UPDATE: Another road fatality – 13th for 2017

Police have released the name of the island’s latest road fatality.

He is 20-year-old Chad Calvin Butcher of Waverley Cot, St George.

Police say Butcher was the lone occupant in a motor car travelling along My Lords Hill, St Michael around 3:24 this morning when the vehicle struck an embankment, causing him to lose control before colliding with the guard wall at the National Sports Council.

He was freed from the vehicle by personnel from the Barbados Fire Service and rushed by ambulance to the state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he subsequently succumbed to his injuries.

Butcher’s death brings to 13, the number of road deaths so far this year, compared to ten for all of last year.

Police are appealing to anyone with information on the accident to contact the District ‘A’ Police Station at telephone 430-7242 or 430-7246.

23 Responses to UPDATE: Another road fatality – 13th for 2017

1. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley March 21, 2017 at 11:22 am

Such a tragic loss of a young life, my condolences to his family and friends.

2. Lashay Mayer
    Lashay Mayer's March 21, 2017 at 11:28 am

So sad very hurtful

3. t.blackman March 21, 2017 at 12:16 pm

that is my little sister brother he gone really to soon

4. jrsmith March 21, 2017 at 12:43 pm

This vehicle looks like something which we see in pictures from the bombings in (Syria )……this accident looks frightening just pure madness , but what our government is going to do to find out why is this happening………..

• Kathie Daniel March 21, 2017 at 1:01 pm

He had to be cut out of the vehicle, so not all of the damage shown is due to the actual collision.

And with respect, the government was not driving the car. The government should attend to the state of the roads, lighting, drainage and so forth, but the actual drivers have to take responsibility for their own actions.

My condolences to the family and friends. I have lost loved ones to vehicular accidents and it is a terrible feeling.

5. Lenora March 21, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I pray that God would comfort his family

6. jrsmith March 21, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Every day , every where any time we are seeing this madness…..

7. Observer March 21, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Condolences goes out to the family,another family mourning the loss of a love one,Folks need to slow down on those rough and pothole infested street’s

8. Kathie Daniel March 21, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Please, people! Take more care, slow down, stop texting and driving, do not drink and drive….
    Too many lives being lost, too many tears being shed, please take more care.
    It only takes a little moisture on the road, a moment of inattention, a needless risk and then… tragedy.

9. Coreen Lashley
    Coreen Lashley March 21, 2017 at 1:04 pm

My condolences to his family may he rest in peace

10. Gaskin-Newsam Erlinda
    Gaskin-Newsam Erlinda March 21, 2017 at 1:25 pm

May God comfort his family at this time.

11. Craig Harewood
    Craig Harewood March 21, 2017 at 1:42 pm

RIP Chad.

12. North Point March 21, 2017 at 2:29 pm

All I want to say to all of those fast pace drivers is please remember that when you crash and die that you have families that hurt, friends that will miss you, and children that will forever mourn your loss, so before you line up to race just thinks of those three things. RIP young Butcher.

13. David Eversley March 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm

My condolences to the family. Why is that when something like this happened, most people who were not present at the time of the incidence, always have the most to say on what happened and how it happened without knowing the fact. You never read or hear them saying that the person probably fell asleep or the car tire blown out (etc), they always jump to these conclusions first, ” texting and driving, drinking and driving”. It is known that these are contributing factors to some of the incidences but seek to get the fact first. Let me also say that anytime I can boldly say that I saw someone driving and texting, it mean that I am driving without due care and attention to the direction I am travelling.

14. Tony Webster March 21, 2017 at 2:42 pm

There are four critically-important components of a vehicle, which all have to be in good operating condition, in order to avoid tragic outcomes:-
    1: Steering
    2: Brakes
    3: Tyres ( inflated to specified pressures)
    4: Brain.
    Road conditions, from place to place can, and do, vary, and one’s driving technique….even at night vs. day-time, or in rain, should be modified appropriately.
    Yes, I am saddened to know a family now mourns. I am also hopeful that ALL drivers, would take my advice on board. Save a life….it could be your own.
    We also hope that certain Relevant Authorities will soon share hard facts with our driving citizens, i.e. the prime causes behind all this wasteful loss of life , limb, and property, and what ameliorative measures are to be IMPLEMENTED A.S.A.P.

Mr. Lashley….we are waiting…

15. Tony Waterman March 21, 2017 at 5:58 pm

First off, let me be quite clear!!! Any life Lost in this manner Young or Old, brings sadness, die to the fact that the Life ha ended prematurely, and on that basis i MUST offer up my Sincerest Condolences to all of the Families iaffected by this TRAGIC Loss.

On the Other Hand, as intimated by the writer of this Article, that car did NOT on it’s own accord, decided to Leave the Paved Road, struck an embankment, caused him to lose control before colliding with the guard wall at the National Sports Council. NO!!! He for what ever reason is the one who LOST Control of the Vehicle, which then Struck the Embankment, and the NSC Wall, so what we must find out is, Did he Fall Asleep, it was approx. 3.24 AM, was he over imbibed, was he Texting/Talking on his Cellphone, was he Speeding excessivilel, SOMETHING caused him to lose Control of that Vehicle, perhaps we might never know, unless the RBPF has a competent Accidend Reconstruction Team, or someone saw something, which is very doubtful at 3.24 in the Morning.

I am no reconstrucyionist, but the EXCESSIVE damage to that Vehicle, to me would Indicate, EXCESSIVE SPEED, that was NOT 40Kmh.

If this Trend continues unabated, there will be about 52 by years end, not a good thought at all.

May his soul rest in peace, and rise agian someday in Glory.

16. Mhizz Telly J Small
    Mhizz Telly J Small March 21, 2017 at 6:20 pm

My condolences to his family as a mom feeling sad to hear da news R.I.P

17. RC March 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I am always sad at the loss of a life, whether young or old. It is very tragic when a young man in early stages of life passes on. No obe knows how he happened to crash and speculation or blaming the Government (which is extremely stupid) will bring him back to us. We can only pray with his family and hope that the year finishes with no more carnage on our roads.

18. Jennifer March 21, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Tragic – condolences to the family and friends.
    Minister LASHLEY can you please ensure that these Zebra crossings are REPAINTED. SAFETY FIRST.

19. Maureen Fields
    Maureen Fields March 21, 2017 at 8:00 pm

There is no way that JAWS did this to that car!!!!! I could understand the cuts, and doors put aside.
    A JACKASS COULD SEE, THAT CAR HIT VERY HARD!!!

20. Sandra Mayers
    Sandra Mayers March 21, 2017 at 9:30 pm

So tragic … my condolences to his family and friends RIP

21. Anderson March 21, 2017 at 10:26 pm

To the grieving relatives may the comfort and peace of God be yours at this difficult juncture in your journeys.

22. Cammie C March 22, 2017 at 6:45 pm

My deepest condolences to the family.