Comissiong’s voice should be heard says Grant

Social activist David Comissiong is getting support from an unlikely backer in his ongoing legal challenge to the construction of the 15-storey Hyatt Centric hotel at Bay Street, The City.

Democratic Labour Party (DLP) candidate for St Michael South East Rodney Grant today applauded Comissiong’s activism, while suggesting that Government should have engaged the attorney-at-law on his concerns about the US$100 million property before it reached the courts.

Minister of Housing Denis Kellman told a recent sitting of Parliament that anyone who stood in the way of the multi-million dollar project “should be seen as an enemy not only of the state, but must be seen as an enemy to the people” living in the London Bourne Towers near the site of the proposed hotel, a clear reference to Comissiong who has obtained an injunction halting work on the project while he awaits a legal review of Prime Minister Freundel Stuart’s approval of the project without first conducting an environmental impact assessment.

In an apparent split from Kellman, Grant said if Comissiong’s position were representative of the public’s concern his voice should be heard.

“Any level of activism is healthy for society and it is important to always have opposite voices. I really don’t have a problem with opposite voices. I think it is important to engage those differences and those voices and it is unfortunate that this particular situation has gone to the law court. Maybe we should have engaged the voice before it got to that level,” he said as he responded to questions after delivering today’s DLP lunchtime
lecture.

“What I would say if it is a legitimate voice of the people then let it be heard. If it is the legitimate voice of the people then we can’t just shut it down just for opposition sake. That is not what democracy is about. Democracy is something we have to protect, it is the last thing we have,” he added

Himself a social activist, Grant, the chief executive officer of Pinelands Creative Workshop, also put the Stuart administration on notice that he had no intention of allowing his new political life to overshadow his dedication to social activism.

“There can’t be no conflict of interest because there is only one Rodney Grant. I can’t be in conflict with myself; I could only be true to myself. So I can’t be one person today and a different person tomorrow. Those who would have known me from the time I was small growing up, my narrative has been the same and will always be the same,” he pointed out.

32 Responses to Comissiong’s voice should be heard says Grant

1. Pullhead Davis
    Pullhead Davis May 20, 2017 at 12:21 am

You getting drop just now

2. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer May 20, 2017 at 12:26 am

I keep saying that Kellman is a clown. He needs a bridle on his mouth.

3. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba May 20, 2017 at 1:24 am

WELL U’LL BE DEEM AN E.O.T.S TOO BY YOUR COUNTER PART, LOOK OUT FOR THE BACK LASH MA BRO

4. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 1:47 am

Rodney, I am so glad that you have stayed true to yourself. The SSS have not made any comment regarding your entry into politics because I know you are in it for all the right reasons. Wish Derryck would enter elective politics under a DLP card as well. You guys do not have to prove yourselves; you have been doing community work from the days you were orchestrating early computer training for members in the community and beyond as well as keeping skills training programmes ongoing. I remembered my father speaking highly of you and because of that, you were supported by him. Will not say in what way.
    The DLP needs new, intelligent, and trust worthy blood to revitalize it and to purge it from the current upsetters that have tarnish its reputation.
    I am glad that you could reason the Hyatt matter with sense and see the effort of Commisiong as not an obstruction but more so a determination to ensure that Hyatt has follow all legal obligations and requirements to ensure its feasibility and effect upon its surrounding environs. The jackass Kellman and the immoral Stuart have no sense of duty to Barbadians. Their impunity only exist because Barbadians are afraid and passive to take a stand.The DLP under Stuart has been relegated to a party of night foraging rats and squealing pigs. At least one has dared to stand in the gap for all Barbadians. As a result, Hyatt is now subject to legal review and this might ensure that it adheres to all technical and legal requirements for such a large impactful project.
    Hopefully in a few years we will see the backs of deceitful imbeciles like Kellman, Stuart, Lashley, Inniss, Sinckler, Brathwaithe, Blackette, in fact all of them the loan exeception being Estwick.
    Let new blood come into the DLP party to take it forward. Down with the crooks in the DLP party hail to Rodney and all other newbies coming now and in the distant future to make the DLP right again.

5. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall May 20, 2017 at 4:34 am

Kellie enemy.

6. Angela Howard-Graham
    Angela Howard-Graham May 20, 2017 at 5:50 am

please do not vote.x for grant he is a Sheep in wolf cholthing

7. Harry May 20, 2017 at 6:52 am

I knew a man who said of his 3 sons, one is a sheep in wolf’s clothing, another was a wolf in sheep’s clothing, and the last a sheep in sheep’s clothing!

8. Itz Queen
    Itz Queen May 20, 2017 at 6:58 am

NO! you int rideing on commissiong jacket tail.

9. Lee R May 20, 2017 at 7:06 am

I fear my brother that if you feel this way about this project, you should run as an independent. You cannot be on the DLP team and not support their projects.

10. Zeus May 20, 2017 at 7:28 am

I remember doing comprehension at school an I have read this article about four times trying to see where in this article Mr Grant is backing commissiong and I can’t see it …..Mr Grant is simply saying if Commissiong’s voice is the voice of the people then it should be entertain ….he then stresses on what is democracy and what is occurring with the Hyatt issue is democracy …..commissiong is entitled to his opinion ….mr grant is entitled to his and last but not least mr kellman is entitled to his

11. Milli Watt May 20, 2017 at 8:18 am

hmmmmmmmmmmm………………BRAVE!!!!!!!!!

12. Alex Alleyne May 20, 2017 at 9:11 am

Politics do have strange bed fellows. You will notice that all the DLP’s who are leaving or bad mouthing the party are now saying that the Main man was WINTER CRAWFORD and not EWB who paved the way forward for Barbados. The only thing Kelly good for is saying “Mr. Speaker Sir”. Another clown is Mr. Foot in mouth , AG. Paying them is a waste of tax payers money.

13. Black Diamond May 20, 2017 at 9:53 am

I like this man! Country over party.

14. Peter May 20, 2017 at 10:31 am

Tactics. I smell a rat. here. Rodney Grant is a replacement candidate at this point. He, among other DEMs knows the DLP won’t be forming the next government of Barbados and his chances are zilch. He is using Comissiong and his song and dance about Hyatt is all fake. Reverse psychology as it is known. David is an educated man who if only he could stop using negativity to promote himself and get visibility, he would be looked at in a more serious light and not popular by low life Barbadians who are hoping to win the lotto to become bopular themselves. The command center in George Street knows and endorses all this. It is called political strategizing. Trump used it successfully.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 1:41 pm

If you knew the Rodney Grant you will not write what you wrote.

• Peter May 20, 2017 at 3:01 pm

No I don’t Know Rodney Grant. But If what he says is true, then he is a fake and being used. You Sunny sunshine are not as deep as you think you are either. I sat and discoursed with many politicians from both sides, Including Tom Adams a Scotish Mason and Errol Barrow. a Prince Hall mason. Intelligence supreme. Grant is light years behind. so too are you.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Peter

Deep! Deep as I think I am? What are you on, moron juice? What is wrong with you darn people? You think I am here to express how I deep I am? You think I am here to boast about intelligence? You think all that I am doing is to talk about how many politicians from what and what shyte masonic lodge I sat with from both sides and discourse over? You flipping nitwit. I do not care about none of the above. I am here because I want the rot, the shyte, the exploitation, the lies, the thievery, the fradulence, and the rich rewards call deals and draw backs to come to an end under means put in place to ensure that it comes to an end. You think I am here for me! I am here protesting for the future of Barbados under governance that will work for all people. What the so so are you here for? If these so call politicians that you have sat down with are all supreme inteligence why the azz are we in this predicament today? Why have the intelligence of these men not propell Barbados beyond tourism dependency to something more sustainable and profitable? Why are all of their names associated with some form dubious undertakings. Jesus Lord have mercy. Where does our duty to country take centre stage over our loyalty to shyte parties? Answer those questions for me Mr Mighty Intelligence that sat down with Scottish Masons and Prince Hall Masons. You still sitting with them?

• Peter May 20, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Your response reflects your shallow density. You are an unlearned man who needs to travel and read more. You have exhibited the qualities od styro foam and cork. lots of volume and less density. Actually Jennifer the jackass is also picking up your rage she is like salt ashe is in everybody’s soup. she travelwd once in her life. To London where she exposed her failure considerably, then she returns with an English impurile accent trying to fool Bajans she has class. I invited her to a meeting in London in August. I can’t wait.

• Jennifer May 20, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Listen Pi$$y Peter. I am not a f*** to do with you and SSS conversation. You like the F****** salt you obnoxious chauvinistic B. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. If you were not so basic and Pi$$y you would have realized that. Not don’t say one word to me. F off. And you can do what you did last week end.

15. tsquires May 20, 2017 at 10:44 am

To both David and Rodney keep up the peoples work, even though they are still wearing the bit and bridle, because most refuse to see the chains on Bussa’s hands for what they really are, then again no surprise as a Caucasian man is supposed to have died for the people’s sins? What better way to institute their gubernatorial politrics!

• Jennifer May 20, 2017 at 6:50 pm

tsquires – bring it out. The hole deep.

16. joan Worrell May 20, 2017 at 11:52 am

Activist my foot. They are watered-down communists and haters of the United States of America. Bajans don’t want to see them in the House of Assembly. Fidel is dead and they are dead ( politically). Congrats in advance Ms. Bradshaw for a second term in office and tell the constituents what is the meaning of an activist.

17. joan Worrell May 20, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Dear M.P Bradshaw

All you have to do is to tell Rodney Grant to openly declare his support for, or opposition to the Maduro regime in Venezuela. Commissiong, his fellow activist, strongly supports Maduro. The Latin American trade bloc, Mercosur , which originally comprised Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay , Uruguay and Venezuela, has expelled Venezuela from the group. Even Cuba is forging strong ties with America. Grant and Commissiong can apply to have their Bajan citizenship revoked and live in Venezuela. We have no place for them in the Barbados House of Assembly.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 1:45 pm

How many people also supported Fidel Castro. How many people support Putin. How many from Trinidad are going to join the ISIS cause. How many enjoy lying before telling the truth. Did the PM of Barbados not say that he would trust a crook before he trust Mia Mottley. Did America not vote in an idiot for President and regretting now that they did. Did they not call Obamacare a bunch of shyte but now realising that what call shyte is not working out very good for them. Different strokes for different folks and if Commisiong supports the Maduro it is his choice isn’t it not?

18. Loretta Griffith May 20, 2017 at 4:00 pm

It’s good to hear all the upstanding persons speaking out against hypocrisy and double standards. Wish we had more of them.

19. L King May 20, 2017 at 4:32 pm

@Sunshine Rise people don’t regret voting in Trump – Trump had enemies BEFORE he became president. Besides I like Trump never use to.

And another thing he isn’t a racist and the only thing I don’t agree with him on is the environment.

• Jennifer May 20, 2017 at 6:31 pm

@L King – Hahahahahaaha – Well said. Trump is not racist, he is a REALIST. Something that needs coming to Barbados to resurrect the dead of this place.

20. Greengiant May 20, 2017 at 4:38 pm

The common call here is for new, more youthful servants of the people. A different ideology is required from all parties, otherwise we’ll get the same quality of representation with failed policies.

Solutions Barbados certainly offers this option, all representatives are new, the ideology is new, so the results will have to be different.

21. joan Worrell May 20, 2017 at 7:18 pm

May God Help Barbados if they follow the likes of Maduro for a ‘new ideology” . Venezuelans are crossing the border into Columbia to buy toilet paper, soap, rice, peas and many other items to keep them alive. This was once the richest country in Latin America and this man has turned it into almost the the poorest. Is this what activists Commissiong and Grant want for Barbados? Barbadians are more sensible than they think. They will never be elected the House of Assembly. They will never forget activist Maurice Bishop of Grenada who had a similar ideology to Maduro?

22. Jennifer May 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm

The problem with the masses is that they have a sub way of thinking. In general they cannot see the wood among the trees or the termites in their furniture eating way the legs. They have a great spirit of fear and will prefer below rather than above, underneath rather than on top, dependency and scratching rather than INDEPENDENCE, squatting rather that owning wealth. They prefer to live under a fasaud of being middle class under a demigod of integration.

23. Zeus May 20, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for the change of Headline

24. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Peter

First get your gender right. If you want to know, I am a woman. Secondly, reading your nonsense showed me clearly that you are simply a waste of time. Why don’t you answer my questions. You cannot win with the SSS by telling me nonsense about how shallow I am and what you think are my qualities. Answer my darn questions. Are you standing for something? Do you see a problem with Barbados governance? Or are you simply another nitwit pretender.