BLP renews call for integrity legislation

The opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) has renewed its call on the Freundel Stuart administration to enact integrity legislation that will force people in public life to declare their assets.

The BLP representative for Christ Church East, Senator Wilfred Abrahams, made the call on Saturday following a tour of the constituency with other members of the party.

Abrahams accused the governing Democratic Labour Party (DLP) of endless “corruption and moral decay”.

He said while members of the DLP based their 2007 election campaign on transparency and accountability, they have failed to deliver on their promises.

“I believe that everybody in public office should have to declare their assets, I have nothing to hide,” Abrahams said.

“It cannot be a case where representatives are benefitting on the back of people especially when people are suffering. Every dollar that a representative puts in his pockets is a dollar less to spend on his constituency.”

Abrahams accused the DLP of using delaying the proceedings, noting that the only thing delaying the passing of the integrity legislation is the absence of the Governor General’s signature.

“If this government wanted integrity legislation it would be there already. If this government wanted to have control over election spending it would be there. If they wanted to have oversight over campaign financing it would be there but there is no political will to do that and you have to ask yourself why. Why is this government shying away from its promises when those promises are related to accountability, transparency and integrity?”

Meantime, Abrahams said members of his party are ready to declare their assets.

“We are prepared to declare our incomes, we are prepared to not pay lip service and actually implement the integrity legislation promised by this current government  . . . I believe that those in this current government need to backtrack, check their tax filings, if they have them, and confess to the people what they had nine years ago in 2007 and what they have now,” he said.

“I want them to start digging and shaking the family tree and let us know what your brother, your sister, your wife, let us know what your mother had in her bank account seven years ago and what she has now.”

Abrahams who is vying for the seat currently held by the Minister of the Environment, Denis Lowe, said “if you have nothing to hide then the people should know what their public servants make, not just the politicians, the senior civil servants, all the politically exposed people. They all must stand up”.

The attorney also accused the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Commissioner of Police of having “their wings clipped” and have turned a blind eye to the corruption plaguing the island.

Abrahams called for the Cahill Project to be investigated.

“When you shine a bright light in the corners, the rats are going to scatter, let us shine that bright light and let us see who runs,” he said.

35 Responses to BLP renews call for integrity legislation

1. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 14, 2017 at 10:24 am

Winfred Abrahams you are speaking the language that many people want to hear. It is certainly the language of the SSS; for I am advocating for greater transparency, accountability, anticorruption legislation, increase powers for the auditor general in an overall show of better governance and sensible decisions. I hope what you say here is the sentiments of every single member in the BLP and not just talk to win an election. If you have nothing to hide then you will push the Cahill investigation to its penultimate end, the Grotto High Rise matter to determine its truths and lies, the CLICO matter to ascertain the extent of DLP relationship with Leroy Parris, and the matter involving Transtec and gifts to two ministers and the extent of that relationship etc. You will also ask your leader to make it her priority when she forms the next government to put all of the above legislations on the card for implentation, as I do not trust her to do the right thing. Let it be said that the BLP want to make the big difference; want to do right by the people; want to make government operations accountable and available to the public; want to have all government spending under strict guidelines and increase scrutiny; and that the performance levels of all government ministers and high ranking civil servants to be subjected to performance evaluations and disciplinary actions. If your words are serious then let the action follow. Nothing else will convince me and many others of your seriousness.

2. Alex Alleyne May 14, 2017 at 10:52 am

And there will have to a DODDS #2.

3. Alex Alleyne May 14, 2017 at 10:54 am

And there will have to build DODDS #2 , plus the tax payer can’t afford to feed the lot that will be there.

4. Rickie Nurse May 14, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Sunshine Sunny Shine, what you are calling for can only happen when the BLP win the government, anything less than winning the government is pipe dreams.

David Thompson and the Dems talked about it after they got into office, but nine years later it is still to become law, why do you think that is? Seeing that the Opposition members declared their assets and no one from the government has done so to this day. I will say this, it will not happen under this administration because to do so would incriminate each and every one of them including some prominent accomplices. So stay tuned.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Rickie Nurse

My campaign is for the BLP to reassure the nation of Barbadians that it is serious about presenting good, transparent, accountable, tighten screw governance. If they want to make a/the difference then they should make utterances from every platform, pew, podium and pool shop that the trust of their leadership will be for governance that will be an open show of exemplary performance in government accounting and reporting. We no longer want to hear stupid, silly promises (free wifi) to sweeten the giddy only to bite he later in he bamsie. Let the speeches reflect the reality of poor economical, infrastructural and financial governance. And, that a Mia Mottley led BLP, will make the necessary legislation availabe for alll to be called to account – SO LET IT BE SO. The BLP had three terms to make government business accountable, transparent and full with integrity, but they did not do it for the same reasons that Abraham is accusing the DLP of doing. 14 years, Rickie Nurse, 14 flipping years and the Auditor General reports under the Bees read similiar to the recent AG reports under the DEMS. I am not waiting for Mottley to form the government to put these things in place, I WANT MOTTLEY TO PROMISE, TO AFFIRM, TO REASSURE that when she forms the next government she will establish an Independent Investigations Unit to look into all possible skulduggery under the DEMS and that that same IIU will be responsible for looking into all government affairs under her rulership. I AM SICK OF WASTAGE, the exploitation, the lies, the thievery and the arrogance of those elected to serve getting served. Mottley must put her team to work now on creating the necessary legislation so that in the first 100 days of leadership, we have ITAL establish without delay or red tape.

5. Sherlock Holmes. May 14, 2017 at 1:09 pm

STUPESSSS!

6. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore May 14, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Campaiging in the 2008 General Election on themes of transparency, accountability, integrity, morality, corruption & good governance, this DLP admin has, over the last nine years, broken each of these promises & every rule in the political playbook. What’s left now is for us the voters to reward DEM commensurately for their failings against a once well govern people.

7. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 14, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Indeed

8. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne May 14, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Once again the BLP is starting early. I’m backing them all the way.

9. Zeus May 14, 2017 at 4:21 pm

SSS was mottley a minister in government before ….does she have clean hands ….some of you talk like if this woman drop out the sky ….there is a building that was constructed in culloden road and one constructed in Worthing same time ask her about that then we can talk transparency

• Coralita May 14, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Don’t forget Crab Hill Police Station.

I just cannot believe that people are so easily fooled by these politicians with their continual nonsense when elections are drawing nigh.

You mean to tell me that with all the so called education we claim we have we are so easily misled? Hardly any, if any at all of the things they are calling for now will be enacted if they form the next government. Talk about gullible!!!!!

DLP / BLP = SAME CRAP

• Jennifer May 15, 2017 at 9:30 am

@Coralita – Well said lady. Believe it or not – MANY are that gullible.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 15, 2017 at 12:41 am

Zeus don’t be an idiot. I am not backing Mottley. Mottley does not have clean hands but she needs to be reminded that we want a leader who will wash their hands and come cleans. Like it or not she will be the next Prime Minister, and I will be damn if I am going to sit back and let her do shyte in the name of Mottley when we already have one leader who has been doing a lot of it. She must be reminded of what the people need and not what she wants to do in the name of BLP or Mottley, or as the first female Prime Minister.

10. jrsmith May 14, 2017 at 4:29 pm

What I want to hear , our voters in barbados having the automatic right , to use the same votes which elected (MPs) to be able to remove them from office for non performance , to the varying continuances…….
    *************************************************
    As for … ( integrity legislation ) trustworthiness must also be added, we must ask the government what explanation they are willing , to give to the world and bajans now , since the exposure of the (AUDIT GENERAL’S) report , of the 800 millions Bds dollars which cannot be accounted for , could this be done before the coming election…………………………………………………………..

11. Michael Brown
    Michael Brown May 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm

DLP needs to bow out with grace and call the damn election. It cant get worse for them.

12. Greengiant May 14, 2017 at 5:18 pm

While I agree this legislation is critical to the development of this nation and I must credit the opposition for once again placing it on the minds of the electorate. The electorate credited the David Thompson lead DLP for placing the same topic on the table prior to the 2008 campaign as well, yet nine years later there’s no progress.

How many parliamentarians and candidates does the opposition have remaining from their last term in government? I ask this question because the BLP enjoyed the greatest parliamentary majority during part of their fourteen years in government. During that time I didn’t once hear the term “Integrity legislation” mentioned. Remember we heard of corruption during their tenure as well, there’s no accusation being made against some of this government’s ministers that has no been made against some in the previous administration.

I’m sure they won’t charge anyone even if it’s legislated. Will there be accountability for MP’s, PS’s and others responsible for misappropriation of public funds? Will they give powers to the Auditor General to bring charges for breaches of the rendering process, and other breaches of public service guidelines?

I’m tired of these two major parties playing silly season games with the electorate in this country. Similarly the “employment rights legislation” was around the floor of the house for several years before we got any action on it from either party. So please anyone, tell me why should you or I believe what either party is saying? I am sure the campaign teams of both parties realize the task ahead in selling anything to the electorate and they surely understand why. Both have promised much in their manifestos, during penultimate years of elections, even after being elected and have failed to deliver. That’s why I prefer to trust a new party minus the legal fraternalist. They are not producing in their profession, they’re not taking the necessary action to force changes within the judicial system but they want us to believe they will work for us in parliament. Barbadians should have no confidence in this happening. I say, “prove your worth in the courts, and earn your way to higher office”.

13. Greengiant May 14, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Thanks BT I will await moderation of my comment, I do hope it’s not murderation.

• Jennifer May 14, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Green giant = well said. They cut/kill anyone who is speaking any kind of truth at the hands of their puppeteers. Bias bunch of hypocrites.

14. hcalndre May 14, 2017 at 7:01 pm

It only needs two terms and you will see the difference in their life style and I always laugh when I hear one of them saying that they want to seize this boy or that man`s property because he must be doing something illegal. What about the $40m I heard on the radio sometime ago pertaining to the containers in the port with material for the solar plant that is to be some where in Waterford, is it up and running yet? the man said that he spoke to two people and they gave him the go head.

15. Mikey May 14, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Will the BLP bring integrity legislation if not done before elections and if they become the govenment in 2018 ?

I am pretty sure that Solutions Barbados will do it when they become the government in 2018.

Both parties have FAILED since 1958 to bring IL,,, SB WILL DO IT IN 2018

16. Peter May 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Oh these long comments all say the SOS Same Old Sheet. A political party can collect any amount of money and filter it right back to their politicians. so we’re seeing six of one thing and half dozen of the other. Politicians do what they do best. make promises and tell lies. Voters do what they do best, Suck up and complain.

17. Mark My Word May 14, 2017 at 9:52 pm

I wonder if BLP going to legalize homosexuality also or only marijuana

18. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba May 14, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I’M VOTING FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN, CHILDREN, CHILDREN…MY GRANDCHILDREN IS ONLY 3+……3+…….2 THATS THEY AGE RESPECTIVELY…NO DEMONIC LYING PARTY WILL COME TO THE PARTY, NEVER AGAIN

• Mark My Word May 15, 2017 at 1:22 am

My Grand Children paying back for Greenland land fill and not one ounce of garbage would never get dump down there I not jumping out thee frying pan into the fire as it makes no sense.

19. Ralph W Talma May 15, 2017 at 1:27 am

I do not know SSS, but I like what he is saying. And, to have it all implemented would I suggest be good for B’dos.

20. Ras May 15, 2017 at 4:03 am

How about getting somebody lock up in DODDS for Greenland Land Fill where millions of dollars was spent and no garbage will ever be dumped down there, Crab Hill Police Station and thee “Golden Shower” aka bath in Silver Sands, Bajans really get short memories.

21. Greengiant May 15, 2017 at 9:06 am

I want to thank BT for their scrutinizing of comments. Your action has made me place more attention to the editorial quality of my comments. I’m happy to see that some of us are remembering the BLP projects such as Crab Hill police station, Arch Hall fire station, the forensic science center, Greenland landfill, silver sands public bath, the edutec project, Kensington oval, the cruise ships for ICC World Cup 2007, the many BMW cars for the world cup. All the duty free concessions that was granted during the fourteen years in office, and the selling of beach front land to boost foreign exchange reserves. We were spending much more than we were earning from the days of the Arthur lead administration. The BLP were simply selling land and borrowing to shore up the foreign reserves. That method was unsustainable and was the start of the slope economically.

Before the opposition talks about transparency, they need to tell us the issues that lead to the removal of Thompson, Topping, Payne and the constant reshuffling of the cabinet. We who understand know that these movements are cause when ministers are not in agreement with cabinet decisions or are out of control. These can be done to avoid scandalous situations as well, but the opposition party is the most secretive political organization in the region, dare anyone challenge the BLP. There was once a no confidence motion moved on the floor of parliament by the then opposition BLP, it was voted for by members of the then DLP government to bring down a DLP government. If any of you think that would happen with the BLP ruling, think again.

So there’s no transparency, credibility, integrity, or asset declaration legislation coming to the floor of the house under none of these parties. I’m actually shocked, and disappointed at the same time to see three of our better practicing attorneys running on the opposition’s ticket. If you like me follows the media closely you would now understand that this was planned by one of those attorneys with a personalized media approach.

We more often than not follow the developed nations in cultural related practices, our youth live in the global village trying to keep up with world trends. I call on you to watch, understand and follow the political trends in leading nations as well. People are rejecting mainstream political parties for new ideas politicians. The young leader in France had formed his party just over a year ago and today they have formed the government under his presidency. Some here are asking, “what qualifies members of Solutions Barbados” for politics. What are the qualifications required to be a politician? What’s the job description? So now the real question. What disqualifies the candidates representing Solutions Barbados?

The die hard DLP and BLP supporters need to take a serious look in the mirror, ask yourself with all honesty. What have I gotten in return for my vote? When work is plentiful can I buy land, can I save or do I still live from week to week, did any of these governments provide opportunities for me to buy into any state enterprises, do they encourage collateral ownership by locals.
    After talking much about it where are the effects of local governance at the community level. If your answers to these questions are all positive then these two parties have earned your X. If your answers are negative or you’re unsure they have not earned your vote, and shouldn’t get it. Like me and the people of France you should be ready to try something new and refreshing.

• hcalndre May 15, 2017 at 11:04 am

@Greengiant; You started to name persons that were elected in countries that were not main stream politicians, you mention France and stop there, 2 weeks ago I`m certain you would have mention Trump who has proven to be one of the worst choices the American people has made for a president so these rookie wannabe politicians, barbadians must be very careful of.

22. tsquires May 15, 2017 at 9:11 am

Nothing is going to change on the Barbadian landscape, as long as we keep exchanging one party for another, there will be no integrity legislation as long this keeps happening, this integrity crap became vocal since the 60’s if my memory serves me right, and is swept under the doormat once a win has been accomplished, mainly because Barbadian memories are really short where politics and politricians are concerned.

23. Jea Alleyne May 15, 2017 at 9:19 am

“This system is built on the UK system”…… REALLY??? This system started like the UK system but that system has evolved into the Freedom of Info Act for its citizens, an Independent body to investigate the police, accountability for all, poor and rich and freedom of speech !!! The people in power need to stop trying to fool the masses. Barbados isnt even independent !! I agree with JRSmith voters should have the right to remove people from office as I understand is the case for not fulfilling their Manifesto, the DLP have failed but are still there….. how can that happen??

• Jennifer May 15, 2017 at 9:27 am

@Jae Alleyne – Sweet boy, well said.

24. jrsmith May 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

@, Jea A, hail, hail, right on the button well said… I have been called bad names and always being accused , of comparing barbados to the (UK)….. All I always say lots of technology , which applies in the (UK) if we try to adopt in barbados we would be 100% better off…………………………………………
    ***************************************************
    My take if our people really need change , they must change themselves, what I not please about our politicians must be stop in they tracks and not allow our masses of black bajans to suffer and be humiliated by our politicians ever again……..
    ***************************************************
    Please my bajan people , exercise the democratic right , not only to raise your right hand , bow your heads and say nothing, no, no raise your hands ,raise your heads and shout as loud as you can so our useless politicians will hear….
    ( WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH ,WE ARE NOT SUFFERING ANY LONGER……………………………………………………………………..

we h

25. Kammie Holder May 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Dear Wilfred, politics is now about Finders Fees. The 19% Finders Fee for the New Andrews Multi-Purpose Sugar Factory of $458 Million is much more than the $16,000 politicians monthly salary

26. Glenroy May 16, 2017 at 11:46 pm

My, My My! what a world… all sorts of people making all sorts of promises. Give them a term or two we will see…a lot of long talk…they think everyone is gullible…Dress up pretty, play with a few children, look concerned and listen for listening sake, so as to get you believing they really care. Hmm, i guess they really think that we have not been well educated..Look don’t be fooled…stop allowing man to pull wool over our eyes. Not one of them has the answers to our problems. They know how to play on our emotions, and use this time to their advantage…Out crying crocodile tears and pretending to be concerned….May I strongly suggest that we put our trust in God….