Thompson agitates for women leadership

Former Member of Parliament Liz Thompson has called for affirmative action for women in the workplace, amid concerns that men outnumber their female counterparts at top positions.

Thompson made the remarks last night, during her lecture entitled ‘Nasty or nice? Women in politics, leadership and life’.  It was held at the Errol Barrow Center for Creative Imagination, and organized by First Caribbean International Bank in collaboration with the Institute for Gender and Development Studies of the University of the West Indies.

“I think we have to do that in relation to the workplace, getting more women into the top ranks; we have to do it in relation to Parliament, and Cabinet.  And boards as well.

“It has to be a conscious decision that we’re going to introduce some kind of affirmative action or quotas, and you have skilled women who can fill the positions so there’s no question of just taking up a person who is wearing a skirt and say ‘come girlfriend’, dragging them out of a beauty salon and say ‘you take this job here on the board’. She may come out of a beauty salon but she would have to fit the bill,” Thompson said.

The former Minister for the Environment stated that female-owned businesses in Europe and the United States have access to certain jobs and government contracts, as quotas have been established for such enterprises.  She added that in Africa and India, there are also mechanisms to facilitate access to capital and special funds for women.

Thompson, the executive director-designate of the SUNY-UWI Centre for Leadership and Sustainable Development, also said there is a need to establish policies to facilitate a better work-life balance for working women.

“Women continue to have the responsibility of caring for the elderly, caring for children, and we have to have more flexible working systems, opportunities where you’re bringing children into common nurseries and spaces, where women don’t have to be leaving at three o’clock to run to pick up the children, get them to lessons or somewhere, go back to work, run back out again. So that is important.

“I don’t know about politics, I think we’re still going to have a challenge even with the numbers because the reality is that politics is a blood sport and men and women don’t want to be defeated,” she stated.

The lecture was held as part of activities organized by First Caribbean International Bank to observe International Women’s Day. (MCW)

16 Responses to Thompson agitates for women leadership

1. Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Hun, stop it. You need affirmative action for workers in general as we got some big dogs out there biting up workers. We need affirmative action to take the goat from the sheep pen. We need affirmative action to stop the selling of our silver and gold to the great eagles too. Lastly we need affirmative action to overhaul these systems that keeping this people in darkness and at the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

2. Peter March 18, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Jennifer, You’re so discreet and poetic in your comments, I doubt that most readers understand you. Including me. Liz Thompson needs to understand the Trump methods. Everything is a Presidential Order. Only whites must succeed. Blacks must get around and brown stay down. It would be real nice if you can present the true meaning to many of those nursery rhymes we grew up learning to recite word for word without knowing their true meaning. One case in point. Humpty Dumpty. He’s the Dems. they sit on yheir high wall of control and decision making. They have a fall and exposing their fragility, they take that fall (from grace or power) All the Kings horses – a symbol of strength and stubbornness nor all the king’s men referring to the Funding agencies and their repair jobs, can put them together again. Jennifer, teach the, (DEM) tell DEM (them).

• Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 4:28 pm

No Peter, excluding you. I can tell you understand me very well. You clever, cheeky cookie. I hope you know it will not always be so for the sheep.

3. Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 4:46 pm

@Peter – politics in Barbados is like a woman in child birth, as she is cussing the perpetrator out. Once the pain and discontent is over, give them a few years and they will restart the process all over again. Humpty will be put back together again in another 2 terms. How can we forget the short memory syndrome. Its called self induced amnesia.

4. Carson C Cadogan March 18, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Make women leaders just because they are women?

I think not!!!!

Your friend Mia will never become leader of Barbados.

5. Carson C Cadogan March 18, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Over many many years women have spoken to me about working with women in different capacities. And they hate it. They say women bosses are very vindictive, spiteful, they crack under pressure, they are lazy, they are self centered, they get too emotional, and the list goes on.

That is women speaking not men.

6. Mikey March 18, 2017 at 8:35 pm

@ Carson C Cadogan,,, how many years and how many women ??? It is also true for men working with men,,, simply one of humans frailty and weaknesses.
    You may not know, but 10 percent of the people any one person meets does not like him/her. The first 10 percent could very well be the people you meet every day at work, on the bus, in the supermarket, at a game of sports, at the barber salon or walking down Broad Street !!! THINK ABOUT THAT AND THEN MAKE ANOTHER COMMENT.

7. Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Carson C codogon – u are goddon crazy but I like it. You are a real classic. I can see to some of what you say especially working with other women. It is either some thing to do with envy. Not to mention hormones. I found working with white women is also different, they mostly keep from you (Which is good) and discretely carrying out their onslaught, if they intend to do one. while working with black women its like black on black jealous thing. Many women also have a do it all attitude instead of planning with their husband/partner on routines, then their burn out leads to other downfalls at home and work too.

8. Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 8:26 am

Shalawam Barbados Today. Todah

9. Peter March 19, 2017 at 9:40 am

Carson C Cadogan and Jennifer, Fortunately I have had the experience of being educated by, taught and worked with and for humans of their sexual preferences. Never had any issues simply because they all formed this thing called humanity. I try to understand their behavior and respected their choices. Simple, because I know who I am. Embodied within life’s broad spectrum is every and anything you can think about. Deceit, anger, disrespect, bullying, kindness, forgiveness, understanding, love and hate and that list goes on. We are who we are and we believe what we practice and live what we both believe and practice. It manifests itself in our character. Let me kindly remind you Carson that your hero must have been your mother, and I am sure you and your siblings among others within your family structure, love her to bits. Please, my brother, cast aside the ugly behavior of envy, hate, manipulation and all the bad things humans encourage and develop in their lifestyles. Remembering always, we are who we are, and we must stay focused on the positive things of our lives. There were, are and will be many great and not great women leaders. Let them prove themselves, You do not even try to prove them.

10. Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 10:07 am

@Peter – Well that is your experience sir. Good for you, however, u come across to me as one knowing and in voluntary denial at times. sometimes it all depends on WHO you are at the end of the day. What you need is a good old sit down, brass tax type of thing. Remember you are one person, and even then. I remember when I was not so informed about the rudiments of things going on around me, I was in a constant state…….
    This is why I continue to keep the blame on the education system of my people. Now that I know, its a different ball game. We need to fray or debride the wound, to correct all the issues and misconceptions whether it is about women, men, race etc. Until that DEBRIDEMENT is done there will be no healing sir.

11. Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 10:13 am

Women have their place and MEN have their place. The MAN is the HEAD of the woman etc. Someone changed this pattern among other patterns. It needs correction. The majority of the men are psychologically displaced and is not doing what they are suppose to do causing a lot of mess on the earth.

• Carson C Cadogan March 19, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Well said Jennifer.

12. Peter March 19, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I guess we do have our own opinion on genderism and how it works. I know for sure I don’t live in denial, neither am I a chauvinist. I know of many female world leaders, including Golda Muir of Israel, Indira Gandhi of India, , Margaret Thatcher of UK, Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan. and many others. All I say is we have Mia Mottley who in my opinion IAS the best politician who happens to be a woman, here in the Caribbean. Dr. David Estwick is the most knowledgeable where economic mattersare concerned, He was instrumental in exposing the same Owen administration but was unceremoniously dumped because most of DEM are afraid of him and to my understanding are trying to block his move. Sorry to stray off the topic. I may not be even close to your educated level so please pardon my lack of intelligence there of and hereon.

13. Not Today March 19, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Does Jennifer (assuming its a female) consider herself to be an exception to the female stereotypes? While agreeing with Carson, I hope she is aware that his comment is a general comment toward women which would therefore include her, her mother, sisters, aunts, friends and grandmother. Her comment about women also makes her come across as the same she describes… envious and hormonal. Unless of course, she happens to be extraordinary… elitist much?

14. Mikey March 19, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Peter, Jennifer, do not let silly comments shake you.
    There are too many “one-eye” people walking around Barbados. There are also a few “blind” ones who too will see the Light one fine day.
    Keep your comments fresh and enlightening and forget those that are narrow and self-serving. Good luck.