbished the package during last week’s Budget debate, while returning to his pet subject of debt restructuring.

In a fiery speech before the Parliament, Estwick had made it clear that Barbados would not emerge from the crippling economic crisis, “on a taxation and expenditure consolidation alone” when it was riddled with high debt.

“The problem is that . . . your debt service went from 48 per cent to 62.6 per cent, so therefore any improvement you are getting on your consolidation exercise in regard to those measures are being undermined by your growth in your debt service, short term debt and medium to long term debt, that is a fact of life,” Estwick told the House.

The frank-talking Estwick said he was prepared to “stand up” to represent the people of St Philip West, warning: “I ain’t born with nobody, I will die with myself.”

However, for all of Estwick’s fire, the package was eventually approved without amendment leaving a bitter taste in the mouths of Barbadians, including Jennifer, who was adamant that it was time for change.

“John King will get my vote. We need a change,” the former DLP supporter said. However her neighbour, who is a Government worker said: “I will vote the Dees. I was always a D.”

Over in Six Roads Development, another female resident who did not want to be identified by name, said she was not interested in voting for either of the two established parties.

In fact, her preference is for a third party candidate.

“I am not giving any of the two main parties my vote. I am rooting for a decent third party,” she told Barbados TODAY.

“I voted in previous elections for the Dees, but instinct tells me, don’t give any of the two main parties my vote,” the Six Roads resident said.

After voting for the Opposition in the last election, another woman, Mary, said she was equally fed up with the ‘Bees’ and the “Dees”.

“I am not voting. I just fed up. I voted for the Bees, but now I am confused to be honest. Both parties tell you what you want to hear and then when they get in, they do things that are irrelevant,” she said.

However, her husband Joe left no doubt where his allegiance was and what his intentions were.

“I am a Dem . . . and I sticking with Dem,” he declared.

At Six Roads Development, the team also met up with a distraught mother, who sought to blame Government for the death of her 13 year old daughter.

“I am not voting for nobody. The Government playing the fool. My daughter died at the hands of a doctor . . . . She was given the wrong medication,” she said.

“I am not interesting in any party,” she added while fighting back tears.

Her older daughter echoed those sentiments.

“Nobody . . . . I am not voting for anybody. I can only depend on God,” she said.

At Emerald Park one Government worker said the recent Budget had left him with “a bitter taste” in his mouth.

“I am not voting for none of them [DLP or BLP], he declared, adding that he would however “try a third party”.

His neighbour said quite matter-of-factly that she was not voting at all after she reportedly “got turned down by both Governments.

“I voted the Dees before,” said the woman, who did not want to be identified by name.

However, another resident, George, was prepared to give the BLP newcomer a chance.

“I can’t vote for the Dees. I will vote John King,”

said the man, who admittedly never voted for the DLP but said he was currently “suffering” under the weight of its polices and was prepared to “help put them out” of office.

As the team drove though Emerald Park the chorus of discontent got louder and louder with one ZR driver insisting that, “I am not voting again for nobody.

“Estwick is my man, but I am not voting,” he stressed.
emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

19 Responses to Lynette’s Chance

1. Milli Watt June 9, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I moving to St. Philip to vote for she………wait John King ain’t sing bout de party he running fuh.

2. Mark My Word June 9, 2017 at 11:57 pm

St. Phillip south easy seat for Lynette to win

3. Saga Boy June 10, 2017 at 12:32 am

This stupid unscientific method cannot produce any reliable data that can be relied upon. It is merely an attempt by BT to influence voter decision away from the DLP.

4. lime juice June 10, 2017 at 1:31 am

lynette Eastmond is already a bl@#ted liar cause she denied everything about a new party and said she is still a member of the BLP and within a week lynette had press conference about a new party. starting on the wrong foot

5. Carson C Cadogan June 10, 2017 at 7:11 am

Can anyone tell me if MIA AMOR MOTTLEY has a Law Certificate?

• Randolph June 10, 2017 at 7:52 am

Cadogan,God’s Bible School does not offer a doctoral program.So where did Lowe get his?Once you have the money you can buy any degree in America.

• Mark My Word June 10, 2017 at 9:53 am

Mia is a big shot lawyer although she did not go to Hugh Wooding Law School in Trinidad and get a law Certificate from that Institution
      She is not a big rock lawyer so you can’t knock down somebody with a big rock and call her
      She did her law in England like all the big shots do, so she can practice in Europe
      Just have to sit down in her Office sign a few papers and make BIG BIG Big Money.
      Bree St.John introduced her into Politics in her 20’s as a half millionaire so all now she is a wealthy person don’t have to depend on court cases, born with a gold spoon in she mouth, bread done butter with ham, cheese and the works, she is well off my brother.
      Don’t need a law Certificate from Hugh Wooding Law School

6. Carson C Cadogan June 10, 2017 at 7:14 am

The media never learns.

Once again we have glaring examples of these push polls not working.

The polls in England were again DEAD WRONG.

7. Peter June 10, 2017 at 7:48 am

Carson C Cadogan. The more you write the more you expose your empty head. First of all YOU Carson C Cadogan CANNOT match wits, education nor professional and political intuit with Ms. Mia Amor Mottley. She is a duly elected parliamentarian serving unquestionably as the official Leader of Her Majesty’s royal Opposition with over 15 years experience in politics and public speaking. She can speak intelligently on any subject matter spontaneously without prompting. She HAS REPRESENTED and continue to REPRESENT many large corporation on legal issues in an official capacity. WHAT DO YOU DO? besides hanging on to a job handout because of party affiliation.? and securing job placements for your family? What about that LOWE-down Idiot that did some religious studies and calls himself a doctor?

8. Saga Boy June 10, 2017 at 8:13 am

Peter you are less intelligent than Carson Small. The man is asking about a law certificate and you telling him that Mia more intelligent than him. That is like the police charging you for driving without a valid driver’s license and you arguing with him and saying you can drive better than he. Your response is totally illogical and a reflection of someone who n got nothing between he ears.

9. Randolph June 10, 2017 at 9:33 am

Could someone give me one reason why I should vote for the DLP in the next election.

• Big Man June 10, 2017 at 9:57 am

The lesser of the two evils good reason to vote DLP

10. Donild Trimp June 10, 2017 at 11:10 am

@ Randolph – I can.

Lots of projects creating lots of jobs. How is that for a start.

11. Greengiant June 10, 2017 at 11:11 am

Lol @ Saga Boy. They don’t read peoples’ comments or questions. They too politically emotional to read carefully. That’s the same ailment suffered by supporters of the bees and dees.

I got a solution medication for them though. ” A fight to become the official opposition in Barbados. One cup every five years for the next fifteen years, and they shall both be healed “. Then they shall be politically examined at the polls in 2033.

12. A long time visitor. June 10, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I can’t imagine any Barbadian voting for the DLP after their performance over the past years in office. Water and sewage issues come to mind as well as bankrupting the people with their tax and spend habits.

13. The truth June 10, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Carson cadogan you just like Denis , the older you get the more foolish you becomes.

14. Peter June 10, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Saga Boy. That’s what you call yourself.Anyhow, little boy, Self praise IS NO RECOMMENDATION. I shall not compare myself to neither you nor Carson C Cadogan. I do not depend on political handouts and job opportunities. The expensive vehicles I drive and the properties I own, in whichever countries, are a ALL fully owned ad paid for. I sleep well at nights. Because of my educational and professional background, I am in business and social arena with very highly educated, qualified and least I say wealthy individuals worldwide. Your opinion, silly as it is, is full well understood. You cannot think or do better. Let me educate you on a little diplomacy here. Diplomacy is telling someone, especially little thinking boys like you, to GO TO HELL in such a way, that you look forward to taking the trip. I shall therefore not engage you in a written war of words. I’d be silly to waste my time. I’d rather be folly but be wise than to be blissfully and perpetually ignorant like persons of your ilk. Do enjoy your trip.

15. Saga Boy June 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm

@peter.. You see what I tell you about yourself? You begin by saying that self praise is no praise but then you proceed to praise yourself. Now how intelligent is that? You contradict yourself without knowing it. You are one amazing man or woman. A funny one too. I am not a professional but I got common sense.

16. Greengiant June 12, 2017 at 7:19 am

@ A long time visitor: Obviously you don’t know how the B L P too mismanaged this country’s affairs in the past.

It’s just they were removed from office, had they been in power during these tough economic times, they would have already entered in an I M F program. It would have been an internationally designed austerity program.

These two parties are all the same, one seeks local methods of financing the deficit, while the other will seek an external method. The bottom line is the deficit has to be financed (paid). Is it better to have a future dept to local entities ( Central bank and N I S ) or an international organization who will have to be paid with foreign exchange. I know my answer, maybe some of you commentators here can answer as well. The issue seems for many of you to be about what happens now, the real issue should be what happens
    5 – 20 years down the road.