Barbadians urged to screen for glaucoma

Residents are being urged to get screened for glaucoma, a disease which can cause blindness if left untreated.

“Unlike in other countries, where the risk is less and people say check when you are over 40 or check when you are 65, in Barbados, anyone 21 and over should have a check for glaucoma,” Dr Dawn Grosvenor told Barbados TODAY.

She said that “the silent killer of sight” was equivalent to non-communicable diseases such as high blood pressure and diabetes.

“People get into trouble with glaucoma and lose their vision from it if it is not treated adequately or if it is not picked up early enough. This is something you should be checking, not just high blood pressure and diabetes . . . but also glaucoma because that has a very high prevalence here in Barbados and the Caribbean,” Dr Grosvenor, the sole glaucoma specialist on the island, said at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Glaucoma Testing Day held this morning.

People wait their turn to be screened at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Glaucoma Testing Day

She explained that as a hereditary disease, those with a family history were likely to get glaucoma earlier; and she advised individuals experiencing blurry vision to get tested.

“Family history is so important. If a parent has glaucoma and their child is going to develop it, usually that child will develop it 10 years earlier than the parent,” Dr Grosvenor said.

“It is really imperative that people come in to get checked before they notice something is wrong with their vision,” she said.

12 Responses to Barbadians urged to screen for glaucoma

1. Jennifer March 18, 2017 at 5:36 pm

I read somewhere that one of the benefits of marijuana is that it is good for glaucoma. Maybe some research and some medicine should be made for the condition.

2. Reg Marshall March 18, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Some research has shown that Marijuana lowers eye pressure, however it damages the optic nerve. Please get tested early if Glaucoma runs in your family, it can be treated.

3. Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 3:56 am

Who do the research????????? The devil on the loose.

• Peter March 19, 2017 at 10:03 am

Careless Jennifer. Of course you don’t mean what you wrote. Medical and medicine research is invaluable in evaluating both negative and positive results and what are the best suited treatments to use depending on their body’s nomenclature. Recearch is a good thing. Il law, Judges make decisions based on research on historical trials. Engineers do research, Corporations worldwide do research. Military do research. Everyone does research. Even Politicians do it. Check out Nanotechnology. Just Google or YouTube it.. Blow your mind. Stay sweet.

4. Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 10:51 am

What I am saying is that what we as a BLACK people need to do, is to do our own research on Black people. And put a stop to this reliant, fall for all shyte. Listen sweet boy, Do you think that drugs affect both black and white people the same way???????

5. jrsmith March 19, 2017 at 10:56 am

@, Jennifer and Peter , hail, hail, both on the line, as a diabetic for almost a decade , every day in the ( UK) I have friends who I have change they minds of getting tested for diabetices , when I saw this progamme in Barbados yes brilliant, everyone should get screen , whether your family is effected or not , it has no friends

Never heard of anyone taking marijuana to help this ailment…….

There is lots of people who are not realizing they are diabetic , my consultant did explain people not realizing it took years before the problem is detected .in themselves………………………….
    As for myself and many friends of mine , we have had or waiting on (cataract) removal also I have a compulsory eye check annually , where the back of your eyes is check , now up here opticians is carrying out this special test…….

Well done for our people ………………………………………………..

• Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 11:19 am

jrsmith – hahahahahaha. That is why I love you jrsmith. Your talk remind me of my sweet friend in west minister. I know what you are saying, my great uncle was diagnosed and was still blinded dying two weeks ago at the age of 87yrs. We need our own research centers and test subjects to match.

Did you having a roast lunch today????? I am having pigeon peas and black wild rice. Have a great day SIR.

6. jrsmith March 19, 2017 at 12:47 pm

@ , My favorite lady Jennifer, hail , hail , for dinner special basmati, rice , leg of New Zealand lamb side dish of stir fry sweet peppers onions chopped tomatoes with mint , gravy and a nice bottle of port… may all good thing happen to you…

• Jennifer March 19, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Thank you sweetie. You are just culinary evil. Sounds so tasty. I am not a big meat eater only chicken or tuna (costly here). I have a big feast coming up soon. So you won’t see me for some time. Keep sweet and safe SIR.

7. Peter March 19, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Both of you now got me hungry …. again already… Why, this morning I made myself some real French toast and downed it with smoked salmon. About 6 coconut breaded jumbo prawns. and coffee. Lavish, I know but that’s my style. I made it all from scratch myself. Today I am having Greek Gyro seasoned lamb and meat styled rotisserie complete with pita bread and the right iceberg lettuce and sauce. Perhaps some day I’ll get you both to join me for one of my Lasagna, Rich garlic bread and of courser Italian wine. I promise…. Pudding and Souse is reserved for Saturday perhaps with some Karaoke…. My friend and I thrilled folks all over the place especially overseas. Self praise is no recommendation but a five star hotel owner in Dubai asked us to return. Promised free lodging and meals et al.

8. jrsmith March 19, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Good luck to you sweet people may everything in your lives be prosperous…….

9. Jahlisa Diamond