New kite-flying tradition takes to skies over KGV Park

The dying art of kite-making and kite-flying has prompted young St Philip residents to start a new annual tradition of making and helping to fly kites for community children.

For the second year, old school friends John Jones and Akeem Mason will be coordinating the distribution of kites to children from across the island.

Akeem Mason

“When I brought the idea to John, I realized he was thinking the same thing,” Mason, 25, said. “We just want to bring back the excitement of making kites and flying them.”

Come Easter Monday, the Kite Flying Extravaganza and Giveback will be held in King George V Memorial Park. It is expected to host children of all ages.

This year John, a professional basketball player on contract in Australia, won’t be at the park but Akeem, a craftsman by trade has enrolled the help of fellow alumni of Graydon Sealy Secondary School – the former Garrison Secondary – some of whom also live in St Philip and youngsters from his district in Marley Vale.

“Last Easter when I was home I didn’t see any kites in the community,” Jones, brother of national athlete Akeela Jones said from Australia. “So I decided it was part of my childhood and I didn’t want to see this cultural practice vanish. I am not there but the event has to go on for the kids.”

The team, which includes popular St Philip DJ Dwayne ‘Prodigy’ Pinder has spent the last week making kites from scratch, starting with the frames. “It is important to give back, especially to children who are in need and tend to feel left out,” he said.

“If you have the resources, you don’t have to have money, if you can bring people together that can help the cause,” he added.

Folklorist G. Addinton Forde, author of the monogram Kites and a judge at the annual kite flying competition at the Garrison Savannah in the late 1980s and 1990s, will also be on hand to assist the young kite flyers.

The event starts at 10:30 a.m. (PR)

6 Responses to New kite-flying tradition takes to skies over KGV Park

1. Peter April 15, 2017 at 10:08 am

Competition on… Smallest, Largest, Most colourful patchwork, Best design, Best School kite, using school colours and logo etc. Best Corporate, Best political party design, I can go on… Make it worthwhile, make it happen…..

2. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 15, 2017 at 10:51 am

Tradition! During the school holidays we made kites. Girls? Yes, Girls!

3. Rosa Mendez April 15, 2017 at 11:17 am

I just love to see them in the air….not a fan of the noisy ones though. Can someone tell me about the no fly zones. Traveling around the island and I’m not sure where they are.

• Jennifer April 15, 2017 at 2:11 pm

@Rosa Mendez – This area runs from Oistins, Christ Church to Boarded Hall, St. George, Brereton and Six Roads, St. Philip and back to South Point and Oistins. Other areas include Silver Hill, Gall Hill, Kingsland, Wotton, Maxwell, Cane Vale, Newton, Scarborough, Pegwell and Gibbons, all in Christ Church. Kite flying has also been prohibited in Thornbury Hill, Silver Sands, Ealing Park, Wilcox, Lowlands, Coverley and Charnocks. The boundary extends to Pilgrim Road, Fairy Valley, Durants, Callenders, Chancery Lane, Parish Land and Lead Vale.

The St. Philip communities of Gemswick, Mangrove, Heddings, Foul Bay, Ocean City, Diamond Valley and Rock Hall have also been listed in the no kite flying zone.

4. Peter April 15, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Go to Georgetown Guyana On Easter Monday, tens of thousands of all kinds od kites are mounted This all happens on the famous Sea Wall where they look like coloured dots with tails> Nuff food and drinks. One thing for sure. No one will starve down there. Not even the over 15,000 Bajan squatters. Wunna go see um fuh wunna self…

• hcalndre April 15, 2017 at 5:39 pm

@Peter; Growing up I love a kite like a butcher loves a pig, (laugh). But what I want to big you up on, is the number of bajans, 1500 plus, that are squatters in Guyana. When I hear that woman with the heavy Trinidad accent and a few others talking about a few squatters in barbados and what they want doing with, I know that bajans really believe that bajans are not in other people`s country as illegals. The Guyanese told the bajans that they are brothers and sisters and are welcome, while they were sent out of bardados and told, “however welcome, wait for a call”. I would not want to see this happen but say the Guyanese, USA and Canada round up all the illegals and pack them back to b`dos especially with the state the economy is in, you would hear that was unfair to barbados but what goes around comes around.