Middle-aged man accused of sex with 12-year-old

A 53-year-old man has been warned by the court to stay away from a 12-year-old he allegedly had sex with.

Carl Osbourne John, of Odessa McClean Drive, My Lords Hill, St Michael is accused of having unlawful sexual intercourse with the pre-teen sometime between July 1, 2009 and September 30, 2016.

John was not required to plea to the indictable charge when he appeared in the No. 1 District ‘A’ Criminal Court before Magistrate Douglas Frederick this morning.

There were no objections to bail, but police prosecutor Station Sergeant Neville Reid argued for conditions to be attached to his release, if bail was granted.

As such, John was told by the magistrate not to contact the minor at any time, surrender his travel documents to the Bridgetown court and report to the District ‘A’ Police Station every Tuesday and Friday before 6 p.m. with valid identification.

He was granted bail in the sum of $5,000, which he secured with one surety, and will make his second appearance before Magistrate Frederick on August 10.

45 Responses to Middle-aged man accused of sex with 12-year-old

1. Sophia Weaver
    Sophia Weaver May 5, 2017 at 12:20 am

That’s not sex with…she’s 12. Its sexual abuse, sexual assault of a minor and rape. Call it what it is.

2. Sandy Whitlock
    Sandy Whitlock May 5, 2017 at 12:26 am

Cut his d#%k off….

3. Garfield Isaacs
    Garfield Isaacs May 5, 2017 at 12:28 am

Accused tho lets not judge him ,judge not or you be judge first.

4. Sherwin Patterson
    Sherwin Patterson May 5, 2017 at 12:34 am

1st CLASS TICKET TO SEE GOD for his perverted sick ass.I am waiting on one a these mfs

5. Angel Maria
    Angel Maria May 5, 2017 at 12:34 am

Cut if off. Nasty dog.

6. Mark May 5, 2017 at 2:01 am

Why such a wide date range for this charge, or was it multiple times? Article not clear on this point. Could be grounds for dismissal.

• Annie May 5, 2017 at 6:23 pm

It was multiple…and 2009…she is 12 now. Do the maths..5yrs old

7. Sojay May 5, 2017 at 6:23 am

He needed that long time , even got a child from his wife niece

8. Maria May 5, 2017 at 6:49 am

How can a 53 year old man look at a 12 year old girl he should not be walking the streets send him straight to dodds he is young enough for those guys up there hope you get what you really want sick man

9. Samantha May 5, 2017 at 7:44 am

He is a sex offender!!!! He did it once. This young girl is most likely not his only victim. If he done it once he will do it again. And what if it is/ gas been to a younger aged girl? I am so repulsed by this judges reprimand that. share their name and decision with the rest of the world. This judge should either step down, or be removed from duty.. Period.

10. Ria May 5, 2017 at 8:25 am

It’s not a matter of how many times he did this. It is that he is in the wrong he should not even be looking at her in a perverted way. She is a child and he is a grown man. He should not even be granted bail. People have gone to jail for less all now he should be imprisoned

11. Dave May 5, 2017 at 8:29 am

What he did was wrong, yes .why now this comes up? Look at the dates July 2009 to 2016 so she was 12 in 2009 so in 2016 ,,,,19 years ..Now 20 this year ..As I say yes he was wrong

12. Alison May 5, 2017 at 8:42 am

Really??? I saw the guy that killed the police Sergeant in the motor accident with a $15000 bail bond. This man is accused of ‘sex’ which sexual abuse and rape of a minor and only $5000??? What message are we sending as a society?? He could be her grandfather.

13. Sugar baby May 5, 2017 at 8:55 am

Seriously tho call it what it is rape ,he ain want no bail he shud gone straight up Dodds tho i cnt believe this tho ,ridiculous giving him bail an them wanna release him ,,no he ain no release ,this system sain else hw cud ya all release him…come onn mann system gone dwn mann

14. Christine Taylor May 5, 2017 at 8:59 am

THAT IS RAPE! Cut it off!

15. Sugar baby May 5, 2017 at 9:02 am

To be honest death penalty need to be put in place ..tho ..if de system are government put back death penalty a lot things wud not be happening. .come government wake up an put de penalty back up stop a lot these things tht happenning …

16. SHARON SARAH WATKINS May 5, 2017 at 10:50 am

SO 8 years ago a 43 year old man start raping a 12 year old girl until he was 52 yrs in 2016 so let me see that is 7 years he was doing that first let me ask where were this girl parents? second did she tell anyone and what did they do? thirdly when she had reach 16 and 18 can we call that rape anymore there are so many questions in my head cause i cant believe this was going on for so long and it is now he is brought up on charges this ” girl is now 20” and will now have to relive this all over again i am waiting to see the out come of this case

• Annie May 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm

She is 12 now…..

17. Ulelli May 5, 2017 at 11:25 am

The correct word is rape. Not sex with a 12 year old.
    RAPE, RAPE, RE APE.

18. Ingrid May 5, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hope he have a daughter or granddaughter and a man do to them what he did to this child he deserves to be put away for the the rest of his life he is an animal that deserve to be in a cage . He should not be aloud to walk around how many more victims does he have laws in Barbados need to be more serious with these pedefiles.

19. Bernard Mccollin May 5, 2017 at 4:12 pm

As BAJAN FOLKS DO, jump to hasty conclusions then slander them , I’m sure people r happy for facebook,

20. Boopsy May 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Pay this man a visit on tues&fridays and give him a slap for abusing a minor!!!!

21. Sabina May 6, 2017 at 5:52 am

Wait… this was in 2009 though. So is she like 20 now? Or was she 5 when it happened??? They take too long to bring up these cases… child has to relive somthing that happened 8 years ago… stupse

22. Althea Butler May 6, 2017 at 6:56 am

So I was not raped but was having sex when my abuser defiled me from aged 15 month,and another at aged 9 years.I am now telling my story about ” a man having sex with me” on a facebook page for the purpose of supporting survivors of childhood sexual abuse.

A young lady asked me to write a poem telling her story of ” having sex ” at aged 5.

An Invisible Child

Asleep, I was dreaming I couldn’t breathe,
    terrible pain in belly above my knees,
    something pushing to get inside of me,
    wanted to wake up, go toilet to have a wee.
    Pain in my private jarred me awake, I did a double take!
    I screamed but no one heard.

He looked like a dog this stranger above me,
    a drooling, hunching, whimpering dog was my daddy.
    Quiet now but my pain was really bad, like fire
    vision blurred ,suffocating, ears buzzing like a bee
    chest was pounding, felt like vomiting
    I cried in my tummy and no one heard.

He slapped me up, said to get up go clean the mess,
    I dropped on the floor to put on my dress,
    too pained to stand I went on all fours,
    then saw the blood, wondered if I’d bleed to death.
    Daddy kissed my head and walked out the door.
    I cried but no one heard

Sat for hours wondering why he’d punished me,
    Felt safe at last when mummy found me
    gave me a bubble bath ,made my favourite meal,
    something for pain, my favourite nightie.
    Confused when she said it was our secret to keep,
    we hugged each other and went off to sleep.
    I was in pain but I did not cry.

Monster daddy came in, called me his princess
    who deserved Barbie dolls and Cinderella dresses.
    Flowers and chocolates were some of mummy’s presents
    they then got all loved up in front of me .
    A nightmare this, I looked in terror
    at mummy for kissing and loving that monster.
    I screamed in anguish but no one heard

She boxed my ears, slapped my face and screamed angrily,
    called me ungrateful and difficult to please
    when presents and Disneyland tickets were bought by daddy!
    Magical Disneyland with monster daddy and mummy!!!
    I wet myself! I pooed myself!
    I screamed in terror but no one heard!
    I was an invisible child!

At age 16 after abortions three, away I ran, moved with a gang.
    Drugs, alcohol, free sex, school sometimes.
    Found me a fella, we did it all- he was THE bomb!
    He came with another and we became three,
    He withheld the drugs, beat me up for dissing his mates
    wanting an orgy when they moved on me.
    Lesson learnt, shut up and put up!

Feeling bad I became a slag to get a fix to feel better
    Selling myself to men like dogs, just like my father.
    Crazy crazed I robbed a homeless beggar!
    What in the world had I come to?
    Surely a terrorist bomb would’ve been better,
    after slicing my wrists with brand new razors,
    than waking up alive to see at my bedside
    my father and mother!

I screamed in terror but no one heard.
    How could they? I was not there.
    I was an invisible child.

Copyright © Althea Butler 26 April 2017
    All rights reserved
    This poem may not be reproduced, transmitted or stored in a retrieval system in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the publisher.

23. Judy May 6, 2017 at 8:17 am

Don’t blame the victim. She is a child. She is a minor. She was violated by a vile man. He should be prosecuted and jailed for the rest of his foul miserable life.

24. Nanci May 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

Wow sadly this is a constant behavior throughout barbados. The family of the girl should give him a beating , because he will not go to prison. The courts don’t care about young kids having sex with grown adults, and the child care board, that’s another story. Barbados is too much of a proud island to admit to all the horrible things going on. Robberies. I know guys who travel around at night looking to rob homes. Some home owner gotta shoot and kill one of them for them to stop. These guys know some parents are too poor to get a lawyer to fight their case, and put this guy in prison. Then he will say the girl push up herself to him, but he’s a grown man. You the one have to tell her parents, or tell the girl to not address any issues to him.

25. Nanci May 6, 2017 at 9:18 am

He been having sex with the girl from the age of 5? And why didn’t the parents or mother send him to jail when he first interfere with the child. Where was the mother. I know lots of family members, or close friends do this to girls. They pretend they are a close family friend. I will love to know if he was the mother’s boyfriend, and the mother let this slide. You will be surprise at what some women would do for money. Was he supporting the home, and the child held as the ramson goat? And what about the neighbors, didn’t anyone know about this? Did her siblings know about this? You have to be very careful who you bring in your house these days. This girl gonna be tarnish for life. She will need help. Some single mothers have no love for some of the kids if they had a falling out with the child father. The innnocent child have to hold that burden, so I am wondering if the mother cared about the child, and if the father is in the child’s life. These questions needs to be asked. Thank god I told people if they touch my 5 year old, they gonna die. No police coming, they and my big ass knife will do the talking. Too many predators out walking around.

26. Andre May 6, 2017 at 9:53 am

Well what the old man did was indecent ,and shameful but the time difference is something else,in the eyes of the law a case dont shut but the girl is a woman now so that pass the girl the girl ca nt be 5 because he would been charge for a five yr old.

• Lincia Lucian May 10, 2017 at 6:55 pm

the Girl is 12 now so he was interfering with her since she was about 5 or 6

27. Raysymbolic May 6, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Why does Barbados not have a Sex Offenders Register? All crimes of a sexual nature – the offenders have this stamped into their passport making travel for s/he virtually impossible.

28. Mufasa May 6, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Well u got to listen to the voice notes cause he got a child from the older sisters n mother pregnant for him now also almost every woman in the neighborhood got children for him

29. Topcat May 6, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Burn him and if the mother covered it up because he was her boyfriend, then she should be burn at the state too! Sick brutes!

30. Brewster May 7, 2017 at 6:20 am

A warning. Are you kidding me? Disgust. When the law is not there people take the law into their own hands.

31. Ian Forde May 7, 2017 at 7:24 am

it is so sad and nasty for these grown men and I dear say individuals to prey on these young children. It destroys their confidence in themselves and people around them. If it is true as suggested the accused should be punished for that. I have daughters myself and I shudder to think if that was my child what could happen.

32. Cas May 7, 2017 at 8:00 am

All I’m gonna say is if he come around any young girls in my family he won’t need no police he will need an under taker.but what get me is the mother ,where were she at that time you mean to say for 7 years and he was doing this and still roaming the streets like nothing happened …Man you lie …Be the mother sell the child too…Some women has no ounce of sense where their girl children is concerned,some hard up for mney and some men does see they got little girls in the house hold and use the child to give the mother money ….The men don’t want the mother they want the child…Even the boy children getting use too…Sick sick ..I’ll use my knife on him real good….He be hard to recognize….I gone this now anger me….

33. Ryan May 7, 2017 at 8:37 am

No objection to bail for an “alleged” sex offender ,but we remand alleged drug offenders for six and seven years. Hummmmm the Barbados Injustice system.

34. Vex! May 7, 2017 at 5:23 pm

He gets bail?!! This man is having sex wit the entire neighborhood! ! You taking away his documents allows him stay where he is and keep doing what he has been doing! And the person who says do not judge??!! If your that stupid, let it be your daughter! What a stupid thing to say. They should let him in jail, so they can tear his backside apart.

35. YOGI NI May 7, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Very poor journalism. Something is seriously wrong with this story. I shall make no further comments on this.

36. Grand father May 8, 2017 at 8:39 pm

That is sexual abuse and statutory Rape if convicted put him in jail lock it with the ice and trow it into the fire. I hope he will be rape every day he spent in jail

37. Lincia Lucian May 10, 2017 at 1:05 pm

This man was interfering with his two daughters from St, Vincent that no longer lives with him. ( NOT HIS WIFE CHILDREN). Seems like he has an eye for all the little females in the house from primary to teen years. I live in the area and know that he has two children from his wife niece. They all live in the same house. The niece is the eldest and big sister of the complainant. Sad and nasty!!! SMH!!!

38. Benbo May 11, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Who!! People, we falling for it!

39. Furcick May 13, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Bajan people get soft, even the judge who should not bet able work any more , if this is the sentence that your going to give some one did wrong in the eyes of God, law, and man wake up Barbados stop watching American TV.