Oh no, Mara!

Thompson and Bradshaw lock horns in Parliament over ‘childless’ comment

The Leader of Opposition Business in the House of Assembly, Santia Bradshaw, Friday locked horns with the Deputy Speaker of the House, Mara Thompson, after the Member of Parliament for St John attacked the “childless” status of two female Opposition members of the House.

The latest ugly episode came amid persistent threats by Minister for Social Care Steve Blackett to report the parents of a 13-year-old boy, who delivered a speech at the Opposition Barbados Labour Party’s (BLP) protest march last Saturday, to the Child Care Board, over his appearance on the political platform.

Friday morning, Thompson made her position known on the issue as she  participated in the final sitting for the weeklong Estimates debate.

But while praising the teenager’s oratory skills, she accused the BLP of exploiting the child, and suggested that he should have been engaged in activities more appropriate for children his age.

“I heard one member comment on the presence of a young man with whom I became familiar, and that he was picking up bottles wherever it was, well that is exactly the sort of place the child should be in at that sort of age, at the age of 13.

Members of Parliament Santia Bradshaw (left) and Mara Thompson (right).

“At the age of 13 I was riding around Castries on a bicycle, and the gentleman of whom the honourable member was speaking was probably swimming in the sea at Fitts Village. But he was not speaking on political platforms for adults,” Thompson said, before taking her criticism of the BLP even further.

In an obvious reference to party leader Mia Mottley and Bradshaw, who is the Member of Parliament for St Michael South East, Thompson charged that the BLP was currently led “by someone who does not have children”, adding, that “she who sits beside her [meaning Bradshaw] was the same thing”.

“But I appeal to the parents among you, I really think that you should have guided your leader in that situation,” Thompson added.

Bradshaw, who followed in her father Delisle Bradshaw’s footsteps to become the political representative for St Michael South East, was quick to fire back at Thompson’s salvo, arguing that because a woman was childless did not mean that she did not know how to be a parent.

“And I am just mind blown that women parliamentarians could take such a position as I heard this morning,” said Bradshaw, while warning her fellow MPs that “when we stand in this Chamber we have a responsibility to be fair.

“I have no children but I have chosen to come to public life to be able to be an example to other young people, to be able to speak out and to represent my country. That is the choice I made. And I take real disgust to persons who speak in that way because I’ve worked hard to be here.

“I made the sacrifice because my father, who was a politician, didn’t spend the time with me when I was young. Because he spent it representing the people in St Michael South East. And I understand the sacrifice that women must make in public life if they are supposed to give of their best to their constituents and to represent their country,” she insisted.

Bradshaw then launched a broadside of her own, saying Thompson only recently came to hold her position in parliament, following the death of her husband, the former Prime Minister and former St John representative David Thompson back in 2010.

“She’s not worked her way through the ranks. She had her children before she came to public life and she came into a position that was given to her. I have worked for it, the member for St Michael North East [Mottley] has worked for it,” Bradshaw said to applause from the Opposition benches.

“And we must not be judged as women in this country on the basis of being childless because I can tell you, we parent children who are not our own. And I want to make that point abundantly clear to all of you in this chamber on both sides. Be your own judge but don’t judge us.  At the end of the day we have made the sacrifice to be here,” Bradshaw added.

She also reminded the House that like the 13-year-old, she too, entered politics as a teenager, speaking on the political platform in the St Michael South East constituency at age 16.

“When the Democratic Labour Party cut the salaries of public officers in this country Mr Chairman, I too, participated in that march.  I wasn’t coerced by my father who was then a member of the Barbados Labour Party. I took to the streets fully understanding the implications of what the government of the day was doing in relation to public officers, not influenced by anyone but again, understanding fully and appreciating what it was that was being done at a time in our country,” she said.

Bradshaw also pointed out that Thompson’s late husband also entered the political arena as a young man.

“I don’t know if the Honourable member for St John may not have been aware of the fact that the former member for St John was visible in all of our households as a young man debating as he did, in such a way that certainly inspired not only myself, but also inspired others because of his youth and his understanding of politics and current affairs in this country,” she said.

In her response to Thompson, Opposition Member of Parliament for St Thomas Cynthia Forde told Parliament that over the years, young people had demonstrated a keen interest in pursuing politics.

“That young man may become a leader in the political arena, he may not. But there are so many others who want to get the opportunity, because that’s why we have a youth parliament. Because that is the incubator that will bring forward the potential of those young people, and help them to achieve the ambitions that they possess,” Forde said.

marieclairewilliams@barbadostoday.bb

88 Responses to Oh no, Mara!

1. David Hall March 18, 2017 at 12:55 am

Mara comments were low and repugnant! She ought to be ashamed. Nasty, lowdown talk is what this is.

• Peter March 18, 2017 at 10:07 am

I am responding to Carson C Cadogan’s illiterate and nonsensical and retarded comments which appeared at positions # 27 and 28 or thereabouts in this well responded to subject matter. David Hall I am in your corner nonetheless. I hope that everyone reading these responses will scroll down and read your two for balance. I am calling on every female person both in and off Barbados to condemn Mara’s mouthings in Parliment and Carson’s comments in this BT report. I call on Mara to give respect where it is due and instead of egging on Silly Steven, Speak from your heart and compliment the youth for his effort. Wish him well in his endeavours. that will earn you respect and points instead. You have clearly exhibited that you both are DEMs suck up supporters no matter what. Let me remind Cadogan that Mara won because she was riding on a crest of DEM popularity encompassed by the nation wide sympathy for the loss of England born Barbadian national who became Prime Minister, David Thompson, She herself becoming a non-Barbadian born to serve in parliament of this little GREAT island.

2. lswiltshire March 18, 2017 at 1:15 am

truth is dat dey got a few mules among de BLP parliamentarians ah lie?

• The Negrocrat March 18, 2017 at 10:05 am

Better to be a mule, than to be an ass like you.
      How could you sink so low. David Thompson was speaking about politics when he was in his teens.

3. Lennox hewitt March 18, 2017 at 1:17 am

But cause u dont have children dont mean u cannot parent children i no someone got i think 5 or 6 children and she not a good parent i no for a fact then i no someone yhat childless and take care of children good presents n stuff so Thompson only a idiot to get and say so to Bradshaw and the Leader and nothing rong wid 13 year old on platform so what come out of that kid at Kadoment few years ago he did less than 13 years .

4. Rawle Maycock
    Rawle Maycock March 18, 2017 at 1:19 am

Maria should’ve been in carries instead picking up de bottles rather than in the parliament of Barbados which I see as an insult to an indigenousnous bajan!

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:19 am

All right Mr Trump,,you made your racist,selfish,sadistic point”Now you can start the deportation process,send them all out..make Barbados great again..

5. Puppa Weekes March 18, 2017 at 1:24 am

My dear Mara you are not a politician ma’am, you were never one,you were placed in a position of choice because of your late husband.

You are not stupid because you realize that even you in a position of choice is losing ground. But you shouldn’t worry because the people of St John are still drinking from the Barrow cup so you are still safe.

So why are you embarrassing yourself Sweet Davey was just like Mia but with kids.

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:33 am

Indoctrination, is a serious thing,,, Brainwashing,a criminal act,,but your stupidity surpasses all,,That is self inflicted

6. Sandra Madea
    Sandra Madea March 18, 2017 at 1:28 am

MARA THOMPSON SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF HER SELF SHE JUST LIKE THE REST OF DEMS….BUT I LIKE HOW MY MP SANTIA HAMMER BACK AT SHE…#DLPMUSTGO

7. John Nicholls
    John Nicholls March 18, 2017 at 1:59 am

This makes me so angry. I am a proud bajan and this is an insult to all bajan women. To think that she thinks the right place for a 13 year old is picking up bottles! I can think of many more character building activities that at 13 mine were engaged in . I’m going to leave it right there cause otherwise …….

• ch March 18, 2017 at 5:31 am

Otherwise you might speak the general truth that when persons of low self-esteem and low ability are placed in unexpected positions of power, they are overwhelmed and defeated and resent those who are born great and achieve greatness.
      You might also have to say that some parents- generally speaking- are jealous and toxic when other children outshine their own.
      Just saying…but I could be wrong.

8. Santini More
    Santini More March 18, 2017 at 2:01 am

What century is this that a child-free woman must defend her status in parliament? It would seem that the winds of change are also blowing in St John and Mara getting she feathers ruffled.

9. Kelly Scantlebury
    Kelly Scantlebury March 18, 2017 at 3:17 am

Mara Thompson could really sit down sometimes without uttering a word. Nonsense.

10. Mark My Word March 18, 2017 at 3:32 am

Ah truth Mara talk and it pinch a nerve, if yuh Barren yuh Barren what’s thee problem, why wunna so angry, ah lie she tell.

• Ejd March 18, 2017 at 6:49 am

Are you saying that women who do not have children are barren?

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:21 am

A well without water ,is a dry well.

11. Jamar Haynes March 18, 2017 at 4:12 am

Go back to St. Lucia. You have done no work for the people of ST John. How do I know Mara? I live there, haven’t seen you in almost eight years. You insulted us and called us beggars, it got back to us. Not all of us will carry on this nonsense of voting for incompetent people like you to keep the legacy of Barrow and your late husband “alive”. I doubt it but you may have better chances in Castries or Morne Rouge begging for votes on bicycle…assuming you can still ride one. You have insulted Bajan women. We are not fooled by your”innocent” smile, you seem bitter. There are medical professionals who can deal with your “grief”.

• Bajan March 18, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Jamar Haynes I don’t agree with Hon M Thompson’s comment either. But that is no excuse for any of us to start getting on like Bajans are superior to our Caribbean families. Ms. Thompson has every right to live in Barbados and to be a member of Parliament. She is a citizen and she is and has been for a long time, a Bajan like all ah we. Ms. Thompson was elected by her fellow ST.John citizens to be their Parliamentary representative. So don’t start this “Go back to ST.Lucia” foolishness cause nuff Bajans live and work in foreign countries and are subjected to this same type of nasty xenophobic insults on a daily basis. And by the way, almost every Bajan family is connected to a ST. Lucian, Vincentian, Grenadian, Jamaican, Guyanese, in some manner whether by marriage, common law, family, children, sweetheart, friend, you name it. If you believe the political lie that Barbados is superior to other Caribbean countries in every aspect I encourage you to compare CXC results by country and see where the ace students come from. Stop bothering about Ms. Thompson and deal with her colleague that stated publicly in Parliament that he received threats and inferred that he was in fear of his life and was prepared to defend it. Now we finding out he was giving an alternative version of the facts. That is the real issue.

12. Ja Queline Yo
    Ja Queline Yo March 18, 2017 at 4:16 am

This woman needs to throw her hat in the ring in her hometown. She has insulted Barbados enough by not doing any work, handed a position due to the departure of her late husband (may he RIP). She is barren of ideas and creativity. She is hardly the person to accuse women who have no children of anything and to decide what is appropriate for the youth. Her late husband debated while at Combermere. Child-free women voted for her and that idea should be abandoned. Many child-free women mothered all across this world. If her brain were a womb, she would be barren!

13. Chyna March 18, 2017 at 4:57 am

The childless women in Barbados can vote too. So look out!!!

14. ch March 18, 2017 at 5:14 am

If Mara Thompson said that, she has insulted ALL women.
    How dare anyone demean any woman because she has no children. A lot of men and women today bless all of those childless women who raised them- aunts , godmothers, neighbours and our teachers who have done so much for generations of children.
    It is lowness to the gutter for any woman to say that but we have forgotten that we curse our own lives with the evil of our tongues.
    James 3:6

15. FedUp March 18, 2017 at 6:21 am

She will be packjng her bags soon..if she hasn’t already started. Getting $ for doing nothing. Go and look after d hotel(s) in St Lucia.

16. harry turnover March 18, 2017 at 7:07 am

I want to see how DEM igrunt foolish people in St.John that VOTE fa she gine vote next time or are they STILL going to be called the JOHNNIES of Barbados.
    As I have said before that ONLY in BARBADOS that someone with a RANK FOREIGN ACCENT can become a MP.
    It is also an INSULT to the hierarchy of the DLP for they SHOULD HAVE PUT A BAJAN TO CONTINUE THE LEGACY OF THE PERSON THAT BROUGHT US INDEPENDENCE.
    Wonder what those childless women in DEM camp gine say and do now?
    It could NOT happen in Trinidad,Jamaica NOR ST.LUCIA to name 3 Countries.
    Those SAME childless women that VOTED for her she now turn round and INSULTED them.Good fa wunna…wunna too foolish.
    What Santia should have done was to hit back at her children and what they are up to now.

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:29 am

If they vote differently,,,wouldn’t they be proving your brainwashed comments correct,,how can you call the people in St John IGNORANT,just because they are loyal,,visioned and self thinking individuals,,unmoved by all the misguiding statements from a power hungry opposition and her puppet like team

• Jay jay March 18, 2017 at 9:36 am

My woman hush ya mout’ in this forum. You are a blind part-faithful, and an insult to Mr. Barrow. He should not have made education free, for you most certainly did not capitalize on the opportunity

• harry turnover March 18, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Some of the childless women voted for her and she turn around and INSULTED them….and that is the reward that they got for being loyal ,visioned and being self thinking individuals…and you feel fussy about that
        Don’t know if you are a man or woman,but you getting on as though all childless women support the BLP. Only a brainwashed ,loyal, and self centered yard fowl or paling cock would think so.
        I never said that the people in St.John were ignorant….I said THE PEOPLE THAT VOTED FOR HER were IGRUNT and they were made to look IGRUNT from what she said.
        The time you took out to write that jobby could have been spent rounding up ALL the childless women IN THE DLP and getting their opinion on what that woman said.
        There are CHILDLESS women in the Senate ,find out who they are and get back to me…….DEM got INSULTED TOO.

She even INSULTED a BIG UP DLP WOMAN in the SENATE and others in George Street and it looks like business as usual for you.

17. Johnathan March 18, 2017 at 7:12 am

She was lucky sweet cakes Davey had sex with her and that she as well was able to conceive only male who probably ever did. It is better to be childless than have rats on the street

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:35 am

Doesn’t that statement make you a sexy RAT?

18. Leo March 18, 2017 at 7:22 am

All who live in St. John please wake up and be JOHNNIES no more

19. just observing March 18, 2017 at 7:35 am

That child was doing something constructive and uplifting for young people -an example to follow. I did not hear any echoes of disgust when Friday night after Friday night a group of young children would go up on stage and wuk up in the Oistins Bay Garden. That used to grieve my spirit because in the countries where those visitors who applauded reside the parents would have been arrested and those children put in protective care. I do not hear Mr. Blackett speak of children as young as 13 and 14 roaming the Bay Garden at midnight and 1: a.m. You all know when to stay silent. I stopped visiting the Bay Gardens because of that situation.I do not known if it still exists but I am sure that many who had the power to put an end to it experienced it. Why cry down a child who is doing something positive. I hate the double standards in this society. Mara Thompson, bearing children does not always make one a ‘mother’. I have seen many who should not be have borne children because of the way those children have been treated.

• Miche March 18, 2017 at 7:37 am

Building a bomb ,, is that not being constructive as well

• Peppa March 18, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Agreed. Don’t hear any Govt Ministers crying down that or the countless videos of school children fighting like mad dogs that you see in whatsapp either. But outside of that, the childless comment FROM A WOMAN is extremely tasteless. Very disappointed in Mara… and clearly the DEMS are running scared from all these nonsensical, hysterical comments they keep making.

20. Tony Webster March 18, 2017 at 7:37 am

Cat-fight, or election-fight…any way you scratch it…it’s a “Low” scratch… which will back-fire. She must’ve been advised by bigger brainless top-cats in de party. Thought much better of Mara.

Know what? I and de madam ent got no trildren, but guess what: We got so many kids who know us as mum ‘n’ dad, dat I can only count ’em’ with effort. Blessings come in so many forms.

Mara might usefully have a chat wid Sir Henry Forde…jes’ down de road…and hear his esteemed views on such a personal subject.

WHEW! Long knives …and fingernails…are out!!

• Peter March 18, 2017 at 10:38 am

Clever ! Tony Web. Phil, your friend has 9 siblings, all alive, but 7 of them are highly qualified, all retired and still alive. His mom whom I happen to know very well and who passed at age 79 from an aneurism, was a very kind, Christian lady loved and respected by everyone who knew her. These include The late Olga Lopes Seale who was Phil’s Godmother, Forbes Burnham and get this, British royalty. Dolly or La-Jah, as she was affectionately called contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars in food, and items such as clothing, towels night wear and other amenities to Orphanages, churches and needy individuals. This legacy is now continued by all her children. Auntie Dolly was also a great cook. she taught me alongside her children how to cook and bake. Tony, You and I still have to catch up over a beverage. Send me your contact info aor let’s arrange to meet somewhere for lunch. All my at me.

21. Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 8:07 am

Listen people all of this EWE fighting is nothing more than a distraction from the real issues of who doing what, who ain’t doing what, and who ain’t intend to do what. Mules are deep thinkers, live stronger, and generally healthier. Now what we need is some donkeys to deal with these burdens and while they at it cut off the goat horns, that they will stop butting.

• Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 8:11 am

And as for that 13yr old, well done to you. Many in the UK will say that they started off as a paper boy or girl in their localities. Or selling lemonade. ALL PRIDE and no INDUSTRY

• Peter March 18, 2017 at 10:49 am

Thank you for those comments Jennifer. I recall at age 13 I had to work with our gardener and handyman to keep our home surroundings spick and span. At age 15, I was given an old wooden house and $1500.00 and told by my parents to refurbish it. There I Painted, tiled, did electrical wiring, plumbing and carpentry, by hand. No I did not do it alone, a contractor was hired but I worked alongside he and his team. You truly know the rudiments of growing up with respectful, though and disciplined methods of home only training. Stay sweet and blessed.

• Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 1:19 pm

@Peter – thank you for the compliments. You will be surprised at what I learned in my travels in my short life. Great going for you Sir.

22. mervin kellman March 18, 2017 at 8:31 am

Mara Thompson was gifted a seat in our Parliament on a wave of sympathy. She did not work for it and she does not deserve it. Recently she has demonstrated an increasing contempt for the people of St. John who now only see her on television. This nasty and unwarranted attack on the absence of offspring from two female members of the opposition is disrespectful and insulting to all women who have remained childless while giving outstanding service to their country. It is another example of her unsuitability for public life.

• Carson C Cadogan March 18, 2017 at 8:48 am

“Mara Thompson was gifted a seat……”

As far as everyone in Barbados can remember, there was a bye election in St. John. The Barbados Labour Party fielded a candidate and the Democratic Labour Party fielded a candidate.

The people of St. John voted in overwhelming numbers to elect Mara to the House Of Assembly as their representative.

The candidate for the Barbados Labour Party was soundly beaten. The Barbados Labour Party candidate has since distance himself from the Barbados Labour Party because of the Corruption he sees within the present Barbados Labour Party.

• harry turnover March 19, 2017 at 7:25 am

Carson C…wha you telling me ? Mara was gifted that seat.As a matter of fact ANYBODY riding on a DEM ticket would have gotten that seat as a GIFT…complements …the johnnies.
        Even Peter Bradshaw if he had been released when David died he too would have secured a land slide victory even a bigger one since he was targeting the yout by administering the word of the lord.
        CCC.. even you as the resident paling cock had gotten off the paling and put down your name you would have been gifted that seat although a yard fowl said that you already have a seat.

23. Carson C Cadogan March 18, 2017 at 8:41 am

Mara mash Barren Sanita Bradshaw’s toes!!! Wonder why at her age she is still CHILDLESS?

• Jay jay March 18, 2017 at 9:42 am

Mara mashed the toes of many Barbadian women, some of whom i am certain, are her constituents. These same woman she will approach next year, cap in hand, begging for a vote. After not representing them as she was elected , as you pointed out, to do.

• Shawn Phillips March 18, 2017 at 2:58 pm

You are such a dumb fool Carson .What does she being without a child have to do with anything . Thats the best idiots like you can do is insult but cant speak nothing of substance .Cant wait for elections to get rid of you and your party .You stupid fool.The clock is ticking so I expect this behaveour from you clowns .But the public will deal with you all.

• harry turnover March 19, 2017 at 7:38 am

CCC leave the young woman alone.You are suppose to be a big up man that have laugh and talk with the same woman in and outside………….so why ya putting on a mask and meking mock sport at she for? you is a lil boy or wha ? how you know she barren ? a certain yard fowl says you is a M aster P aling cock not a gynecologist .

24. Sherlock Holmes. March 18, 2017 at 8:45 am

The statement can in fact be deemed as insensitive, the reaction on this blog is overboard in some instances. I however have concerns about the willingness to allow certain ideologies to creep in to our society under the guise of expression take a look around the world and see what is going on in certain countries these people are very crafty what appears to be all well and good is a subtle way of pushing hidden agendas their one goal is world domination.My statements might not be clearly understood but i will sit back and observe .Miche who commented above definitely has an idea.

25. Maryam March 18, 2017 at 9:01 am

Sherlock Holmes… can you too not be happy for an intelligent young barbadian boy to be heard?

Im sure Mara children, if possessing such oratorical skills, would be on stages too.

Dont you think in a Society of different religions, it shows that muslims are throwing their backs behind the BLP?

Enough is enough. This Country can tell the last minute tryings of repairing roads.. we are in shambles.. and need desperate release.. elect the BLP and get this country stable again..

….voting bees.

26. gc March 18, 2017 at 9:06 am

Mara I am in sympathy with her poor thing what I would like her to know that God put all of us on this earth but he has also fashion some to be good and some to be bad what she should do is to concentrate on her 3 daughters because when you have glass windows that need cleaning you don’t go cleaning other persons own I have women friends who say they don’t want kids period for some reason or another that dies not mean they can’t get any but let her continue to talk ideal because at no time do you gather anything from what she says in parlama into

27. just observing March 18, 2017 at 9:11 am

Carson C Cadogan I am ashamed of the above comment about Ms Bradshaw. Are you a man Or a Mangoose. I HOPE THE CHILDLESS WOMEN IN YOUR CONSTITUENCY ARE READING THIS. I shouted that out loud!!!

28. Nathaniel Samuels March 18, 2017 at 9:16 am

Despicable and thoughtless from Mara Thompson and the sort of comment that shows she has no understanding of women affairs and she should not be allowed to get away with her statement. It really boggles the mind how women treat other women and especially someone like Mara who we assume had some modicum of common sense but she is proving, like her other DLP partners that the more she opens her mouth the more we get to know who and what she represents. What if her own children decide not to have children or are unable to do so by illness? Will that make either of them any less a woman or a person? Mara, take up your georgie bundle and go!

29. Peter Thompson March 18, 2017 at 9:28 am

Mara’s comment and the attitude behind it are despicable.

30. Wise choice March 18, 2017 at 9:36 am

My wife is 30 with no children. That’s by choice cause of these DLP inflicted hard times

• Ras March 18, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Tom Adams and Lemme Criagg inflicted the worst kind of hardships on my brothers and we still get children because our wives were not barren fig trees.

31. Jay jay March 18, 2017 at 9:45 am

Mara Thompson is prancing around Parliament like a headless mule unaware of what she is doing. But i forgive her….she was never a politician, but merely the wife of one.

32. Smh March 18, 2017 at 9:51 am

I attend the UWI campus if Mara have children then your don’t have a mother . NOT WITH THE DESPICABLE CODE YOUR DAUGHTER GO TO SCHOOL IN. FLAT BUTT DROPPING OUT SHE DAMN PANTS.

33. Harry March 18, 2017 at 10:32 am

Nothing really that CCC says comes a surprise to me as he is a rabid blind DLP supporter who sees nothing wrong with what the DEMS do, Ms. Thompson’s comments however are a surprise to me I had thought better of her

• Carson C Cadogan March 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I support Mara 100%.

These barren women give the most trouble.

Just observe the Opposition Leader.

34. Donild Trimp March 18, 2017 at 10:41 am

“I heard one member comment on the presence of a young man with whom I became familiar, and that he was picking up bottles wherever it was, well that is exactly the sort of place the child should be in at that sort of age, at the age of 13″

Only an “educated fool” would make a statement such as the one above.

The statement that a 13 year old Barbadian boy should be picking up bottles instead of showing an interest in politics goes to the mental state of the person uttering such nonsense, especially if that person is a MP in the ruling Gov’t.

It is equally ridiculous and lacks intellect when one equates child abuse with a 13 year old boy making a presentation at a political rally with the approval of his parents.

It does not look well for Barbados when individuals of such archaic views can be elected as representatives of the people.

What I gather from this whole episode is that the DLP is made up of some smart individuals and some real ignorant and stupid ones.

35. just observing March 18, 2017 at 10:43 am

Harry, you don’t know who CCC is? Leave you to guess. Naked in another forum exposed him.

36. Carol-A March 18, 2017 at 10:59 am

She should take some time to explain to us her husband’s role in the CLICO affair rather than run down people for their life choices.

37. Donild Trimp March 18, 2017 at 11:14 am

BT deleted my post criticizing the St.John MP for making stupid remarks.

38. Ernesta Catlyn March 18, 2017 at 11:31 am

I am a woman with one daughter. I would have loved more but God had other plans. I have three sisters; one chose not to have any children. I have friends and nieces, even a nephew who are adamant that they do not wish to have children. There are so many reasons why a person may not have a child. Elizabeth and Sara were barren – God, in His time gave them both sons. For anyone to attempt to ‘shame’ another, man or woman because he/she has no children is insensitive, inhumane and ungodly. Mara you are a mother but for some of the reasons why you had to ‘hold your belly’ for yours is why some persons opt not to have any. Be careful, very careful because God will not be mocked.

39. Francis March 18, 2017 at 11:33 am

I find most of the comments here to be repugnant
    Vile and totally put of place.
    It just shows how low our society has come with such language and disrespect.
    God help Barbados. We are surely a broken nation!!

40. Donild Trimp March 18, 2017 at 11:40 am

Only an “educated fool” would make a statement such as the one above.

41. Ernesta Catlyn March 18, 2017 at 11:40 am

Mara as Jamar Haynes said you seem bitter. Funny, you have always appeared that way to me. As someone who knew David for many years I always wondered about his choice of someone who appeared so cold, so lacking in femininity and warmth. Persons from St John said they understand that you left were David choose to live in St Philip because you didn’t appreciate the constituents ‘bothering’ you. You said in your usual cold way that you were not David. Your comments only confirm my analysis of you. Rest in Peace David, rest in peace.

42. monica wilson March 18, 2017 at 11:44 am

Some people are BROUGHT UP, others are DRAGGED UP. T
    he comments of C.C. are despicable, immature and nasty-minded, and shows without doubt which UP HE IS.

43. Troy March 18, 2017 at 1:28 pm

DLP picking at everything. They know their time is soon up and they’re trying to score points. So if they have to go in the gutter they will. So shame on you Mara. Only time will tell what will happen to your seat in st. John. And please somebody do me a favour….tell the people in St. John that Barrow dead long time……it’s time for change.

44. bajancanuck March 18, 2017 at 1:43 pm

The political future of the lives of Barbados is in peril. Therefore, this rhetoric should be based on rebuilding the islands economy. I admired Mia and the late David as chilhood political prodigies. I dare say, shouldnt we be proud of our youth being mentored in a positive manner. Be analytical in your thoughts and vision. One’s reproductive status doesnt determine their destiny. Come on people respect our ancestors blood and tears, not only for Barbados but the Caribbean on a holistic basis.

45. Ginger March 18, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Maria, Maria, Maria….that young man can pick up bottles and still be more articulate than you have EVER been to date. You can benefit from listening to him with an OPEN mind.

46. Shawn Phillips March 18, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Mara Thompson should be shame of her comments she hardly has anything good in Parliament to contribute unless her speech is written for her even then she hardly speech anything of substance. To attack two fellow women about not having children is a low blow and disrespectful .So is she saying that women that work in day care centers that have no children dont know how to take care of the kids them .She has daughters and i am sure she cant even discipline them .She ought to shut up and try to help the people she was elected to until she is voted out in the next election.Bunch of dlp tyrants

47. lswiltshire March 18, 2017 at 6:29 pm

A LOT OF DE WOMENS IN BUHBADOS ARE MULES CAUSE THEY TUBES BLOCKED ah lie?

some are mules cause no men nevah look at dem far less——————-

• Mark My Word March 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Ah true dat and some fooling dem husband that dem trying to get pregnant, a lot is lesbian now and dem here attacking like pit bulls.

48. Pat B March 18, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Since Mara did not grow up in Barbados she does not understand that it is normal for a 13 years old Barbadian youth to be interested in politics. I became interested in politics as a 13 year old young lady because I admired Billy Miller at that time, and I grew up in St. John. The only people who can make this change are the people in St. John with their votes. Never again should they allow anyone to come to St. John and be given votes just because of their affliation with the DLP. Mara has shown the people who she is and she does not care about St. John or the people who live there. That was very insulting to Sanita Bradshaw, whose father by the way is from St. John. It is time for change people. Mara should do the people a favor and resign.

49. Estwick March 18, 2017 at 8:50 pm

She should never have nothing to tell anyone bout them children and here’s on blocks liming smoking doing drugs and rolling with the drug deals and in ever party yuh could find Stupes but who cares St. John people still will put she back in

50. Monica Wilson March 18, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Some are BROUGHT UP and some are DRAGGED UP. The comments of C.C are despicable, immature and nasty minded and shows without doubt which UP he is.

51. Muddy Waters March 19, 2017 at 1:26 am

In here smell stinks with this Feminism Cancer that is spreading all over the world like an incurable virus . All these women who are crying out about she should apology to childless mothers and it is your right not to have a child. Thank God you do not have any, if your thoughts are like that, we would have more feminists today who want all the same rights or even more rights but none of the responsibility.

Quit with your satanic rant feminist. Who cares if it hurt your man feeling since you want to be the men of the world.

Go and read your bibles that your grandmother and mother send you to Sunday school to read and see that God created you out of the man’s rid.

All right minded women thank you for standing up to this dog shit smelling feminist cancer movement that is trying to take over our lovely rock.

You Barbadian Feminists today following the global feminist cancer created by the UN nations for the destruction of the family. Shame on you hell deserving witches, you are such an ungrateful group.

52. Sheron Inniss March 19, 2017 at 9:44 am

So what is so wrong with what the 13 years young did? He is a positive youth. He is using his intellect. Kudos to him. I wish more of Bim’s children would do the same and stop wasting the people taxes. Are they not supposed to go to school and learn well and be a positive influence in the world.

53. Leadpipe March 19, 2017 at 11:17 am

Some o’ wunna ain behavin like wunna had nuh edicashun atall atall! We have persons who have been duly elected to public office, through a democratic process, and who owe us, the people of this country, the right to good leadership, sound judgement and prudent fiscal management. As a ” born and gine ded B” and that B means BAJAN, I look forward to the opportunity to again make such choice. All of these silly distracting comments that we are allowing ourselves to be caught up in, should never distract us from the fact that we are a country in crisis, and all those who were elected to serve us should either do what they were elected to do, or shut to hell up and wait to be fired with the mark of that precious “X” each citizen of this still precious island possesses.

54. Austin Adams March 19, 2017 at 8:02 pm

As a Bajan I am surprised we are not receiving any information from our Barbados Embassy in London about whats going on in the United Kingdom, before the present administration took over we Bajans DLP or BLP used to received news by emails which we were able to pass on to all interested parties, I am appealing to the Barbados today to see if they can help us on this matter, which will be much appreciated .I have left my email too numerous to mention every time I visit the embassy

55. Ricky March 19, 2017 at 9:08 pm

@Rawle Maycock Why should Mara be in Castries picking up bottles? Sally Cools came to Canada where I live and became a policitician to the testament of ambitious immigrants. She has all rights to be there she is naturalized. As for you being an indigenous Bajan, I believe you because Bajans who love to Tout how indigenous they are sit on their butts and watch everybody else take over their country the one that you so proud of and want to kill Mara for. Get up off your butt and start a business, invent something, do something to increase the GDP. You gonna sit down all your life and watch the Trinis and the Brazilians and Everybody else come run your country??? And choose the insult the immigrants who come to Barbados to make something of themselves. Your day contains the same 24 hrs!!!

56. The One March 20, 2017 at 8:15 am

Mara is just keeping with the trend in her party. Rather than deal with the issues at hand they starting from the top with Mr Freundel himself launch public low minded attacks on members of the opposition and think that it is justified.

57. Sickofwunna March 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Where do ppl get this foolish notion that only in Barbados does foreign ppl have positions? Do you idiots reAd or keep up with the news? The first female Governor General of st Lucia is a Bajan. Do you hear ppl in st Lucia acting as ignorant as you?

58. Nathaniel Samuels March 21, 2017 at 7:24 am

Muddy Waters, you are really an ignorant idiot. There are women who are childless because of many reasons; some because they do not want, some because they cannot get even though they try and these reasons have been there from time immemorial. Read the Bible as you say and you will see that every woman did not have children.
    The two women that Mara referenced are strong women who have standing in Barbados and throughout the region and I am sure they will continue to make outstanding contributions to their country, despite not having children. Many who have children are just living, maybe like Mara, in the shadow of their spouse and in her case not making the type of contribution that her status as a parliamentarian demands. Mara needs to go not only for her statement but for her lack of contribution to the development of this country .

59. Helicopter(8P) March 21, 2017 at 10:56 am

Mia Just remember that at that age of thirteen you engaged in Girl Guides and playing your guitar along with singing. Lucella Blanchard and June Hall had led you all in social and leadership rolls as girls. Some kids are gifted in some things more than others so sometimes it’s good to give them exposure as long as it’s wholesome.

60. Helicopter(8P) March 21, 2017 at 11:06 am

Mia you ask how do I know these things? You and your troop autographed my Chemistry note book back in 1969 @ Presentation College campus.

61. Helicopter(8P) March 21, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Correction to above mention person;that should have read Miss Lorraine Hall!

62. Helicopter(8P) March 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm

An apology for name confusion at this time I meant to print Mara please excuse me Mrs Thompson!