Rum gets the spotlight

Rum enthusiasts and connoisseurs gathered at the Hilton Barbados on Saturday for Rum Revelry as the Barbados Tourism Product Authority (BTPA) continued activities in its inaugural Sugar and Rum Season.

Organizer of the event Jeffery Roach told Barbados TODAY that the aim was to clear any misconceptions people had about the rum industry in Barbados.

“A lot of people know Barbados is the home of rum but in terms of having an appreciation for the quality of the spirit that we produce that is a little bit lacking . . . so we are trying to find ways to build an awareness of rum,” Roach said.

“The stigma of rum has been perpetuated from the rum shop days . . . but if you mention other spirits people tend to smile and say ‘oh yeah’ almost as if rum is a bad spirit.”

Roach said that the treasured spirit, much like wine or cognac, can be appreciated and enjoyed without individuals overindulging.

Based on the positive feedback so far, Roach said there are plans for another installment in 2018. (KK)

7 Responses to Rum gets the spotlight

1. Jennifer March 26, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Well done to you lot. Now when you are done reveling can you make a donation of some breathalyzer kits to the RBPF.

2. Alex Alleyne March 26, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Death juice.= serious health problems.

• Jennifer March 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Alex, who cares $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. fritz oneal March 27, 2017 at 9:17 am

I will drink until I die or it kills me, whichever comes first!

4. Helicopter(8P) March 27, 2017 at 9:24 am

The Dorley’s Macaw has pulled his chest feathers and has left Kensington Gap for some time. He has left only memories in the mouths of Old Bajans. Only two days ago I came across a macaw which resembles the old rum bond mascot at the Oval’s entrance.

5. Alex Alleyne March 27, 2017 at 10:59 am

@Fritz, this is because you can go sit at a polyclinic and get medical treatment for FREE. One friend told me it cost them $1000.00 for an ambulance ride of 3 miles to a hospital. (Not in BIM of course). Now we hear of someone calling for FREE service to get an eye exam at the Hospital caue them bringing in the machine. I take it you will be in that FREE line, but will drop a cool $60.00 for a bottle of big-mout-drink which will bring on serious health problems. Please remember…. ‘IT’S YOUR MONEY , I CAN’T TELL YOU HOW TO SPEND IT”.

• Jennifer March 27, 2017 at 11:35 am

@Alex – I understand you. The thing in life is that when people CREATE PROBLEMS they will usually be placed at someone else’s door. Whether it is drunk driving, teenage no father pregnancies, eating an unhealthy diet. Until the method of dealing with the problem changes it will not matter and nothing will change. I like when a Chinese airline started making obese people pay for two plane seats. That sent a clear message to people to stay slim. If you see what I mean.