Security guard admits to stealing on the job

A presentencing report has been ordered into the life of a female security guard who admitted to stealing from her employer over the weekend.

Chantel Sharika Alicia Drakes of Forde’s Road, Clapham Drive, St Michael told Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant in the District ‘A’ Criminal Court today that she stole a bottle of Baileys liqueur; three packs of crackers; two tins of sausages; a tin of luncheon meat; two tins of tuna; a box of milk; two packs of Kiss cakes; four packs of coffee mix; and two packs of cheese valued at $120.25, belonging to Coco Express Limited, on Saturday.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Cameron Gibbons told the court that the 23-year-old, who was assigned to the Coconut Court Hotel where Coco Express gift shop is located, was observed putting the goods from the establishment into her lunch bag and later throwing them on the hotel’s garden.

The police were summoned and Drakes was interviewed and admitted to taking the items.

In addressing the magistrate, Drakes explained that she works four eight-hour days per week and had been asking for extra hours, but was not getting them

“I have to pay a loan and credit card,” she told the court.

“So you decided to relieve your employer of these items?” Cuffy-Sargeant questioned, to which the woman replied: “I just went and took up the stuff.”

The magistrate also gave Drakes some advice about credit cards.

“It is not a grant; it is a loan with interest. If you can’t pay, leave the people credit card alone.”

She then ordered the presentencing report, granted Drakes bail in the sum of $500 with one surety, and a warning to stay off all Coco Express premises.

She returns to court on July 17.

73 Responses to Security guard admits to stealing on the job

1. Soffina Solomon
    Soffina Solomon May 23, 2017 at 7:06 am

Who will guard de guards? ???

2. Mia Franklyn
    Mia Franklyn May 23, 2017 at 7:10 am

Whitney Weekes Shan Shan Boyce

3. Dennis Taitt
    Dennis Taitt May 23, 2017 at 7:10 am

Hmm. Sad

4. Maria T Holdipp
    Maria T Holdipp May 23, 2017 at 7:12 am

Girl you stupid much… If your employer decides now to fire you, how will you pay for the loan and credit cards again? Try living within your means, too much of us have champagne mouths and mauby pockets… But then again will the things you stole pay for the loan and credit cards?

• Rishona Graham
      Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 8:53 am

Maria seriously many people are using credit cards to survive not only her!! She stupid you was going to feed her!! The standard of living has increased significantly because your in a better position dont mean you should call her stupid. I hope all your loans serviced and bills up to date !! A breadfruit sells for $18 and that’s basic ground provisions expensive light expensive road tax you wrong for calling her stupid!!

• Adrian M Chase
      Adrian M Chase May 23, 2017 at 9:05 am

Rishona Graham why don’t you stop bringing logic to these discussions?

• Maria Roach May 23, 2017 at 10:37 am

I agree with you. She is stupid too.

• Maria T Holdipp
      Maria T Holdipp May 23, 2017 at 10:32 am

Sweetheart I live within my means… Cause I ain’t going to jail, sorry… I’m not in a better position but I have my pride… I rather ask for help than to have my name and face plaster in the papers or in the news for people to judge me, hence the reason I say she’s stupid.. What did she gain by stealing, did she get to use any of the stuff she took up… No right, so what was the point again? No I don’t have loans neither do I own no one for nothing because as I say I try very hard to live within my means as an unemployed person.

5. Christopher Foster
    Christopher Foster May 23, 2017 at 7:28 am

So embarrassing..

6. Taurus Bull
    Taurus Bull May 23, 2017 at 7:39 am

Well she just stupid, unintelligent and greedy.

• Rishona Graham
      Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 9:03 am

How she greedy!?!? Flow ain’t greedy Sagicor ain’t greedy she employer ain’t greedy and how she unintelligent she hungry stop labeling the woman as anything else!!

• Celly May 23, 2017 at 3:36 pm

So we should go out and steal because based on your perception corporations steal?? She is “unintelligent” because poor people have been feeding themselves for years without stealing.

• hcalndre May 26, 2017 at 3:08 am

@ Celly; Say how poor people can feed themselves and most likely their children in Barbados? with pride, right? Someone said a breadfruit grown in Barbados cost $18, a chicken grown in Barbados, the size of a pigeon $20 plus, she did not stole no name brand cloths, as alleged, it was food. Check out the price of one of the can sausages and I`ll bet that it is more than what she makes an hour.

• Samantha Johnson May 23, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Lol Rishona Graham…..who steals Balieys when they are hungry?????

• Taurus Bull
      Taurus Bull May 23, 2017 at 9:13 am
  7. Raw Bryan
    Raw Bryan May 23, 2017 at 7:41 am

She went skool with me

8. Emerald Stevens
    Emerald Stevens May 23, 2017 at 7:57 am

They want to live big life .when u see some body jumping dont go and jump like them u are going to hurt u’r self . N sorry for her

9. Emerald Stevens
    Emerald Stevens May 23, 2017 at 7:58 am

If she have kids yes sorry for the kids . They are going to get beat up on in school

• Rishona Graham
      Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am

People getting beat up for hair spritz so food can’t be nothing!

10. Sherla Gilkes
    Sherla Gilkes May 23, 2017 at 8:07 am

These people stupid or what.?you guys are suppose to set examples what the hell some of these guards n peoplein similar positions think tho.

11. Alex Reece
    Alex Reece May 23, 2017 at 8:09 am

Buen Corazon come look Emeralds Berry

12. Sheila Reece
    Sheila Reece May 23, 2017 at 8:24 am

So you can’t tell a guard to hold on here while you take a shirt break, who do you trust?

13. Dave Person
    Dave Person May 23, 2017 at 8:24 am

Lol who should be charged is the people that is pay guards minimum wage.

• Rishona Graham
      Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 8:58 am

Yes I agree with you Dave them is the true wicked people and then to charge her giving her scratch grain ! Not that we condone theft but the woman hungry !! You think the company would have feed her no . All types of restaurants go and throw away the food before they give employees. A popular fast food restaurant and people don’t work 40 hour shifts sometimes no ketchup when you ask for extra them angry when I found out that’s what management tells them to do any extra scoop or half scoop of icecream they have to pay for that really hurt me to hear that . So we the people have the power and need to exercise it . If you don’t treat your employees well I don’t patronize as much until I don’t at all!!

14. Tracy Brown
    Tracy Brown May 23, 2017 at 8:29 am

Stupss wanna bout here judging an tearing down the woman an nuff a wanna tief like….unuh just nuh get ketch yet

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor May 23, 2017 at 10:53 am

The baileys tho! No need for that!

• Tracy Brown
      Tracy Brown May 23, 2017 at 10:56 am

True no need for it but hey we’re human beings…..poor girl probly never taste Bailey’s before

15. Rudy Griffith
    Rudy Griffith May 23, 2017 at 8:40 am

Stealing on the job is an old tradition in Barbados.
    Ask your older relatives.

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor May 23, 2017 at 11:02 am

It was called being able to live! They never took more than they need or nonsense like baileys! A little bit of sugar, a little bit of salt, a pigtail, a tin of sardines, a little bit of breeze! Never all at one time… Just when needed, never to sell but the neighbour may still receive a pinch of sugar! Seems like she was shopping to me!

• Rudy Griffith
      Rudy Griffith May 23, 2017 at 11:08 am

Yes. I do agree. Stealing from the job was also called “progues”.

16. Kevin Cave
    Kevin Cave May 23, 2017 at 8:45 am

This is a good example of the ridiculous earnings of the average person, and the power it has.

Why would someone who’s working need to steal to get by huh?

People who got it better will judge, people who are doing all they can and still coming up short will understand.

Those riots, those riots.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD May 23, 2017 at 10:00 am

Ok, it is still wrong at the end of the day and there is still nothing wrong with people judging her.

She said she had a credit card and a loan………what were these for? No one was dying and she din steal medication to save their lives……is she in necessary debt or debt due to keeping up wid de joneses?

She has a menial job, so, either go back to school and do some cxcs if she does not have sufficient, do it part time…..apply for another job…….apply for a second job. You don’t tell the judge you have credit card and lona bills, hence you stealing food- That is not a good enough reason if reasons for stealing got you off the hook.

Don’t blame de job.

• hcalndre May 26, 2017 at 3:20 am

@Willz RD; all you have said sounds great, change the job, go back to school, do part time, when she even asked the boss for a few more hours and one thing that you have forgotten is that its Barbados you`re speaking of.

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor May 23, 2017 at 10:51 am

LOL. At Willz RD It’s so funny to see how you all generally put down ppl and their occupations… So because ya izza security guard that means ya aint got na CXCs? Pop down mentality tho! I am a security officer with maths and english at a grade 2, history, accounts, human and social bio and bio at grade ones! That is 4 grade ones and 2 grade twos! I suppose to go and stick up an employer to get a better job, or learn to be contented with my 3 cents… Stop judging ppl because of their jobs… I have encountered many an idiot in way better paying jobs than I have! But I will not steal to keep my head above the water! I will continue to cut and contrive wid ma couple of odd cents that I am paid! Little with content is a great gain!

• hcalndre May 26, 2017 at 3:27 am

@Sharon Taylor; tell that to the politicians that with $10.000 more in the bank is great gain and they do not steal.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD May 23, 2017 at 11:34 am

Sharon Taylor, we could both dally in a circuitous rant of denial, but, you and i know that the majority of security have little to no cxcs etc. I am not going to act as tho someone working as a guard isn’t only there because they are not qualified to work elsewhere. In my line of work, i have hired and fired security companies since 2006 and this is based on all the security companies in bim- and i have had many if not , thousands of one on one conversations where guards wish to better themselves but they have no secondary level qualifications. Guards, cleaners, garderners, coconut sellers- I am not pulling down anyone, just pointing out the reality.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD May 23, 2017 at 11:39 am

I never specifically said she did not have cxcs. I said she can either go back to school and get cxcs, find another job or etc. I was basically saying she could explore her options instead of stealing.

Me saying she could go back to school does not imply that all security guards do not have cxcs….it does not negate my point……and i am not telling u to do anything- and judging someone because of their job was never a bad thing- you need to relax. All i am saying is that there are options. Why haven’t you stolen groceries as yet? why haven’t you robbed a bank up to now? That is my point.

The fact that people who make more money and still steal is irrelevant…that is not the issue here. The issue is that some people with low end jobs will often steal because they do not make enough money and they try to live beyond their means n some cases.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD May 23, 2017 at 11:41 am

The majority always outweighs the minority and security firms in bim hire anyone with no cxcs etc because they can then subject them to unjust remuneration packages.

• Willz RD
      Willz RD May 23, 2017 at 11:42 am

And an airport security guard, a response and monitoring security guard, a dispatch security guard…..are all different to one who is assigned to guard a shop etc.

17. Rishona Graham
    Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 8:50 am

The magistrate tell the woman if she can’t pay leave the people things alone . Like magistrate never had debt!!! Theft is wrong but she vex me for the baileys the sausages and luncheon meat seriously people on the island are hungry and suffering that’s a fact . And not only in the lower classes I’m sure they are many empty pools in homes or not being serviced well . If this lady has any children she can’t afford to feed them they go to school angry and hungry then they more than likely turn out to be bullies and can’t learn cause them hungry.

18. Shalese Roach
    Shalese Roach May 23, 2017 at 8:51 am

Jada Deneè

19. Sarah Jones
    Sarah Jones May 23, 2017 at 8:51 am

Gives security guards a bad name.

20. Alejuandro Tezu
    Alejuandro Tezu May 23, 2017 at 8:57 am

Get a 2nd job or do a hobby on de side to make extra money nails hair selling food like oistins does but not steal and lose yah job and have a record where other business may not risk hiring u

21. Rishona Graham
    Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 8:59 am

Them don’t cry down the Ministers the woman just following examples set by so called respectable people in society

22. Hellkat Sweetz
    Hellkat Sweetz May 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

All these minor cases can be tried once and stop back up the system

23. Rishona Graham
    Rishona Graham May 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

Police , teachers firemen and guards should be paid well point blank !! But no they only want to pay heads of large corporations and statutory boards money and give them perks cause dem don’t tief!!!

24. Philippa Joseph
    Philippa Joseph May 23, 2017 at 9:07 am

The hustle is real but poor girl stealing and getting caught is undue stress to add to the hustle

25. MIIB May 23, 2017 at 9:50 am

You people make me sick to the stomach. Acting all cosmopolitan. I have worked in my youth from West To South and yes, the staff will have you for not eating. This is not directed towards the guest but towards the establishment. They never treat you right, and many moons eago I asked for a raise at a top notch Mariner and was taken to an office and shown a drawer full of applications and was told basically shut up do the work for chips, your not irreplaceable when they creaming it and paying us crap. At that point i was done with hospitality, holding chairs, smiling when i feel like crap and playing a part. When Guest was tipping me jus as much as my pay? Dont add up. Jus pay people decent would solve a lot of problems.

I recently stayed there just last week and do you now the only consistent assistance I got was from this young lady who is security. Thank you. I know you are reading this.

She has a pleasant personality and was very welcoming and I appreciated that. Making millions, hundreds of thousands of pounds that is shipped straight to EU and switzerland and paying the staff penance with the new slavery plantations regime.

I am not condoning what she did but you all act like you all live in glass houses willing to tear down and enable destruction rather than seeing the positive and building. Do you know how she was pushed in that corner to do that? So what she took a few things was caught and is now paying the piper. Expensive 2-3 star place as I don’t book only on recommendation and got duped.

Madam I know you reading this and the Rasta man that was their a week ago with the nubian queen. You assisted me when all was hiding. Thanks. You will bounce back as the general barbadian populace has never made a mistake ever. They al have imaginary eurocentric halos. To those that believe she is the worst for making a mistake and the feeble excuse provided, i pray you don’t end up on the wrong side of the law. You lack compassion and empathy. You will condemn a female to death for a bottle of baileys and knick knacks. Food you know? Not a safe? Or enable people to create armed robbery, food n drink? And you will condemn her.

smh. Time is funny you know. Member dat

26. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn May 23, 2017 at 9:52 am

How she is going to pay bills now. Maybe from the stuff that she stolen before. Only God knows how long she has been stealing from that business.

27. Joan Brome
    Joan Brome May 23, 2017 at 9:57 am

Stupid.ass woman

28. BajanMiss May 23, 2017 at 10:01 am

Stealing is wrong – that is the bottom line.

29. Carol Grant Cumberbatch
    Carol Grant Cumberbatch May 23, 2017 at 10:35 am

I am not saying that what she did was right, but why we like to shame the small man, and hide the real thieves.

30. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor May 23, 2017 at 10:53 am

U dirty! Good God ma belly!

31. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith May 23, 2017 at 11:26 am

First thing first,if yuh struggling yuh don’t need a credit card,forget about that,I don’t know the situation about the loan but,if you did not borrow for something significant,that too is a waste of time.
    Will not cry down the security job,but all I can say it is a lot of long hours and these people are poorly paid,but that being said still did not give her the right too steal.

32. Marilyn C Fields
    Marilyn C Fields May 23, 2017 at 11:50 am

This is reality.. Example of poor wages..still you can’t stop people from taking what’s not there’s to take..it’s just part of surviving

33. Annetta Paul
    Annetta Paul May 23, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Can employers in Barbados pay their employees whatever they feel like? I am wondering, is there a mandatory pay scale for each job? Does the Labor Board not look into these matters with regards to unfair salary? When employees are unhappy with their salary these kinds of things happens. Then Employers wonder why their business are suffering. How hard it is to smile, greet people and be enthusiastic about your job (every day) if your Employers are being unfair. Not saying this is the case here, but often times some employers can do a lot more for their employees. When you walk into an Establishment you can FEEL if the employees are being treated like a family or like slaves. Customers want to be in a place where employees are courteous and welcoming but employees can only pretend for so long. NO ONE wants to go into a place where there is tension and they do not feel welcome. I wonder what the service in this place is like. No one can say she is right for stealing but what if this is not the first time she stole, WHAT IF other employees are also stealing, just not being caught? It maybe impossible to watch the staff every minute of the day. At the end of the day, this situation should be an oportunity for the Employer to learn if anything BETTER can be done for the remainding employees…if only for reasons to prevent them for stealing from their workplace. Nobody wins when this happens.

34. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer May 23, 2017 at 12:20 pm

L

35. Rudy Griffith
    Rudy Griffith May 23, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Don’t y’all steal from your damn low paying jobs ?
    Y’all lying, lemme see that bigass handbag, then !

36. Bajan First May 23, 2017 at 2:21 pm

This country has far too many people who believe that stealing from those who they view as having more as ok! I have heard persons cursing at others who refused to engage in stealing from their employers! One man with support from most around him suggested that if these persons did not wish to steal they should leave the job and let persons who know how to steal get the jobs! I have no reason to believe that these thieves do not share their philosophy with their children and other members of their families .

37. herbert reynold May 23, 2017 at 5:20 pm

It is very easy to judge but do we really no the cercumstandses their out there wwo r stealing every day who did not get Vought up with yet but she will have to bare the consequences for her deeds .i

38. Mikey May 23, 2017 at 7:34 pm

The type of items she stole and being the owner of a Credit Card is an indication that she is living above her means, needs counselling with the hope that she can reconstruct her living standards.
    SHE SIMPLY NEEDS HELP, NOT JAIL OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT .
    SHE SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY FOR THE STOLEN ITEMS AND BE GIVEN PROBATION.
    MY HEART BLEEDS FOR HER. SHE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE, ESPECIALLY IF SHE IS THE MOTHER OF CHILDREN.

39. Jeffrey durant May 23, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Stupid dont mean to are not smart or intelligent actually it does.
    It mean u know better but choose to do silly things.

40. Jillian Bakker May 23, 2017 at 8:37 pm

When u don’t have much to feed u pickles, and you try the legal way with no help, wat you want her to do? I guess she didn’t think things thru cos inspite of the age she is still immature. Z bond is more than what she stole. Then the finest and court costs going to add up. Guess she may not doing again, but then again who knows

41. Trayvonne Callender May 23, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Her work career done then . Cause everybody seeing this and the people put her whole name in the article oml . You messed up love .

42. jenoavah May 23, 2017 at 11:21 pm

i am a guard for 18yrs now…an i have work around alot of tins..mmim not sayin everybody is d same…i have neva once see sumtin i want an cant have…caz i dose cut my eyes at tins i cant afford to by……now i dose work in a popular store in town an dey was times i had no lunch money an i went an ask d store owner for lunch an he gave me…..an i works wid a private company….an anytime i work in town d owner always request me to work in dey caz im 1 of d most trusted an devoted guard…..so she have no excuse for wat she did….she cud have ask sumbody for the tins an get a bill write up dat she can pay bk in parts….only makes other guarda luk badd

43. Johnathan May 24, 2017 at 6:56 am

If you don’t know how to theif from the store you working in without getting caught how can yo catch a theif when he comes in. She stupid as hell….