Gittens jailed for St Winifred’s School break-in

Her Majesty’s Prisons at Dodds will be home for the next six months to a 23-year-old man who, up until today, had no fixed place of abode.

Jakeel Stephenson Gittens admitted to breaking and entering the St Winifred’s School as a trespasser sometime between March 11 and 12 with intent to commit theft.

From the facts outlined by the prosecutor Station Sergeant Janice Ifill in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court this afternoon, Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant learned that security at the Pine Road, St Michael educational institution secured the premises on the first mentioned date.

However, on making a check the following day, it was discovered that several panes were missing from the windows of the nutrition room and some barrels containing bottles were scattered on the property.

The matter was reported to school authorities and the police who responded and conducted investigations, which led to them arresting Gittens who admitted to committing the crime.

“Is it possible to get some help from Verdun House? I does do drugs,” Gittens asked of Magistrate Cuffy-Sargeant. “I is 23 years old and I [spent] half of that in prison and it ain’t change me.”

However, the magistrate informed Gittens that it did not matter what programmes were offered to him, because change had to begin with him.

That advice seemed not to reach the repeat offender who then apologized for breaking into the school and insisted that prison was not the place for him.

“I know it wasn’t right to go in the school but you send me jail, I will get worse,” Clarke maintained.

“If you check the statistics, you will see that those that go in [prison] coming back out worse.”

The magistrate asked: “So why do you keep reoffending?”

“I just does do foolishness,” Gittens replied.

The magistrate then handed down her ruling and Gittens smiled as he made his way out of the dock.

6 Responses to Gittens jailed for St Winifred’s School break-in

1. Kay Critchlow
    Kay Critchlow March 28, 2017 at 7:17 am

I do agree to a point with what the boy yes boy not man says how can incarceration change a very young person unless other help is tried first . Maybe there should be homes set up that they get some education at and have to be there for so many hours of the day night with some breakfast and dinner that they have to partake in try to rehabilitate and educate . If they don’t then abide then Dodds .

2. Mia Allone
    Mia Allone March 28, 2017 at 7:32 am

mya said it best…when someone tells you who they are…believe them…de man by his own admission say he does do bare foolishness…he do jail time already nothing change…so put him back again ? he obviously needs help… to me… jus` saying

3. Whitehill March 28, 2017 at 8:23 am

This fool could’ve imposed some prison time, but made it contingent upon this young man completing some drug rehab program. How the hell are you looking out for me/society by ignoring his pleas for help? Is he not gonna be back out doing the same crap to feed his habit? Next time he’ll put a knife to your throat to get a few $$, then what.
    Why do I believed had he broke into some black bajan home instead of St. Winifred’s, a predominantly white school he’d have been dealt with differently by this black magistrate.

4. jrsmith March 28, 2017 at 10:12 am

People behave as they please , but sometimes its in they genes ….

5. BIG SKY March 28, 2017 at 10:19 am

Mr.Whitehill,I think you are disrespectful in addressing the magistrate in this manner,if she was your mother you wouldn’t like anyone disrespecting her like that.I know this magistrate and she is a no nonsense,fair and just person.

6. Whitehill March 28, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Look here Big Sky, had this magistrate been my mother and she failed to show compassion to a young black man whom if I had a son could’ve been like him; who has fallen by the wayside, and didn’t look to lend a hand, but further kicked him when he’s down, my mother I’d invite to kiss my mule.
    Why the hell these same magistrate don’t throw the book at those who’re bringing the drugs to feed these wayward souls?
    When this happens, then you and others can talk about no nonsense, the magistrate is definitely not fair and just. The young man got jerked because he’s not from the “good” side of the two Barbados and he broke into a predominantly white school.
    The young man asked for help and he was kicked down.