Eleven Digicel workers retrenched

Close to a dozen workers were Monday given their walking papers as part of ongoing restructuring by Actavo, the Irish-headquartered company contracted by Digicel to provide services and which, according to its website, has a strategic partnership with the telecommunications company.   

The workers met with management at 8:30 a.m. Monday at the company’s Manor Lodge, St Michael office after they were notified of the meeting by letter last week.

The notification had fuelled anxiety among the workers about pending job cuts,  and Monday those fears were realized.

“We were given a letter last week and we hear it look like them going fire we,” one of dismissed workers told Barbados TODAY before entering Monday morning’s talks.

About 45 minutes later the same worker and ten other colleagues emerged with their official walking papers.

And while the workers refused to offer any further comments on their dismissal, the company’s Public Relations Manager Gary Gibney told Barbados TODAY: “Actavo is resizing its pool of human resources in Barbados in order to create greater efficiencies and meet the needs in the market.

“A consultation process with staff is currently concluding. Of paramount importance during this process is ensuring that all employees are treated in a fair and respectful manner.”

Gibney also warned that the restructuring process was ongoing, a suggestion that even more workers could go. However, he could not give any indication of the total number of workers who would be affected.

4 Responses to Eleven Digicel workers retrenched

  1. Andrea L. Taitt
    Andrea L. Taitt May 30, 2017 at 6:44 am

    Staff working for Actavo who were sub contracted by Digicel! Geeeeze

    Reply
  2. Milli Watt May 30, 2017 at 11:25 am

    you get send home and ain’t offer a comment…….you still think you going get back massah pick. WRONG more to follow and if this is the mentality of workers at DIGICEL given my present service good riddence to you all. suffer in silence labour suffer in silence wunnah to smart for wunnah own good

    Reply
  3. Aaron May 31, 2017 at 12:21 am

    Good timing to let all these workers go as the budget is released !!!

    Reply
  4. Talleyne June 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm

    And now the very CEO responsible for this Charlie clementson is now trying to run the mobile business…. for goodness sake !! These people have literally no clue. Sad and depressing to see this.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *