‘Cruel Sun’

Insurance company accused of giving claimant the run around

A Fitts Village, St James man who was involved in an accident a year ago is pleading with insurance company Sun General to settle his claim so he and the remaining accident victims  can get on with their lives.

Thirty-year-old Romar Morris was travelling in his car with two passengers along a section of the Greame Hall road in Christ Church in May last year when he was involved in an accident, that left him with a punctured lung, while one passengers lost a leg.

The second passenger did not suffer physical injury “but was shaken up mentally”, he said.

Morris told Barbados TODAY it has since been a traumatizing experience getting the insurance company to settle his claim.

Romar Morris

He said about a week after the accident “somebody tried to get me to sign a statement” while he lay in a hospital bed, and family members had to intervene to get the person to leave.

“The process started bad, inhumane an unprofessionally from the start, and after all that rushing at first – because even the second week, he had me rushing the two passengers who were trying to recover, especially the one who lost a limb. So after all that rushing it is a whole year and nothing has happened,” Morris complained.

The former Signia Financial employee painted a picture of an insurance company that was frustrating him by either not taking his calls, responding to messages or refusing to settle the issue.

He told Barbados TODAY he was tired of the “run around” and “dragging of feet”, and he was seriously considering turning to the law courts for redress.

“It is hard for me to focus right now with all of this going on. It is like a dark cloud over my life. It affects everything,” he said.

Morris said Sun General kept saying it was awaiting a police report, a statement from the two witnesses and its own mechanical inspection. However, he said this was not good enough.

“Something needs to be done. It is just not fair . . . and mentally for a person who went through an accident to treat them like this is horrible.

“I paid for service and I am not receiving anything,” he complained.

When contacted the insurance company would only tell Barbados TODAY the matter involving Morris was being investigated.

“We are fully aware of this claim. It is a matter that is under active insurance investigation and I think it would be inappropriate for us to make a public comment at this stage,” a spokesman said.

Morris, who has been undergoing psychological, psychiatric and physiotherapy treatment, said he had had to seek help to raise approximately $10,000 to assist his friend who lost a limb, and there were still outstanding bills of over $10,000, which he was struggling to pay.

He also questioned the point of having insurance coverage in the first place.

“People complain about the number of people driving around on the road uninsured, but for me insurance has done nothing, because I have to sit here and struggle by myself. They have actually made the matter worse in the way they have handled it.

“What was the point of me being insured? I could have well not been insured. They only made the situation worse, that is the truth,” Morris said.

“I just want it settled so we can move forward with our lives. Even though a year has passed it feels like it happens last week. The lack of progress and the stage that we are at it feels like it happens last week,” he stressed.

He described the experience as mentally “disturbing and traumatizing”, adding it made it difficult for any of them to recover from their injuries.

“As bad as the accident was, the way they . . . have treated me has been even worse. That is the truth. I have not been able to move forward,” Morris explained.

16 Responses to ‘Cruel Sun’

1. Chris Wright May 20, 2017 at 12:10 am

Very sad state of affairs with some insurance companies. They love to take your money, BUT!!!!! when the time comes for them to pay you the benefit of a claim. IT’S HEARTACHE TIME!!

You need lawyer like some of those we have here in Florida.

2. Jim Jeeps May 20, 2017 at 1:35 am

From my experience when an insurance company investigating fu so long this fellow may have a problem in the claim. When the Co. say they are fully aware and investigating – I sure we aint hearing both sides of this story.

3. jrsmith May 20, 2017 at 4:45 am

See what I am always saying this only happens to black bajans, this would never happen to the 1%ers..
    Follow the world young man, use the social media to let the world know how black bajans are treated in barbados………………
    People go on about the (CCJ) use the court lets see if this court is honest and trustworthy,,
    ***************************************************
    Bajans should start helping each other, lets help this guy get some funds to put these people in they places, I will contribute
    I am so ****ed of seeing how my black bajan people are being treated in barbados , this must stop now………………………………….

4. Llewellyn smith May 20, 2017 at 6:24 am

I will post this to my fb page I feel his pain I was waiting 7 years now .no one should insure with sun general insurance .mr weathead the boss was asking me for a police report seven years now.im not a police

5. Seek Him May 20, 2017 at 7:22 am

You can’t even find a honest lawyer,they aren’t any,they are all dead..God help us all.

6. Rechelle May 20, 2017 at 7:46 am

Choice of the wrong insurance company.

7. hcalndre May 20, 2017 at 7:53 am

When some people say how sweet and nice Barbados is, it reminds me of Adonijah`s 2 Barbadoses and the 1% that has it made. Chris you and I know that in Florida and other States you would not have to look for a lawyer, they would be looking for you. Mr. Morris have to get the lawyers` fee first before he can talk about court and be very careful of those bajan attorneys that they don`t get more of the settlement than you and that they are not working for the same insurance company too. Right now I`m looking at my Allstate Ins. which expires in a few days at midnight.

8. Milli Watt May 20, 2017 at 8:40 am

hang of you don’t pay you screwed and if you pay you screwed so what is the sense in paying mek sense to keep yuh money and do de screwing………..dat is wat I talkin bout DONE WID DE INSURANCE

9. Alex Alleyne May 20, 2017 at 10:12 am

Sir, did you get the services of a LAWYER to look into your case ?. They are out there on every corner, in your situation ,its No win, no fee. In BIM if you spit and you are challenged you need the services of a “Learned friend”.
    Insurance company or Collection agency.

10. Peter May 20, 2017 at 11:38 am

This looks like an ideal case for an attorney with the learned knowledge and experience od Mr. David Comissiong and or Philip Pilgrim to undertake. Bearing in mind that Bernie Weatherhead, owner of Sun General Insurance, is a strong white supporter of the DEMs and thus is closely connected to the AG Though I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT HE USES nor HAS USED HIS POLITICAL INFLUENCE IN THIS or ANY MANNER regarding this particular situation. A good attorney will point out to you that that claim should be larger sxince the third person suffered “mental ” damage and may still be in some residual mental anguish. Only a good psychologist can officially make that prognosis. It seems to me that Mr. Morris did NOT SIGN a seemingly prepared statement whilst still hospitalized and may be given medication which would have affected his mental judgmental school of thought. Litigating for an additional claim od unnecessary delays in expediting settlement should be included.

11. Bentley May 20, 2017 at 1:07 pm

When people tell their stories, it’s always seems like, “Oh, they just trying for public attention.” Over the years, I have commented both here on BarbadosToday and in the Nation News about Insurance companies giving insured persons the runaround. Not all Insurance Companies are Born Equal. My present Insurer is 500% more professional and Customer focus than the one I was insured with 16 years ago.

Did I say 16 years? Yes, I have been waiting on my settlement now all this time. My wife was pregnant with my son at the time. He is now about to finish secondary school. Does that give any one an idea of time?

The last time I went to Court, neither my attorney, the insurance company’s attorney and the attorney for the Financial Services Commission turned up. When I inquired, I was told that the insurance company had requested more time and so decision was made to “e-scheduled” the sitting for another date.

Nuff said. Only in Barbados will it take “someone of significance or a very close relative” to be affected by a crime or horrific accident for things to change drastically in Barbados.

Why do we pay insurance?
    Why is there Third Party and Full Comprehensive Insurance?
    What is Excess Policy
    Why is it Insurance companies will cover vehicle owners who’s insurance has been terminated or refused insurance coverage by other insurers?

12. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 20, 2017 at 1:50 pm

This is nothing new. Insurance companies in Barbados have been doing shyte for years and getting away with it. Black Barbadians do not stand a chance of being properly represented. A lot of deals are struck at the backdoor, and those agencies that are responsible for consumer protection and rights are comfortably in bed with a lot of these companies.

13. mark May 20, 2017 at 3:09 pm

@jrsmith well said bajans (black) are treated like dogs eating the scraps off the masters table and do not seem to care.

14. Ossie Moore May 20, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Go on social media to let the whole world know ( including the TOURISTS / VISITORS ) that you are dealing with who a poster to these comments is ” Bernie Weatherhead, owner of Sun General Insurance seems to be a “crooked and corrupted Insurance company”.

Also tell all the bajans that they should now change their policies over to other insurance companies that they believe they can trust.

Pay up Bernie . . ya damn swindler ! ! !

15. JAMMIN May 22, 2017 at 9:29 pm

CAWBLUMMA…..SUN GENERAL..A BUNCH OF F****NG CRIMINALS….GET KNOCKED OFF MY BIKE IN 2015 BY A WOMAN ON A CELLPHONE…..NOTHING YET

16. Karen May 23, 2017 at 5:56 am

What kind of heart do these people have? It is obvious that it is all about taking your money. I agree with the commenter that the POWER is in the hands of the Consumers to punish these WORTHLESS companies by taking their business elsewhere since it seems like they are not governed by any laws. This is past ridiculous.
    Also, can we start a “fun me” account for these young people so that they can at least have their medical treatment paid for until those jokers decided to pay up? If everyone reading this donate $10.00 or what they can afford we should be able to help these youngsters get some needed treatment