In pain

Mother of attacked student describes their ordeal

The news that three students of The Lester Vaughan School will appear in court on Thursday to face charges for viciously attacking her daughter has evoked no response from Marcia Carrington.

Not satisfaction, not anger, not revenge.

The distraught mother has only one thing on her mind –– the long, painful road to recovery that her 14-year-old faces.

“I am trying to cope the best way I can, I haven’t thought about who has been charged,” she told Barbados TODAY Tuesday morning.

Three students will appear before the District ‘D’ Magistrate court in 48 hours, police have reported.

Two girls – one 16, the other 15 – and a boy, 14,  have been charged with occasioning actual bodily harm.

Wednesday will mark exactly one week since the gruesome video of students punching and kicking their colleague stirred up national outrage.

The attack was allegedly over an argument about a $15 bottle of hair spritz.

But the pain has only just begun for both Carrington and her daughter, with the mother disclosing that it has been a nightmare for her family since the attack.

“She [the daughter] is complaining for pain to her back, neck and to the head,” Carrington told Barbados TODAY.

The full extent of the child’s injuries remains unknown even after a battery of the tests on Saturday and four x-rays Monday.

Carrington and her daughter were expected to return to the doctor for more tests and treatment Tuesday, but the child was in too much pain to make the visit.

“She wasn’t able to walk today . . . and when she breathes in, she is experiencing pain in the chest.”

Carrington too is grappling with her own pain –– physical and emotional.

Since the incident she has not been able to eat or sleep and the only thing that keeps her going is her determination to see her child back on her feet.

“It will be a long period . . . yes, it is devastating, yes it is hurtful, but at the end of the day I have got to put my daughter first because she needs me,” the mother explained.

Carrington, who admitted that she had not watched the video or read or listened to news stories about the ordeal, said she had not yet felt outrage because her focus was on rebuilding her daughter’s life.

At the same time, she appealed for an end to bullying.

“Bullying is just wrong,” she sighed.

But while Carrington has refrained from lashing out at her daughter’s attackers, Barbadians have turned to social media to demand justice.

On the Barbados TODAY online platform, the Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) has come in for high praise for arresting and charging the alleged offenders, even as the public called for the students involved in the incident to be brought to justice.

“Thanks to the RBPF for a job well done and if there are any more to charge, teach them a lesson,” one poster said.

“All of the students should be charged,” argued another, while a significant number of commenters bemoaned bullying and other forms of deviant behavior in schools.

A chorus of condemnation has also come from officials who have called on authorities to take swift action to crack down on lawlessness in schools.

President of the Barbados National Council of Parent Teacher Association Shone Gibbs said: “What we are seeing is not normal, what we are seeing is untenable and it must be arrested in the interest of our country.”

Gibbs’ sentiments received some support from social worker and former head of Barbados Family Planning Association George Griffith who blamed the growing violent behavior exhibited by young people on a society which supports and practises corporal punishment.

“We teach children that you can hit and inflict pain and suffering when somebody tells you something wrong, but yet we say domestic violence is wrong and children should not be fighting on the streets or at school,” he lamented.

The child is not expected to return to school until next month, and Carrington said she was saddened that the fourth former, who has been preparing for promotion exams, had been handed this setback.

“She is not in a position to do exams now; I will have to meet with the headmaster to determine what’s next,” she said.

In the meantime, the family is receiving support from the active Lester Vaughan School Parent Teachers Association.

“We will do all we can to assist the mother and the daughter during this unfortunate ordeal,” President Donna Sealy told Barbados TODAY.

Carrington said she was grateful for the help, and expressed her gratitude to Barbadians.

“To all who are helping and trying to help, I thank them and I appreciate them for it,” she said.
sandydeane@barbadostoday.bb

52 Responses to In pain

1. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor May 24, 2017 at 2:39 am

She has been exposed to all of the cirriculum! She should be promoted on how she was faring before the incident! Otherwise, every student that pelted a cuff or kick into that child should stop down as well! Whether or not they pass their promotion exam!

• Marline Goodridge
      Marline Goodridge May 24, 2017 at 7:07 am

Sharon you talking about stop down and all a that they want to fight I will send all of them to the MIDDLE EAST let them fight down there I know they wouldn’t make it

• Linda Annie Parris Hoyte May 24, 2017 at 8:24 am

So true send them there.

2. Tony Webster May 24, 2017 at 2:42 am

the narrow path; the broad, easy, tempting way. The long slippery slope is clearly in view.
    We just have to choose what kind of Barbados we shall leave to our children.
    May God guide our health professionals, to quickly and fully restore this child’s health, and her happiness , and keep her mum strong too.

• Peter May 24, 2017 at 9:23 am

Tony Webster my Grenadian friend, Thank you wor what seems to me as the most wonderful, kind, thoughtful and meaningful comment regarding this matter. I was just skyping with a breakfast meeting with a group of Barbadians in Toronto. They all monitored this story. They included folks from all walks of life, plumbers, engineers, general workers, doctors, attorneys, business owners, the whole lot. One particular lady, a highly qualified, successful individual lamented the following….. ” What can Barbadians expect when your Minister of Social Welfare states openly that there will be a bloodbath, and blood will flow in the streets of Barbados? ” And the Prime minister nor no other of his Dear Loving People political grouping do not at least pull him aside and have a guiding word with him? This is a clear message to one and all in Barbados including school children and youths that crime is a normal thing accepted by most. I would venture to suggest that the relevant ministers. establish a mandatory co-curricular subject at least one period per week to discuss the wrongs of bullying and violence in every school in Barbados. As a young lad, I was taught that the BEST way to win an argument or fight was to stay out of one. A learned judge among that group endorsed a senior Magistrate’s condemnation of the incident and where that Magistrate said that the parents of the three classmate beaters should be hold some responsibility and they should jointly foot all the medical and counseling fees related to that particular incident. The Minister of Education must be more actively involved. I can go on but I will not write a speech as was done by Jennifer, who is herself, a dysfunctional rejected failure who discreetly promotes violence and revolt in her nonsensical comments.

3. Itz Queen
    Itz Queen May 24, 2017 at 2:52 am

Three and we’re is the other twenty,it was twenty three.

4. Jennifer May 24, 2017 at 3:26 am

This is a very unfortunate and heart felt case inflicted on this child. I will maintain that showing our children love from baby stage UPWARDS and ON-WARDS along with discussions on life and history in general and respect for self and others is better than this beating thing in the home. A lot of this cut pooh syndrome extends to personal relationships with partners aka domestic violence. cascading to broken homes/relationships, fatherless households, gang violence, drug use, not to mention cussing with family members and neighbors. Even in the work place. Just a mass of dysfunctional BS. And if you were lucky enough to escape all of the above you can count yourself lucky. I would bet that if this do little government had to conduct some research into those children involved in this mess you would see a very close pattern emerge to what I am talking about. Even to fight over a bottle of hair spritz is share rubbish. If they had their GOD GIVEN hair intact they would not need no spritz. Afro hair is the best on the earth for the regulation of temperature, keeping out radiation from the sun along with lice and other vermin due to its close and coiled strands. Go and look it up. This is the type of teaching in which these children also need>>>>>>>about self. Which is pertinent to their development as self loving beings. But these kids and this people have been taught to love the beast and hate themselves. Make a guess who should be blamed in all of this conundrum. I am wishing this kiddy a speedy recovery. For the mother, please ensure that this child gets some counseling as the children at school will most likely talk about her for months to come and who wants to go back to this environment.

• Jennifer May 24, 2017 at 3:31 am

Mum, please stay strong. One day at a time will be the best cure.

5. Jennifer May 24, 2017 at 3:36 am

Now that the cane crop is in full swing they should be put into the cane ground and leave the harvester in the yard. Learn your ancestors and current history and then move from there. Let them go project their anger the right place.

6. Nursey May 24, 2017 at 4:18 am

I thought when that Princess Margaret boy lost his life this would have been a lesson. Smh smh. Wunna see my lil boy and don’t see he hear!!!! It wouldn’t be this easy!!!!!

7. Bradg May 24, 2017 at 5:16 am

Glad to hear action is being taken against the children involved, and wish the young student and her mother a speedy recovery. Can’t imagine what they are going through.

I see videos almost every week of school children fighting, mostly in classrooms. Always seem to be certain schools. Never seen fighting at St.Winifred’s and others like it. Why is this?? Cant be that they dont have phones or don’t know how to fight.

8. Patsy Yearwood
    Patsy Yearwood May 24, 2017 at 5:28 am

No bail

9. Lola May 24, 2017 at 5:41 am

Expell them from school. Let them parents Find other means of education for them.When you go private school and you play the ass you are expelled before you can even say your name properly both primary and secondary.So in order for children to understanding show them the severity of the consequences they actions have.

10. Raquel Natasha
    Raquel Natasha May 24, 2017 at 6:05 am

This child needs to be admitted to the hospital. Call the ambulance and get her admitted.

11. nickkk May 24, 2017 at 6:12 am

Now you see why parents are choosing private schools over public schools.

Furthermore, those who have been identified and charged should be made to pay at $2000 each to the court for this child and parent- to help with medical expenses etc.

12. Lorraine L Ferguson
    Lorraine L Ferguson May 24, 2017 at 6:22 am

Barbados wake up get all involved not some all and punish let it be a lesson to all school children that the behaviour displayed will not be tolerated in Bim

• Di Clarke May 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Well said. Adults as well need to set by example, sadly RESPECT is lacking in all sections of our society.

13. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith May 24, 2017 at 6:43 am

I just love this mom,she is so focus on the child I give her so much love for that,because if it was me I would either be in jail or the mental.

14. Cynthia Bee
    Cynthia Bee May 24, 2017 at 6:44 am

Jeniffer , the same thought ran through my mind. As regards Hair Style I said , yes they have a uniform , despite of the fact it is not worn correctly but it is that so no competition. But the Hair we have all be fighting that we can do what we want. ,when w attended Two Ribbons had to be in place ,, even for work it had to be a Certain Way. , on weekend you going to Wedding or Party you did ,life was rough but simple. … Trust that she regains full recovery.even though it is going to be long ,, as the Mom continues to be strong

• jennifer May 24, 2017 at 8:09 am

Mind you on u tube have numerous georgeous black women showing how to deal with natural Afro hair. Mine is long and lovely. No trouble at all, and I love it.

15. Marline Goodridge
    Marline Goodridge May 24, 2017 at 7:01 am

Now this is my way of dealing with this matter I don’t care who their parents are I would deal with them like middle age adults you know why if I had pelt down she licks on my fifteen year old POLICE and CHILD CARE BOARD would hunt me down that same night .Their say a child belongs to society well let society deal with them and do big because if it was me their would not have feeling for me

16. Alex Alleyne May 24, 2017 at 7:03 am

“GOTCHA”.

17. Omiana Miller Angela Miller
    Omiana Miller Angela Miller May 24, 2017 at 7:04 am

I just don’t get these young kids and how I see it they don’t care but as they get older in life they regreat things.

18. Denise Bull
    Denise Bull May 24, 2017 at 7:36 am

Hopefully her actions being splashed over the world will make her think twice next time before bullying a class mate. But let’s not forget she is only a young girl, so don’t be to hard on her, she still has a lot of growing up to do. I hope the girl being bullied is OK.

19. Jack Ryan
    Jack Ryan May 24, 2017 at 7:52 am

LAWSUIT PLZ, GET A HUNGRY ASS LAWYER THAT WILL FIGHT FOR HIS MEAL TICKET…PARENTS NEED TO HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THESE LITTLE RUGRATS ACTIONS

20. Yvette Fenty
    Yvette Fenty May 24, 2017 at 7:52 am

I think all who were involved…beating..videotaping etc….they should all pay the price….and be made to.do community work and try to raise money to help that young lady they abused.

21. Juan Dottin
    Juan Dottin May 24, 2017 at 8:01 am

I hope these girls in St Lucy and that boy in St Philip…make an example out of this. Children got to learn hard way. Boot Camp needed in Barbados and where are the children parents? Ya mean none was man or woman enough to address some media and made an apology. Now we know how these get so…pride and all these children in the neighbourhood know is go for a sword or gun to solve an issue. Parents step up man…we running things not them. Thank God i have a 24 n 15 yr who keep far from trouble. They know their parents limitations. Not in here.

22. Nadeen Deon
    Nadeen Deon May 24, 2017 at 8:04 am

Them want dodds, not Summerville…DODDS

23. Riri Babepooh Steele
    Riri Babepooh Steele May 24, 2017 at 8:06 am

I feels this girl n mums pain that had me lick up when I saw that video tears fled down my cheeks why would one do their own so i hope she recovers soon mum jus keep prayin and be there for her we will all keep praying for her .so she b well and can do her exams

24. Riri Babepooh Steele
    Riri Babepooh Steele May 24, 2017 at 8:07 am

Then want locking up in prison with the adults not even d one for children
    Let them see how it is and make them parents face those medical bills and charge everyone not some

25. Eleanor Blackett
    Eleanor Blackett May 24, 2017 at 8:12 am

Well said..

26. Peter May 24, 2017 at 8:13 am

Parenting is part of the problem. And to Mr. Griffith corporal punishment is not the issue as you portray it. It is my opinion that it is the lack of corporal punishment that has caused our society to become so ill disciplined. The lack of parents teaching their children wrong from right. Before when you did not get disciplined at home you got it at school but the laws and society has evolved to a point where teachers are no longer allowed to do so out of fear in some cases and the laws in others. We are no longer a caring society.

27. Victoria May 24, 2017 at 8:30 am

“We teach children that you can hit and inflict pain and suffering WHEN SOMEBODY TELLS YOU SOMETHING WRONG” …..so, it’s okay to injure, abuse and break the law on an Assumption, just don’t do it to your Partner?
    Dear Lord it must be so confusing growing up with so many contradictions and mixed messages.

28. Peter May 24, 2017 at 8:48 am

Again, my comment was discreetly rejected and dumped by the IT person at Barbados Today. I am knowledgeable enough with this technology to know when it is applied. actually my computer is outfitted with a program application to detect this. It also tells me when the error notice appears after I post my comments.

29. CaHall May 24, 2017 at 8:53 am

I wonder what long term effects this young lady will suffer from that brutal beating? Those children’s parents should come together pay all medical and phycological expenses to heal this child back to normal,

30. lester May 24, 2017 at 9:19 am

If the principal is still that colonel i glad for he cause when my son was attack he and the resident beat officer hide it up the bully was to be charge but becasue of sponsors nearby the police and the principal colluded not to charge the boy let he deal with this

31. Jacky May 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

This child needs to be admitted to the hospital for further evaluation. If she was in too much paid to make a doctors appointment, then something is seriously wrong. In light of the circumstances surrounding her injuries she should not be turned away due to cost, nor should mom have to foot the bill.

32. Milli Watt May 24, 2017 at 9:47 am

the attorney general and the minister should open their homes to these model citizens…………what say you brath and jonesey

33. F.A.Rudder May 24, 2017 at 10:04 am

Those student that carried out such behavior will be documented by the Ministry if Education and their records established for the remainder of their living life! Employment will be extremely hard to find globally due to the Face Book posting! They have established their destiny at a very early age! No one made those choices but themselves. A pretty hard life to live when their fb record is pulled up globally!

34. janette reifer May 24, 2017 at 10:20 am

My daughter was being bullied by a family friend at Primary school because she received a Sub-prefect badge.
    I stepped in time to put an end to it.
    She had a gang so my daughter stayed in the class room and didn’t go on the pasture to play.
    Bullying was around for a long time…Believe it or not!

35. janette reifer May 24, 2017 at 10:21 am

I stepped in time to put an end to it.
    Bullying was around for a long time…Believe it or not!

36. Former student May 24, 2017 at 11:13 am

At least she get satisfaction
    I didn’t n I get beat just like her
    But she had a retarded reason y she got beaten up
    I had none
    N I still suffer from my head injuries
    But I hope she pull through

37. Tinman May 24, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I know if it was my daughter d fire truck would still b battling house fires trying to get them out

38. jrsmith May 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm

These young people know what their are doing , look at lots of parents how they behave , but lets see the outcome…………….

39. Jessica francois May 24, 2017 at 3:11 pm

All i will say if my child home in pain yours gine be in qeh with them hand clean off its that simple i only want one of the children by the school gate as them entering to go and bully someone.

40. Jea Alleyne May 24, 2017 at 6:19 pm

So sad, a lack of self-love, therefore there is no love for others. Incidentally, there are situations in the home where some children also lack attention and love, not condoning the behaviour of the children but “some” parents do not know how to parent. Some parents favourtise certain children which can cause a lack of self-esteem or self-worth which can be inflicted on others. We can see how early “some” children start to show a lack of respect for others. Bullying is paramount in “some” families and is encouraged by “some” parents getting the children to scapegoat the most vulnerable……. rather than raising individuals to take responsibility for their actions….

I wonder how many adults stop and think about how they behave, they are role models for the younger generation and need to be aware how their think and act in front of youngsters.

41. Brandie Butler May 24, 2017 at 6:28 pm

All of them who beat up that young lady should be charged and furthermore, they should be expelled from school. One must suffer the consequences of one’s actions..

42. lime juice May 24, 2017 at 9:32 pm

A pack of vagabonds no class no culture no pedgree no common sense

43. Elle May 24, 2017 at 10:22 pm

I pray that she gets through this….i honestly do.
    Satisfaction from this system is hard to get and you will have to get the patience of Job to get through the time you most certainly have to drag through,God knows im still waiting on mine.I thank the Most High that i didnt loose my child but hopefully i will see justice served for mine and yours…

44. DENNISGIBSON May 24, 2017 at 10:24 pm

AS A MAN AND A FATHER, I’M ASKING ONE QUESTION WHERE IS THE FATHER’S VOICE IN ALL THIS. FATHERS SEEMS TO TAKE A BACK SEAT IN THESE KIND OF MATTERS. I AM A GRAND FATHER HAVE 4 GRAND DAUGHTERS AND,ANY BODY MESS WITH MY GRANDS THIS KIND OF WAY, WILL SURELY BE LOOKING TO BE DISMEMBERED.

45. Cynthia May 25, 2017 at 5:35 am

Don’t just look at the children look at the parents and you will get your answers to the anger being displayed them.