Unfair deal!

Beach vendor ‘harassed by NCC rangers’

For six years beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne has been plying her trade at the Fitts Village beach in St James, but it has never really been smooth sailing.

Alleyne, who rents beach chairs and umbrellas to tourists and sells handmade jewellery, told Barbados TODAY she has faced constant harassment and victimization from the beach rangers, and whatever she does appears to be a problem.

Some of the beach chairs Alleyne rents to visitors.

“I was here for six years, the first vendor who started any vending here at Fitts Village beach, and for that period of time I have been harassed ever since from the rangers in this area. I had my business shut down for a day for not wearing the NCC [National Conservation Commission] shirt. I only had one at the time and I had it on the line. I opted to go home and get it off the line and come back but they insisted that I shut my business or they would shut it for me and leave,” Alleyne explained.

“The rangers around here have a problem with my chairs. I sometimes put out four or five chairs to advertise and let people know something is happening here. Now they want to tell me I can’t put the chairs there, I have to wait until the people come. For all the years I have been renting chairs we always put out our chairs first and if someone comes the chairs are already there. After going to NCC numerous times to find out if there was a change in the rules or if there would be a letter informing me of anything different, nothing of the sort came about.”

The beach vendor said the NCC had promised to investigate her complaints, but nothing was done.

In the meantime, the situation is worsening, she said, with the NCC neglecting to provide a proper working area.

As a result, she has lost some of her property to the high seas, an upset Alleyne said.

Lavonne Alleyne is complaining of constant harassment from beach rangers.

“Two months ago I have had my jewellery and my tables washed away in the sea. I used to set up close to the entrance; it gives me better access to the tourists that come from the ship, . . . but when the water gets high it’s problems. I tried many times to get the NCC to put us in the park which they did for about five months and they put us back on the sand again. The last time I tried for them to put us in the park it was so much confusion around here with the rangers and a cleaner . . . . If the sea is rough, they tell me they don’t care where I put my things. I asked them if they have a conscience and they said, ‘it has gone through the window’ and we are not to put our things back in the park.

“It takes money to buy those beads and stuff like that. I have to set up here behind this wall to keep my things safe. So I have to work a little harder now to get the sales. I find they have been victimizing me here. I just come here and work and try to make some money so I can take care of my family. Since I relocate over to this side, it’s a bit slow, but I have to be more optimistic. I have bills to pay. People have suggested that I go elsewhere and I may very well take that advice,” she said.

Alleyne lost over 60 chairs last year to a suspicious fire, but she said she would not be deterred.

All she wants is to ply her trade in peace at a spot that she enjoys, the beach vendor told Barbados TODAY.

“I’m not wealthy, my family isn’t a big name family, [I’m] not a high society person. [I am] just a poor woman on the beach hustling, trying to make ends meet,” she said.

Efforts to reach the NCC were unsuccessful up to the time of publication.

davandrababb@barbadostoday.bb

18 Responses to Unfair deal!

1. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner May 8, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Barbados we talking about she is poor among other factors so no surprise about her treatment.

• Hewers of wood May 8, 2017 at 11:58 pm

If this woman’s set up was legit then why is she getting such stick???? Then we got women is bush hill etc getting no harassment problems from any authorities. Things truly appear to be the wrong way up.

2. Meakai May 9, 2017 at 3:15 am

Renting beach chairs is big business and Fitts Village beach is a nice beach. Little wonder she is getting harassed and being advised to set up elsewhere.

We like um so.

3. Steve May 9, 2017 at 3:31 am

This woman is a fine ambassador for Barbados and deserves support – not hinderance.

4. Sheron Inniss May 9, 2017 at 5:40 am

I try that once; this beach vending thing. Just walking along the beach with my jewelry. The NCC officer fuss and I did done with that. Now at my grans property people set up and there is no fuss. In fact up to where land taxes has to be paid has now become their domain. Anytime I want to I shall be doing the same. Let them come and move me. The government just thiefing in my opinion. As soon as they want more taxes they look for a way. Steupse; they going soon tax the sea water.

On the other hand it is the vendors responsibility to secure their property. Clothing is her choice> She does not work for the NCC. Steupse. Real clowns mashing up Barbados.

5. Greengiant May 9, 2017 at 7:06 am

We barbadians need to March solidarity with her. Where is my learned friend David Cameron?

I can send you on a fact finding mission to Fitts Village Beach, no need to bother about Venezuela, we already have the facts there and can share them with you.

6. The Negrocrat May 9, 2017 at 8:11 am

Hewers of wood, leave the Bush Hill girls alone.
    They are in the poultry business. They raise cocks.

SO how come others can make the beaches miserable by putting out a ton of chairs and this poor girls can’t put out a few.

7. Delores Powlett May 9, 2017 at 8:56 am

The Negrocrat I love that reply Hewers of wood and the poultry business. Ha Ha.

Hi Negrocrat I love that reply Hewers of wood and the poultry business .
    Check the persecution around her eyes but whatsoever a person sow that shall they reap.

8. Peter May 9, 2017 at 9:54 am

This is a classic case of envy and jealousy. She has NOT committed any crime of any kind. She is a simple self made entrepreneur Legal action against those unscrupulous wardens should be taken. Lavonne Alleyne, I am proud of you and love you. I will rally my people to give you our fullest support. This is unwarranted harassment by those wardens.

9. Milli Watt May 9, 2017 at 9:57 am

this is the Barbados I living in. woman trying to make a living from an industry controlled by a few and a bunch a rent a cops drawing from a public purse to which I contribute doing this sstttuuupppsseee. I knew a long time ago that this talk about empowerment is a joke. this nonsense going end up in de road just now

10. Peter May 9, 2017 at 9:58 am

Thank you Barbados Today and reporter Davendra Babb foe exposing this nasty behavior. I hope this Government realizes that the world has seen this. I posted it on a website visited by Bajans and visitors worldwide. Why? because this sickens me to the bone. I have no regrets.

11. Alex Alleyne May 9, 2017 at 10:04 am

Comissiong will never step in to help this lady, he is only bent on causing problems for anything Political in BARBADOS. He had a chance to take the lead when the people had its problems with the BWA, but did he lift a finger, oh no.

12. Sheron Inniss May 9, 2017 at 11:34 am

i notice my comments r not being posted any longer. the truth sets u free. i know how to stand up for my rights. i sue twice and WON. post was not degrading, no cursing…..God don’t like ugly.

13. Totalman May 9, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Let one of those foreigners put up an illegal fence and block the right of way of our precious beach and they would just mumble and walk around it. No police powers or corrective action there.

14. nanci May 9, 2017 at 2:34 pm

always trying to hurt the poor. hope she advertise her trade or rent somewhere nearby. or print some cards and let people call. hope you find another way to do business.

15. Natasha May 9, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Ms Alleyne don’t ever let them win..keep fighting for your rights. As you said you are registerd to trade so if they want to push your limits…keep praying and the battle must be won

16. Elle May 10, 2017 at 5:56 am

Leave this poor woman alone ! She has been getting hell there for a while based on numerous unfortunate incidents she spoke of before, from Rangers to other vendors have just been making her chance at a honest living unbearable ….I dont wanna say this but I will, Bajans are badminded people and love to see others fail….Im sure if cats and dogs can live in a house or yard together that they can make things work there….everybody waaan live !

17. Kat May 10, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I does have to sit back an look at society and the inhumane things people do there are no jobs available to society especially from the government entities and when it comes to entrupernuer we lack that in barbados . Our craftman ship are well bought by tourist who visits the island and many are forced to go the self-employed way in order to make ends meet to survive because we all need the necessities for daily living. Ee dont support our own but will entertain foreign imports we claim to love Barbados but if we love it so bad why then stip a poor man or woman from distributing our culture things that are hanf made and original . i wish things will change for you and some assistance Will be given dont let it deteer you from the focus of yiur . ission and why you do what you do .