Carrington: I don’t steal

In a scene reminiscent of former Philippines president Benigno Aquino, Speaker of Parliament Michael Carrington last night told supporters of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) he was no thief.

Referring to allegations made by his challenger, Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) candidate Reverend Joseph Atherley, Carrington told a meeting of his St Michael West branch he was an honest and sincere man.

“I am very straightforward. I don’t lie and I don’t steal. So tell him to leave me alone,” Carrington said of Atherley.

It brought back memories of Aquino, who, in an attempt to confront a growing corruption scandal that had threatened to derail his political agenda, had said in a radio and television address in 2013, he was “not a thief”.

“I have never stolen. I am not a thief. I am the one who goes after thieves,” Aquino had said at the time, while accusing the opposition of sowing seeds of confusion.

Carrington made no such accusations last night, neither did he repeat the allegations, which he said were made during a BLP walkabout in an area known as “Vietnam”.

However, they so upset him that he felt the need to vow for his own honesty before party faithful, including Senator Verla De Peiza.

“Each time a dog barks you don’t look out, so each time the Reverend opens his mouth I am not going to open my mouth or anything. But sometimes you have to answer or comment,” Carrington said.

Meantime, in an apparent reference to Minister of Commerce Donville Inniss, who last week complained about the pace at which the DLP was progressing with the selection of its slate of candidates for next year’s general election, Carrington told supporters there was no need to worry.

“It is the Democratic Labour Party that is in office, and we set the pace. The Government still has its legislative agenda to finish, and when last I checked elections are due constitutionally next year,” he said, adding that he had not heard any of the current 16 DLP parliamentarians announce they would not contest the election.

The DLP parliamentarian also assured supporters he would retain the St Michael West seat for the ruling party.

“I am going all out to ensure that this seat remains firmly and safely in the bosom of the Democratic Labour Party . . . . That is so because of my approach. I think I’ve done a good job. I’m a good man,” he said.

28 Responses to Carrington: I don’t steal

1. Sunshine Sunny Shine March 28, 2017 at 12:46 am

Michael Carrington if you are not a thief then can you explain why the elderly man had to put you in the papers in order to get monies you withheld from him for years? Why did you not give the gentleman his money when it was due? You would understand that since you kept silent on the matter you opened up your person to all sorts of accusations and assumptions. Also, after the elderly gentleman put you in the papers, you suddenly found the money to pay him. Can you tell us where you got the money from all of a sudden if you are not a thief? Man i am convinced that you are no thief but also that you are no good.

2. Nathaniel Samuels March 28, 2017 at 12:49 am

You’re a good man, you say, but there is a better man who will find acceptance from the voters in that district. You have been found wanting and the best thing for you to do is take your leave. Oh, by the way, we would appreciate it if you were to take your party colleagues along with you. We have had enough of them.

• Peter March 28, 2017 at 10:11 am

Nathan, I am using your reply space to send my comment. The line too long. That Speaker don’t steal, he does just take away. He does tell true lies. I guess he lives up to his name. Carrying-away-a-ton. His words are UNBELIEVABLE…..

3. Kelly Scantlebury
    Kelly Scantlebury March 28, 2017 at 12:57 am

Correction : I don’t steal “anymore

4. Ryan Gaskin
    Ryan Gaskin March 28, 2017 at 4:14 am

Hmmm would expect that coming from a man that that’s in a profession where you are train to lie so much u can’t distinguish one from the other

5. Sebastian Da Costa
    Sebastian Da Costa March 28, 2017 at 5:27 am

That is a good one. I don’t steal. Ha

6. Kevin Branch March 28, 2017 at 5:33 am

And I thought my jokes were bad…

7. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall March 28, 2017 at 5:56 am

Bold face Oh Oh

8. Santini More
    Santini More March 28, 2017 at 6:33 am

Yet another ‘Zombie DLP Politician’. Ring the bell Mr PM and let us consign these walking dead back to the political graveyard.

9. Diane Elaine Dias
    Diane Elaine Dias March 28, 2017 at 6:34 am

And he is right . He does not steal , he borrows permanently….Big difference.

10. fedup March 28, 2017 at 6:45 am

Kelly Scantlebury..you are the best!! lol

11. BaJan boy March 28, 2017 at 7:07 am

Should be shame…Wonder if Freundel he to get a lawyer again…

12. gsmiley March 28, 2017 at 7:41 am

lol Kelly and Dian. Love it.

Kelly don’t be so sure.

13. Timothy Thomas March 28, 2017 at 7:41 am

I put the blame squarely on whoever is preparing the lunch for cabinet every Thursday. It must be something in the food.

14. bradg March 28, 2017 at 8:33 am

This man ought to be ashamed……put the elderly man through hell to get his money. A good public shaming did him in

15. bradg March 28, 2017 at 8:35 am

He is modern day Saint folks!

16. chris hill March 28, 2017 at 8:41 am

so carrington already was found guilt of keeping funds belonging to an elderly person some 200k plus and now 45000 plus for another person. yes you are a theif, or is it that if you are a lawyer you can do this. yes the DLP is in power now but not for long.

17. Helicopter(8P) March 28, 2017 at 9:49 am

I would like to see an ethics comity established in the upper house of parliament which would look into unethical matters raised concerning parliamentarians conduct.

• Wayne March 28, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Question is 1. Who determine what’s ethical?2. If he stole, why wasn’t he charged?3 . Will the Ethical.committee look into the alleged domestic abuse perpetrated by a certain high ranking member of the opposition? The rain don’t fall on one man house

18. Sam Clarke March 28, 2017 at 12:00 pm

FOLKS, THIS IS NIXONIAN. REMEMBER THE FAMOUS NIXON SPEECH? “I AM NOT A CROOK.”
    THEN CAME WATERGATE.

19. Harry March 28, 2017 at 12:28 pm

what does unauthorized use of a clients money qualify as???????

20. Milli Watt March 28, 2017 at 3:15 pm

you don’t steal rriiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttt sure you don’t. I believe you.

21. hcalndre March 28, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Mr. Speaker, I remember a cop they called him Lion man when the police got a fella in the court yard bringing to hear his case, Lion man would always asked them, “What they say you do?” because if you ask them, they usually say that ” they say I tief a man wallet.” The speaker knows very well what was his intention and the PM told him to get an attorney instead of telling him to give the old man his money. In the US his own party would have asked him to step down, because he have digrace the party, the Speaker of the house is an important position in america in position to be president, but in barbados he is supported by his party ministers.

22. Penny March 28, 2017 at 4:10 pm

You don’t steal you does use what does not belong to you. Lol

23. Ernesta Catlyn March 28, 2017 at 6:16 pm

When I was growing up you could say “You are telling lies” but it was offensive to call any one a liar. In time, I understood that because you told a lie it did not mean you were a liar; a liar was someone who spoke untruths habitually. It follows then that stealing twice, that we know about, doth not a thief make thee – stick to yuh guns, split hairs and sue anyone that calls you a thief. CRIMINAL

24. lime juice March 28, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Wayne have you ever seen a parliamentairan in Barbados charge for any wrong doing? the first that PM told Carrington was to get a lawyer. The PM was not concern about the old man and his money that Carrington held on to but what I notice about this so call DLP group, is they intend to back and support each other to thee end whether it eithcal or unethical by thee hook or thee crook and I mean more crook than hook.

25. Big Brown March 30, 2017 at 11:48 pm

He only does not steal when he gets caught.