Niall Sheehy exits Flow

Nearly two years after he was appointed managing director of Flow’s Barbados operations, experienced telecommunications executive Niall Sheehy has parted ways with the company.

So far Flow officials have been tightlipped on the development. However, it follows the January 1, 2017 appointment of Jamaican Garfield Sinclair, the former CEO of Cable & Wireless Jamaica, as C&W president for the Caribbean with overall responsibility for C&W’s operations in 15 territories across the region, including Jamaica, Trinidad and Barbados.

Sinclair is due to address a media roundtable here on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear what Sheehy’s next move would be.

However, his departure comes on the heels of the resignations last October of Flow’s Head of Marketing Shelly Ann Hee Chung and Vice President of Cable & Wireless Business Jaggernauth Dass, whose positions have since been filled.

Sheehy, the former managing director of Columbus Barbados, took over its combined operations with LIME in April 2015, following their merger back in 2015.

He has been involved in the telecoms industry for over 15 years after launching his telecoms career in 2000 at British Telecom Global Services in Europe where he managed diverse virtual teams with responsibility for the design, implementation and commercial delivery of complete ICT solutions.

In June 2005, he joined Digicel in Jamaica with primary responsibility to establish and spearhead the Business Solutions team, subsequently moving on to Columbus Communications in October 2010.

Source: (BT)

13 Responses to Niall Sheehy exits Flow

1. Tony Webster March 22, 2017 at 5:34 am

Three month’s or more after completeing a written form to switch over to “fibre”, I have neither seen, heard, or smelled any technician in my area. Neither have I had an e-m, SMS, FB, Whats-ap, or even a postcard tied to a pigeon’s foot, about my “upgrade”.

T’ings- (advertisments, infomercials, “newscasts”, great deals on FLOW TV, excepted) ent FlOW- ing …so it ‘s not surprising someone is GO-ing. Government might as well go run de show in dere.

2. jrsmith March 22, 2017 at 5:47 am

Barbados is continuously being used as a guinea pig , for the so call cartel corporates, thats why its good for foreigners but not bajans………………………..

• Tom March 22, 2017 at 4:52 pm

What an easy run for Naill Sheehy. They are many who are still experiencing piss poor service. He and his Board colleagues would never have been allowed such an easy ride by UK Regulators. There is more to the provision of good and reliable telecommunication service than the marketing spin and the spin on taking children Xmas shopping.

3. seagul March 22, 2017 at 6:43 am

Barbados is a wonderful country full of good people – but we have this one huge problem with a long-established culture of corruption and entitlement in politics and government service. International visitors to the Barbados Free Press are usually shocked when they learn that Barbados government officials are not prohibited from accepting gifts/bribes of any value—from land developers or companies that receive government contracts.
    As this goes on things will eventually fall apart…..

4. greengiant March 22, 2017 at 11:20 am

I never planned to be a government or statutory employee again after I left the B D F in the mid eighties to work abroad. However, for the purpose of the experience I applied for an advertised senior position, was selected after interview and commenced work at the start of this month. Due to my foreign employment experience spanning several years I have already had to face the methods of red tape, and controls that affects departmental productivity. This operation loses about 100 man hours per day. However, this is not due to employees tardiness, it’s simply due to management’s poor planning. I wrote a document to my immediate supervisor outlining this and ended up in a meeting with him and two directors who tried to convince me that my assessment was wrong. One Director went as far as calling me a wrong fit and saying that they recommended my termination but was over ruled by the others. What that director doesn’t know is that I am not worried about termination as I plan to restructure my department making it more efficient and worker friendly to deliver our services, and move on. I simply can’t see myself working with my fellow seniors for any duration.

• BeenThereDoneThat March 23, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Barbados does not have a productivity problem….It has an efficiency problem! Every aspect of business and government is performed in an inefficient way and older managers refuse to let go so that new ideas can be vented. Just SAD and Too Bad that a highly literate country like Barbados is unable progress and introduce world class services.

5. North Point March 22, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I STRONGLY FEEL THAT Niall Sheehy was give a LIME and the SLOW pace of him having it in his mouth has left a bitter taste. lots of shite is going on at FLOW Barbados and no one wants to step up to the plate, too many contracted workers, mare not being paid for work done since December, and I heard that bounce cheques are being issued by a female who is a hired hand. I think its time for some of these CEOs to face the media and tell john public whats really going on, we are truly suffering at the hands of these CEOs who are only interested in their bloated pay cheques, why De hell should people in Barbados have to go through call centers in other countries, why, cant we service our own people, why de hell they don’t take the mechanic work shops to these countries and when the vehicles want fixing send them there as well. I am fed up with SLOW, FLOW, LIME, MILE, and all others, some years back they deceived us when LIME sell out to FLOW, Prior to the SLOW over take , LIME had given me a bundle package, I STILL HAVE IT, slow TV HAD TRIED TO OFFER ME A BETTER PACKAGE FOR A few dollars, I told them that I don’t trust them and to leave me and my FREE package alone, a month ago they tried to bribe me by allowing me to see all of the other NEW channels, I aint budge yet, anint got no plans to, keep me free SLOW TV. And about the bounce cheques, I told a guy that they should take it to the fraud squad, ill love to see her in silver bangle with a LIME face and a SLOW walk to HMP DODD’s

6. Mikey March 22, 2017 at 4:31 pm

That gentleman should have gone more than a year ago. I wrote them a letter outlining my dissatisfaction with the “fibre” switch and not even a note written on a piece of foolscap paper acknowledging my letter. I repeated the exercise another time, still no response. Now he is gone I will copy the same letter to the Jamaican and see what happens.
    A BUNCH OF BAD MANAGERS IN A POORLY MANAGED ORGANIZATION.

7. Tom March 22, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Greengiant, Good on you. Let us hope that those in charge will have the good sense to give you the opportunity to take ownership in the areas that you are truly passionate about and willing to step up and lead. surely they must see that they stand to benefit as well. Based on the many conversations I have had with those at work and my interaction in accessing good and services here , i am of the view that many Senior Managers/ Directors both in the public and private sectors lack the requisite skills and competencies to lead in a modern work environment Too many of them having been raised in an environment of bosses and supervisors. They have no idea to lead in this modern environment. We need a more open and competitive environment from which to select effective leaders/ managers . We also need a more flexible and effective way of exiting those that are not meeting the required standards. Perhaps performance hardwired to personal contracts.

8. Madmax March 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Niall Sheehy was never suitable to the role. a very indecisive man who depended on others to make decisions.
    His lack of telecoms knowledge made it difficult for him to understand what is required to make the merger work.
    There are many local telecoms managers who could easily do his job. Why do the government permit so many untrained persons to assume top positions in the telecom companies.
    Good riddance Niall

• Arthur lance March 24, 2017 at 6:44 am

Well said, let us see now whom will be his long term replacement…. a bucket of experienced local talent awaits. This is the very same scenario inside the troubled Digicel, with Mr. Looney attempting to run this business but being grossly under qualified.

9. Gbraithwaite March 23, 2017 at 10:59 am

Flow now but we are watching and waiting for the digicel departures!? More locals need to be given the jobs to really change the culture internally there !!!

10. Frederick Nightingale June 29, 2017 at 5:36 pm

There is a lot of tremendous potential in Barbados that is waiting to be tapped.

All organizations need a healthy open culture where all voices are heard and everyone is respected as a member of the team.

Bureaucracy and red tape need to be cleared away in order that people can function in an effective manner.