Shocking find

Son discovers mother’s body in advanced state of decay

Sy Yearwood got the shock of his life when he broke the windows and door of his mother’s Parkinson Field, Pine, St Michael home on Saturday morning.

Apart from the nauseating stench and the horrible site of flies and insects, his 66-year-old mother Virginia Yearwood’s decomposing body was covered in white lime.

It’s a memory that’s now etched permanently in Sy’s mind – a memory he wishes he could sooner forget, but one that simply will not be easily erased.

Unable to re-enter his mother’s home since then, the 46–year–old spoke to Barbados TODAY from his neighbour’s living room Monday evening.

Sixty-six-year-old Virginia Yearwood’s decomposing body was discovered in her Pine, St Michael home on Saturday.

With the anguish still clearly written all over his face, Sy explained that his mother had apparently been dead for at least three weeks.

However, he accused two relatives who were her caregivers of deliberately concealing her death and of pretending that she was alive and well.

“They are walking in every single day and calling and telling my brother and me that my mother is okay, [but] my mother is dead,” an outraged Sy told Barbados TODAY.

“For three weeks, my mother in there,” he cried, explaining that both he and his brother had made repeated attempts to reach their mother and were assured that she was ‘ok’ when she was not.

“I’m calling her and my brother is calling her and she [one of the caregivers] is telling my brother and me that my mother ‘ok’, and she got my mother cover down and my mother dead for three weeks and telling me and my brother she didn’t know what to tell me,” Sy reported.

Despite his reluctance to relive that horrible Saturday afternoon when he and his brother Albert Gittens arrived and broke down the door to enter their mother’s home, Sy said he was both appalled and shocked at the great lengths to which the relatives went daily to apply white lime on her decaying body.

So shocked was he, that on Saturday, immediately after the gruesome discovery was made, he sat in the road for nearly four hours in disbelief over all that had gone down.

“I open that door and saw white lime thrown over she, I opened the window and I told my brother it better be a dummy in there covered over,” he said, questioning, “How could you look at [Virginia] for three weeks every day and putting white lime over her to kill the scent?”

Adamant that his mother did not deserve such treatment, Sy recalled that the dead woman always did her best. However, he explained that after the birth of her second son, Virginia suffered a stroke and was dependent on the Welfare Department and her two sons for financial support.

The woman also has three daughters. However, being the oldest of her five children, Sy took on the responsibility as head of the household.

He insisted that his mother’s life was never easy.

“She had to make ends meet. My father was a seaman, which means that my mother could not do certain things and when she had my brother and when she had the stroke it made it harder on her.

“I had to stop school, press uniforms, plait hair, so it was hard on her because she could not use her hand,” he recalled.

Later on in life, Virginia was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Despite being a disciplinarian in her home, one neighbour described her as a generous and caring friend.

In fact Dave and his brother Damian were practically raised by Virginia and Dave recalled her most used phrase, which was, “I am a very nice person, but I don’t like foolishness.”

Her death has therefore taken members of the community by surprise.

NAB Chairman David Durant

When informed of her death, Chairman of the National Assistance Board (NAB) Senator David Durant was horrified to learn of the circumstances surrounding Virginia’s passing.

In fact, he said it was an example of the mistreatment and disrespect that the elderly were exposed to by their caregivers.

“It just shows the level of mistreatment, neglect, abandonment and abuse some of our elderly people are subjected to in our country. The country has to look at this elderly abuse in a more serious way, I think somehow people are not serious enough about the high level of elder abuse that is prevailing among us as a nation,” the NAB chairman said.

The outspoken Government Senator also suggested that caregivers needed to undergo training.

“Since we are faced with this unique situation, I think the more training, the more tips that are shared the better, so we can have a better understanding and a sound education as it comes to the elderly in our midst and stamp out the levels of abuse in the elderly,” he said.

Police are continuing investigations into the woman’s death with results still pending from her autopsy.

katrinaking@barbadostoday.bb

97 Responses to Shocking find

1. Lara Crofte
    Lara Crofte June 7, 2017 at 12:23 am

Wow. This is horrible.

2. Lilpatrick Bourne
    Lilpatrick Bourne June 7, 2017 at 12:55 am

White lime??? Wow and at tht family members, this story doesn’t add up and if someone is dead shouldn’t it be reported to the police rather than the body being concealed??? Sounds like foul play and this needs to be investigated!!!!!

3. Aleisha Daniel
    Aleisha Daniel June 7, 2017 at 1:02 am

This story doesn’t add up. Then I beg to ask in a small island such as Barbados you haven’t visited your mother for more than 3 weeks neither he nor his brother and then saying the caregiver was saying she was ok. If both calling and not hearing their mother you would think one of them would go and check way before 3 weeks. Sounds to me both he and his brother were not paying enough attention to their mother sorry to sound harsh at very sad time for this family as this but this just don’t sound right to me. Condolences to the family and may she rest in peace. Just horrible.

• Doreen Waithe
      Doreen Waithe June 7, 2017 at 1:48 am

U sound right I have family all in new your and we talk every day two sisters and we talk every day its not like wen phone wasn’t around but still she was a good mother and get that kind of treatment

• Queen Alexander June 7, 2017 at 10:38 am

You are so on point. that shows neglect to the mother who brought those 2 men into this world. They said they were calling the house for 3 whole weeks and didn’t think to go by there to see what’s up, knowing she was not in the best of health. Then they gonna turn around and blame the caregivers. Barbados is a small island. How is it you can’t find time to visit your sick mother after not hearing her.

• SM June 7, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Persons like to look on into a situation and put their two cents and place blame and pass judgement without knowing the facts. Fact 1 – the lady has two sons that we know of
      Fact 2 – she was taken care of by two caregivers
      Fact 3 – she was found dead in her home
      We know nothing else. SO how can you say that it seems as if the sons were not paying attention? In the article it said that they checked in with the caregivers and were told their mum was ok. Yes some persons would not have just taken that answer and gone to see for themselves, but their is nothing wrong with them taking the work of the persons they employed to care for their mum. At the time they clearly thought they had done something in the best interest of their mum and got her the help she needed maybe because they have very busy lives. The point is we don’t know. So it is not right to want to pass judgment and say “you would think they go and check” or “they were not paying enough attention”. That is not for us to read an article and simply judge. We know that the news is sensationalized and we know that in times of grief everything that was probably meant to be said is not.

• Annette Daniel-Williams June 8, 2017 at 6:26 pm

3 weeks and you do not visit your mom terrible

4. Earl Crichlow
    Earl Crichlow June 7, 2017 at 1:06 am

Grim…

5. Pat BB
    Pat BB June 7, 2017 at 1:11 am

Something is seriously wrong with this story..
    White lime?? Hmmmm

6. Katrina P Lewis
    Katrina P Lewis June 7, 2017 at 1:37 am

That woman had her pension collected by whoever was hiding her. You must be watchful with old people and their money

7. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett June 7, 2017 at 1:46 am

I agree, this really sounds far fetch. First I must say may her gentle soul rest in eternal peace. Condolences to her family (the ones who cared about her) and friends. Those uncaregivers because no one can call them caregivers should be arrested immediately and questioned. They really have something to hide. This story hurt my heart as I am looking after my 89 years old father and I make sure all of his needs are met to the best of my ability. He can be difficult but it would be the last thing I would ever think of is to ill treat him, before I do such a thing I would walk away. I agree with David Durant that caregivers need training and also support as it is not an easy job but by no means is it right to ill treat the elderly. Those uncaregivers need locking up and throw away the keys.

8. Roslind Jones
    Roslind Jones June 7, 2017 at 1:54 am

So sad .She went aĺl out fòr those chiĺďreñ and their chiĺdren.May she RIP

9. Stephanie F. Chase
    Stephanie F. Chase June 7, 2017 at 2:11 am

Virginia…fly free. You are in no more pain.The autopsy will reveal the cause of death and I am sure that the police will investigate this situation because it really does not make much sense to me. Somebody needs to be held accountable for concealing the death of this lady. To put white lime on a dead person to conceal the stench & prolong decay……that’s premeditated. Dealing with the elderly is not easy but measures have to be put in place to monitor care-givers. Children also have a responsibility to visit their parents at least twice a week to make sure that they are ok. Three weeks and none of those children didn’t know their mother was dead? Not one of them visited that woman? Not one of them thought it strange that she didn’t want to talk to them on the phone? Life may have been hard but it does not take much to show compassion. Rest in peace Virginia.

• Bajan June 7, 2017 at 7:36 am

Depending on the type of autopsy that is performed the findings of the pathologist will differ. This case needs a forensic pathologist and when last I heard doctors are flown into Barbados from Trinidad to perform forensic autopsies in suspected foul play deaths. These doctors are specially trained to search for evidence that would determine the cause of death, the mechanism of death and the manner of death of the deceased.

• Queen Alexander June 7, 2017 at 10:44 am

Who pays for the forensic team to come to Barbados?

• hcalndre June 7, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Since the pathologist left Barbados abruptly some years ago for what reasons I don`t know, Barbados have not had a resident pathologist since but they have lawyers a dime a dozen.

10. Yvette Fenty
    Yvette Fenty June 7, 2017 at 2:49 am

Obviously someone will get locked up for this!!!..this is so sad….to bring forth children and hardly have anyone really giving u the care u deserve

• Diane Dias
      Diane Dias June 7, 2017 at 6:35 am

Not a soul getting lock up. Watch you see.

11. Vashti Brathwaite
    Vashti Brathwaite June 7, 2017 at 4:31 am

I got lost reading this article. They are too many holes in it.
    From reading it I gathered she also had three daughters. Didn’t these daughters visit their mother ? How often did these sons visit their mother ? Why would you wait three weeks to visit after not communicating with her ?
    Was she able to communicate verbally ? I am assuming she could otherwise why keep calling.
    Why would the caretakers go to such levels to conceal her death ?
    #somanyquestions #sofewanswers

• Estwick Paula
      Estwick Paula June 7, 2017 at 5:45 am

I agree.

• Wayne P Hoyte
      Wayne P Hoyte June 7, 2017 at 6:10 am

So true Vashti Brathwaite

• Collin Colliie Chase
      Collin Colliie Chase June 7, 2017 at 7:06 am

Vasti i wouldn’t have even came with this story.All of her children live in Barbados and they didn’t visit her in 3 weeks should be ashamed.

• Patrina Drakes
      Patrina Drakes June 7, 2017 at 8:07 am

Appartlenly a daughter was the caregiver

• Queen Alexander June 7, 2017 at 10:51 am

Too many questions to be answered. I would hate to know all of her children live in Barbados and not abroad. It really doesn’t take much to report a death unless you got something to hide. The old people always say actions speak louder than words and Concealing the body says It all.

12. Antoinette Mayers June 7, 2017 at 4:37 am

This is so sad. My condolences to you and your family. I applaud you for help taking care of mother. Your mum is out of pain and suffering. I hope that someone is held accountable for this situation. The first thing people are going to say that for 3 wks you did not visit her, but they are not looking at the fact that you were calling the care provider. Kudos to you because some people do not call or even visit.
    May she rest in Peace.

13. jrsmith June 7, 2017 at 4:41 am

All concern is at fault, her kids and care takers , the care takers should have been arrested , careless neglect and why throwing lime on her body what is being hidden,…………………
    The neglect and bad treatment against our old people , is not only an issue in barbados , living in the (UK) its even worst and how cases come to light, this may not apply in this case in Barbados but families have to deploy (hidden cameras ) to get the evidence to get politicians and the useless care systems management to do anything………. very ,very , sad for our old people ……………….
    …………………. whats next ….. in our beautiful barbados………..

14. Kim Gaskin
    Kim Gaskin June 7, 2017 at 4:55 am

Sad……

15. Mhizz Thickysweets Boo
    Mhizz Thickysweets Boo June 7, 2017 at 4:59 am

Jada Deneè

16. Conchita Moseley
    Conchita Moseley June 7, 2017 at 5:04 am

Evil bastards.

17. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett June 7, 2017 at 5:16 am

These caring sons live in little Barbados….right?how often did they visit their mum?,if not hearing her,how long does it take to get in the pine? SMH……rip and hope the who truth comes out

• Shas Justshas
      Shas Justshas June 7, 2017 at 5:49 am

I live in barbabos I haven’t seen my mother since December or November sometimes doesn’t hear her for weeks…it isn’t that you don’t care but when you are grown and have your own family things change.

• Biscuits June 13, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Many may not understand or agree with your comment, but I applaud your honesty. Life today can be hectic and demanding. Some folks have more commitments and responsibilities than others…it does not mean they don’t care. Who are we to judge.

• Lynda Bonnett
      Lynda Bonnett June 7, 2017 at 6:32 am

?

• Bajan GoddessJm
      Bajan GoddessJm June 7, 2017 at 6:34 am

But you talk to her everyday right? Even so, 7mths is far too long and that is very sad. If it wasn’t for her u wouldn’t hv life and be able to now hv ur family & things! Mother’s are for life and not just until u hv ‘your own life’! If u truly love & care about her, don’t leave it too late. Rather u visit now than her grave with pain in ur heart. My mother passed in 2006 and my father last year. I’m a 55yr old mother & grandmother and I never forsake them for my adult life & I would still give anything to hv them back in my life again. Another point, your children learn from you how they are to take care of you when they’re grown & you are elderly!

• Diane Dias
      Diane Dias June 7, 2017 at 6:34 am

I wish my mom was still alive… I’m just saying.

• Shas Justshas
      Shas Justshas June 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

I understand very well what you’ll are saying but it still doesn’t change the fact..

• Ziggy Blessed
      Ziggy Blessed June 7, 2017 at 8:44 am

Shas Justshas so then is it fair to say that if something (Jah forbid) happens to your mum that you wont be in papers suggesting or accusing and laying blame???

18. Elle June 7, 2017 at 5:48 am

My condolences to the family. Soooo many questions as to why a woman of that age and physical set backs would not be physically checked up on by at least one of her many kids and why the hell those animals who were actually her caregivers didnt report her death? This truely is an awful situation and i hope our laws in Barbados have something in the books that some one can be charged with for this unfortunate situation…. we are breeding a soociety that seems not to have regard for life nor death !!! #sad#mad

19. Tawnya Archer
    Tawnya Archer June 7, 2017 at 6:00 am

Where were her five children?

20. Javier Maynard
    Javier Maynard June 7, 2017 at 6:01 am

This is insane, what a situation.

21. Wayne P Hoyte
    Wayne P Hoyte June 7, 2017 at 6:10 am

The wickedness that goes on in some family units.

22. Mhizz Bee
    Mhizz Bee June 7, 2017 at 6:13 am

i cant fathom not hearing my parents for three days far less three weeks. I takk to them everyday and see them more than twice a week…three weeks is rli long…

23. Dean-cupid Slims
    Dean-cupid Slims June 7, 2017 at 6:14 am

For those of us alive. Learn from this. Hi our thy father and mother … When you can’t visit, call. Fit them into your daily plan. Please. People will be people whether family or not. This hurts

24. Javier Maynard
    Javier Maynard June 7, 2017 at 6:16 am

Cashing pension cheques still? This is so crazy. We need to know why. Hope the police act soon.

25. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor June 7, 2017 at 6:18 am

How d politician man get in, stupse…. Three weeks is a long time to be calling and not hearing a person, especially your mum! Yes u have your own family and job etc… But wunna got cars, does catch taxis or could beg fa a drop…. Visit wunna parents! Now these children gotta be pointing fingers! Seems everybody neglected this lady, even her neighbours, for we are no longer our neighbours keeper…. Rest in peace…. May the true circumstances of your death come to light….

• Ras June 7, 2017 at 8:51 am

Dumbo Sharon
      He is Chairman of the National Assistance Board (NAB)
      Education No common sense
      Fool Fool Gal

• Jai Khan
      Jai Khan June 7, 2017 at 8:53 am

No Sharon Taylor this is wickedness at the highest level..her daughter was the person in the house who was taking care of her. She was the caretaker not a stranger.

• Selma McCollin
      Selma McCollin June 7, 2017 at 9:10 am

Well said Jai , we only get one mother….. So sad..

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor June 7, 2017 at 9:12 am

I have no idea if V was the only resident… We live at home but we sleep out more times than we sleep home… I am not makin excuses just stating what I observed as a Bajan trend… Her neighbours should have missed her also… But what’s done is already done…. Hope the RBPF get it right on this one….

• Jai Khan
      Jai Khan June 7, 2017 at 9:46 am

Sharon girl, the daughter had all the bases covered..she told the neighbours that mother was spending time at another daughter so they never knew she was still in the house

26. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner June 7, 2017 at 6:23 am

If what he is saying is true both of these caregivers should be criminally prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.But simple question how can a decomposing body not be notice by neighbours the smell alone is brutal plus flies gine be going crazy at the windows,something about this story ain’t adding up.

27. Tricia Carrington
    Tricia Carrington June 7, 2017 at 6:28 am

Unbelievable this is one hurtful story what become of our society how can ppl treat each other like this I hope the truth comes out and the person’s responsible are dealt with shame on all you…may she Rip

28. Winnie Meade
    Winnie Meade June 7, 2017 at 6:32 am

Look some children dont visit ther mother at all when she dead they want to come and see what she got for them lot of children from they move to some were better and have a good job they dont want no one to see them right now it still going on

29. seagul June 7, 2017 at 6:56 am

The caretakers should be arrested and made to do at least a couple years of community service surrounding intermediate care
    Neglect in this case is criminal.

30. Patricia Browne
    Patricia Browne June 7, 2017 at 7:01 am

Three daughters ??? When was mothers again ?

31. Veronica Johnson
    Veronica Johnson June 7, 2017 at 7:03 am

That is terrible smh

32. harry turnover June 7, 2017 at 7:04 am

Simple….the person who was accustom to cashing her pension cheques knows she was dead. Start with that person.

33. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed June 7, 2017 at 7:07 am

concealing a dead person from authorities is wrong but 3 weeks cant pass that i didnt see or speak directly to my mother…..i will will wait to hear the “caregivers” side of this story…..

34. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed June 7, 2017 at 7:09 am

Senator Durant the lady had breast cancer and we know once you had one stroke they keep happening……explain to me where the deceased was abused??? I suprise that not a soul in the neighbourhood didnt realise she was dead especially in this situation where the neighbour is litterally a wall away……go figure!!!!!

• Patrina Drakes
      Patrina Drakes June 7, 2017 at 8:11 am

If when the person dead and instead of calling the authorities your next action was buy or borrow white lime to put on said person to conceal their passing is a sign that something suspicious happen. Especially if you do it to your own mother

35. Huey Newton
    Huey Newton June 7, 2017 at 7:10 am

WTF??? I guess all the kids were overseas for 3 weeks. And had no phone signals wherever they were. Crocodile tears. Pour old soul is at peace. Lock someone up now Barbados.

36. Lauraine Clarke
    Lauraine Clarke June 7, 2017 at 7:25 am

Oh my !oh my! Oh my! Three weeks, oh my.

37. Icenie Joseph
    Icenie Joseph June 7, 2017 at 7:31 am

sounds so stupid you dont hear someone for a few days you wont get and do a personal check you mother at that you not living over seas when a call for someone and i dont hear their voice i going to check for them if i overseas i calling a friend of mine to check in you all are at faulf sorry but thats my version

38. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn June 7, 2017 at 7:32 am

AFTER READING THIS MAKE UP STORY. IT SOUND LIKE MADNESS TO ME. YOU MEAN TO TELL ME 5 OF YOU LIVING IN BARBADOS AND NONE OF YOU COULD PAY HER A VISIT ONCE A WEEK. NONE OF YOU LOVE YOUR MOTHER. WICKED CHILDREN.

39. DE June 7, 2017 at 7:35 am

There is nothing wrong with the story. It tells you that those children neglect their mother, and those care givers, they do not want any training, they want getting out of the system and holding some prison. They treat that situation like how they would treat an animal. A bunch of wicked brutes.

40. Icenie Joseph
    Icenie Joseph June 7, 2017 at 7:41 am

this thing hurt me more than anything else you all livivg here and calling all the time suppose there’s no phone at all nobody wont go and look for her ?by the time you’all catch yourself it would be skeleton remains …look i gone this thing upsetting me may her soul rest in peace some dogs have a better death .

41. Princess M R Charles
    Princess M R Charles June 7, 2017 at 7:48 am

Sad you mean to tell me the neighbors ain’t even smell nothing that is how selfish bajan are today not caring about your neighbour to even smell the stench of death next door

42. Jones June 7, 2017 at 8:00 am

Only in Barbados these things happen, and people get away with it
    The care giver should be locked up by now that woman is dead and they cashing the check, and the 3daughters your conciou will kill you always check your mother

43. DE June 7, 2017 at 8:15 am

I wonder when the postman/postwoman brings her cheque, where do he or she delivers it or who receives it.

44. Diana Cummins
    Diana Cummins June 7, 2017 at 8:17 am

I read this story with a heavy heart,trying to make sense of it,yet cannot come up with a satisfactory conclusion of it,if some one pass on,why hide it ,unless it is a crime ,Is it customary for sons to get daily update of their mother,instead of speaking to hear,was her speech affected by the stroke,how often did you guys visited your mum,are you not living in Barbados, there are so many questions, as to why and how something like this can happen,what is with the white lime,never heard about this practice before.sad sad,my condolences.

45. Astra Holder
    Astra Holder June 7, 2017 at 8:19 am

Look my belly hurting @ some comments. When some have relatives they dont check for. There are persons who are unable to deal with sick persons especially a mother ,granny etcvwho they are accustom to seeing as a strong capable person. If you know this to be the case and have someone else take responsibility for the daily care of your loveone ,who are we to judge. Daily phone calls to check on her well being is ok . once met an elderly lady who the son only came to get cheques signed then never even broughht a cake of soap from said money for her. Then a gentle man that the wife only came to make sure that nobody tried to get him to divorce her or tell him bout her other man and she carry way all his money atleast he used to get sweet bisuits ( diabetic).

46. Bev Griffith
    Bev Griffith June 7, 2017 at 8:21 am

One thing has nothing to do with the other…if she died of natural causes y not call the kids….they had something to bennifit from keeping it a secret….same on them

47. Nita Holligan
    Nita Holligan June 7, 2017 at 8:36 am

The responsibility of caregivers should not only be seen as a job or paycheck, one should have the love and patience to do such a task. The care for an elder should be evaluated by their needs and the appropriate caregivers assign, we can’t have caregivers who cannot read, they should be able to recognize when an elder is in need of an assessment for other care to notify their supervisor and family member if available. Training, training, training.

48. Ronda Norville
    Ronda Norville June 7, 2017 at 8:40 am

Agree, something wrong with this story . I too got lost along the way. May her soul RIP

49. Marcia Armstrong
    Marcia Armstrong June 7, 2017 at 8:40 am

Reading this hurt me to the core. To see the lengths that were taken and blatant disregard for her life is truly heart breaking. I dont know what this country is coming to.

50. Kaie Cox
    Kaie Cox June 7, 2017 at 8:44 am

what you telling me, white lime!

51. Kristina Pile
    Kristina Pile June 7, 2017 at 9:12 am

This story is very sad but the saddest part is for 3 weeks you called relatives asking about her and you live in Barbados smh but what really got me good after adding all this white lime if the relative was successful in getting the body to deteriorate with out the sons having a clue what would have been this persons next move to get rid of the skeleton remains and said that this old lady walk away? This story is very disturbing

52. Marcia June 7, 2017 at 9:35 am

MR Durant this has nothing to do with care givers not being trained. This is an act of dishonesty , fraud and uncaring individuals. Too many people were involved for her to be dead and noone knew. There is a piece missing from this Puzzle.

53. Penelope Jones
    Penelope Jones June 7, 2017 at 9:48 am

So sad!

54. Francine Russell
    Francine Russell June 7, 2017 at 9:56 am

Calling for 3 weeks??!! The second day I didn’t hear her I’ d be at the door![

55. Francine Russell
    Francine Russell June 7, 2017 at 9:57 am

Too many things not adding up….jus’ sayin’.

56. Anthony June 7, 2017 at 10:21 am

How does this apparent crime suddenly become the fault of this woman’s two sons?! It is very clear from reading this article that the brothers were in telephone contact with the caregivers and were given assurances that all was well with their mother and they trusted those assurances.
    It is also clear that at some point they became convinced that all may not be well and they immediately took action and made the sad discovery. This view that somehow how these men are horrible creatures because they “did not visit their mother for three weeks” is abject nonsense. Nor is it a measure of their love or concern for her. We cannot know their hearts or circumstances. I would think the real outrage here is that an elderly disabled woman died and her “caregivers” went to extradordinary measures to conceal her death. I have no doubt that charges will follow once the investigation is completed.

57. Vennesia Trotman June 7, 2017 at 10:26 am

The LADY had 5 children, where were the girls. The boys leave a lot to be desired, they did not have to take a plane or boat to go see their mother, they should hang their heads in shame. Even if they were not on speaking terms with their mother she was sick they should still go and see her, the caregivers see the treatment she was receiving from her own that she bore in her womb, what is wrong with the 5 of them, their day will come. Watch the hold bunch of them crying at the funeral. God has taken her out of her misery. Who was collecting the pension or assistance she was getting. People wake up. You only have one Mother and she should be loved.

58. Ms knight June 7, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Too many of the elderly people in barbados are being ill treated, I had a relative that does last year,who even though he had prostate cancer could have been made comfortable enough till he passed,but instead those that came to take over would have him locked in the house when he was bed ridden and would only come in the evening,he would lie there all day in dirty pamper and half wet bed,the boys that limed in front his house told me that he would cry out in pain at night, one day I called a doctor and sent her and she told me no one was there to let her in,she passed back in the evening and found a relative there, the doctor was able to examine him and she said he was in pain dehydrated and needed blood who after informing her that the man would be dead in 7 days if he didnt get medical help assure her that she would call the ambulance but she did not,When I checked the morning with the guy who was outside he told me the man was still hom and was crying from the night,i had to call the police and the ambulance, he was treated and given blood but diacharged in the care of the same person who wasnt treating him well..he died about 8 days later…there is no love no nothing but then people ahow up after for the possesions of the dead..may God help us..

59. Milli Watt June 7, 2017 at 1:55 pm

dis one ticklish don’t think you can be charged under the OAPA for concealing a death however if after the autopsy and an offence is suspected you could be charged for concealing the offence and possibly committing it. will keep an eye on this one for sure. sorry to hear about your mom I don’t want to grow old in dis pig sty…..to find my mom or dad like that ……………just don’t know what becoming of this place.

60. Jennifer June 7, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I am just wondering if the care givers thought that by leaving the body to decompose that the authorities would not be able to see the marks on the body.
    This story is so sad that it makes me sick. Some of us think that once we have our own family and move away from home that a phone call at Easter, Mothers Day and Christmas should be ok.
    All the children are responsible for her death. May she Rest In Peace and Rise In Glory.

61. shelly-ann June 7, 2017 at 4:05 pm

First of all my condolenses to the entire family, second, i don’t understand how the brothers haven’t visited their mother for three weeks knowing she was sick, surely they don’t really care about her that much, third, Senator David Durant statement is pure nonsence, those caregivers are evil and needs to be charge, what training are you talking about, something is very fishy about this i do hope justice will be serve

62. Connie Skeete June 7, 2017 at 5:41 pm

This is sad

63. Sheryl Smith June 7, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I hope that the caregivers and cheque changer see this lady everywhere they turn…They should be charged…Wicked!

Condolences to the two sons that found her…May her soul rest in peace!

64. Alfred Shepherd June 8, 2017 at 11:53 am

Her children should have made an effort to see her on a regular basis. There is no excuses for that. If I call my mother and don’t hear her, I would be standing at her door the next day and she is NYC. I would call a neighbor or family member that live near by if I couldn’t get away. But not to see your mother or father for 3 weeks and you live here, cause barbados is not that large, so you can get from point A to B very easy. So there I see no excuses for this behavior. Bottom line they just didn’t care. Or she was so bad to them that drove them away from her. That’s the other side of the coin. But even so, that’s your mother and you only get one. I would have to go and make sure she was ok, regularly. And who puts lime on a body unless they are covering up something, she wasn’t a sheep or a dog. This was cruel and unnecessary. They should be locked up.

65. Deborah Richards June 8, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Well I agree with what a lot of you had to say, but I’m asking the authorities PLEASE DONT LET THIS ONE SLIDE UNDER THE CARPET PLEASE those involved have something to hide her death was not natural why go to such length to cover up her body with white lime I’m such it must have taken more than one bag how comes the neighbors it smell anything with houses practical attach to each other it is sad to see 5 children with they mother condition and none of them bother to look other that the daugher that was caretaker hold her first for questioning and then anybody else afterwords but there is a cover up some where she was treated like a dog cause thats what you do to a dog or cat justic must be served may hersoul rest in perfect piece

66. Destiny June 9, 2017 at 9:34 pm

These people should be charged. Hiding up a death.
    White lime?Was she a cat or a dog. They know full well what they were concealing. Evil bastards.
    The natural thing is to call the police since she would have died at home. Not throw line.
    Care givers or not why did no one visit mum?Did they not take turns?It was not the caregivers sole duty.
    Why are people so unkind to old people ,disabled or sick persons?

67. Kareen June 13, 2017 at 7:15 pm

He’s to blame as well. If he and his brother cared about their mother as he claimed, they should have visited her at least a couple of days per weeks. They are 5 of them why didn’t they all take turns in looking after the wellbeing of their mother. That’s sad what the caretaker did.