Another road death – 13th for 2017

A 20-year-old man is this island’s latest road fatality.

Police say the victim, whose name has not yet been released, was the lone occupant in a motor car travelling along My Lords Hill, St Michael around 3:24 this morning when the vehicle struck an embankment, causing him to lose control before colliding with the guard wall at the National Sports Council.

He was freed from the vehicle by personnel from the Barbados Fire Service and rushed to the state run Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance where he subsequently succumbed to his injuries.

His death brings to 13, the number of road deaths so far this year, compared to ten for all of last year.

Police are appealing to anyone with information on the accident to contact the District ‘A’ Police Station at telephone 430-7242 or 430-7246.

16 Responses to Another road death – 13th for 2017

1. Kevin Gibson
    Kevin Gibson March 21, 2017 at 8:01 am

Sad

2. Meakai March 21, 2017 at 8:27 am

I am not saying the is the case here, but I would like to pass on a tip to all young drivers.

If ever you are out driving late at night and you begin to feel sleepy. Do not try to make it home. Find a well lighted public area, 24 hr gas station, supermarket car park etc, roll down the windows a little bit and hold a sleep. The nice soft bed at home will wait for you, no need to rush.

When I was a youngster, I used to nap on Rockley beach in front of Chefette. Police on patrol used to wake me up to find out if everything was okay. Yes, there were good police officers back then and there probably still have now.

Condolences to family and friends.

• T March 21, 2017 at 9:01 am

Good advice!

3. Gearbox1964 March 21, 2017 at 8:31 am

At this rate we could reach 50 by year-end…hope not.

4. Bernadette Austin
    Bernadette Austin March 21, 2017 at 8:42 am

RIP

5. Tia butcher March 21, 2017 at 8:49 am

Family I sorry to u gone to soon I’ll always b hay I miss u and love u I didn’t even get to say my last goodbye last I saw u was Sunday night by grand grand love u

6. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor March 21, 2017 at 9:18 am

Sad indeed. I agree with the guy who said that you shouldn’t rush home but rest and sleep . Sympathy to the family and friends.

7. Shernell Niles
    Shernell Niles March 21, 2017 at 9:25 am

Rip

8. Heather Hackett
    Heather Hackett March 21, 2017 at 10:00 am

Condolences to family

9. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward March 21, 2017 at 10:18 am

I know they is a season of road fatalities and this is it boy. This a lot to wow.

10. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince March 21, 2017 at 10:30 am

Everyday. ….????

11. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince March 21, 2017 at 10:31 am

Rip ………….

12. Willz RD
    Willz RD March 21, 2017 at 10:47 am

Hmmmmmmmm………..my condolences to his family and friends.

We still have to address a serious issue, be it speeding, texting while driving, drunk driving or dropping sleep- A message has to be sent so as to condition minds to remove these bad driving habits. The next accident will see an innocent family getting struck by an oncoming car where the driver was speeding and lost control, was texting, drunk etc.

I am not prepared to keep offering condolences when we can implement things that circumvent such accidents.

I know how it goes, people will come and say i don’t know how it happened so don’t assume he was speeding, texting etc- I am not………i am asserting that he is dead and his family and friends are now mourning- it is hard on them…very……and i do not wish to see other families go thru this.

We need a proactive solution now!!!!!!

13. L King March 21, 2017 at 10:57 am

What’s going on? Has the governments wrong doing evoked a curse on the island? 13 deaths in 3 months!

14. Lenora March 21, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Only God knows

15. jrsmith March 21, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Road management is required all over the island, if this doesn’t happen the madness will continue…