‘Massa Day’ not done – teacher

The controversy surrounding the marking of school-based assessment (SBA) projects reemerged Tuesday night from a different angle, when one teacher who marks oral projects accused the Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) of behaving as though “Massa Day” was still alive and well.

Secondary school teacher Charlette Alleyne-Greene complained of inequality in the treatment of those who mark the subjects, stating that only the teachers who conduct oral assessments in English are paid.

“I am the history teacher. I am teaching my children that ‘Massa Day done’, slavery ended,” Alleyne-Greene said after CXC Registrar and Chief Executive Officer Glenroy Cumberbatch had delivered a lecture on the subject at the Queen’s Park Steel Shed.

Charlette Alleyne-Greene

“The language teacher is getting $62.50 [per hour] to conduct that oral [test] which would be seen as a Paper 3 in that exam. I’m not getting a dollar; not a cent to conduct three drafts for 60 students.

“That’s is not fair. I think it is about time that there be equality being shown to the markers of the SBAs across the board, not just in one area but all the subject disciplines,” added Alleyne-Greene, who said she continued to mark the SBAs at her school and had received commendation for work done with her students.

Her complaint came against the backdrop of a March for Respect last week organized by the Barbados Secondary Teachers’ Union (BSTU) to protest against Government’s insistence that they would not be paid for marking the projects.

The BSTU has maintained that marking SBAs, which are administered by the CXC, was not part of their job description and they should be paid for the extra work.

The union, whose objection to correcting SBAs date back to 1997, has also contended that the CXC has been paying some teachers for marking other papers.

Cumberbatch last night confirmed that language teachers “are paid still to conduct orals”, but told Alleyne-Greene, “first you should ask and find out who pays the language teachers to conduct the orals”.

Meantime, retired Deputy Principal of the University of the West Indies Professor Pedro Welch adopted a position different from the aggrieved educators, saying he felt SBAs were helpful to teachers.

“It was an aid to me,” he said, reflecting on his teaching days when he marked nine SBAs per fifth form student.

“I never viewed SBAs as an imposition. In fact, I saw it as inviting me to follow a curriculum, and to test and assess my students in response to delivery of that curriculum.”

Welch also queried whether the system had changed to justify the BSTU’s complaints, to which Cumberbatch suggested the grading exercise might have become even easier.

“Instead of doing those nine [projects] you would do one project now for history. And that one project can also be a
group project. It will be for more than one student within that process.

“We have looked at it. We tried not to remove that aspect of teachers’ contribution to information that will help us make judgements of the pupil’s ability, but we’ve tried to make it in a way that works for both purposes  – to assist teachers in doing it, but also to give good reliable information to us.”

Cumberbatch said teachers had been an integral part of CXC from its inception, and they had pushed for SBAs.

“The role of the teachers was very well defined and very well stated from the outset. And as part of that role the Jamaica Teachers Association lobbied very hard for the Caribbean Examinations Council to include as part of its assessment the teachers’ views and the teachers’ contribution.

“And that was the genesis of the school-based assessment, which was then promoted around the region by JTA through CUT [Caribbean Union of Teachers] to become an important part of teachers’ involvement in the assessment and the contribution of their toil and their work into formulating the final assessment of the student,” the CXC official said.

18 Responses to ‘Massa Day’ not done – teacher

1. Jennifer April 13, 2017 at 12:31 am

Now you see why and where the source of all of our children and people being misled stems from and all of this blindness. This is a history teacher teaching that massah day done. Woman look around, where is is done? ????? You don’t see that they own and control all of the business infrastructure. I tell you people stop sending your children to school. For heavens sake.

2. Ras Small
    Ras Small April 13, 2017 at 1:09 am

Slavery never ended fah us, it evolved.

• Jennifer April 13, 2017 at 1:50 am

This is why they never paid any reparations to this people. That will be sheer IRONY. You are still is a slave. And you teachers are also sitting in that big pawn boat teaching the children from their misinformed doctored books etc and feeling so good retiring after so many years of a successful career. WAKE TO HELL UP.

3. Whitehill April 13, 2017 at 2:00 am

I wonder how long this subject ” Massa Day Done” has been taught in schools. Maybe not for long, even so, the students aren’t tekkin in.

4. jrsmith April 13, 2017 at 6:01 am

@,Jennifer , hail, hail , as usual 2 good shots right on target……
    I want to remind you of (Mr king ) comments yesterday….
    Mr, King this is for you. have you the guts to support a sister…….

Who are we waiting on to be free, when will the day come I always say , how our black bajans is treated , for me is like having rodents , you are going to buy something to kill the same , but the stuff you are buying is made by the said rodents …. do you win or loose…………………

5. Jennifer April 13, 2017 at 6:59 am

jrsmith – hail hun – can you please read the article on the bottom titiled UN on child sex in haiti.

6. Carlisle Norville April 13, 2017 at 9:31 am

The question i am asking as a very concerned bagan is ( do we understand the statement by King Solomon the wisest Black man that ever lived (he said.O ye Daughter’s of Jaruesalem why do you
    look @ me & smile, is it because I am Black,the sun has smiled upon me ,I am Black but comely another man’s vineyard I have kept but I have not kept my own,( the same applies today for people of color here in Barbados, men & women boast that they
    are University graduates, or that they went to Harrisons college,
    when they enter the workforce they (keep another man’s vineyard
    the white bagans vineyard, black people do not pool their resources as white Bagan’s do, & become independent ?when will
    the Education system in Barbados be changed from learning everything about white people, to learning about the black great achievements, I tired of hearing the white man’s story & i would like to here my true Black History ( which is so great & wonderfull.

7. Carlisle Norville April 13, 2017 at 9:35 am

The question i am asking as a very concerned began is ( do we understand the statement by King Solomon the wisest Black man that ever lived (he said.O ye Daughter’s of Jerusalem why do you
    look @ me & smile, is it because I am Black, the sun has smiled upon me ,I am Black but comely another man’s vineyard I have kept but I have not kept my own,( the same applies today for people of color here in Barbados, men & women boast that they
    are University graduates, or that they went to Harrisons college,
    when they enter the workforce they (keep another man’s vineyard

• jennifer April 13, 2017 at 9:58 am

@Carlisle – all praises to the holy one of the true ISRAEL. it is called being dead of self. The identity needs to be restored above all else. That BIBLE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS PEOPLE. AND NO ONE ELSE. THIS PEOPLE IS NOTHING BUT PAWNS. AND A SEE SUCKER FOR USURY. Telling people they blind when it is their A$$e$$. Keeping the white lot and the Indians wealthy. Being educated by the white serpent system with their MASTER in hand. This new pharoah is great in might and power.

• jennifer April 13, 2017 at 9:59 am

See is a typo

• jennifer April 13, 2017 at 10:10 am

From the fridge to the computer to the cell phone Black men invented. Not being highlighted. The Christ was a BLACK MAN FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH. Just LIKE king SOLOMON. THE CHURCH IN IT TOO.

8. Donild Trimp April 13, 2017 at 9:41 am

Charlette, you are wrong, dead wrong.

Let me put it in capital letters for you – “massa day “NOT” done and slavery “NOT” done – just masked to con the un-sophisticated.

I would hate to think that as a History teacher you fell for the con.

• jennifer April 13, 2017 at 10:12 am

Well said donild. She fell for the con like the rest of the lot.

9. Ossie Moore April 13, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I Ossie Moore am just here sitting and pondering about those day when we as secondary studenty decided to take Oxford and Cambridge, London or Cambridge Certificats of Education at Ordinary or Advanced levels. It used to be the talk on campus on which one was better for the studies you wanted to persue. If you wanted to delve into natural science and economics you would just study mostly London University questioneer or mock exams and so visa virsa? It was sort of fun blazing through your preferance of choise. Now we have to worry about all this confusion. “Lord mek peace”!

10. Alex Alleyne April 13, 2017 at 3:10 pm

WHO EVER SAID THEY WERE. You only feel it when it hit home.
    Alive and well in BIM and don’t think that a change of personel in the political office will change anything.

11. Sue April 13, 2017 at 5:29 pm

The teacher made that statement to say clearly the students are taught that Massa Day Done but obviously she is being enslaved by the system that assess the students.

12. Bajan keeping it real. April 13, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I would like to personally congratulate Charlette Alleyne-Greene for making her comment.
    I would also like to ask all the commentators to look inward and outward & see who is enslaving who.
    Example: Who are the people in our parliament?

• Jennifer April 14, 2017 at 12:16 am

@Bajan keeping it real – I have you loud and clear. Now out of respect I would like to invite you to look at the house negro and the field negro speech by Malcolm X on u tube. The lot of trusted politicians in parliament is in the house negro category. They were given some food, education, clothes, status, etc to go and sit there being stooges to keep this people down and poor. This is why this people will NEVER rise to any prosperity because that lot is now the whipping boy, for the majority. Just like the good ole days of massah. And I am sure that if you did an even more diligent search and analysis that you will find that every system was set up to ensure that black people fail and stay at the bottom, starting with the lot in parliament (DOGS THAT CANNOT BARK OR BITE).