IAAF-Barbados takes silver in men’s 4x100m relay

If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, then yours is the world relays title.

Okay, that wasn’t exactly how Rudyard Kipling put it all those years ago, but never did the English writer’s words ring as true as in Nassau on Saturday night as the United States’ men’s 4x100m squad retained their title in 38.43 at the IAAF World Relays Bahamas 2017.

Earlier in the evening, Jamaica threw their chance – and their baton – away in the heats, third leg runner Jevaughn Minzie failing to grab the stick from Kemar Bailey-Cole. That left team anchor Yohan Blake looking forlorn at the top of the home straight, awaiting an incoming runner that would never arrive.

In the final, all eyes were on two teams – Canada and the US – as sprint heavyweights Justin Gatlin and Andre De Grasse awaited the baton expecting, as they did in the heats, to go toe-to-toe in a home-stretch duel.

But then it all fell apart, at least for the Canadians.

Second leg runner Aaron Brown managed to get the baton into the hand of teammate Brendan Rodney, but only for a fraction of a second. As he swung his arm through it slid from his grasp, their hopes of getting one over on their US rivals sliding away with it.

However, the US did not, as expected, have things all their own way thereafter.

As they approached the final exchange, Britain’s Daniel Talbot was locked together with Ronnie Baker of the US, but 20-year-old British anchor Ojie Edoburun, in what could only be described as an example of vast inexperience, set sail for the finish far too early.

That left Talbot chasing in vain to hand over the baton inside the zone, an impossible task.

“Everything happens for a reason,” said Talbot. “We’ll learn from this mistake.”

Amid the calamity occurring all around them, the US team, anchored by Justin Gatlin, executed their final changeover with precision, giving them an unassailable lead.

Gatlin, a different calibre of athlete to those chasing behind, was never going to relinquish such an advantage, and he duly brought the US home to retain their title in 38.43, with Barbados taking second in 39.18, marginally in front of Australia (39.22).

“I haven’t really run the anchor leg before but my teammates put me in a good position to bring home the gold,” said Gatlin.

In addition to the medallists, Australia and France secured qualification for the IAAF World Championships London 2017 courtesy of their respective fourth- and fifth-place finishes. However, because the Netherlands failed to finish along with Britain and Canada – the remaining three places went to the top three in the B-race.

In that, Trinidad and Tobago spoiled the party for the hosts, with Dan-Neil Telesford producing an inspired final leg to power past Bahamas to take victory in 39.04. Germany took second in 39.15, with Bahamas marginally behind in third (39.18).

(IAAF)

17 Responses to IAAF-Barbados takes silver in men’s 4x100m relay

1. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall April 23, 2017 at 4:11 am

Congrats

2. Marva Maynard April 23, 2017 at 5:16 am

Well done Guys

3. Margaret Bascombe
    Margaret Bascombe April 23, 2017 at 6:06 am

Congrats

4. Margaret Thorpe
    Margaret Thorpe April 23, 2017 at 6:30 am

Congratulations lads

5. Samantha Best April 23, 2017 at 6:36 am

We have the names of the teams that had the errors! Who were the members of the Barbados team that earned the Silver Medal?

6. Rmsarge April 23, 2017 at 6:57 am

Mario Burke Ramon Gittens Nicholas Deshong Burkheart Ellis Jr.

7. Mark Adamson April 23, 2017 at 7:05 am

This article is so lopsided in describing what the Jamaicans did (did not do), what the Canadians did (did not do), the British did (did not do) – all of whom did not medal, and in NOT describing what the Barbadians did (did not do), even though they came second and got a silver medal.

Imagine in a news article of just over 375 words – and titled “IAAF-Barbados takes silver in men’s 4×100 m relay”, that the part “with Barbados taking second in 39.18, marginally in front of Australia (39.22)”, ten words – is the only thing referring to the second place Barbadian finishers.

This article is very disappointing in regard of failing to give tribute to the Barbadians.

No mention has been made of the names of the Barbadian runners. Yet what Talbot and Gatlin were reported to have said about the race after the race were quoted.

It would have done us better had Barbados Today did not bring this article. It was very biassed against our Barbadian athletes.

Barbados Today could have done their own article on the race by pulling together representations of the event from other news sources, and not reproduced a mediocre IAAF report.

Anyhow, a big Congratulations to the Barbados men’s 4×100
    metres relay team.

Congratulations!!

8. Rose Joie
    Rose Joie April 23, 2017 at 8:30 am

A headline like that and NOT ONE paragraph of your OWN men!! Was this article written by a BafbadosToday staffer ??? Our men EXECUTED when chaos was going on around them!!! Focussed. Determined. Reaolute. Finishers. Basics. Where is my article for.me?? chupse BarbadosToday

9. DE April 23, 2017 at 8:46 am

First let me congratulate the Barbados men team for the achievement in the 4×100 relay.

Mark Adamson, I want to congratulate you also for saving me from having to do so much typing.
    It meant that we both read the same article.

What a shame.

10. FL April 23, 2017 at 9:09 am

Congrats to the fantastic Bajans. What a run on the last leg to beat the Chinese on the line not the Australians as recorded in this poorly written insulting article. The commentators were even worse in their bias. A giggling female commentator who never even mentioned Barbados finished second went on and on about the lousy British team that never finished. Some of the worst sports commentary I ever heard. This Bajan relay set up can go places with Levi Cadogan and Hoyte in reserve. Congrats on the silver fellas keep working hard. You did Barbados proud.

11. orlando April 23, 2017 at 9:59 am

mark . you got it right . i said that same thing before . very pood summerizing. i ask then to go get some writers from the nation ,cause dem only wasting time over there . andy thornhill would be nice . never give a good mummery about barbados pride , our own but just summerise a game with leeward islands and guyana. oh what a shame.

12. Coralita April 23, 2017 at 10:15 am

Congratulations to Ramon Gittens, Mario Burke, Berthart Ellis Jr., and Nicholas DeShone (hope I spelt the names correctly). I watched this race Live and shouted and screamed and cheered our guys on, man I jumped for joy.

Then last night I came online to see what the press reported and saw this article and I could not make any sense of it, I thought it was only me. Disappointing to say the least. The other newspaper has not reported it at all. I am so sick and tired of how our athletes are treated.

13. Mona Robinson April 23, 2017 at 10:28 am

Let me begin by saying that if Mark Adamson is who I think he is, I have no hesitation in taking credit for having taught him at the Christ Church Foundation School. If I didn’t I am grateful for his comments. Even I looked at the responses, I was already annoyed and that is putting it mildly, with the replication of an article in a Barbadian newspaper, which did no justice to the victory of our Barbadian athletes. Thankfully Mark has so appropriately hit the nail on the head that there is only the need for me to support his position and to add that 95 of the supposed journalists in Barbados need serious re-training!!!!!

14. Kevin April 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Maybe this article was copied and pasted from somewhere elsr. I wouldnt put that pass BT.

15. Ev April 23, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Ramon does still run

16. fedup April 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Congrats. Meanwhile I am going to assume that a Bajan did not write this article.

17. Livy Livingstone
    Livy Livingstone April 24, 2017 at 3:05 am

The worst commentary ever at a world rated event. No mention of the second placed team although they were on screen the entire race. Not only that Barbados was always in the mix . The Chinese outran us on the third leg alone only to be beaten by a fantastic chase on the line got mentioned more frequently than the team that cut their ass. Incompetent teams who dropped their batons got more chatter than teams with podium finishes except of course the Americans anchored by twice banned Gatlin.