Jehovah Witnesses here worried over Russian court ruling

Members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses faith here have expressed concern about the plight of fellow Witnesses in Russia, which is seeking to ban the religious organization altogether.

Russia’s Supreme Court Thursday upheld the decision of a Russian city to ban Jehovah’s Witnesses as an extremist group.

The millenarian restorationist Christian church has come under increasing pressure over the past year, with the authorities there banning its distribution of literature deemed to violate Russia’s anti-extremism laws, and an outright ban in the Far East city of Birobidzhan.

Prior to Thursday’s ruling, Media Services Representative Nigel Evason told Barbados TODAY he was worried about the fate of the 170,000 adherents in Russia.

Nigel Evason

“If the Supreme Court rules against the Jehovah’s Witnesses denomination it will criminalize their activity. Their activity of meeting together to read and study the Bible would be seen as criminal activity.

“We are concerned about the plight of our brothers and sisters in Russia which was brought to our attention . . . . If the ruling comes against the Witnesses the state will confiscate the over 2,000 Kingdom Halls dotted across the country,” Evason said.

He explained that it was difficult to fathom why the Russian government would target the religious group, which objects to military service, refuses to salute national flags, and rejects blood transfusions, and which is committed to the belief that the Bible must be taken literally, particularly its injunction, Thou shalt not kill.

“We do not get involved in politics, but we do not oppose the government of the day. We are law-abiding and pay our taxes. We follow all of the legal requirements, but we do not engage in hostilities between our country and another. We would engage in civic service so long it is not militarily related. We are happy to do anything for the community,” he said.

The church official saw the development as a throwback to the days of the Soviet Union, when Jehovah’s Witnesses were hounded as spies and malcontents by the KGB, which banished thousands to Siberia.

34 Responses to Jehovah Witnesses here worried over Russian court ruling

1. Khati D
    Khati D'Souza April 7, 2017 at 5:00 am

Right, so get a taste of how muslims does feel.

2. Bonita Weekes
    Bonita Weekes April 7, 2017 at 6:46 am

Be fair, they might come bothering you at the wrong time but I never heard that a Jehovah Witness strapped themselves with a bomb and kill people, neither do they call all Christians infidels and want to kill them.

3. Tessa Trotman
    Tessa Trotman April 7, 2017 at 7:35 am

The true king james bible people so if you think your religion is highly favoured . And beyond tormenting wanna have to take licks too . So as in the days of Noah . It shall be again .

4. Jennifer April 7, 2017 at 9:40 am

All of that religion thing is rubbish anyway. None of it is even biblical. Bible – HISTORY and FUTURISTIC book about the SAME people, and no one else. Plain and simple. Lovely book for reading too.

5. Marcia Jpaul
    Marcia Jpaul April 7, 2017 at 10:00 am

Wow…they can be very annoying but I don’t have a problem with them I’ve learn to not answer my door on Tuesdays..etc ..

6. Alex Alleyne April 7, 2017 at 10:19 am

It will make better reading to bring Bajans up to speed with the selling of the headquarters in Brooklyn to whom and the billions of $$$$$ made from real estate with little or no investment in the black community in Brooklyn.

7. C. McGuire April 7, 2017 at 11:26 am

Alex, may I recommend that you do a bit of research into all of the community and volunteer work that they do. How they are the first group to mobilize and respond to natural disasters all over the world. Also, how on Sept 11, they opened the doors to all their buildings to care for the injured. I lived in Brooklyn, and saw the good for myself.

8. Frank White April 7, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Religion is a problem on the whole and is responsible for all this mess that’s going on. If you want to be a member of a religious organization, fine but it should be kept to yourself as I am oppose to this going door to door forcing their belief upon persons. They all say that this mysterious god is the founder of their religious organizations but they all lie because a man or a woman was the founder as in the case of the Jehovah Witnesses organization whose founder was Charles T. Russell, a known Freemason… Mormans…Joseph Smith who was known to walk around with a talisman, Seventh Day Adventist…Ellen Gould White, Nation of Islam…Farad Muhammad / Elijah Muhammad, United Nuwaubians Worldwide…Dr. Malachi Z. York another known freemason and this list can go on and on…

• Jennifer April 7, 2017 at 3:38 pm

@Frank White – Well stated. ANYTHING AND ANYONE CAN BE A GOD. Mind you all this black people yet again with their head FIRMLY STUCK IN THE WHITE MAN SHYTE/DUNG. Cannot come out. And that Ellen White was a Mason Too. Look carefully at the OBELISK on her grave. All that religion got all of this people PLACID and wicked as hell to their own people too. Xma$ $hyte, Lenten $hyte, Ea$ter Shyte, (since when does a bunny lay eggs), NEW YEAR$ $hyte. All garbage and connected to a SERIES OF DEMON GODS. LOOK IT UP IF YOU HAVE THE GUTS.

• Sebastian April 8, 2017 at 9:28 am

If you read the bible from A to Z, then you will notice that the Israelites (read numbers) always fell into sins. Even after reaching the promised land, they turned their back to God. In numbers you read several times that a Judge stood up, restored their relationship with God and fought against nations that were hostile within the promised land.

Every time that happens, the Israelites fall back into their old habits and left God and start worship Gods from surrounding countries. 100 Years pass by, and another Judge stood up. The same ritual starts over again and over.

After Christ left the earth, his disciples started congregations. And the Apostle Paul visit those congregations in several countries. But then you see that the Apostles got persecuted, killed because of their faith in Christ. And the good old bad habit of mankind came around the corner. They got afraid, didn’t search for God anymore and went back to their daily habit.

So yes, there have been a founder to start a religion. Someone or a group that stands up and restore the essence of the bible. This is also what Charles T. Russell did. And because they where bible explorers, they found out that several things that Christianity was teaching wasn’t right. And also that several things Jesus teached his disciples didn’t end when he went back to his father. But need to be done till he comes back. And that is preaching about Gods Kingdom.

So mentioning that God is the founder of a religion would be crazy. Christ is a founder of the first congregation. I would ask myself the question: Do I need a Religion to serve God? (Matthew 18:20)

If I answer it with yes, based on “that he is de founder of the first congregation”. And he tells us he will be with us if we do so. Then I would investigate every religion on their teaching.

Where to start? I’ve started on my own, with the following question…. Who is God? What is his name or is it a God without a name?

I’ve started with the root of the Bible. Old and New Testament are written in Hebrew and Greek. So I bought several bibles and Toras. Bought a Hebrew language course, found out Jesus name written in Hebrew. (Also elijah or Jesaiah) Take a Hebrew alphabet, then take a Tora (Hebrew to English, or one in your own language) find Gods name or title and translate that yourself. Compare the names with the one of God (from within the torah) and you will be suprised that he has a name.
      But this also shook my world, cause the outcome was not what I’ve expected. I bought more bibles (old states translations). And my world shook more, cause I found more evidence of his name.

My journey has been a rollercoaster. And I wanted to share my disturbing outcome with as as many people as I could. But most people (almost everyone) didn’t want to listen, because most religions are the seed of all wars. And the’re a lot of lies within most religions. Or they’ve got no neutral position when I talk about my Journey.

I’m not sure if a belief must be kept to ourselfs. Because if someone is aware that a person lies to you, wouldn’t you be thankfull if that person would tell you? And if you also knows the truth about that case, wouldn’t you be happy if he also tells you that?

That’s what Jehovah Witnessess believe, and tries to share this with people. If someone doesn’t want to listen, then that’s their choice. But every person can change (just like me) and perhaps then the person likes to hear them out. That’s why they come back!

But even if you’re within a religion or thinks that you can do it yourself. God expects us individually to search for Him and the truth.

9. IFA April 7, 2017 at 3:10 pm

This is the problem, if you were to focus on the message, not the imperfect people behind the message you’d have a completely different view. Most who comment negatively have not taken the time to listen. Remember Christ also was persecuted, and said those who follow him would also be persecuted. In time, Jehovah God will clear his name and his people. Sit back and watch. I for one, am very grateful to have learned the truth and has affected my life very positively.

10. jrsmith April 7, 2017 at 3:49 pm

With all these manufactured religions , at the last count I did read in a very popular news paper, over 70 versions of the bible 376 different religions names mostly black people….
    @,Jennifer , hail ,hail on tap again, but dont you think its time we had our black Jesus….
    See how wealthy the established churches are and not forgetting
    15 pastors is worth 1.5 billions (US) dollars………

• Jennifer April 7, 2017 at 4:06 pm

jrsmith – Hahahahahaha – ok then. Well said. Mind you manufactured by the same BEAST SYSTEM. The ones with the CREST with the DOG (GOD) at the top of it. They better wake to hell up out of that slumber.

11. L King April 7, 2017 at 4:08 pm

The bible is real and Jesus Christ is Lord regardless to whether or not you serve him or reject him: End time prophecy is being fulfilled right before our eyes and yet like in the days of Noah people are scoffing and laughing just like in the days of Noah.

But suddenly after Noah his family and his livestock enter the boat God sealed it up and the scoffers perished!

So although I do not align myself with the J.W’s in China many Christians have been driven underground like the Pentecostal Churches.

12. Mary April 7, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia are under great pressure of being denied basic human rights. A right to worship their God publicly and privately. How would you like having a human right of any kind taken from you. As witnesses their entire lives are dedicated to worshiping him as he asks. Jehovah is the main entity in their lives choosing to be his people They are pacifists, just know they will never kill a member of your family when war is called.

13. Ex jw April 7, 2017 at 5:59 pm

They want freedom but deny and blackmail religious freedom to their own members. Once in or if born in, not allowed to question anything. If one leaves, all jw family members, parents, kids., friends are to shun them the rest of their life. Not even say hello or email. They break up families. If a kid is dying and only a blood transfusion will save its denied. They teach any who are not a jehovahs witness, will be killed by god. They pressure for nobody to get college or higher education or plan for retirement. The end is so close and extra time and money should go to the organization. They are extremist.

14. JJ April 8, 2017 at 3:19 am

I don’t know what will be more annoying:

Hearing the constant crying from JWs about how they are “persecuted!”
    Or
    Hearing the constant self-congratulatory praises about how god protected them if Russia decides not to ban them.

15. Jen April 8, 2017 at 6:28 am

I totally agree with all comments about religion being responsible for this mess, I wonder if any one of those people have the guts to ask, “why would a Jehovah’s witness agree with u”? I think u will find the bible agrees with u and so do they. I am a Jehovah’s Witness

16. Onesimus N. Nyemah April 8, 2017 at 7:56 am

Jehovah will indeed vindicate the brothers in Russia. this is another form of persecution as studied about in the scriptures, not surprising to know-THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

17. Sebastian April 8, 2017 at 9:58 am

• allison archer April 9, 2017 at 11:24 am

there is a way that seems right umto man but the end thereof is the way of death, Jehovah witness is a cult leading many into hell

because J.W do good works means little, a good work is not necessarily a Godly work, atheists also practiced good works

removing the deity of Christ and embracing Him as a mere angel or satan’s brother is demonic. Sebastian you are following another gospel, another spirit, another jesus

all that literature you are reading you need to be born again to know the Truth and the Truth will make you free, you are just circling with no victory of inner battles/sins
      it is impossible to obey thou shalt not covet feeding on Charles Russell, get to the Living God Jesus and stop playing around with your salvation for it is written it is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment

• allison archer April 9, 2017 at 12:01 pm

and by the way two cannot walk together unless they be agreed, this is where denominations are established therefore creating religion
        because of the manner in which man was formed we were built to worship (the Creator) but since man has been given freewill to choose, he chose the path that suits him (bible calls it having a form a godliness but denying the power thereof), taking part doctrine out of the Bible refusing to walk in the whole counsel of God

if your teaching is not freeing you from inner struggles making you free, seeing yourself as nothing and drawing you to an intimate relationship with the Creator focusing only on the eternal that message you embraced was sent from the devil himself,
        desire truth in the inward part that you may discern truth from error

18. Allex Alleyne April 8, 2017 at 11:49 am

They all came to the Caribbean with the “COLLECTION PLATE” OUT FRONT” and got (we) Blacks hooked.

19. Namar April 8, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Jehovah Witness follow the bible rules. Anything in the bible, lots of things was created by men that not in the bible.

20. Mr R April 8, 2017 at 11:53 pm

All of you who don’t agree with JWs fine that a your right, but that’s excactly what they are asking for there rights, so please stop the none sense , if someone told you to stop what you believe in and said to you that you have no rights,

All of you that talk nonsense, just talk because you are not in that situation, or you probably hate them because he said she said , and if they knock on your door some day , just say I’m not intrested, they won’t bother you no more, they will respect your right to reject them , see that is your right !!

• cE April 10, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Most sensible comment I read in this thread!

I think many of the world’s problems are caused by individuals, organizations, and governments treading on other’s rights.. in the supposed defense of theirs.

It is hypocritical and, in many cases, immoral, unethical, and illegal.

“Do unto others…”

21. Jen April 9, 2017 at 7:24 am

Jehovahs witnesses are a humble and apologetic pacifists on the whole. Some have done things they wish they hadn’t but are sincerely apologetic for the mess they made and want Jehovah and others to forgive them. This sincerity is the key to having Jehovahs approval. If we are not sincerely sorry for our actions that have caused trouble and disgrace, we cannot expect Jehovahs approval or the approval from others. 2 commands from Jesus 1/ love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and soul. 2/ Love your neighbour as yourself. Are other countries our neighbours?

We do not want people to be hurt or suffer. We want them to be reconciled with God. If we do not reconcile with Jehovah who has a plan to benefit all of us forever, we may be causing him pain and lose his approval. May we all start looking at how we view
    others and take heed ” thou shall not kill”.

• allison archer April 9, 2017 at 12:10 pm

probably sorry they got caught in the act not truly apologetic that they had sinned against the Creator
      J.W is a cult and you people need to turn to the Living God

22. Klw April 9, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Jehovah is the only true living God! Psalm 83v18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

23. Jen April 9, 2017 at 8:40 pm

JWS do not follow Charles Taze Russell. There have been too many changes which proves we are not stuck in time or following a mortal man. The changes involve not celebrating Xmas, birthdays, Easter and not using the cross. So many people think we are stuck in his teaching and follow him. We follow what we learn from the Bible. “Russellites” are the ones who are still stuck in his teachings.

• allison archer April 10, 2017 at 9:12 pm

you people don’t know who you follow, Jesus told the lady at the well “you worship that which you do not know but we Christians worship that which we know for salvation is from the Jews”

24. Kaye April 10, 2017 at 1:37 am

We all have freedom of thought and religion, with what is Jehovah’s Witnesses are experiencing, it violates the basic human rights. We only wish for the right of fair trial in a peaceful and justifiable manner.

25. Michael Davinci April 10, 2017 at 9:04 am

Enough my friends. Agree or disagree, if they knock on your door open or don’t open, that’s your choice. The majority of Jehovah’s Witnesses were not born into it. In fact many were born into other religions. They made a conscience choice to become one.

Here’s a point to ponder. If anyone of you have suffered the loss of a loved one or friend in war or an act of terrorism, I can promise you that bullet didn’t come from the gun of a Jehovah’s Witness.

26. Neal Bradley April 21, 2017 at 1:37 pm

You are correct, Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught to be neutral in man’s politics. Therefore they do not participate in the wars of man. But they do not teach that the Bible says “Do Not Kill”. They teach that the Bible says “Do Not Murder”. And that is a significant difference. They teach this because killing for self defense is ok. Killing for Jehovah is ok. Murder is the unjustified killing of others.

The Witnesses also teach that it is not ok to lie, in fact, Jehovah hates a liar. Of course, their definition of a lie is not telling the truth to someone who deserves the truth. They teach obedience to the superior authorities (governments) unless those laws go against God’s law. So, they then justify telling falsehoods to the legal authorities when it benefits their religion (there religion is the “TRUTH” so it is Jehovah) because it is not a lie since in those cases the legal authorities do not deserve the truth.

Put those two things together…. Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Pacifists? NO! Will they break the laws of the nations they live in if it benefits the religion? YES! Are they willing to lie in defense of their religion? YES! Would they kill someone for their God? Hmmm… they will say NO but that is only because they believe their God will kill for them. But if the religion told them that it was God’s will that they execute judgment upon the nations, what do you think they would do. They are a ticking time bomb.

Do they hurt people and break up families? They disfellowship those that do not abide by their rules. They believe that a disfellowshipped person is the same as being dead, no contact for any reason other than business (i.e. material gain) For those that grew up in JW households, the children are not allowed to make non-JW friends, are not allowed to play sports, are discouraged to pursue higher education, and are taught that every kid around them that is not a JW will be killed at Armageddon. Imagine going to school every day thinking that you have to convert those kids or they will all die. And if that JW child grows up and eventually realizes that they do not believe the same way that their parents taught them, they are disfellowshipped. No more friends from the JWs (and they don’t have any that were not JW), parents and siblings will no longer talk to them.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are a totalitarian organization that practices control over every aspect of the lives of people in the religion. And uses the threat of losing both family and friends to keep everyone in line.

They are EXTREMIST!

Russia has chosen to do that. To be fair, Russia notified the Jehovah’s Witnesses that some of their teachings were EXTREMIST and if they did not change they would be banned. They were given time to make the necessary adjustments. The Jehovah’s Witnesses stuck to their teachings despite what they told the Russian legal authorities (remember, they will not tell the truth to protect their religion). The Russian authorities raided the JW complex in Russia and confiscated literature as a criminal investigation. The literature proved that the JWs were still practicing the same EXTREMIST views. So, the Russian authorities had no choice but to ban them.

I agree 100% that religious freedom is a human right. That right should be protected. But if an organization is warned to discontinue what is deemed to be illegal and continues to practice it despite having “lied” to the authorities and saying that they are adhering to Russian law, are they a religion or organized crime?