‘Mia’s off the mark on Wyndham’

A Government spokeswoman has taken serious issue with a claim made by Opposition Leader Mia Mottley in Parliament this week.

In fact, Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner has described as “a blatant untruth”, Mottley’s declaration that construction on the US$200 million Wyndham Grand Resort in St Philip was started without the requisite Town & Country Planning approval.

Responding to Tuesday’s Budget presentation by Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler, Mottley further accused Government of flouting the law by starting construction of the luxury hotel property at the site formerly occupied by Sam Lord’s Castle, having only applied for approval just two months ago.

“Senator Sandiford-Garner [in] a Facebook posting talking about building H4 going up. Would you believe yet again this Government is breaching the law in the constituency of the Attorney General [Adriel Brathwaite], building the building without Town Planning permission?” Mottley told the Lower House on Wednesday.

But speaking to Barbados TODAY on the sidelines of a tourism town hall meeting at Hilton Barbados Resort on Thursday, Sandiford-Garner said it was “unfortunate” that Mottley had sought to bring the project into disrepute.

“It is unfortunate that we have these situations in politics in Barbados because I think this is one of the reasons that Barbadians are disillusioned with politics,” the Government Senator said.

“I am a politician and this is not the politics I subscribe to. I believe that the politics of explanation can solve a lot of problems and when you start with an untruth you certainly cannot turn it around.

“This ‘gotcha’ politics wears thin. We have just started to lay the foundation for the beachfront properties which are being built on the original CLICO footprints, which was approved by Town & Country planning years ago,” Sandiford-Garner explained.

However, Mottley contended even though the sections of the Wyndham project were covered by the CLICO plans, the overall development was still awaiting planning approval.

“What they had from the Chief Town Planner from before was simply the permission from the previous CLICO buildings, which they are not using the architecture for and they had to re-submit,” the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) leader stressed.

However, Sandiford-Garner, who is the ruling Democratic Labour Party’s candidate for St Andrew, argued that it made sense to jumpstart the project, which has been plagued with delays, by commencing work on the areas for which permission had already been granted, until full approval was given.

“Things are happening slowly but we have to start our work and what we saw was the block facing the beach and this Government, contrary to what was said, is not breaking
the law.

“These statements, if they were made outside of Parliament, would then deserve the action of a lawyer, but you can speak with impunity in the Lower House,” cautioned Sandiford-Garner, who accused Mottley of impugning the integrity of her ministry and that of the Chief Town Planner.

“It is unfair to them to have that type of allegation made against them because they are the ones who push the paper; they are the ones who do the administrative work. So you are saying that they advised illegally. These are people who drive the process so when you level an accusation, you level it at them,” she argued.

30 Responses to ‘Mia’s off the mark on Wyndham’

  1. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall June 3, 2017 at 12:19 am

    You too

    Reply
  2. Lauraine Clarke
    Lauraine Clarke June 3, 2017 at 3:20 am

    Girl where you now come from?

    Reply
  3. hcalndre June 3, 2017 at 3:28 am

    @ Irene; from what I gather from reading this report, the project has been started only waiting for the approval from the authorities, T&C. Is this the way construction is done in Barbados by the DLP, start building until the Town & Country gives the permission, same game is being played with the Hyatt that the area was given an OK more than 5 years ago and the PM wants to used that outdated plan for a building that I`m sure will have different features.

    Reply
  4. Kirk Fedee
    Kirk Fedee June 3, 2017 at 3:31 am

    Another ass clown,just like suckoo

    Reply
  5. Macmood Tata
    Macmood Tata June 3, 2017 at 3:48 am

    Hush huh mer u ugly cu anty

    Reply
  6. Patsy Yearwood
    Patsy Yearwood June 3, 2017 at 3:52 am

    Hands off Mia , yah fool

    Reply
  7. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett June 3, 2017 at 5:38 am

    You need to take several seats Irene… seriously

    Reply
  8. Shanika Roberts Odle
    Shanika Roberts Odle June 3, 2017 at 5:55 am

    Wait where this one now awaken from, I think you should be focusing on the fact that you have done nothing for the people of St. Andrew for the last 8 years and yet will be knocking on doors looking for support shortly. Or the fact thay wven those who work with you believe you got your current position through…….fowl means.

    Reply
  9. jrsmith June 3, 2017 at 6:00 am

    Our crooked , corrupt , unproductive politicians, done nothing since this government took office….. is truthful ….. is workable …. is honest , is accountable ………………………….
    What level of education do we claim at this present time, to allow this government to stay in office 2 terms and have gotten away year after year , with ravaging our Barbados treasury , hundreds of millions of bds dollars cannot be accounted for because they set out to con the black masses , doing so by not leaving a paper trail ………………………………………….
    lts about time justice is done by starting criminal investigations…we should not go into a new election with this just been hushed up …..
    When you consider in the (UK) a politician has over spent by £15,000 during the past election and he has to answer criminal charges………..
    In barbados one (Audit General’s) report show 800 millions bds dollars plus cannot accounted for and the newest (Audit general’s) report is showing the government is doing the same again , this show how much they think they are above the law….just to do what they please…….people do thing against the law because they know they can get away with it……….
    The government is always aiming, at finding something to get the opposition away from telling the black bajan masses the real truth of whats really going on in barbados…………………………

    Reply
  10. Anthony Small
    Anthony Small June 3, 2017 at 6:07 am

    Blasted idiot

    Reply
  11. Anthony Small
    Anthony Small June 3, 2017 at 6:07 am

    You now wake up like fumble

    Reply
  12. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore June 3, 2017 at 6:17 am

    Bajans think it bad, the worst coming just wait and see. Smh

    Reply
  13. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd June 3, 2017 at 6:19 am

    WAIT!! WAIT!!

    Reply
  14. Tsa Harris
    Tsa Harris June 3, 2017 at 6:49 am

    Next

    Reply
  15. Kamila Burrowes
    Kamila Burrowes June 3, 2017 at 7:01 am

    You off the mark yuh goat

    Reply
  16. Randy Hartman
    Randy Hartman June 3, 2017 at 7:02 am

    So a previous plan was approved.. the building was redesigned but the logic here is to go ahead and do the foundation work because that part of the project is similar or the same??
    These people listen to them selves ))) so
    Does this concept apply to the rest of us also.. I mean if you possess an old approved plan,, to start building the similar parts of the structure’s design pending approval of the new design lol this is great news for developers and builders

    Reply
  17. Angela Griffith
    Angela Griffith June 3, 2017 at 7:14 am

    Hand of mia you done nothing for the last 9 years

    Reply
  18. James Austin Bynoe
    James Austin Bynoe June 3, 2017 at 7:24 am

    I know “crazy” people when I see them …. some just interested in keeping their gov salary and job for doing absolutely nothing ….

    Reply
  19. dsun June 3, 2017 at 7:32 am

    Mottley is the one with foot in mouth disease

    Reply
  20. Michael Turton
    Michael Turton June 3, 2017 at 7:40 am

    WAIT, ya saying de woman lie……….THEN,ya confirming what she said……..

    Reply
  21. Sasha June 3, 2017 at 7:46 am

    And wunna wonder why the youth like this. Adult calling someone names because they have a different opinion, sigh.

    I bet none of you support bullying.

    Reply
  22. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell June 3, 2017 at 7:58 am

    You playing out yuh last days in the limelight.. fool

    Reply
  23. Meshach Thornhill
    Meshach Thornhill June 3, 2017 at 8:07 am

    You are so far of the mark that the people in ST ANDREW dont want you.

    Reply
  24. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith June 3, 2017 at 8:16 am

    Things that make you want to go,hmmmmmm.

    Reply
  25. Carson C Cadogan June 3, 2017 at 8:36 am

    Mr. Mottley does not let the truth get in his way.

    Reply
  26. joan Worrell June 3, 2017 at 9:50 am

    Carson, wuh dah you doing? You better be careful yuh!! . lol. Anyhow , this is an old one that might have escaped your knowledge.

    Thomas Trace Beatie (born Tracy Lehuanani LaGondino; January 20, 1974)[2] is an American public speaker, author, and advocate of transgender and sexuality issues and a focus on trans fertility and reproductive rights.

    Beatie, a trans man, had gender reassignment surgery in 2002 and became known as ‘The Pregnant Man’ after he became pregnant through artificial insemination in 2007. Beatie chose to become pregnant because his wife Nancy was infertile, doing so with cryogenic donated sperm.[3][4]

    Beatie’s first pregnancy resulted in an ectopic pregnancy with triplets, requiring emergency surgery and resulting in the loss of all three fetuses.[5] Beatie has since given birth to three children.

    The couple filed for divorce in 2012. The Beatie case is the first of its kind on record, where a documented legal male gave birth within a traditional marriage to a woman, and for the first time, a court challenged a marriage where the husband gave birth.

    Reply
  27. Miche June 4, 2017 at 4:12 pm

    After reading most of the post from opposition supporters,,especially so the language that is being used ,,especially from the women I shudder to see what the next generation of opposition supporters will be like,,,,These said adults would want to shout at the behavior of our young impressionable children,,who are copying their every move./… forgetting the words of one of the greatest education ministers this country has seen,,,,Hon Erskin Lloyd Sandiford,when he said ” Juvenile Delinquency, is a direct result of Adult delinquency”…,Children live what they learn and add their youthful slant to what you,the adults show them,,Be careful of the things you say or do for the children are watching…… Don’t be misguided by self-serving politicians ,whose only interest is to mount the steps of parliament.
    So again to the more level-headed electorate,,, again let me copy from a great campaigner,,,,”When they go low, let us go higher”

    Reply
  28. Miche June 4, 2017 at 4:13 pm

    After reading most of the post from opposition supporters,,especially so the language that is being used more so from the women I shudder to see what the next generation of opposition supporters will be like,,,,These said adults would want to shout at the behavior of our young impressionable children,,who are copying their every move./… forgetting the words of one of the greatest education ministers this country has seen,,,,Hon Erskin Lloyd Sandiford,when he said ” Juvenile Delinquency, is a direct result of Adult delinquency”…,Children live what they learn and add their youthful slant to what you,the adults show them,,Be careful of the things you say or do for the children are watching…… Don’t be misguided by self-serving politicians ,whose only interest is to mount the steps of parliament.
    So again to the more level-headed electorate,,, again let me copy from a great campaigner,,,,”When they go low, let us go higher”

    Reply
  29. A Gittens June 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm

    Will the Castle be rebuilt (does anyone know)?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *