Crop Over changes

There will be no Cohobblopot for Crop Over 2017 as was previously announced. Neither will there be a King and Queen of the Crop. These are just two of the changes to this year’s festival.

Speaking to the media during the annual Crop Over briefing at his Sky Mall office, Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley provided details of a number of changes. Having announced to another media house less than a month ago that Cohobblopot would be returning, Lashley revealed that the event would again be off the calendar.

“We had announced efforts to stage Cohobblopot with a partner. I believe that everyone who sees me asks about the return of Cohobblopot to the calendar. Discussions had ensued in relation to having Cohobblopot with a partner but I have to say to you that particular discussion ended in the partner who was targeted indicating that they could not produce Cohobblopot this year. So unfortunately there will not be a Cohobblopot on the calendar this year,” he said.

Lashley renewed a call for a private sector entity to come on board to stage the once popular event, which has been off the cards for two years now. There was no show last year and in 2015, it was replaced by the 1Love Concert featuring Machel Montano and the Monk Monte band.

“Again, as I stressed in previous years, the production of Cohobblopot is one which the NCF believes can best be produced by a private sector partner with technical support from the NCF and wherever possible. We have done it already with a partner and we are prepared to do it again but we would want to signal we are still very eager to have that event produced with a private partner and therefore we look forward to interest being expressed for next year’s event,” he added.

With regard to the King and Queen of the Crop, that will be no more due to the changing face of the sugar industry.

Said Lashley: “One of the changes that we have talked about over the years relates to the King and Queen of the Crop. This has engaged conversation for quite a while and this has to do with the changing face of the crop. We have seen the changes, we have recognized that there’s hardly a single cane cutter who is out in the field.

“We have monstrous equipment that can cut down a field in a matter of hours. So the changing face of the sugar cane harvest has really come to the fore. Much more mechanization, less labour intensive and therefore the whole question of King and Queen of the Crop and how many tonnes you’ve cut and how much you load has really been a part of that modernization.”

Lashley went on: “So the NCF is having discussions on how we address this issue. I can say to you that the whole idea of having a King and Queen of the Crop has to be relooked. Rather than having a King and Queen of the Crop, we would have an honours system for persons who are participants in the sugar cane harvest.

“The NCF has been in discussion with the Barbados Workers Union, the Barbados Sugar Industry Limited, the Barbados Agricultural Management Corporation, and they are actively pursuing a plan to move in that direction. Every year, we will look to honour two persons involved in the industry.”

The other changes include a switch to the King George V Memorial Park in St Philip as the new venue for the opening Crop Over Gala and Ceremonial Delivery of the Last Canes. “This is also part of our plan to move the festival to our communities,” Lashley said.

Also, with Courtesy Garage as a new sponsor, the 2017 Calypso monarch will drive away in a new Nissan XTrail among the prizes.

16 Responses to Crop Over changes

  1. Keith Forde
    Keith Forde May 25, 2017 at 9:27 am

    WUNNA F#CKING UP DE FESTIVAL,SO MUCH BLASTED CONFUSION.

    Reply
  2. Ahquashie May 25, 2017 at 10:01 am

    I always look forward to the Cropover Gala but, i will not be leaving town to go behind God back quite to St .Phillip to no festival that was so well done in the City.

    Reply
  3. Karen F-Glasgow
    Karen F-Glasgow May 25, 2017 at 10:16 am

    This ministry is a failure

    Reply
    • Beverley Headley
      Beverley Headley May 25, 2017 at 11:16 am

      All the Ministries under this administration are dismal failures!!

      Reply
  4. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe May 25, 2017 at 10:27 am

    They’re​ dropping all the Cropover events one by one. clearly they don’t​ give a damn about Cropvover.

    Reply
  5. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe May 25, 2017 at 10:34 am

    Some of that $76m. that they spending on police stations​ could have gone into crop over. Put on one stinking calvocade and put it in one corner of de island close to moon town. Just go to show it’s all about them not de country.

    Reply
  6. Lavern Hinds
    Lavern Hinds May 25, 2017 at 12:19 pm

    There was never going to be any cohobblopot

    Reply
    • Peter Lowe
      Peter Lowe May 25, 2017 at 12:53 pm

      Soon there won’t be a crop over either, if things continue like this

      Reply
    • Peter Lowe
      Peter Lowe May 25, 2017 at 8:29 pm

      You were right. Because the one love concert is on.

      Reply
  7. Sean King
    Sean King May 25, 2017 at 1:17 pm

    Oh please ,this Minister knew full well there was never going to be any Cohobblopot . If the NCF has already gotten most of private sector sponsorship for the other events including Carifesta which is no big impact in returns how do you expect a private promoter to take on Cohobblopot that is a died out event. Still look the Minister was quick to jump on the 1Love event as the replacement .Can’t find the money to support your own .Every Crop Over its this same story of changes after the calendar has been launch .Crop Over is a failure under this Minister who glows every year this was the best and biggest crop over .We bajans dont see it .

    Reply
  8. Cynthia Bee
    Cynthia Bee May 25, 2017 at 1:17 pm

    Oh no. King and Queen of the Crop should still be. As that is why we have that FESTIVAL ,, Are we expect a NAME CHANGE for the Festival ????

    Reply
  9. Scarfeeze Millan
    Scarfeeze Millan May 25, 2017 at 3:31 pm

    This was coming and was seen coming since last year you know how much publicity 1luv received not only here but internationally lashley was lying right up to this very article cause indeed the decision to abolish cohoblopot was already made and very apparent this talk of a partner is lies to the fullest degree and again why do we allow these people to feed us lies constantly cropover if not properly analyzed was undergoing changes from since 2014 that why Stewart saw this held off power by 4 and went with sword and shield for dem crutch Whichin had he not done it bandleaders and revealers would get white wash and yet the worst is yet to come

    Reply
  10. Denise Blackman
    Denise Blackman May 25, 2017 at 5:10 pm

    No king or queen, so why it still name crop over? But a 1 love concert. These people do not know what they are doing.” Lord help me with some money to go somewhere for a vacation please”. Thanking you in advance!!

    Reply
  11. Sean King
    Sean King May 25, 2017 at 5:30 pm

    Will the Minister rush to the support of other local promoters fetes Dis Is Rick etc and be at their launch and giving them the full support needed to assist with their production? Let’s wait and see how patriotic he is in helping the local fetes make some money by assisting with their technical cost. Home drums beat first .

    Reply
  12. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe May 25, 2017 at 6:34 pm

    So the poor king and queen will receive nothing after working sooooo hard?????….But even the bashment People will get a car? It’s time to rename the festival​.

    Reply
  13. Patrina Drakes
    Patrina Drakes May 25, 2017 at 7:49 pm

    Slowly but surely killing the crop over now cohobolpot was uniquely bajan get rid of it and bring basically Trinidadian show smh

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *