ICBL’s push

In an apparent move to become the motor vehicle insurance of choice for female drivers, Insurance Corporation of Barbados Limited (ICBL) has re-introduced its Women on Wheels (WOW) Female Drivers policy.

The plan, which attracts a range of benefits including discounts, was re-launched Friday evening at the Nishi restaurant in Second Street, Holetown, St James during a special cocktail reception for prospective female clients and business partners.

Acting Chief Executive Officer of ICBL Goulbourne Alleyne did not say how the product was performing since its introduction some years ago but said despite a recent ICBL research showing that female drivers were less prone to accidents, the company thought it necessary to relaunch it.

“We are all concerned about the number of accidents and the frequency of accidents on the roads of Barbados recently, but our statistics have shown that female drivers are safer drivers [than their male counterparts] and there are less accidents associated with female drivers. So we want to re-launch our product, which gives female drivers a benefit from the policy,” he said.

Alleyne said the improved insurance policy brought with it a range of add-ons including special “benefits” to female employees of ICBL’s business partners.

“In the near future we will be highlighting a lot of the benefits under the policy and a lot of add-ons on the policy that will benefit the ladies. Outside of the policy benefits there are other benefits to be had once you sign up for the product,” he said.

17 Responses to ICBL’s push

1. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 10:47 am

MEN GO SPEND YOUR MONEY WITH “CO-OPORATIVE GENERAL INSURANCE”.

• Jennifer June 4, 2017 at 11:09 am

Alex don’t be like that, you know women are better drivers with less accidents, evidenced by statistics. We need this sort of strategy and targeting to curb those unnecessary charges to accident free women like me and to curb accidents as a whole by men, both young and old. Mind you the incentives may prove to be a trick or treat.

2. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 11:39 am

@Jennifer, I was in 2 accidents both times I was hit from behind while I was stopped. I am a driver of MANY years. Will ICBL drop my premium and give me some of these perks?. I am not here nor there on who cause are involve in the most accidents. The programme should be “fair and equitable” across the board
    Don’t you think the ad is SEXIST?.

• Jennifer June 4, 2017 at 11:58 am

I don’t think it is sexist at all, however I believe such a plan will spark a need to target victims like you. Time will tell bro. But we need this type of targeting and separation of drivers from DIVERS. You see SIR, for such a plan as WOW – safe driving, is least on their minds. This is nothing more than business and financial strategy and maximum dollar grab. I am sure that this company have realized that women OUT NUMBER men (wink wink). I smell $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

3. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 11:52 am

I can see I being all alone on this. Few men in Bim now have Ba$$s.
    “beaten into submission” and/or “glutton for punishment”.

4. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 12:20 pm

“I smell $$$$$, I saw that too. Keep fighting the fight . May be one day You , Peter and I will meet and try to thrash out some of BIM ills.
    Please have yourself a “Most enjoyable day”.

• Jennifer June 4, 2017 at 12:33 pm

But Alex you know this same WOW targeting was in the EU, and activist complained deeming it as unfair. Then some thing was legislated to stop this kind of so called sexist moves in the name of equality. But of course you know there was a CLEVER plan B which resulted in an off shoot of plan A which ended up as 6 of 12 equaling half a dozen. So I am sure that there will be something coming for WOW over here too based on your views. But Barbados runs things slow. Just business.

Have a great too day SIR.

5. gsmiley June 4, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Alex this is nothing new. Almost all of the general insurance companies have tried it at one time or another. I distinctly remember a programme called ‘Road Angels’ which was rolled out by Cliico now Sun General. The other names slip me at the moment.

Insurance companies always look for ways to attract clients. They target SUV owners with special discounts etc.

It’s marketing bro.

And Cooperators General is no different.

6. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 1:53 pm

just asking, is Co-operated general insurance BAJAN own and operated ???????????. Some one PLEASE help me . I heard that being branded around at some point that’s why I said let’s go there.
    “Home drums beat first”. If we put our MONEY there then we will have a stronger voice.

7. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 1:56 pm

@ Jennifer, all can clearly see that the 2 of us ” ain’t just jump off the ship”.

8. Alex Alleyne June 4, 2017 at 1:57 pm

By the way, I never lived in England.

9. Saga Boy June 4, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Alex I am with you on this . It is sexist. All men should move their policies. Next they will be saying that white people who drive ZRs are safer drivers than their black counterparts. Their drive should be targeted at safe drivers period and not focused on the sex of the driver. It does not make sense.

10. gsmiley June 4, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Saga boy to an insurance company it makes perfect sense.

Yes Alex Cooperators General is locally owned. it’s owned by the credit union league of Barbados.

• jennifer June 4, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Gsmiley – good eyes. Agreed – it does make good sense. And this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH SAFE DRIVERS. ITS about targeting A MONEY MARKET aka cash cow strategy, nothing more. See the bigger pic saga boy.

• jennifer June 4, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Gs Smiley – good eye sight.

11. Watchman June 4, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I thought sexist would be any policy that discriminates based on gender.

Only hire men as research shows they take less sick days than women.
    Would that be sexist Jennifer ?

12. Adam June 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

Follow “EVE”, and see where we go.