Compton suffer another defeat

Home Investment Waterford Compton’s hopes of premier league survival suffered another blow Thursday night after a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Belfield Soccer Club when the Digicel-sponsored Premier League continued at the Wildey, St Michael AstroTurf.

In the first match of the night Silver Sands FC came out 2-0 winners against St Andrew Lions playing in Division One.

On a cold night at the turf a victory was an  important result for both Belfield, who before kick-off were sitting in eighth position with five points, and Compton in ninth place, with only three points after seven games played.

Both teams looked nervous in the early stages of the first half with both defences being able to handle attacks from the men on the offensive, although having an equal percentage of possession.

Waterford Compton’s defender Shaquille Cox trying to prevent Belfield’s Trevin Barker from whipping in a cross.

The game was in the balance up until the 17th  minute when Belfield’s winger Trevin Barker displayed some brilliant dribbling ability to get away from defenders on the left flank where he got to the by-line and whipped in an inviting left-footed cross, which was simply too good for the Compton’s backline to handle and Abayomi Lopez headed the ball past the keeper to give Belfield the 1-0 lead .

After the goal Compton who were now chasing the game and searching for an equalizer seemed to be moving with much more purpose and urgency, playing the ball out to the flanks in effort to create goal scoring opportunities.

The equalizer wasn’t to be and Belfield would double their advantage on the stroke of  half time when a ball from the midfield found the path of Zinio Harris who was then brought down in the box by Beniko Worrell leaving referee Adrian Skeete with no choice but to award a penalty kick.

Alvin chapman stepped up and easily converted from the spot to make the score 2-0 leaving Compton with a mountain to climb at half-time.

The second half was more of the same but  Belfield’s Henderson Richard put the game to bed in the 63rd minute with a finish from inside the box making the final score 3-0 in favour of  the Belfield Soccer Club.

Source: Anmar Goodridge-Boyce

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *