Not Jonesing

Christ Church East Central MP losing his grip on supporters

It appears that Member of Parliament for Christ Church East Central Ronald Jones will have quite some work to do if he is to regain the support of many of the voters who gave him a comfortable 995-vote victory over Desmond Sands of the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) in the 2013 general election.

Barbados TODAY’s Pulse of the People has found that Jones is losing his grip on his supporters, many of whom want very little, although for some, it is personal.

However, as is the case in Christ Church East, where constituents have a tough time backing Dr Denis Lowe again, Jones’ sliding support should bring little comfort to the BLP, which is putting up a new candidate next election in economist Ryan Straughn.

Of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) supporters who said they were withdrawing their support for the incumbent representative, none promised to switch allegiance to the BLP, which last won the seat in 1999, when Duncan Carter defeated Wendell Callender of the DLP by 3,227 votes to 2,149.

After three terms of Jones, who first won the seat in 2003 by defeating the BLP’s Rudy Grant by 2,524 votes to 2,244, DLP supporters seem quite content to stay home next election.

No one epitomizes that attitude like Juliette Nelson of Kingsland Terrace, who at one time was a sure vote for Jones. But things are different now with Nelson, who seems torn and indifferent.

“I don’t know . . . I don’t know if it really make a difference, dah is the truth,” she said.

The situation is the same with another DLP faithful, Mrs Elcock of Kingsland Main Road, who is still uncertain if she will cast a ballot when the time comes.

“I aint know yet [who she is voting for] ‘cause when I get there [at the polling booth] I don’t feel suh goodie, goodie. But I hoping to vote fuh somebody,” she said.

Being the parliamentary representative for three straight terms can come with its share of constituent fatigue. However, many of those who spoke to Barbados TODAY said they simply could not keep up with this Jones because this Jones was not keeping in touch with them; while others were unhappy with his level of representation.

There are those like Debra, who do not recall when last they saw their representative – who as Minister of Education has angered many a teacher with his somewhat caustic language – while there are others, such as the woman who wants to be identified only as A Very Unhappy Constituent, who did not even realize that Jones had been their Member of Parliament for 14 years.

“I am not happy with Ronald Jones’ representation . . . . I do not see Jones in my area. He does nothing for the people in Kingsland. I will vote for Straughn, but I want to meet him face-to-face,” Debra said, while A Very Unhappy Constituent who shares her home remarked: “I would not vote for him [Jones]. I prefer not to vote than to vote for him, dat’s de truth. In the eight years that he has been the representative up this side, [we] don’t see him, don’t hear him.

“Dey got a lot of roads up here want fixing. For the longest time dey had a cutout new road dey . . . there is nothing done wid it.”

Jessica Walcott

Sixty-three-year-old Jessica Walcott of Water Street was among the 3,259 people who voted to re-elect Jones in 2013. In fact, she has been a longtime party supporter.

Now she vows not to support anyone in the general election due next year, and her reasons are personal.

Having had her cries for help fall on death ears, Walcott has given up.

“I don’t tink I gine vote for nobody, cause they never, never help me. I remember a time I went to Ronald Jones office and I was crying and nobody never, ever help me. I don’t have no job . . . I does got to work with people who retire to get a dollar and it is very hard dat you going to do these tings and your representative is not helping you . . . .It don’t mek nuh sense. I am 63 now . . . and I am not going to get nuh Government job,” she complained.

Walcott is not the only one to give up on politicians. One Kingsland resident who requested anonymity expressed his feelings in a most profane manner.

“I have nothing to do with . . . [expletives] politicians. DLP or BLP, it gine be de same thing,” he said.

This resident simply gave his name as “Grant”.

Over on Church Hill Road, Jones once had the support of Grant and his family of four, who now plan to boycott the next election because of their disappointment in the representative.

“I just ain’t interested because all governments do the same thing. I used to support the Dees and I just say, ‘enough is enough’. I don’t care who get in or who don’t get in. And that goes probably for everybody in this house . . . cause everybody in this house say they ain’t going to the polls nuh more,” Grant said.

However, there are those, such as 83-year-old Elsie Mary Gill and Wilma Haynes, both of Water Street, who will stick with Jones no matter what.

Elsie Mary Gill

As far as Gill is concerned, Jones is there in times of distress, while Haynes is happy to receive her annual Christmas hamper. This is why Jones is assured of their votes on election day.

“Jones belongs tuh me . . . all along the lines is Ronald Jones. Ronald Jones is a man who would help yuh. If you in distress and you talk to him, he will help you,” said Gill, a mother of seven and grandmother of three.

“Round December I does get a food hamper from him . . . I will continue to support him,” added Haynes.

Perhaps the most direct of the constituents was ZR conductor Rommell Waithe, who was in the same house as Mrs Elcock when Barbados TODAY visited.

His logic was simple: “Who ever get me de money, I will work wid them . . . I straight up. . . .Whoever in . . . I still have to go out there and hustle for passengers ‘pon my van, right?  So who in or who out, I still got to work. It don’t really matter. If they get me my own van, sure, [I will vote].”

emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

37 Responses to Not Jonesing

1. Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 6:07 am

It boggles my mind why this media house is embarking on this venture. To me this is blatant push polling reminiscent of how CNN operated in the last USA elections.This is calculated and orchestrated to create a sentiment in the minds of the people in these constituencies and it is push polling at it’s highest. This is a bias agenda and it should be condemned.You people need to stop this. Why are candidates for one party selected for this apparent onslaught? This needs to stop! If the people minds are made up then let them do what they have to on their own accord and without your bias agenda based interference.

• hcalndre April 28, 2017 at 10:04 am

Sherlock Holmes, you got a radio station that is supposed to be the taxpayers own, not the hosts or the party in power and every day it pushes the DLP propaganda, every taxpayer are not DLP supporters and that old lady that say she gets a ham for Xmas, what about the other 364/5 days? if she was related to me the next ham that Jones bring, I would give it to the dogs in the neighborhood or tell him no thanks, many bajan voters are like that and they are some who goes to parliament to get the pan with the left-overs.

• Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 11:23 am

The difference between you and i hcaindre is that you are a shill. I do not subscribe to the notion that the state owned net work will be any different in it’s operations under any particular administration they both operate the same way! I can spot an agenda miles off, and this news medium has embarked on a sordid practice that has been prominently displayed in the USA elections and it hope that as a result of their actions the result is the same.I call a spade a spade and i am of the opinion the political landscape need new blood, but here it is that almost every week you have these reporters going into certain constituencies and doing this dastardly deed to influence the minds of the populace with these agenda based stories. It is folly in my opinion reminds me of the CNN anchor who said we couldn’t help her anymore than we are doing she literally has gotten a free pass from us. As i have stated if the people minds are made up for a change of government, then this media house does not need to aid and abet anyone with a free pass.

• Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 11:31 am

Correction…..should read and i hope that as a result of their actions the result is the same…..

• Rhea April 28, 2017 at 12:19 pm

@Sherlock Holmes, the bottom line is you are upset that people who willingly voted for your party in the past are saying they are fed up, their MPs are not performing. BT does not put the words in the people’s mouths, they speak of their own free will. I bet you if they were singing the praises of your failed government you would be singing a different tune. Instead of trying to whip the messenger, why not look at yourselves? Doesn’t it concern you that people are blatantly saying they will vote for Christmas hampers, or money? Doesn’t it concern you that people are saying their MPs are not performing? Doesn’t the level of voter apathy bother you? That is what I see in the stories that I have read. But then, you eyes are clouded and you cannot see.

2. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner April 28, 2017 at 6:11 am

Wow these people gine vote for a politician because of a food hamper that he gives them once a year that is laughable.

• Maria T Holdipp
      Maria T Holdipp April 28, 2017 at 7:22 am

Yea some bajans ain’t got no scruples… Hampers, gas, electronic devises and a $100 bill does get them to vote… Some of them licorish bad… Check out the rum shops in times to come, lil alcohol and few groceries from the shop gine turn some of them real bewitch​.

• Rawle Spooner
      Rawle Spooner April 28, 2017 at 7:26 am

Maria T Holdipp it should be base on good policy economic progress not some stupid food hamper once a year where is all the money spent on education going because these people not showing it.

3. Ricci Khan April 28, 2017 at 6:13 am

I am wondering about the Political agenda of two Media houses one owned by a foreign company.

4. Joan Brome
    Joan Brome April 28, 2017 at 6:36 am

This is how ppl operate

5. Harry April 28, 2017 at 7:07 am

These comments illustrate how disappointed, disillusioned & betrayed voters in Barbados are with Politicians whom we elect to serve us and then we serve them.

While the Govt has to be given a failing grade, the Opposition is not showing voters that they would be any different if elected. I suspect that there will be a low voter turnout. I have always taken great pride in voting but truthfully am considering withholding my vote next election

6. Randolph April 28, 2017 at 7:57 am

Imagine ,you will vote for a person because every December he brings a food hamper.No wonder Barbados is in the state it is in.After December you suck salt.

7. Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 11:02 am

“such as the woman who wants to be identified only as A Very Unhappy Constituent, who did not even realize that Jones had been their Member of Parliament for 14 years”.

Now this is a woman clearly stuck on stupid. So what is she unhappy about then???? She obviously living somewhere else, in another time and place.

Who of this people that ain’t got tunnel vision are bewitched to such a state that they cannot even see who these politicians are truly working for. Some only want a belly full. All this political lot doing, is the same things that the churches doing>>>>>>> CONNING this people. They are ALL truly, national heroes of Barbados>>>>>> BUT FOR WHOM????

8. Samuel Morrison April 28, 2017 at 11:05 am

It is this stupidity that being done by BarbadosvToday that lends to the political confusion in Barbados. Several of the persons depicted in the story do not live in Christ Church East Central. It is really absurd that the writer does not know the extent of the constituency since he lived at Wotton Housing Area some time ago. Furthermore, this level of irresponsible political jengoism does not allow for careful study and analysis of the options offered. Some of the comments reflect not a disillusionment with the political process but individuals who reflect their own weaknesses and insecurities and then blame others. Politicians are easy to blame because they are the end all and be all for some people. The country is on the wrong path yes, not because of politicians but because of the vulgar machinations of elements of the media who manufacture stories to suit their political ends. We all should be focused on rebuilding our society and economy which has undergone some major adjustments as a result of internal and external challenges. I find this preying on the vulnerabilities of citizens so that an offensive story can be written should cease. Journalism is not the lowest in our midst.

• Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 11:22 am

If I was in favor of another political party and I had the power in me to create spin and sway sub-thinking voters towards the other end of the podium which would benefit my company making it more prosperous I would do it too. Subtility is an art and a skill used for many years. Black people are no longer there for the selling but for the taking/USING. All this is a clear reflection of an uneducated people. Those lot in the universities in the same boat too. The best education one can attain is on SELF, then start from there and progress. Lack of a knowing of self by this people is a problem in which our politicians are fully to be blamed.

• Rhea April 28, 2017 at 12:23 pm

You sound like Donald Trump

• Jennifer May 1, 2017 at 8:41 pm

That would be good because I would be for the protection and love of MY PEOPLE and my country, just like he is, not like our politicians who is for the 1% of barbados and tricking poor old black people for a ham. Jacka^^.

9. Sunshine Sunny Shine April 28, 2017 at 11:57 am

Jesius H Christ. You mean a man can buy your vote with just a Food Hamper. You mean all the DLP got to do is buy several food hampers and pay several bills and votes are assured. Now we see why vote buying is the way to go. 99.9% illiterate.

• Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 12:50 pm

SSS.. careful there i have noticed you are literally taking the Lord’s name in vain, he warned us about doing such i like your contributions but please consider his ways and words and be wise.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine April 29, 2017 at 4:14 am

Sherlock Holmes

And did the Lord not warn that all those who say, lord, llord will not enter the kingdom of heaven? I hope you are a true believer, and not a sounding brass and tinkling cymbal. A word to the wise as well.

• Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 12:54 pm

@SSS – hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Hungry people make poor shoppers. The belly full posse.

• Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 1:13 pm

SSS – research the letter J if you have not done so already. J only existed from about 400 – 500yrs ago. The next question should be where did the name Jesus Christ come from??????? And that goes for all words beginning with J and V too. Deception great.

• Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 3:17 pm

You are truly an amazing author of some very strange canards. I see that you profess to be well read but i do wonder. You sometimes leave me more confused than enlightened Jennifer.

• Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 3:39 pm

@Sherlock H – Don’t get me wrong Sir. I do understand what you are saying, it just not have any factual basis. Blinkers is the problem with the majority of this people.

10. AJG April 28, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I don’t have the time to read through all the comments, but all I can say is that instead of opening columns/articles to create “shaming space” on individuals (regardless of how much I despise the active party right now and am glad to hear at least one DLP rep is in deep poo), what the media SHOULD be doing is blatantly, continuously, persistently, be promoting how important it is that EVERY person eligible to vote goes out and votes. All these people saying “it ain’t gon mek nuh difference” – well hello?! If a thousand people saying that, and that thousand goes out and votes in the same way, it could very well make a difference!

Do not waste something as valuable as the right to vote democratically and have the government hear the people’s choice.

11. Helicopter(8P) April 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm

It’s now a new Barbados in the line of politics. If you are not prepared to be among the people after their vote, then it’s a sad ending down the road. Our political system will not be a fly by night entitlement. They are many persons wthin the island who do much volunteer activity and are involved in community. The island need specialized persons in the Information age because that’s what government has to master in this global village of today. We need to take a look at how Japan’s Diet does business. I am embaressed when I see we are falling behind countries that looked up to us for solutions and answers yesteryear! We have no sevare weather patterns, except for droughtful years lately. We are now getting grasp of our water management hopefully with positive results. So I would hope that representatives for the people take an honest oath to country and citizens!

12. Mikey April 28, 2017 at 3:24 pm

@Jennifer, After reading much of what you have said in these columns, I have concluded that you are afraid to say what you REALLY mean. You are unable to speak directly and exactly what you mean and continue like some others to talk in PARABLES.
    IT IS A WASTE OF TIME TALKING AND TALKING AND NOT BEING UNDERSTOOD. INDEED I WILL NEVER ASK YOU OR ANYONE ELSE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN. KEEP ON TALKING IN PARABLES AND KEEP ON BEING UNDERSTOOD BY YOU AND YOU ALONE !

• Jennifer April 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm

@Mikey – Well said. There are many who do understand. Believe you me. Not every one has a limited thought process.

• Sherlock Holmes. April 28, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Mikey is this sarcastic encouragement?

13. Carson C. Cadogan April 30, 2017 at 11:29 am

I wonder why it is the duty of the BAJAN NEWS MRDIA to side against the Democratic Labour Party?

Can you answer that for Kaymar?

What is it that the Barbados Labour Party has promised the BAJAN NEWS MEDIA to do for them if they win the Govt.? I recall the last time they won the Govt. almost overnight Bajan “journalists” were made Ministers Personal Assistants, PR Managers for Govt. agencies, and other Govt. jobs being paid obscene amounts of money so that they wont print the truth about the Barbados Labour Party.

What has Mia promised you Emanuel? She will send you back to CBC as Manager?

• Sunshine Sunny Shine April 30, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I really do not like you because you are a political lackey but you are right. I notice that when the piece about Mottley wanting more parliamentarians was presented by Barbados Today, and the criticism was stinging, it disappeared in a flash. Yet the one with Jonesing remains. I also find that any pieces concerning Mottley are removed within days. It is clear to me as it is to you that this online news agency is pushing a partisan objective.

14. Lorenzo May 1, 2017 at 9:49 am

SSS i tell you that like ccc you are a political lackey as well. you stated that some of Ms Mottley ,s stories has been pulled yet i see a story called fake promises on page 4 still up,so you ,ccc ,Maureen holder ,the Trini Dem,Ms Undecided Dem,and others could hold hands because you all can,t take the avalanche of criticism coming from all quarters so the media got an agenda against the Government.Really were you in Barbados prior to 2008 when callers like the Trini ,rawle ,the taximan,MrPand MsP used to call,moderators like Maxine McClean,tony Marshall,Marsha Hinds-Layne,andDavid Ellis.I wrest my case hyprocrite.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine May 1, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Lorenzo

There was an article up about Mottley believing that more parliamentarians were needed for the small island affairs (bare joker). The comments on that were stinging because the silly woman throw out a sprat in thehope of getting whatever the shyte she was hoping to get or see. I criticized the silly woman who have a tendency to lean too much to her indifferent self. The article did not last a week before it was pulled. This was not the first article featuring addresses by Mottley that was pulled. The problem with you is that you see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow with Mia Mottley. I, unfortunately, see something more sinister and psuedo. But, if you need to know, let me tell you. Tell Mia Mottley that I have said repeatedly that in her is the ability to become one of the best leaders Barbados ever had. The silly woman is very articulate and knowledgeable. However, in her is also the indifference to be the worst because she thinks her tongue is all she needs. And many times, she has spoken a whole lot of articulate nonsense in defense of many of her foolish things. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, if she starts to address the real issues of governance, and that is:

ACCOUNTABILITY
      TRANSPARENCY
      INTEGRITY
      ANTICORRUPTION LEGISLATION
      WHISTLE BLOWER LEGISLATION
      MORE POWER TO THE AUDITOR GENERAL
      THE FINANCIAL WASTAGE OF BOTH PARTIES OVER THE YEARS
      FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
      REFERENDUMS ON MAJOR GOVERNMENT PROJECTS AND MAJOR DECISIONS THAT CAN IMPACT BARBADOS
      RECRUITMENT REFORM
      AND ON AND ON

These are the real issues of two parties who have ignored their importance deliberately and intentionally.

WE CLEAR DREAD?

15. Carson C. Cadogan May 1, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Lorenzo

Go back to your mates at Barbadosunderground. Birds of a feather flock together.

16. Lorenzo May 1, 2017 at 3:52 pm

CCC i know you beleive i am Prodigal Son on B u but iam going to tell you only once i am not him but having seen you receive an award for your yardfowlism from mr blackett recently,i am here to deal with your half truths and alternative facts.as for SSS,i don,t know of any side of Ms Mottley which can be worst than the current PM maybe you can enligthen me ,since you and Jennifer are the beholders of intelligence in Barbados.

• Jennifer May 1, 2017 at 8:48 pm

@Lorenzo – One of the things I do not eat and REFUSE to eat is scratch grain. U 1% a$$ high in the tree and proudly practicing vulturism. But I can assure you that your beaks and wings will soon be broken. YOU WILL NEITHER BE ABLE TO FLY OR EAT ANYMORE.

17. Sunshine Sunny Shine May 1, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Lorenzo

I really do not want to call you a bare pooch chicken. So please stop trying to pin a label that is not me. First, I do not profess to be the beholder of intelligence. I am not into blowing trumpets and bragging about achievements. I do not even bother to correct spelling errors or grammar because this is not an exam and I certainly ain’t getting paid. However, I love the island to whence I was born. Do you? So it hurts me when people laugh at the position Barbados now finds itself in, especially other Caribbean nationals. Now I have exhausted my discontent towards the Prime Minister of Silence,pretense, and Ignorant things said. Mottley, more than likely, will be the next Prime Minister and before she delve deep into any shyte doing, I am making it my duty to point out what is needed to stop the rot dished out by two crooked over the years parties so she can come clean instead of dirty. Sorry if it hurts you, but many people are hurting because of where these two parties has brought Barbados.