Sharon lose to St Stephen’s

Former champions St Stephen’s Primary might not have advanced through to the play-offs but they sure did not leave the preliminaries of the National Sports Council’s BICO Primary School Football Competition empty-handed.

Playing Tuesday at Orange Hill, St James, St Stephen’s registered a 3-1 victory over Sharon Primary and were able to break Sharon Primary’s unbeaten record thanks to a brace from Tyshae Headley and Tre Callender while Jahsiah Reid accounted for his team’s lone goal.

Tre Callender of St Stephen’s Primary, being high-fived by his dad Brian Callender after scoring against Sharon Primary.

Sharon and St Alban’s Primary have both tallied 17 points to secure their places in the round of 16 scheduled to play in a couple days time. St Stephen’s, playing their seventh and final match, knew they could not advance but that did not stop them from coming out on top Tuesday with a big upset to finish third in the standings.

St Stephen’s were in an advantageous position going two goals up before half-time when in the 13th minute Headley took a long-range shot that was too much for Sharon Primary’s goalkeeper Zachary Carter.

Sharon Primary goalkeeper Zachary Carter was kept very busy against St Stephen’s Primary.

A couple minutes later and teammate Tre Callender netted a wonderful goal when he gained possession from the midfield and zigzagged his way past several burgundy shirts for Sharon before taking control from the left of the 12-yard box for a lovely finish to the right of Sharon keeper Carter who attempted to make a diving save.

During the second-half Sharon Primary managed to pull one back when a cross from the left by Kyaros Greaves found the boot of Jahsiah Reid in front the goal bars for a simple finish. Those celebrations were short lived when Headley scored his second goal of the match and made the result 3-1 to St Stephen’s.

James Pounder (center) of Good Shepherd Primary in celebration mood after scoring his second goal against West Terrace Primary. (Pictures by Morissa Lindsay)

In other zone two encounters played, a brace by James Pounder of Good Shepherd Primary buried West Terrace 2-0. St Mathew’s Primary and St Silas played an uneventful goalless stalemate. St Alban’s Primary gained three easy points after Welches Primary failed to show for that particular matchup.

Romario Beckles with a lovely header away from St Silas Primary defenders Dineco Henry (left) and Amoi Greenidge.

At King George V Memorial Park, Amari Griffith ensured St Martin’s Mangrove came out on top 1-0 during Tuesday’s top of the table clash in zone eight against Blackman and Gollop Primary.

Rashad Harris claimed all three goals for Reynold Weekes Primary as they defeated Hilda Skeene Primary 3-1 with Milan Trotman scoring the lone goal for his team.

St Philip Primary also showed good form when they trounced St Luke’s Brighton 4-0 with two goals from Dequon Toppin and one each by Tremaine Shepherd and Jacobe Griffith. Bayley’s Primary edged Gordon Walter 2-1 thanks to Marcus Mason and Daniel Duncan while Hasani Alkins had the one goal for Gordon Walters.

West Terrace Primary defender Keon Barker (in blue) tried his best but was unable to stop Good Shepherd on the offensive side of play.

Mount Tabor Primary got the better of Ellerton Primary during zone a five clash with Kevon Bascombe and Javon Mayers scoring for the victorious side while Akeel Jacobs netted one for Ellerton.

Wesley Hall outplayed St Mary’s Primary 2-0. Westbury Primary edged Eagle Hall 1-0 when they met in zone six at Passage Road. At the Stadium Lawrence T. Gay Memorial shot three past Trinity Academy who were beaten 3-1 and Deacons Primary won 1-0 over Grazettes Primary.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *