Concerned citizens clean up Accra Beach

A group of concerned citizens spent part of their Saturday morning cleaning up the popular Accra Beach at Rockley, Christ Church.

The clean-up was the brainchild of local surfer Paul Wilson, a frequent visitor to Accra Beach.

He told Barbados TODAY that on a recent visit to the beach, he was shocked at the amount of garbage that was littered along the coast.

“I just sat down and said something isn’t right here. It just hit me, the unsightliness of the garbage and how it was,” Wilson explained.

It was while he sat on the shore with his surfing buddy Bruce Mackie that Wilson decided to do a beach clean-up.

The project garnered interest on social media with local businesses such as Innotech and Lewis Drug Mart donating a skip and gloves respectively.

Some 30 volunteers joined the clean-up.

Wilson said that it was not solely the responsibility of Government to maintain public spaces and he urged residents and visitors to keep the beaches clean.

“If you litter the beach it might not impact you directly but the turtles as well. Our economy is tourism-based, tourists are going to go to other and better beaches, somewhere else in the world or the Caribbean if we don’t take care of our beaches,” he added.

45 Responses to Concerned citizens clean up Accra Beach

1. John Everatt May 27, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Wonderful job folks. Barbados needs to be proud of you. As for those that thoughtlessly put the garbage there in the first place or just dropped that drink cup anywhere they liked – your disgusting actions need to stop.

• Bajan at heart May 30, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Well done…great citizenship and Barbados should be proud of you all…hopefully your good will will spread

2. Omar Watson
    Omar Watson May 27, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Shoot…
    I just tossed a condom wrapper out there…

Sorry

• Kymia Dior
      Kymia Dior May 28, 2017 at 12:47 am

Lol

• Shari A Lobo
      Shari A Lobo May 28, 2017 at 8:39 am

Classy.

• Llash May 28, 2017 at 10:17 am

You my friend are the real problem with barbados… immature and totally unaware of your behavior that is crippling the country.

• Di Clarke May 29, 2017 at 10:02 am

Sad we have reached the stage that people are so uncaring of OUR surroundings but are also so careless with their speech.
      Well done to all who cleaned up.

• steve williams May 29, 2017 at 6:01 pm

You just proved that you are poorly educated!

3. J Small May 28, 2017 at 12:32 am

I grew around that beach! The only one I actually feel safe on! To think that a stranger had to open your eyes to all that littering is disgraceful !

4. bajan boy May 28, 2017 at 12:38 am

Painful when you come across such iliterate bajans as Omar Watson..

5. KB May 28, 2017 at 1:04 am

Well done to volunteers!

6. Maya Trotz May 28, 2017 at 1:43 am

Excellent. Could never understand how people could picnic in the empty lot next to the hotel amidst all of the trash. Was having dinner at a restaurant a block up from the beach a week ago and watched huge rats try to get through a pipe outside the mart in quayside. Pretty disgusting. Was told the rats come up from Accra. Really good to see folks doing something. Imagine the trash bears the name of lots of food stores in that area. Hope people learn to take their trash back home with them and not expect a bin to now appear.

7. Nealiho Hope
    Nealiho Hope May 28, 2017 at 3:16 am

Awesome job everyone!

8. Charlie Black May 28, 2017 at 3:36 am

bajan boy. I am a Canadian who loves your island and have seen so much neglect to the Coastal Areas’ & Island in General. Is this Because the Government making it hard on the general population? Either way I also am one to pic up sharp objects that are from garbage on the road ways and Beautiful Beaches of Barbados. Together we will All make a difference in the World. I enjoyed this article. Also I hoping Omar Watson getting the message. Bless All

9. Samud Ali
    Samud Ali May 28, 2017 at 5:28 am

Please note that the organiser having just suffered a blow as heavy equipment destroyed a skate park still came out to clean up a beach that so many use and abuse

10. Hazeline Sobers
    Hazeline Sobers May 28, 2017 at 5:31 am

Should be a picture of awards. Helpfulness in any good situation is vital to our community.

11. Donna Goddard
    Donna Goddard May 28, 2017 at 6:31 am

Way to go guys!!!!

12. James Franks May 28, 2017 at 6:36 am

How sad that there is so much ignorance and stupidity displayed by idiots like Omar Watson.

13. Peter Hadchity
    Peter Hadchity May 28, 2017 at 6:52 am

Well done! More Barbadians must get involved. Govt is not doing it so the people should step up. I don’t live there anymore.if I did I would have signed up to help

14. Jacqui Hodges
    Jacqui Hodges May 28, 2017 at 7:44 am

It’s a shame that people find this amusing, and maybe that’s part of the problem. It’s a serious matter and one that is only going to get worse if action isn’t taken. It’s not the government’s responsibility, it’s the responsibility of everybody to keep this island clean. I wish more people would take action like this. Well done guys.

15. hcalndre May 28, 2017 at 8:03 am

Great job by Paul Wilson and friends but I must ask, where are the workers that the DLP sent home? and have no interest if the beaches get clean or not. Don`t you think that the politicians knew that would be result if no one is there to clean the beaches? the people are pay taxes for all such things and they still want the citizens to do volunteer work, while they just live like lords.

16. Liz DaSilva Vieira
    Liz DaSilva Vieira May 28, 2017 at 8:19 am

Thanks for caring and stepping up guys.

17. Shari A Lobo
    Shari A Lobo May 28, 2017 at 8:43 am

Well done to all for stepping up and showing what can be done. The sad reality is that unless citizens do events to protect our environment the GOB won’t do it – sorry attempt to do it. Most of what was collected yesterday is probably recyclable items – glass, plastic, paper, etc. by having recycling points available and putting teeth to the laws. Of course execution is key.

18. Peter May 28, 2017 at 9:33 am

Thank You Mr. Paul Wilson for initiating that very commendable, worthwhile and thoughtful act of goodwill at the very popular Accra Beach. Already as I embark on my second cup of coffee, I have received over 25 pieces of electronic correspondences from friends mainly in the UK and Canada all annual visitors to Barbados and who visit that beach almost on a daily basis. They are asking a similar question. Where are the Ministers of Health, the Environment and Tourism in this grave area of concern? There is a big holla baloo from Messers Mark Williams and David Comissiong concerning the construction of the Hyatt Hotel but nothing about this. Omar Watson I commend you for practicing safe sex whether it was with a prostitute, a girlfriend or even another man. but, That is certainly NOT the way to dispose of a used prophylactic and its wrapper. Since you are smart and careful enough to use one, the necessary disposal should follow.

19. Livy Livingstone
    Livy Livingstone May 28, 2017 at 10:18 am

Peter Hadchity you jackass the government spends millions trying to keep the island sanitary the problem is Bajans have become nasty. Check any where those block boys are and their surroundings. They are not only lawless with drugs and guns they litter deliberately. More people should do like Wilson come together and clean their surroundings. Where you living now in Boer South Africa?

20. Carlisle Norville May 28, 2017 at 10:40 am

love your reply, Peter,I am from the older generation, as a young man i was a member of the Wesley Hall Seascout group, we met every Saturday at Browns Beach ,it was natural for me to turn off running taps ,help old people ,while diving remove plastic bags ets from the beaches i frequented ,are they still sea scouts & land scouts, & cubs etc, our young people should be encouraged to be part of organizations that put Beautifull Barbados first, what about the cadet corps, can’t they be used to help keep our island beautifull we can’t mind the hypocritical ministers that in government for the Good life I got joint replacement in my right foot in Cuba & i can’t get around as i would like to ,otherwise i would be out there doing the best I can for my lovely island Barbados.

21. Vinnie May 28, 2017 at 10:53 am

But will the garbage trucks come get it is now the question! Better call them!

Tell them to go Coral Sands again, once a month is NOT enough!

22. Reginald Eckstein May 28, 2017 at 11:54 am

Well done Paul. Barbados needs more people like you. There are many other islands to visit other than Barbados that have the same weather and beautiful beaches and friendly people. I think Barbados and its people are fooling themselves if they think tourists are going to continue to visit the island if things remain the same. Tourists will just stop coming if you continue to treat your island like a garbage dump. People like Paul know this and Barbados needs more people like Paul to turn things around. Wake up people. I first visited the island in 1967 and on a recent trip there in 2016 i realized that the infrastructure was the same as my first trip. Roads, sidewalks, running water, transportation, garbage pickup, sewage and all those unsightly abandoned houses and hotels left to rot would be a good place to start. Tourism they say is up 8% from last year. I believe that number would be much higher if more people like Paul took notice of there surroundings and took matters into their own hands.I love Barbados and its people and I care.

23. Jerry May 28, 2017 at 11:55 am

Just spent 5 days in hotel sonesta ft Lauderdale on Sea. Automatic charge to room of US 20.00 daily to use. Beach across the road. Provided 2 chairs on beach and Towels by Hotel , Umbrella $12.00 extra . Ft Lauderdale on Sea provides Machine to cleans Beach every morning . Security, Garbage bins which are never full to overflowing and staff. If Tourism is our business Then the BHA and BTIC should look at the Florida Model. as I have paid a similar charge on Ocean Drive in South Beach. Incindentally all of their beaches are spotless.

24. Jennifer Cole Raesch
    Jennifer Cole Raesch May 28, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for a job well done!

25. Sue kent May 28, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Love that beach been to Barbados many times this is such a shock to see this amount of garbage on Accra /rockley come on people keep the beaches clean take your litter with you

26. Pat S May 28, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Well done Paul Wilson and all the volunteers. Litter is a worldwide problem. I’m a member of a group of volunteers that regularly clean up areas in the Lake District in the UK. Litter is not just left on beaches…you’ll find it despoiling our fells even at 2,700 feet above sea level..

27. Peter May 28, 2017 at 1:34 pm

jerry, I concur with you. I have travelled countless times to Miami an have stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Collins Avenue on South Beach or the one on Coconut walk further south, and ALL those beaches are kept spick and span by their local city councils Private entities such as Hotels and beach front business are more than welcomed to participate. if anyone is caught littering they are immediately issued with a ticket with a fifty dollar fine on the spot. if when they go to pay and their record shows they are a repeat offender they MUST appear in court where the local magistrate can impose a $500.00 fine or jail. This is also done on the West coast, Hawaii, the French, Spanish Italian Rivieras among other well known beach front areas. When anyone check in at any hotel, they are issued with a letter informing them of thid among disorderly behavior, Nudity, alcoholic consumption and drug use. Even loud music. Barbados is NOT SERIOUS when it comes to their tourism products.

28. Yvette Alleyne
    Yvette Alleyne May 28, 2017 at 3:09 pm

These citizens are to be respected and admired. All of us have a part to play as a citizen wherever we live to do good and help where it is needed. It begins with me it begins with you it begins with all of us.

29. Ejam May 28, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I’m a Barbadian, and I live in Florida. I have become to clean beaches,and no littering. Five years ago, I was in Barbados, and decided to walk on the Accra beach as a short cut to the bus stop. What did I encounter? A large ball of farces on the whir sand with the waves rolling in near-by. The blue ocean was breathtakingly beautiful. a perfect scenery especially for tourists. As I casually took in the surroundings, There in the gutter that opens from the main road next to the Accra Beach Hotel, was an array of plastic forks, spoons, and knives, paper plates, and cups, as well as empty glass bottles, disposable paper. One could see they were there for days or weeks. I felt so disgusted, so disappointed in the Department of Sanitation! I tool picture of the are, adding them to two other areas in Bridgetown that were also littered, planning to send them to the government. Then I thought to myself: What’s the use? They are going to ignore my letter, and photos, because some people in GOV. do not care, and may insult me. Now all these years later, it is worse. I will not clean up after nasty people, especially if the GOV is neglectful, and the hotel employees can see the filth, and ignore it. Barbadians need to get rid of their nasty habit of littering the island with dead pigs at the roadside, and dead animals with terrible stench on some beaches , as I experienced once in River Bay, and garbage at the bus stops, and junctions, as I witnessed in in Six Roads, and other places. I will not take a Non Barbadian to Barbados with me again, as I was very embarrassed at their nastiness. Barbados is unraveling. GOV. needs to get it’s act together before it is too late.

30. Tony Webster May 29, 2017 at 6:05 am

Thanks be to Paul Wilson and friends, for their spirited action.There are several vendors in the area, like David, who arrive very early, like 5.30am, to clean thier immediate surrounds, and set-out their goods. One I know personally, David (great carved trinkets and stuff for the ladies) said he “is tired” of calling sanitation re the overflowing skip. Further east, in the rough parking area, is where nasty bajans dump stuff from their cars. I also see our N.C.C. folks out early, doing their best. They are NOT responsible for depositing the trash, nor the emptying of the skip.

Where was our Big Christian “Doctor” Minister of Sanitation and Shame?? Maybe, polishing-up the big cross always visible around his very blessed neck, sitting atop his well-fed corpulent corpus.

31. Livefree May 29, 2017 at 6:44 am

The sat afternoon limers and the Sunday afternoon limers park off there cars party up and every Monday morning when I go to the boardwalk to exercise the area is full of trash . I wonder how bad it would have had to get before they realized . I believe they would have kept on liming with the trash all up to there ankles . Good job Paul and crew . Nuff respect ! You guy are beautiful people!

32. Mark May 29, 2017 at 7:49 am

Hats off to you Paul

33. JM May 29, 2017 at 8:10 am

@Ejam……’ Barbadians need to get rid of their nasty habit of littering the island with dead pigs at the roadside ……’ Come on Pinocchio you can do better !! Yes we have ‘roadkill’ of cats/dogs but you should be able to tell the difference…….I have taken part in beach clean-ups around this still beautiful island of ours and will continue so to do because it is here I was born. We don’t wait on the ‘authorities ‘.

34. ML May 29, 2017 at 8:45 am

I am a frequent visitor to BDS. I arrived last week and cut thru the west side of the hotel to go for my morning walk on the beach. First thing I noticed was the litter. What a change yesterday. Thank you.

35. Donild Trimp May 29, 2017 at 8:47 am

Barbados is a lazy and lawless society. The majority of Barbadians suffer from an entitlement mentality and exhibit behavior that can only be seen as ignorant.

On a recent visit to Barbados I was sitting in a car in the Cheffette parking lot at Rockley and a couple (male and female) sitting and eating in another car two spots over, after finishing their snack calmly threw the cups and paper bags out the window and drove off without a bother.

Guessing at their age, I would say early twenties. Those are the type of social miscreants mothers and fathers are producing in Barbados today.

Not worth the wasted 5 seconds to produce these fools.

36. Di Clarke May 29, 2017 at 10:01 am

37. Richard Marshall May 29, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Paul Wilson and all those who assisted including the companies need to be highly commended for this action which has gone a long way to restore Accra Beach to its old glory. One can only hope that those who leave the garbage in thier selfish behaviour will take heed and be shamed into stopping these bad habits. A big thanks from Barbados.

38. steve williams May 29, 2017 at 6:02 pm

P.S Paul Wilson is one of the founders of the F-Spot.. a place where kids of all walks of life and all ages went to skateboard… recently destroyed by the BADMC –

39. Fred May 30, 2017 at 6:29 am

Wake up bajans, Barbados is your home. Even rats don’t soil their own nest. What has happened to bajan education and family life that the kids behave in such a completely irresponsible way?